• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R. R. Martin wrote Elden Ring. Remember?

Did you remember George R. R. Martin was behind Elden Ring's story?

• I've totally forgot. The story is nothing special. Same old tricks.

Votes: 105 56.8%
  • Yes, I can see his hand writing all over the game. Story stands out from all other Soulsborne games.

Votes: 21 11.4%
  • THE LORE

Votes: 59 31.9%

• Total voters
So is this the hate elden ring circle jerk? Seems like it.

Guess you guys can't play or don't like good games. It's an amazing game, the lore is great. This isn't about a read a book story. It's lore and world building.

I expect these games to have the same type of elements in a different setting, dark fantasy of some kind. It's the closet thing I will ever see to a good 3d castlevania style game and I love it for it. Thankfully Elden Ring had been amazing so far and much larger and deeper than dark souls before it. A masterpiece that haters will hate who can't cope.

ZoukGalaxy

Want a story ?
Check Kojima games: they are the Dark Souls of story.
200.gif

This was for sure just for marketing purposes, there was perhaps one small discussion at the beginning of the project and that's about it. Looking at the final product, I cannot see his type of writing anywhere and the background lore it is also more in line what I would expect from From Software.

So the whole thing was never intended to make the lore or the story of the game better, but just so that people who usually don't play From Software games try it out.

I am actually even worried about God of War Ragnarok, we know that Cory is not at the helm of it and although they say, he is somehow involved, knowing that Cory is busy making his own new game, it makes me worry.

DerFuggler

About an hour and a half in... Can't seem to find any direction. Where do I go? Why am I going there? Ah, fuggit! It's a videogame!
Seriously a long drop down from previous souls game from my perspective. The world isn't really drawing me in like it did in DS or BB.

I don't think people understand. I put this in the other thread, but as Miyazaki said, Martin wrote all of the history/mythology of the world of Elden Ring. The Golden Order in their prime, the ages, etc. Then FROM took that and weaved the current story and twisted the setting for the present time.

When Martin wrote these characters, and when he provided that origin story, that mythos for the world of Elden Ring, these demigods were much closer to their original form, and maybe closer to human form back then, before the Shattering, before it all started," explains Miyazaki in the interview.

The Shattering is an event in Elden Ring's pre-game history. The game's location, The Lands Between, was once a kingdom blessed by the titular ring, and the Erdtree at its centre. However, a war known as The Shattering saw the ring broken, and the land's inhabitants transformed.

"So it was more up to us to interpret this and say, ‘how did they become such inhuman monsters," continued Miyazaki. "And how did the mad taint of the shattered shards of the Elden Ring and its power affect them?’ So that was our job to take these grand heroes and sort of misshape them and distort them into something they were not.”

“And I think if we get a chance to show Martin and if he gets a chance to see the game and see these characters, I think he might be a bit shocked. When he wrote them, he was really envisioning something a little bit more human, a little bit more traditional human drama and fantasy characters. So I hope he gets a kick out of that.”

This post pretty much spells out George RR Martin's role right here. I don't know why some of you guys are ignoring it. Simply put, the main bosses in this game were created by George. You can see them in the game's intro and promo trailers. George basically created the story and world of Elden Ring of many years ago, and then From Software took that world, and those characters, and shattered them via "the shattering" event long before YOU, the player/tarnished, are awakened. Basically, think Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, where you, as Link, wake up with no memories, and you go about the world learning about the "calamity" that happened a hundred years ago via diaries, npcs, and a few memories that you discover along the way which were presented as cutscenes. In Elden Ring, you'll be digging up George's story through bits and pieces of lore scattered in various places throughout the game. Unlike Zelda though, I don't think they're any past cinematics or character diaries sitting anywhere in the game. We'll be digging the lore up through items, and NPC's, and putting the puzzle together, and seeing what some of these characters and heroes were before they became monsters for us tarnished to take out. But I believe within that puzzle is where George's contribution to the game basically sits.

The line after you kill first major boss in the keep was pretty good. Some games say plenty even if they use few words.
"I shall remember thee, Tarnished. Smouldering with thy meager flame."

Last edited:
So is this the hate elden ring circle jerk? Seems like it.

Guess you guys can't play or don't like good games. It's an amazing game, the lore is great. This isn't about a read a book story. It's lore and world building.

I expect these games to have the same type of elements in a different setting, dark fantasy of some kind. It's the closet thing I will ever see to a good 3d castlevania style game and I love it for it. Thankfully Elden Ring had been amazing so far and much larger and deeper than dark souls before it. A masterpiece that haters will hate who can't cope.

