• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars vs Super Stardust HD vs Nano Assault Neo

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Geometry Wars, Super Stardust comes in a close second though. Haven't tried Nano Assault but I was never interested in what I saw.

Xav

I think Geometry Wars and Super Stardust HD are the better games but I suck at twin stick shooters so I ended up enjoying Nano Assault Neo more because I was able to finish that one. It's less hardcore if that makes any sense but isn't Nano Assault Neo basically a port of the 3DS version anyway? If so I'd love to see them do a full on Wii U version that builds on it, could be really cool.

SuperBonk

Pacifism in GW2 is one of the best games this gen alone. Almost everyone I've shown it to loves it.

Haven't played the rest but they both look pretty good.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Super Stardust on Vita is one of the best games on the system.

It probably is the best twin-stick shooter on a handheld, like the other guy said.

Everyday Shooter transitioned to PSP pretty well. However even if you play the original on the PS3, you'll find this is because the firing directions in this game were always locked to the 8 cardinal directions. The shots transitions smootly between those directions, but you can only sustain fire in 8 directions.

That made the transition to the PSP buttons-as-directions tolerable. With Super Stardust Portable, I just couldn't do it.

Hey let's hear from the greats, the progenitors:

robotron.jpg

Robotron 2084

0509.jpg

Total Carnage

.GqueB.

Banned
Geometry Wars 2 was one of the best games this gen. So easy to just jump right in and start having fun. I thought SSD was great but it wasn't something I could just play for an hour or so.

dralla

Stardust. Removing the walls and playing on a sphere, adding a boost, the different weapons and rocks, the combo system...it's the best twin stick shooter hands down

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think Geometry Wars and Super Stardust HD are the better games but I suck at twin stick shooters so I ended up enjoying Nano Assault Neo more because I was able to finish that one. It's less hardcore if that makes any sense but isn't Nano Assault Neo basically a port of the 3DS version anyway? If so I'd love to see them do a full on Wii U version that builds on it, could be really cool.

Nano Assault Neo is based on the twin-stick sections of the 3DS game, but I couldn't tell you whether the levels are the same or not.

The 3DS game also contains some behind-the-ship stuff and a few hori sections, and is being re-released on the 3DS eShop sometime soon as Nano Assault EX.

Super Stardust for me. It's the only one where I had that moment when everything clicked. Geometry Wars - I could never play for shit. And though I haven't played the WiiU version, I never had that moment with Nano Assault on the 3DS either. I also find SSHD the most addictive of the three.

VanWinkle

Ya I don't think you're an "agent." :)

But time will tell if this new entry will rise to the heights of the first two.

Super Stardust HD is my favorite too. Ended up feeling disappointed in the PSP version.

EDIT: Other twin-stick shooters I have enjoyed:

Great post. Of the games you listed that I've played (at least half of those), I've really enjoyed them all.

Oh I forgot to say, if you play the PSP version of Everyday Shooter on Vita, you can have some dual-stick goodness.

Everyday Shooter is awesome too. I just felt like Super Stardust was more known as the quintessential PS3 twin-stick shooter, but it's certainly not the only one. Does playing the PSP version on the Vita feel like a native experience? Like it was designed for the twin sticks of the Vita? I haven't played the PSP version but I will gladly get it if it's good.

Stardust. Delta even more so. Best twin stick shooter this gen. Once I put the view center fixed, it was so much better than HD.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The simple reason Super Stardust HD was the best for me: NO FUCKING CORNERS!

And honestly, despite lack of HD, my best Geometry Wars experience was...

header_188_geometry_wars_galaxies.jpg

Geometry Wars Galaxies

...on Wii, using a PS2 to Gamecube adaptor I have so I could play it with a Dualshock 2.

Haunted

Geometry Wars > Nano Assault Neo > Stardust HD

But they're all really good. I encourage people to check out Nano Assault (it's obviously the least known of the three).

Honourable mentions to the overlooked Waves and Transcripted, although the latter is not a pure twinstick shooter.

Super Stardust is amazing and overlooked. I want a sequel.

I think I tried the Geometry Wars demo once, that was fun too, but found the corners limiting (though I'm sure I'd have gotten used to the concept, since the game is tailored with this in mind)

Great bite sized game sessions with titles like these.

Dont think Ive heard of Nano

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Blast Factor. *sunglasses* Deal with it.

