• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars vs Super Stardust HD vs Nano Assault Neo

I vote for Waves. The combo/scoring system is beyond any of the other twin stick shooters I've played
Waves is the closest competitor to GW2 for score attack that I've played but it still pales quite a bit.

It does bring a surprising fresh twists to the genre though and has a great Game Boy soundtrack.

Oppo

Seriously? You're taking this angle? You can do better than that.

Many people in this thread have pointed out that SSHD fails as a competitive score attack game due to the length of time it take to become interesting. You need to complete one lap before the game ramps up to any noticeable competitive degree, and that takes forty or fifty minutes. Conversely, Geometry Wars 2 ramps up WITH you. If you play good, the game throws more at you, no need to wait. No session of GW2 lasts for more than mere minutes and that's perfect because it allows you to fine tune yourself better. The rapidly ramping up multiplier that doesn't reset when you die is also a better mechanic for leaderboard play, you're no longer resting your whole score on a single ship's run.

I agree with you on the speed of attaining a high score, but I don't see how that makes GW2 better, just faster.

Honestly it's sort of pains me to compare two such obviously great games, but the way you had phrased it, made it seem like Stardust didn't even belong the same league.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Super Stardust over Geo Wars. SSHD is some of the most fun I've had on this round of consoles.

Haven't played Nano Assault yet.

Satchel

Banned
Never played nano assault.

Love both Geometry Wars and Super Stardust. I probably like Stardust just a touch more though I if HAD to pick.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I vote for Waves. The combo/scoring system is beyond any of the other twin stick shooters I've played

I 2nd that.

Just had a proper go on Waves and the game is actually pretty great. The likes of Bombing run and Chase are quite novel and the standard survival mode has a great sense of progression just like Geo Wars 2.

I could never get into Super Stardust (I own the PS3 and PSP editions), the weapon switching mechanic really doesn't sit well with me really. Geometry Wars 2 is simply fantastic and I love pretty much all of the game, really wish that Bizarre never died because I want more of that series.

Anyway, Waves is really good once you master the bomb chaining + slow-mo. You can get some series point and screen clearance using it and it makes the game pick up fun wise when you do. Edit: And I love the music.

Anyway, should I buy Nano Assault Neo? I have a Wii U so as long as it's good, I'll grab it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
There is no way you have played (or possibly even seen) Geometry Wars 2 if you feel this statement applies to that game.

Actually it's just been a while, and I was possibly confusing it with the first game. You don't have to be all lawyery about it dude. Look up my gamertag from my profile and you'll see I'm probably pretty poor at Geometry Wars and much better at Super Stardust HD. The fucking corners, man.

Like most people here I probably favor the one I'm better at. Sense of accomplishment, and all.

You know, if Activision had any interest in keeping Bizarre around, Geometry Wars Galaxies HD would have brought in some good cash if you ask me.

I reiterate my sadness we will never see a Geometry Wars Galaxies HD. To the guy who asked if it holds up on Wii I would definitely say yes. The gameplay and the twists added by the different levels are great.

But stepping down to SD is tough, like moving from Geometry Wars 2 back to #1.

VanWinkle

I 2nd that.

Just had a proper go on Waves and the game is actually pretty great. The likes of Bombing run and Chase are quite novel and the standard survival mode has a great sense of progression just like Geo Wars 2.

I could never get into Super Stardust (I own the PS3 and PSP editions), the weapon switching mechanic really doesn't sit well with me really. Geometry Wars 2 is simply fantastic and I love pretty much all of the game, really wish that Bizarre never died because I want more of that series.

Anyway, Waves is really good once you master the bomb chaining + slow-mo. You can get some series point and screen clearance using it and it makes the game pick up fun wise when you do.

Anyway, should I buy Nano Assault Neo? I have a Wii U so as long as it's good, I'll grab it.

You may like Super Stardust Delta on Vita. They simplified the weapon system so there's just the ice weapon and the flame weapon (depending on whether what you're firing is red or blue) and the bomb. Some people disliked that they streamlined that but I was happy about it personally.

Waves looks awesome. I'll have to pick that up.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
NAN needs more content to be truly in the same league, but as far as pure shooting goes, I liked it the best. It's more controlled and the score system is pretty difficult to master.

farnham

Banned
i have geometry wars, galaxies, superstardust and nano assault

i think galaxies is the best gameplaywise while nano assault has the best graphics
How well does the geometry wars on Wii represent the intended gameplay?

it has much more volume and you can play with the wiimote pointer (which i prefer)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You may like Super Stardust Delta on Vita. They simplified the weapon system so there's just the ice weapon and the flame weapon (depending on whether what you're firing is red or blue) and the bomb. Some people disliked that they streamlined that but I was happy about it personally.

Waves looks awesome. I'll have to pick that up.

Ah, I never knew that. Yes that may well make me enjoy the game more so I will check it out, thanks for the heads up.

KalBalboa

Banned
It doesn't.

tumblr_mab3ki1Rvv1rpuj1d.gif

Super Stardust is awesome. Delta did a better job at high score attacking, but HD is a big deal for a reason.

I vote Wii Play Tanks

screen_wiiplaytanks.jpg

Hidden in the otherwise throwaway bundle of minigames that were essentially a bonus when you bought an extra Wiimote, Tanks is very different kind of twin-stick shooter than those mentioned in the OP. It's slow, it's strategic, and there are zero power-ups or upgrades. It also gets surprisingly difficult, especially as you come up against those bastard green tanks who can bounce super-fast missiles off two walls (and are pretty damn accurate in doing so). I'm still a little disappointed that Nintendo never made a more fleshed-out version for Wiiware, particularly given the lack of a versus mode.
I vote for this as well. Followed by Nano Assault

I have to say I could never get that much into SSHD. I have it and it's fun, but I just never liked it that much. Geometry Wars though, now that's awesome. Haven't tried Nano Assault yet.

Me too actually. I tried playing it the other day and it didn't feel fun at all. I love Geometry Wars, but SSHD was just kinda meh. I think Geometry Wars does a much better job of making an understandable image appear on screen, whereas SSHD is just loads and gobs of flashy shit. It feels like SSHD has a bigger learning curve simply from a visual standpoint. I don't think it has a great visual design in that respect.

NBtoaster

The best mode of SSHD is Endless, which is unfortunately DLC. I'll always play it when waiting for something to download, because SSHD is one of the few games that doesn't suspend PSN downloads when playing it.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Super Stardust is decent but Geometry Wars 2 is one of my favourite games this generation. I've not played Nano Assault but it doesn't look as good as either of the previously mentioned games.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Damn, pretty tough call. Love GW and SSHD was surprisingly much cooler and more fun than I thought it would be. Both games are gorgeous with lots of sensory overload.

Haven't played Nana Assault, but I definitely want to.

Top Bottom