• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R. R. Martin interviewed by Anderson Cooper on GoT and ASOIAF -- "I was completely confident"

tsukioni

Neo Member
I think he did himself in in a few different ways. George has mentioned before that he doesn't like to really prepare his stories too far in advance because it takes him out of it -- he's disinterested in knowing where the story is going at that point once he's thought it all through fully. I mean he has an idea of what's going on with the events, but it's not fully prepared. Problem is, with the HBO series needing these main beats he had to actually think about it definitively. Doing so really screws with the way he writes his books. The story in a sense is set in his mind, it's boring now. It's harder when you're not having fun. Now with everything thought out and brainstormed during those sessions with the showrunners he's lost major interest in his own story because he's lost the excitement aspect that propelled him before.

That's my take on it anyways. I'm a novice writer/screenwriter -- and I use a few of these methods to really get into the mood to write the stories I have planned. I use an outline but most of the time it's very free-form during each chapter. I have an idea what my characters are about and cool events I want to include but it's not super overly prepared. It could be a few things or a combination of things for him. I'm sure he's either burnt out or waiting on that coveted burst of inspiration to pump them out as well.

Kagey K

Banned
Going on six month book tours when he only writes on his DOS computer at home is probably relevant to his writing output. ;b
It probably helps less that his free time is being taken for stuff like Wild Cards and all his short story and YA spinoffs from GoT.

It seems like his downtime might be small as it is, and unfortunately his best work suffers because of it.

GAMETA

Banned
Considering the old man has finally made real money, can we really blame him? He's 70, he knows it's right around the corner...

I'd say a big "fuck y'all tryhard fans" and proceed to enjoy my last years however I see fit...

Kagey K

Banned
Considering the old man has finally made real money, can we really blame him? He's 70, he knows it's right around the corner...

I'd say a big "fuck y'all tryhard fans" and proceed to enjoy my last years however I see fit...
Except he seems to be working harder now then he ever has, just not on his own stuff anymore, it seems.

GAMETA

Banned
Except he seems to be working harder now then he ever has, just not on his own stuff anymore, it seems.

He probably enjoys writing, just not the Asoiaf books... it's hard to spend 20+ years on something... it gets boring, or maybe it's the pressure that leads to procrastination on that specific work and so on... maybe it's so much work that he can't get started...

Could be a lot of things... my point is, he knows he's 70, maybe he's just trying to do what gives him pleasure, and I wouldn't blame him for doing so... he's earned it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
He probably enjoys writing, just not the Asoiaf books... it's hard to spend 20+ years on something... it gets boring, or maybe it's the pressure that leads to procrastination on that specific work and so on... maybe it's so much work that he can't get started...

Could be a lot of things... my point is, he knows he's 70, maybe he's just trying to do what gives him pleasure, and I wouldn't blame him for doing so... he's earned it.
In the end he is already fucked.

He has the avid book readers and the avid show watchers and he will never please them both.

I think that would be the part I hate the most.

“No Matter what I do I’m Fucked” that’s where his head must be at right now.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned

He has the avid book readers and the avid show watchers and he will never please them both.

Or he doesn't give a fuck whatsoever and thinks "I'm rich, bitch", hehe

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

He's not fucked. His art is being talked about. As he said, the worst thing that can happen to any art is for it to be ignored.

Kagey K

Banned
Or he doesn't give a fuck whatsoever and thinks "I'm rich, bitch", hehe
Right now he could write the lyrics to “Ring of Fire” on 800 pages 800 times and it would hit the bestseller list.

But I don’t think that’s what he wants to write.

Top Bottom