• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley will not be attending E3

Because Geoff isn't there to interview Boogie and ask him what he thought of the conferences? Nah.
I'd say this one's going to be very exciting because studios and publishers want to showcase their next gen games.

No not just him, also the rest of the dropouts, him not doing it is just another sign where E3 is at right now imo.

Butz

Banned
No not just him, also the rest of the dropouts, him not doing it is just another sign where E3 is at right now imo.
Isn't the other dropout just Sony? And they'll have an event sometime around E3 anyway, they have to reveal their console after all.

Grinchy

Banned
You don't need to spend millions to get up on a stage and show mostly CG trailers of 3rd party games that won't be out for years. E3 has become pointless.

The Alien

Banned
Hi,

While I would love to be at E3 and providing the coverage that none of you watch, I will not be there. Please accept my statement as if you cared.

My reason for attendance is that, frankly, I've received a better offer. I have been invited to attend an intimate, week long retreat Kojima at the Sony lodge. Kojima will bring the oils, I'll be bringing the Doritos (a lifetime supply was part of the contract when I sold my soul).

While I know this may disappoint at least one person, please know that my decision is purely pleasure related.

Yours truly,
Geoffy

Vlightray

His youtube channel Gameslice during E3 became a huge advertising stream the last few years with little to no content and irrelevant Youtube (ahem....)stars.... No Disappointment here.

kiphalfton

What game is he working on? Oh, he isn't. Well then why should I or anybody else care then.

Seriously though, there's no point watching e3 anyways. All the good reveals bombard YouTube or gaming sites.

Last edited:

Airola

Nah, E3 wasn't really like Christmas but it was more like pre-Christmas which in some ways was sometimes even better than Christmas. It's like getting some new toy catalogues from mail and flipping through them over and over again having a sense of absolute wonder and full of hopes and dreams.

Up until the Wii U reveal and a couple of years after that I still felt that. Now it's pretty much gone. Things were still exciting during the first couple of Wii U years.

I used to watch the conferences and then watch a lot of shows that watched theconferences and talked about them. I ended up seeing the conferences over and over again and it was fun.

I've still watched the conferences every year but my excitement for them has been in a serious downhill from maybe 2015 onwards.

Gargus

Banned
Who?

I've heard his name I think. But really if I have been gaming for 40 years and not know who he is then I'd say he isn't too important and not attending e3 won't mean shit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who?

I've heard his name I think. But really if I have been gaming for 40 years and not know who he is then I'd say he isn't too important and not attending e3 won't mean shit.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

AGRacing

Who cares? Does he make games? Does he work for the studios? Another insignificant “presenter” that no one cares about.

The show he was hosting is still happening without him... (and he makes it sound like he’s been hosting it for 25 years which is hilarious) so the question is why does he want to put the knife in their back on the way out the door?

It should be obvious considering “exclusive reveals” are the currency of shows like E3 and the game awards and he owns one of those.

Last edited:
Longtime gaming journalist and personality Geoff Keighley, host and creator of The Game Awards, will not be attending the Electronic Entertainment Expo for the first time in 25 years. To that end, he will not hold the E3 Coliseum event, a highly anticipated newsbreaking platform with panel discussions of game developers providing more details on their biggest titles.

[/URL]

6T3vuUy.jpg
PS5 8TF confirmed.
MS will get all in E3 big show powerful console and vision for the future[ play anywhere, backwards compatibility, streaming, gamingpass etc.]
Sony has no future vision and weaker console... that to much for sony fanboys like this man... when he will be here he must be praise MS and this is to much for his fanboy brain ..

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Isn't the other dropout just Sony? And they'll have an event sometime around E3 anyway, they have to reveal their console after all.
Sony will absolutely not have an event around E3, when all the world's journalists come together in LA. Unless they do a Microsoft and open their own event literally across the street from E3.

EA dropped out. Activision dropped out. Nintendo dropped out of press conferences. Microsoft dropped out. The question should be who actually still is at E3. It's pretty much THQ Nordic (who might not be there this year because of soccer, like they did two years ago), Ubisoft, Bethesda and Nintendo these days. Everybody else is doing their own thing or nothing at all.

Why does this come off like someone trying to make themselves seem more important than they actually are to the event? A simple "Unfortunately everyone, I will not be able to attend E3 this year because of other engagements, but stay tuned!" would have sufficed. Instead, he had to further inject a little drama, as to not so indirectly cast aspersions on E3 itself lol. The show goes on!

As others have said, only the conferences themselves draw major interest, and everything else such as information about the games or footage etc we can pick through for ourselves from all the coverage generated. From what I've seen on twitter, the guy makes it sound like his not being there is taking something of significance from the event.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
Sony will absolutely not have an event around E3, when all the world's journalists come together in LA. Unless they do a Microsoft and open their own event literally across the street from E3.

