• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

So many more than 2 good adventure levels. The boss levels do kind of suck though.

The only ones I really like are 33 and 35.

Also, to compound my misery, 50 levels x 3 stars per level is 150. Apparently that only works out as 98% though...

B4dGk3KIEAE7E4Z.jpg

As I loved RE 1&2 so much, I wanted to give this one a proper chance and play it all before I made the above little rant. I can't say it was particularly difficult getting 3* on all of them but the achievement not popping, so lazy.

CRS

It did pop up for me, after a few seconds after I got the last star.

Every achievement has popped up for me so far so I guess it's just you.

Going to see if I can get every achievement without looking for hints, especially that Cleaner one.

Biggest complaint about Adventure Mode are the Cube levels, regardless of the play mode. Other than that, I love it and can't wait to go back and try to get top Leaderboard positions.

It did pop up for me, after a few seconds after I got the last star.

Every achievement has popped up for me so far so I guess it's just you.
They've been a bit laggy for me, and for some reason one that popped last night after I did it popped again a few minute ago while I was watching TV.
Going to see if I can get every achievement without looking for hints, especially that Cleaner one.
Why would you need hints for any of the other ones? Anyway, I'd say just look up the Cleaner one, but it's up to you.

You'll never get Cleaner without looking it up.

If you want to take that as a challenge, go ahead.

Figuring out Cleaner was a fun challenge kind of like the Smile achievement was in GW2. Took about the same amount of time for that one to be figured out as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really hate the Geoms that were added with the DS/Wii GeoWars before GeoWars 2 launched. Now instead of a concrete "survive as long as you can and you get a higher multiplier" you have to rush through a bunch of "dust"/Geoms to get a higher score. Throws me off having to focus on those plus the enemies. :/

Oreoleo

I really hate the Geoms that were added with the DS/Wii GeoWars before GeoWars 2 launched. Now instead of a concrete "survive as long as you can and you get a higher multiplier" you have to rush through a bunch of "dust"/Geoms to get a higher score. Throws me off having to focus on those plus the enemies. :/

Yeah, there was something very pure about the geom-less GeoWars1 that I totally miss. While I've "gotten over it" and learned to love the geom, so to speak, I do wish there was a no-geom mode in the sequels.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The Deadline achievement is extremely easy if you never shoot any enemies. Nothing but purple stars or pink things will ever spawn, making it super easy to just wait out the entire 3 minutes.

CRS

Figuring out Cleaner was a fun challenge kind of like the Smile achievement was in GW2. Took about the same amount of time for that one to be figured out as well.

Just so I don't ruin anything:

Yeah, I have an idea on how to get it. Just need to brute force it and pick the right name.

antitrop

Yeah, there was something very pure about the geom-less GeoWars1 that I totally miss. While I've "gotten over it" and learned to love the geom, so to speak, I do wish there was a no-geom mode in the sequels.

I booted up Geometry Wars on Steam a few days ago, played a few rounds, and then went back to 3.
They're completely different games, really. I do like 3 better, as it offers a bit more variety. I don't mind collecting geoms at all.

Also, launching the Turret drone when there's a ton of enemies on screen is a ridiculously satisfying feeling only matched by something like Bangai-O.

Haven't been playing GW3 as much as I should, but lately I've been getting into some Adventure Mode and trying for some high scores.

My favorites so far:

33: Dome of Doom - 45mil (Did this a few moments ago: http://www.twitch.tv/espanajefff/c/5682793)
35: Endurance - 324mil
36: Trash Compactor - 27mil
39: Hexend - 12mil

I'm on PS4, btw.

Dome of Doom is probably my favorite. It's fun to figure out when exactly to use my bombs/powerups to maximize my score. Gonna give that one another try in a few.

Checkpoint is a great mode. I need to give the other Checkpoint levels some more love. Claustrophobia is another good one that I wish had more levels. Really intense.

Turret drone and Snipe are awesome.

In terms of trophies, I'm disappointed that there are 2 of them you can only get during local multiplayer. I'm also disappointed in these online modes. Played it the first day and never touched it again. Still, a great addition to everyone's library.

puck1337

Just discovered that my 2 year old managed to buy this through my PSN account, so... I guess that I should start playing? At least I liked the original...

Muzy72

Banned
Is there really any difference in PS4 and XBO versions? Have a good $80 in both PSN and XBL accounts but don't know which to use.

f0lken

Is there really any difference in PS4 and XBO versions? Have a good $80 in both PSN and XBL accounts but don't know which to use.

I'd get the PS4 version if only because I hope it will be cross-buy for VITA (Even if you don't have one doesn't hurt to have another copy don't you think?)

Muzy72

Banned
I'd get the PS4 version if only because I hope it will be cross-buy for VITA (Even if you don't have one doesn't hurt to have another copy don't you think?)

Oh snap, I forgot about the Vita version. Is it confirmed Cross Buy? Because if so, it's a no brainer.

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm always getting hit with nice surprises since I only casually visit the gaming side. Didn't know about a Geometry Wars 3 and didn't know it was already out. This is a good Sunday.

It's a gooooooood Sunday.

Just discovered that my 2 year old managed to buy this through my PSN account, so... I guess that I should start playing? At least I liked the original...
At least you didn't make a thread about it and blame Sony.

Yes, you should definitely give this a try if you liked the original.

Vire

antitrop stop being such a scrub and beat one of my Classic scores, I need a reason to come back to this game.

antitrop

antitrop stop being such a scrub and beat one of my Classic scores, I need a reason to come back to this game.

