• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

MilkyJoe

But no issues buying a controller for 150 bucks. So tired of this console gamers are cheap as shit and don't enjoy premium products.

Especially when there is a cheap model on the market that perfectly fits their fiscal needs. What it is people want something but don't want to pay for it.

$499 is too much in general, but I think they did an absolutely miserable job of showing off why this piece of kit is worth $499. Specs do nothing for me or for any potential buyer. You need a tangible reason. The footage of a few of the games looked good (I assume Anthem was the enhanced version), but you need to show the Scorpio version next to the standard Xbox One version to make it clear what makes it worth spending double to get it. As it stands, we know Forza is always going to look amazing.. I didn't see anything in the trailer for it that made me think it couldn't already be done.

Respectfully disagree. Forza looked amazing. That's all running at 60fps. Weather and everything. Looked amazing to me.

DieH@rd

Banned
the ps4pro will get a price drop announcement today, or close to when xbox one x is released
There is no need for that this summer. X1X will arrive on Nov7, almost six months from now.

I see it becoming $50 cheaper in October, together with some ps4 exclusive (GTSport for example).

In retrospect, the levels of rage and outright hostility to rumors like this is always kind of baffling after the fact. But I guess if you're deeply, DEEPLY emotionally and psychologically invested in something, hearing anything that might hurt it's chances is like a personal insult, so I guess I can see where some of the anger was coming from.

But yeah, it's still a weird line to cross to make it personal and start calling out the guy that just passed on the information. People forget, "Don't shoot the messenger" for some reason.

Being emotionally invested in a company is weird.. one thing is that you support their products cause you like them but holding up a shield is just too much lol

Shoeless

Being emotionally invested in a company is weird.. one thing is that you support their products cause you like them but holding up a shield is just too much lol

Enh, it's tribalism. Some people have rival sports teams, others have rival religions, still others have comic book companies, and a lot of people in the USA have rival political parties, so consoles ain't no big stretch.

Given the specs (RX 480-580 performance and a big bump in RAM), $499 is just about what I'd expect - slightly less than a comparable PC but with a nicer form factor. The 4K performance matches up with what I've seen my PC do when I bother cranking the resolution up that high, and it does look great.

That price won't age well though, I'd expect PC components to outclass the Xbox One X in less than a year and it won't be long before PC players are running 40/30 ultra on even budget ($500 or less) boxes. I suspect Microsoft will be aggressive and push the X heavily as the default Xbox by holiday of 2018, with a better price to match.

Will be curious to see how it plays out.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, there isn't a consensus on what "gamers" want or don't want to pay for.

For me, personally, I can't see any PC that will let me play 4K games for $500. That alone is the cost of graphics cards most people spend every year and a half. Even if this Xbox X remains technically relevant for only two years, at worst, it's still priced competitively.

Given the specs (RX 480-580 performance and a big bump in RAM), $499 is just about what I'd expect - slightly less than a comparable PC but with a nicer form factor. The 4K performance matches up with what I've seen my PC do when I bother cranking the resolution up that high, and it does look great.

That price won't age well though, I'd expect PC components to outclass the Xbox One X in less than a year and it won't be long before PC players are running 40/30 ultra on even budget ($500 or less) boxes. I suspect Microsoft will be aggressive and push the X heavily as the default Xbox by holiday of 2018, with a better price to match.

Yup. I do remember now the Scorpio was compared to a gaming PC before the DF reveal of the specs. Now we see why.

If someone was seriously thinking about getting a gaming PC, the One X isnt a bad choice. Me? I want a PC for more than gaming.

Guess the percentage of xb1 gamers that bought it in relation to the install base? 1 to 2 million out of 27 million or so and that is somehow great? It's fine for niche accessory just like psvr which is even more expensive but not something to compare to a platform you have been hyping up for over a year and then end up making the slim look the better deal

Part of the problem may have been the way its been hyped. I said this before...MS was treating this like its their next gen with all the attention they were giving it. Compare that to Sony who basically just threw the Pro out there and said here you go....

But....just like the Elite controller, just like the Pro this is a niche product. This was never meant to replace the One S.

This was supposed to just be another one of those quick leak threads where everyone is like 'No way!" or "Way!" and then the price would drop on one side of that fence or the other and everyone would be all "CROW" and "Dorito pope is mah boi!" and then bam.. moving on!

Instead we have this.... just this beautiful thing here. A junior slayed. Talking out necks left and right. Wild backflips of junior college level psych 101 ideas as to the state of GAFs emotional attachment to a particular large corporation???

I love E3 so fucking much.

I forgot what thread this was until I saw this...lol.