EA dropped out. Activision dropped out. Nintendo dropped out of press conferences. Microsoft dropped out. The question should be who actually still is at E3. It's pretty much THQ Nordic (who might not be there this year because of soccer, like they did two years ago), Ubisoft, Bethesda and Nintendo these days. Everybody else is doing their own thing or nothing at all.

I don't really care about event in itself, for me, the conferences are E3.

What was the reason for Geoff doing this? Other than Sony not being at E3 , was there some big new terrible change for this year's E3?

thelastword

Banned
Another death bell for E3...…...Sony, the most successful gaming company and then the guy who owns the game awards is not going to E3? Ding Dong Ding Dong...….

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Why is that important?

Has he made any games? Is he the new Shigeru Miyamoto?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Make a thread about MiyazakiHatesKojima or other random forum member not attending either next or something? It's not like Geoff's bs show has any less of the bs people criticize E3 for, but obv he'd rather pimp his own stuff over other stuff he has no sway in. Plus, no Sony/Kojima for him.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is this supposed to be big news.?
No kidding, I heard a AI programmer got hit by car at a conference and it barely makes the news. The guy is from my state too. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...game_dev_Dave_Mark_following_car_accident.php

I guess with his pedigree and his connections, he was bound to say something. I betcha he’s at the new console reveals. Honestly, he seems like a nice person, but wtf do I do with that information? I watch his VGA’s every year, but no one gives a shit if I just stopped one year. lol I have gotten to be a humble consumer and I’ve kinda tried to not associate a brand or anything to a person anymore. Too many personal opinions that shouldn’t be associated with specific products.

Last edited:

Airola

Why does this come off like someone trying to make themselves seem more important than they actually are to the event? A simple "Unfortunately everyone, I will not be able to attend E3 this year because of other engagements, but stay tuned!" would have sufficed. Instead, he had to further inject a little drama, as to not so indirectly cast aspersions on E3 itself lol. The show goes on!

As others have said, only the conferences themselves draw major interest, and everything else such as information about the games or footage etc we can pick through for ourselves from all the coverage generated. From what I've seen on twitter, the guy makes it sound like his not being there is taking something of significance from the event.

Well, first of all, E3 has been huge thing for him both hobbywise and careerwise. So in a personal sense there is a lot of drama for him in it.
Gametrailers.com and Spike TV haven't been a thing in a long while now but a lot of E3 coverage and game award things came from those outlets. Plus he has been involved with different game awards from 1994 onwards.

Anyone who was familiar with Gametrailers.com knew who Geoff Keighley was and there were a lot of people still looking forward to seeing him do his things on E3.
Personally I haven't followed him for years now and his Game Awards show hasn't really interested me that much, but that's perhaps more about me losing interest in current games altogether. And maybe also a bit of a sense of personality and identity of gaming coverage fading away year by year. Spike changed Video Game Awards' format into something laughable and Geoff left (VGX Awards, lol). Defy Media bought Gametrailers.com only to kill it completely. E3 started to lose momentum and interest. Nintendo stopped doing E3 conferences. I guess all of that has also caused Geoff to lose momentum too, but he tried to keep the awards and coverage going on (we can agree or disagree whether it has been successful).

Your second paragraph is true but it's only that much true in today's video game and internet culture, not so much in the past. He used to be a big part in actually creating that coverage we used to "pick through ourselves." It's just that today it's not a personality driven thing anymore as a whole lot of independent regular Youtubers are quick and ready to cover these things. The thing is that in the past century the amount of content creators for video games coverage has exploded. A lot of people who in the past just watched and listened what professional outlets produced have now turned into amateur and also somewhat professional content producers themselves. You have to see this from Geoff's point of view too. The old days of video game coverage is dead and that changing over 25 years worth of career must sting a bit. It shouldn't hurt us to let him be a tiny bit dramatic for a few odd sentences in a short statement.

jakinov

The show does need to evolve, but move in more of a digital and global direction
By Geoff

One month later, a leaked E3 2020 pitch deck proposal described the show’s potential swerve into the realm of a “fan, media, and influencer festival” with 10,000 more attendees. Amid huge booths would be “experience hubs,” where celebrity athletes or actors might rub shoulders with regular gamer attendees. (Keighley said he read the pitch deck “like everyone else online,” not commenting further on the role it played in his decision.) Today, the ESA confirmed its new emphasis on live events, experiential zones, special guest gamers and celebrities in a press release, describing E3 as "reimagined."
From an article

Top Bottom