Everyone loves the game, we just think its the typical souls style story telling and agree that GRRM was just used for marketing. Story is basic and almost non existent outside of boss monologues.

GRRM role is probably just as a mere consultant

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I totally like the game right now but I think its marketing. ER is to me no different from souls in terms of world building, dialogue and NPC's. Its not something Miyazaki couldn't conjure up without GRRM. Except its an open world Souls game now.

What I read is GRRM wrote human like characters, and Miyazaki made them monstrosities anyway. So its still Miyazaki in the end.

Cyberpunkd

I wonder how much of the lore he had a hand in, really.

[this game's lore ain't got shit on Bloodborne though]
Miyazaki mentioned he only wrote the mythos, then From Software narrowed down on the details. His input was light at best.

GymWolf

This always felt like george getting a big check for having his name associated with the game.

He did some world building but lore and story are from stuff if i remember well.

95% of players are still gonna watch a vaati recap at the end.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
This always felt like george getting a big check for having his name associated with the game.

This is so weirdly angled. The guy is famous for not being into it for the money, and "not able to write" if he's not creatively invested (there's a reason for why he never finished book 6..). According to interviews he created the lore framework for the ER because he was interested in the project, simple as that. He's good at what he does. GRRM himself described the project as "detailed" and there's not much reason for the conspiracy theories.

Miyazaki: I suppose the start of this collaboration came from the fact that I myself am I huge fan of Mr. Martin’s work.

Me being such a known fan of Mr. Martin caused our executive business director Eiichi Nakajima to reach out to him with the expectation that we would get turned down.

However, we were then given the rare opportunity to talk one-on-one with Mr. Martin which was an incredibly fun and stimulating experience. It was then that I strongly felt that I wanted to work with Mr. Martin.

I am still unable to put into words how grateful I am to Mr. Martin for agreeing to our offer.

The actual collaboration itself begun with Mr. Martin ever so politely confirming what sorts of themes, ideas as well as many game-related aspects I had envisioned for the game.

This allowed us to have many free and creative conversations regarding the game, in which Mr. Martin later used as a base to write the overarching mythos for the game world itself.

This mythos proved to be full of interesting characters and drama along with a plethora of mystical and mysterious elements as well. It was a wonderful source of stimulus for me and the development staff.

Last edited:
I think it's obvious Martin brought in a Tolkienesque/western mythology with references to Western and Northern European mythologies - rings, round tables, etc., with the flavour of a fallen, decadent empire like Moorcock's Elric, maybe some Book of the New Sun. I think Miyazaki also said he was influenced by Runequest, but honestly, that might have been put forward by Martin as well, as Martin is a big pen n paper gamer, and Chaosium fan, and a fan of the Runequest/BRP ruleset and vibe.

Tell me this doesn't give Elden Ring vibes:
TheShadowOfTheTorturer_1982.jpg

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Ah yes. George RR Martin. The man who's supposed to be finishing ASOIAF, but keeps getting pulled into different projects.

Anyone remember in Jan 2016 where he apologised for not meeting a deadline to finish Winds by October 2015, a deadline that he thought was absolutely possible and then said the book was still "months away".

Then, in Feb 2016 he said that he would not be writing any teleplays, screenplays, short stories, introductions or forewords before delivering The Winds of Winter..........here we are 7 fucking years later and 11 years after the release of Dance and still no release in sight.

Truly, the King of procrastination.

Ulysses 31

Indeed, the best parts of the "stories" in From games have happened before the games and you're just mopping up in the aftermath.

Ah yes. George RR Martin. The man who's supposed to be finishing ASOIAF, but keeps getting pulled into different projects.

Anyone remember in Jan 2016 where he apologised for not meeting a deadline to finish Winds by October 2015, a deadline that he thought was absolutely possible and then said the book was still "months away".

Then, in Feb 2016 he said that he would not be writing any teleplays, screenplays, short stories, introductions or forewords before delivering The Winds of Winter..........here we are 7 fucking years later and 11 years after the release of Dance and still no release in sight.

Truly, the King of procrastination.
You sound bitter.

At least he didn't start a kickstarter.

Plenty writers write a lot but don't release for one reason or the other (mostly down to their quality standards). He surely backed himself against the interweaved ball of wool he created himself, so I can totally relate, when that happens to me work becomes a grind, and I don't look forward to grind so it takes longer. It doesn't mean I'm not working through it, it just means it's mentally draining so it takes twice as long.

Doing things outside that monotonous reality, in those cases, might just be what keeps you away from having a burnout.