Sorry, been so caught up in Adventure Mode. Tryin' to get that 1 million Geoms! I'm at like 850k.

A guy actually PM'd me to congratulate me for beating one of his #1 scores, he was just upset I didn't upload the run to YouTube.

Vire

Sorry, been so caught up in Adventure Mode. Tryin' to get that 1 million Geoms! I'm at like 850k.

A guy actually PM'd me to congratulate me for beating one of his #1 scores, he was just upset I didn't upload the run to YouTube.

Haha nice. I'm still only at level 30 or something in Adventure mode for some reason. It's not that I dislike it, I just really like the competitive element of the leaderboards for these kinds of games and I feel like that is lost a bit in Adventure mode since there are so many levels to choose from.

Some of the pure 3D levels are also a little frustrating because I find myself running into enemies that spawn in right as I'm turning a corner. But I'll keep trucking at it.

Only 20k more to go!

That was my last achievement for the 1000/1000 and I thought it would take forever, but playing some of these stages where you get thousands everytime and it didn't take long at all.

Im 4th and 7th on levels 33 and 35 (only 2 adventure mode levels I played)

4th with 60.76m and 7th with 623.4m, I beat my previous score of 599m but really fucked up the last 2/3 minutes, could have had over 700m if I hadnt died so much :(

BHK3

Banned
Bought it yesterday off Amazon, few questions.

Is it me or is the music...off? I can't put my finger on it, there's something about it...like it's a bit muted.

Is the hit detection really strict, bugged, or am I just bad? I think It's been too long since I played an arcade shooter and I've gotten too used to shmups having their little kill circle in the bottom center of the ships.

Those are just two things I wasn't sure about, other than that I'm playing on lower visuals because it gets way too cluttered, I found myself scared of my own shadow running from my little helper shit or going around the king sphere because of the weird two nodes that circle it thinking they are enemies. These levels are sure making me dizzy though, the peanut shaped ones are so disorienting.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Is it me or is the music...off? I can't put my finger on it, there's something about it...like it's a bit muted.

Is the hit detection really strict, bugged, or am I just bad? I think It's been too long since I played an arcade shooter and I've gotten too used to shmups having their little kill circle in the bottom center of the ships.

Those are just two things I wasn't sure about, other than that I'm playing on lower visuals because it gets way too cluttered, I found myself scared of my own shadow running from my little helper shit or going around the king sphere because of the weird two nodes that circle it thinking they are enemies. These levels are sure making me dizzy though, the peanut shaped ones are so disorienting.

Hit box is just bigger than past games and Cave shmups.

The graphics definitely get in the way of action sometimes, especially when you blow up black holes.

Yeah the music is fucking janky. I just mute it and I play awesome video game music in the background.

StewboaT_

I've also noticed the poorly mixed music. Bummer, as it's pretty crucial to these types of games (for me). I'm still enjoying it quite a bit, though.

Shaneus

I've just come off an hour-ish session of King mode on GW2. It really does have a different feel to GW3, and (perhaps unsurprisingly to some of you) it's way, way better IMO. The jet black background just makes you feel like you're staring into an infinite void or at worst, an arcade CRT. Controls and stuff feel tighter, too.

Jirotrom

Didn't get the original guy to do the music for some reason. Never mind, somehow the developers of iOS twin-stick Infinity Field managed to afford him and get him to do the music for that.

the music is somuch better in infinity field its not even funny, wondering if there is a way to mod music into this game?

Shaneus

the music is somuch better in infinity field its not even funny, wondering if there is a way to mod music into this game?
I've had a look, the game files they use for it is a single .pak file (I think), something that's completely beyond my comprehension. I suspect it's an in-house format too, because I'm pretty sure it's the same packaging that's used for the other Geometry Wars titles (including the iOS one).

Such a shame.

Well.. on Super Sequence (Level 49) - playing on Xbox one- I got up to 411, plus-million. I can't recall the exact score at the moment.. but in the top 50-ish players, score wise.. That's up from being in the 1,000s about a week ago.. Shooting for number one, but it's gonna be tough! :)

Well.. on Super Sequence (Level 49) - playing on Xbox one- I got up to 411, plus-million. I can't recall the exact score at the moment.. but in the top 50-ish players, score wise.. That's up from being in the 1,000s about a week ago.. Shooting for number one, but it's gonna be tough! :)

What's your gamertag? Always room for more leaderboard competition :)

EDIT: I'm streaming if any other night owls are interested http://twitch.tv/yourexwife

muteki

Remote play controls are such a pain. L2/R2 on back touch only and can't remap those controls to L1/R1 is so fucking annoying. What the hell were they thinking.

Number45

Well, after just firing this up to see what it's like (played and enjoyed the first, didn't play the second) it's now three in the morning. So I'm enjoying it, it seems!

Took me a little while to get going, but I'm improving all the time (I won't trouble the higher end of the leaderboards I'm sure!). PSN is the same as GAF is anyone wants some leaderboard padding.

Is there a general consensus on a good all around setup for drone and super? I've maxed the attack drone and am working on doing the same with the miner, I guess it's a good idea to do the same with the collect drone at least to help with the unlocks?

Up to level 40 and the number of gaffers in my leaderboard has whittled away to two people. I need some padding! I'll be sending out invites this afternoon to some folks who posted their id....if anyone wants to add me, my PSN is echoshifting. Thanks guys!

I'm enjoying this a lot. My first Geometry Wars game.

edit: I'm on PS4, if that matters

Number45

Yeah, I'm the same. One other on mine at the moment! Accepted your request.

I'm at around level 70, just working on progression at the moment.

Top Bottom