• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars vs Super Stardust HD vs Nano Assault Neo

VanWinkle

All 3 consoles have their big twin-stick shooter. They're all great. But what is the best?

Geometry Wars 2 (Xbox 360)
geometry-wars-retro-evolved-2-20080730111431712-2494913.jpg

geometry-wars-retro-evolved-2-20080730111401948-2494902.jpg

Super Stardust HD (PS3)
super-stardust-hd-20110322105531073-3418006.jpg

super-stardust-hd-20070712032241870-2055453.jpg

Nano Assault Neo (Wii U)
2339302-nano_wiiu_4lhe6m.jpg

2325866-nano_assault_neo_05.jpg

Discuss.

Having only played two so far, I'm gonna throw in with Super Stardust (series) so far. It's super fun, no matter which version I play.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Geometry Wars is still the better game, despite the fact that I enjoy all three.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Viral marketing for Nano Assault Neo?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Geometry Wars 2 is the "tournament spec" twin stick shooter. It's pretty much pure science and reflexes with no ultimate cap on skill or performance.

Super Stardust HD is the fun game - big, splashy, because it's great fun to blast asteroids into pieces.

Nano Assault Neo is a bit half baked. Not enough stages, each individual stage is too predictable and maybe simplistic. Its score attack potential is limited before a stage is mastered, though I figure survival mode is where the long term meat is. It's still really good, but not great.

Geowars 2 remains the king of the genre imo.

Skyzard

Banned
I've played the first two (actually, not the second gw) nano assault looks good from the screens and stardust is an excellent game..but I do miss geometry wars, second-to-second action is more fun than with sshd imo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Geometry Wars is the better game, and because of the way it's set up it's more addictive. Geometry Wars 2 is one of the best games all gen.

However from what I've played of Super Stardust it's still tons of fun. What platforms is Nano Assault Neo on though?

Geometry Wars is the better game, and because of the way it's set up it's more addictive. Geometry Wars 2 is one of the best games all gen.

However from what I've played of Super Stardust it's still tons of fun. What platforms is Nano Assault Neo on though?

wii u gamepad.

jaypah

Haven't gotten around to buying NA:N yet, but between GW and SS:HD I'll give the nod to GW. However, SS:HD is the SHIT in 3D!!

antitrop

They're all fucking great, but I love Geometry Wars the most.

Hows Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 1? It's $1 on Steam at the moment.
At that price? Must buy, no questions asked.

Even if you only play it for like 20 minutes it's still worth a buck.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Super Stardust HD is my favorite. Nano Assault has the best graphics, and they're all awesome.

Ya I don't think you're an "agent." :)

But time will tell if this new entry will rise to the heights of the first two.

Super Stardust HD is my favorite too. Ended up feeling disappointed in the PSP version.

EDIT: Other twin-stick shooters I have enjoyed:

I-MAED-A-GAM3-W1TH-Z0MBIES-1N-IT1-Screen-1.jpg

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES!!!1

EverydayShooter.jpg

Everyday Shooter

dgn_dead_nation_screenshot_02.jpg

Dead Nation

zombie_apocalypse_004.jpg

Zombie Apocalypse

nucleus-20070715085724650_640w.jpg

Nucleus (also microscopic themed)

53190.jpg

Blast Factor (also microscopic themed)

6374_MicroBotBlood1_1287429769.jpg

MicroBot (also microscopic themed)

VanWinkle

I also want to throw in the fact that Super Stardust Delta on Vita is AMAZING. Best portable twin-stick shooter ever, especially because it has...well...twin sticks.

Super-Stardust-Delta-Gets-DLC-and-Pricing-Details-New-Screenshots-2.jpg

Super-Stardust-Delta-Gets-DLC-and-Pricing-Details-New-Screenshots-3.jpg

Kacho

Super Stardust HD is my personal favorite. GeoWars is pretty good too.

Nano is just alright. Haven't spent much time with it yet so my opinion could change.

The Boat

I have to say I could never get that much into SSHD. I have it and it's fun, but I just never liked it that much. Geometry Wars though, now that's awesome. Haven't tried Nano Assault yet.

Alchemy

Super Stardust Delta was fucking great, but I enjoyed Nano Assault Neo a little bit more. Both great games.

antitrop

Super Stardust on Vita is one of the best games on the system.

It probably is the best twin-stick shooter on a handheld, like the other guy said.

Apath

Geometry Wars has the best gameplay and game modes. Super Stardust HD has the best structure and feels more unique. Both have their pros and cons.

I've only played the original Nano Stray, and I don't recall it being anything like a twin stick shooter.

SSHD I remember was such a badly needed breath of fresh air for the PS3...when was it realized like early 2007? It was during a massive drought and I remember playing it for probably the next few months. Wonderful game.

Salaadin

SSHD is awesome. Geometry Wars is good but I never really got addicted to it. Didnt have that hook that SSHD had for me. Still a great game though.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I haven't tried Nano Assault Neo yet, but that ought to be rectified in the near future. With that said, I love SSD on the Vita. It's absolutely awesome!

clem84

Gold Member
I've only played nano assault on the 3DS but I think GW smokes them both. GW2 is damn near perfection.

see5harp

SSHD is a great game. Fun to play surely but it isn't in the same class as a score chaser. Geometry Wars 2 is probably one of the best games of the gen.

Top Bottom