If he ever does release it, it's something he clearly did for the fans, because of demand. But not for a paycheck, he's past that.
I wonder if he himself remembers.
He does, but why wouldn't he? It seems like he enjoys setting up the boundaries of a new world quite a bit.

-> https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/12/18/long-long-ago/

He probably particularly enjoys being able to move on from it instead of getting stuck with it. The beggining of Game of Thrones was probably the most fun to set up for him, and it shows.

Then it became work, he's like some talented architects, quite good at setting foundations with fast intuition and good ideas, but obviously unhappy having to micromanage in order to seeing them through.

Last edited:

IDKFA

You sound bitter.

At least he didn't start a kickstarter.

Plenty writers write a lot but don't release for one reason or the other (mostly down to their quality standards). He surely backed himself against the interweaved ball of wool he created himself, so I can totally relate, when that happens to me work becomes a grind, and I don't look forward to grind so it takes longer. It doesn't mean I'm not working through it, it just means it's mentally draining so it takes twice as long.

Doing things outside that monotonous reality, in those cases, might just be what keeps you away from having a burnout.

If he ever does it, it's probably for the fans.

I'm not bitter about it, but clearly he was either being generous with his assumption in early 2016 when he said Winds was "months" rather than years. Also, why say you're not going to take on any side projects until Winds is done......then go and take on side projects.

Didn't he even say in 2019 that if Winds wasn't finished for World Con in 2020 then he gave NZ residents permission to lock him up until it's finished? He then spent months in a cabin during Covid and it's still not finished?

Is he secretly writing Dream and Winds at once? He's denied it, but that could be the only understandable reason for Winds being almost finished and months away in 2016, so close in fact that he thought he could hit a deadline of October 2015, to seven years later and no release in sight.

The man can take as long as he wants. There is plenty of other books to read. But the constant delays when we're told it's months away is just bizarre and a constant dick tease.

^ I understand the disappointment.

I have no idea of the inner workings of it, I assume the book has been technically done back to finish for a while, the issue is that he's going back and forth changing things, and then when you change things so late in a huge book you have to go back and change a lot of things in a game of wack a mole. Worst yet, some writers throw entire books away and start over writing when they are not satisfied and don't think it's fixable with drafts.

It's development hell and there's probably some twists and turns he can't make his mind up about. Clearly, but that's just my take.

If he released it in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020... it would probably not live up to expectations, In fact, it might never live up to them.

Last edited:
Someone high in fromsoft is just a got fan an wanted to have a meeting with Martin. He wrote 2 lines, got money, from got hype and thats it

IDKFA

^ I understand the disappointment.

I have no idea of the inner workings of it, I assume the book has been technically done back to finish for a while, the issue is that he's going back and forth changing things, and then when you change things so late in a huge book you have to go back and change a lot of things in a game of wack a mole. Worst yet, some writers throw entire books away and start over writing when they are not satisfied and don't think it's fixable with drafts.

It's development hell and there's probably some twists and turns he can't make his mind up about. Clearly, but that's just my take.

If he released it in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020... it would probably not live up to expectations, In fact, it might never live up to them.

I'm just hoping Winds is of the quality of the first three books. I'm hoping for Storm of Swords level of epic here.

If he's not writing Dreams with Winds, then I also don't think he'll finish the series. Each book is taking longer and longer. My son, who was 3 when Dance dropped could be married with his own kids by the time we see Dream.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I cant really see his work on this.
I can. It seems like the Silmarillion basically. GRRM loves Tolkien. He probably had a short story written up with lore and characters and was able to sell it. Then had zero involvement after that. He could have written this years ago; even before GoT for all we know.

Reyziak

Someone high in fromsoft is just a got fan an wanted to have a meeting with Martin. He wrote 2 lines, got money, from got hype and thats it
That someone is Miyazaki, and his favorite GRRM book is Fevre Dream, a vampire novel set in the Antebellum Mississippi River. In other words, Miyazaki's favorite book that he recommends to new From employees are a vampire novel that is set on a steamboat.

MiguelItUp

I think people aren't aware of how involved he really was. He helped with the world building, and that's about it. I think it was probably about 10%-15% of its development time, if that. It's why so much of it STILL feels very From Software-like.

Landero

Neo Member
Marketing
This. Martin was super hot when they started making this and they probably wanted his name attached. I doubt he contributed much at all. Christ, he cant write a book every ten years, I don't imagine he gave them more than a brainstorming session.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I think he saw that Miyazaki's story has 2 paragraphs and he added "1 paragraph between". It looks deeper than Dark Souls as it is.

Top Bottom