Super Stardust

VanWinkle

I think I tried the Geometry Wars demo once, that was fun too, but found the corners limiting (though I'm sure I'd have gotten used to the concept, since the game is tailored with this in mind)

Did you play Super Stardust Delta on Vita? It may as well be a sequel. It's incredible, and just as visually stunning (maybe even moreso on DAT OLED).

Haunted

Dont think Ive heard of Nano
Stardust is not overlooked on GAF. Nano Assault Neo is a WiiU exclusive.

AwShucks

Considering GW Retro Evolved 2 is my favorite and most played game this generation, it should be clear where my vote goes. But Super Stardust is still a quality game. Own both the PS3 and Vita versions.

Edit: Saw a mention of Everyday Shooter which I also love. More so than Stardust actually.

Did you play Super Stardust Delta on Vita? It may as well be a sequel. It's incredible, and just as visually stunning (maybe even moreso on DAT OLED).

Dont own a VITA, but a game like Stardust is why I would.

I'm stuck with a 3DS...maybe....maybe I'll get a VITA for Christmas... the money :(

I'm guessing it's too late to act on that bundle I saw earlier this week on GAF?

zroid

Banned
I don't really love GeoWars. :( It's alright, but it never clicked for me.

SSHD remains one of my favourite PS3 games, and SSD is likely my favourite Vita game.

Definitely buying Nano Assault Neo soon-ish.

angelfly

I've only played GW2 and SSHD and I like both of them. But I'd give the slight edge to GW2 since while the core mode is fun the other modes are a blast as well.

VanWinkle

Dont own a VITA, but a game like Stardust is why I would.

I'm stuck with a 3DS...maybe....maybe I'll get a VITA for Christmas... the money :(

I'm guessing it's too late to act on that bundle I saw earlier this week on GAF?

Yeah, it's over unfortunately. Hopefully Vita will get a price cut here soon, though, so more people can get it. SSDelta is just sooo good.

I don't really love GeoWars. :( It's alright, but it never clicked for me.

SSHD remains one of my favourite PS3 games, and SSD is likely my favourite Vita game.

Definitely buying Nano Assault Neo soon-ish.

This SSDelta love makes me happy since nobody really talks about it unfortunately (myself included).

Lima

SSD was too easy though. They took out the basic rocks and rock crusher weapon. That kinda sucked.

VanWinkle

SSD was too easy though. They took out the basic rocks and rock crusher weapon. That kinda sucked.

I felt like they streamlined it for better, BUT I can definitely understand your point of view. I could see somebody not liking that.

Nano moves at a slower, more deliberate pace for this type of game, and I usually enjoy that more. All three are top quality of course, but it's my pick on a subjective level.

I enjoyed going through Dead Nation more than all three, but I guess it doesn't count. It was quite a surprise title for me.

zroid

Banned
This SSDelta love makes me happy since nobody really talks about it unfortunately (myself included).

Yeah I really love it. I think I might prefer SSHD a tad, the changes weren't my favourite, and I don't like the new specials/touch controls so I always played Pure mode. Still totally a worthwhile experience in its own right though, and different enough that it can stand alongside SSHD without being overshadowed.

Haven't played in quite a while, as I'm always getting swamped with new games. Pretty tempted to do so right now. ^.^

VanWinkle

Nano moves at a slower, more deliberate pace for this type of game, and I usually enjoy that more. All three are top quality of course, but it's my pick on a subjective level.

I enjoyed going through Dead Nation more than all three, but I guess it doesn't count. It was quite a surprise title for me.

Dead Nation was awesome, but I felt these three games a)Were similar in an artistic way and b)More well known on their respective platforms.

jlevel13

Geometry Wars is perfection, so I don't think it can be topped. I enjoyed Super Stardust, but to me it didn't have that really pure feeling. Also some modes were so easy it could get a little boring. haven't played the wiiU one...

VanWinkle

A lot of Geometry Wars 2 love. Such a great game, but I still felt it was the weakest of the 3 in the topic. I haven't played it in a while, though.

I knew Nano Assault Neo wouldn't have as many people saying it's the best, but the game is great, similar to SS and GW, and this will maybe hopefully get a few people aware of the game.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Geometry Wars 2 > SS HD > Nano (assuming Nano is more of the same as the 3DS game)

Top Bottom