Legendary status. No conference after can top this thread. Sony' and Nintendo's s will pale in comparison.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder how much the vapor chamber piping contributed to the 500 dollar price point? PS5 needs to copy that as i feel that's the biggest contribution to the heat and size of the machine

Shifty1897

All my apologies to Geoff. Sorry man, i didn't believe myself. Thanks for the scoop

Curious, did you think it would be more or less expensive? To me, this thing screamed $499 from the get go. I think I said as much on GAF last week. If you thought it would have been more money, I could believe it, but I don't understand the people who thought this thing was going to be $400.

Enh, it's tribalism. Some people have rival sports teams, others have rival religions, still others have comic book companies, and a lot of people in the USA have rival political parties, so consoles ain't no big stretch.

It's foolishness. I have preferred teams and all that, but I've never cared enough about what anyone else likes in comparison to my personal preferences.

the ps4pro will get a price drop announcement today, or close to when xbox one x is released

It doesn't need one, why would they? If the pro was 500 then yeah it would be getting a price drop, but I don't know why you would drop price when your competition just came in 100 higher than you.

They can continue to make whatever they were making AND still be 100 cheaper.

Shoeless

Curious, did you think it would be more or less expensive? To me, this thing screamed $499 from the get go. I think I said as much on GAF last week. If you thought it would have been more money, I could believe it, but I don't understand the people who thought this thing was going to be $400.

I don't think it was totally unreasonable to think that $399 was the price, but it did mean that Microsoft was going back to the mindset of "We don't care about being taken to the cleaners financially with a pretty hefty loss on sales."

I think it was just people overestimated how badly MS wanted to "win" the console war, since the only way they could keep it at that price was to take a loss. Which, to be fair, had actually been pretty standard practice for most console makers except Nintendo. But now both Sony and MS no longer share that sentiment. I think a lot of people were hoping MS still did, but now it's clear they're not willing to go that far anymore.

Toki767

I wonder how much the vapor chamber piping contributed to the 500 dollar price point? PS5 needs to copy that as i feel that's the biggest contribution to the heat and size of the machine

categorizing-two-phase-devices.jpg

Basically not much at all. But it sounds cool so they can use it as a reason for the higher price.

00ich

The Xbox One X will always be significantly more expensive to produce than the Xbox One S. The 192bit interface with the 12GB Ram will always be more expensive. Same goes for the cooling.
I don't think that's the case for the pro. So I think if anyone Sony will phase out the base model, but tbh overcharging for the high end model and putting that money in the base model's price will be very attractive for both.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
categorizing-two-phase-devices.jpg

Basically not much at all. But it sounds cool so they can use it as a reason for the higher price.

If bulk savings lowers the cost, Sony should definitely go for that and use the power and heat savings for making a powerful PS5, atleast IMO.

fireflame

I often read that an american worker can buy a modern console with just one day of work is that true? It seems pays are higher in Usa than in France, but that stils feel a bit extreme.

Gaenor

Banned
I often read that an american worker can buy a modern console with just one day of work is that true? It seems pays are higher in Usa than in France, but that stils feel a bit extreme.

A week of work for the average American would sound more realistic if we're talking about a 500$ console.

You'd need six figures for one day but two days is definitely doable by a standard American worker. At $25 dollars an hour or $52,000 a year you're getting $200 dollars a day. Problem is this is pre-tax so your take home can be quite a bit less.

Widge

They were expecting too much. I couldn't believe people thought this mid-gen refresh was both going to claw back marketshare from Sony and under in a new age in Microsoft's 1st party efforts in one fell swoop. It was never going to do either of those things, so I'm not sure what it was that tricked people into thinking it would.

Possibly. I think that is where the $399 train of thought comes from. Competitive, sales, win the market back. But I guess when they said it was a premium product for the premium market, they meant it.

They were expecting too much. I couldn't believe people thought this mid-gen refresh was both going to claw back marketshare from Sony and under in a new age in Microsoft's 1st party efforts in one fell swoop. It was never going to do either of those things, so I'm not sure what it was that tricked people into thinking it would.

Fanboys always hear what they want to hear. MS announces the Scorpio, boasts "Most Powerful Console Ever!" and immediately they want to believe that this is a fresh start for Xbox, essentially a reset button. Even when Microsoft clarifies what Scorpio in later interviews, all fanboys heard was the initial announcement.

Think back to the Chalkboard "__ will save Xbox One!" meme. Its a meme that deliberately pokes fun at this fanboy mentality to latch on to any and all new announcements as a potentially game-changing new development that will propel their console back on top and allow them to be smug about it.

Possibly. I think that is where the $399 train of thought comes from. Competitive, sales, win the market back. But I guess when they said it was a premium product for the premium market, they meant it.

The really sad thing is even at $399 I don't see the XboneX having much if any impact. Both PS4 and One S will be $250 this holiday season, possibly as low as $200 with Black Friday deals.

A $400 double dip can't do anything about that, especially with no exclusive games on it.

Top Bottom