Georgetown students vote in favor of tuition increases to pay for reparations for slaves

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
Georgetown students voted Thursday to create a fund to help descendants of slaves who were sold in the 19th century to pay off the university’s debts.

Two-thirds of undergraduate students voted in favor of the student-government referendum, a measure that is nonbinding but sent a message to university administrators — and beyond.

[Georgetown students vote on reparations for the descendants of slaves]

The vote comes at a time when reparations have been an issue nationally, promoted by some Democratic presidential candidates and others, and when a growing number of universities are exploring the role of slavery at their own institutions.

Student activists said they hope that Georgetown’s board of directors will discuss it at its forthcoming spring meeting.

“As students at an elite institution, we recognize the great privileges we have been given, and wish to at least partially repay our debts to those families whose involuntary sacrifices made these privileges possible,” the sponsors wrote in the referendum. “As individuals with moral imagination, we choose to do more than simply recognize the past — we resolve to change our future.”

The measure proposes a fee, beginning with $27.20 for the fall 2020 semester, that would raise an estimated $400,000. The student fee would increase with inflation and would fund a nonprofit led by a board of students and descendants who would give money to charitable causes directly benefiting descendants of the sale.

A third of students who voted opposed the measure, with some objecting to students paying for the university’s actions, and some disagreeing with the idea of reparations for past wrongs.

Student government leaders welcomed the referendum, saying it represented a meaningful step forward in atoning for the university’s legacy of slavery.

Translating it into action will continue through school officials, and if the measure advances, it would put Georgetown on the right side of history, Georgetown University Student Association President Norman Francis, Jr. and Vice President Aleida Olvera wrote in a statement early Friday when announcing the results.

[Georgetown plans to apologize for its role in slavery]

The university has been digging into some less-well-known aspects its history, including the legacy of slavery at the institution. A 19th century sale of 272 enslaved men, women and children — which helped the school resolve some pressing debts, but which separated families and subjected people to grueling conditions on Southern plantations — has become a symbol of both the horrors of slavery and the choices that universities face in confronting their own legacies. Georgetown’s leaders apologized for the past and took steps to right historical wrongs.

Some students contend they have not done enough. The referendum was an attempt to ensure that some amends directly benefit descendants of that 1838 sale.

[‘Make it right’: Descendants of slaves demand restitution from Georgetown]

Todd Olson, vice president for student affairs at Georgetown, said in a written statement: “The university values the engagement of our students and appreciates that 3,845 students made their voices heard in yesterday’s election. Our students are contributing to an important national conversation and we share their commitment to addressing Georgetown’s history with slavery.

"We understand that the goals of the student referendum are to honor the 272 enslaved individuals sold by the Maryland Jesuits in 1838 and to advance ‘causes and proposals that directly benefit descendants still residing in underprivileged communities.’”

Olson said the referendum “will help guide our continued engagement with students, faculty and staff, members of the Descendant community, and the Society of Jesus.”

Sqorin Hammerfarf

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2018
I’d ask to see the voting paper trail personally. I’m sure there are people who voted for it, but two thirds voted to increase the tuition? I only buy that if two thirds had their parents paying for it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Dang, I am not looking forward to having to guide my kids through selecting a college. Maybe I'll just send them to trade school.

This is not healthy behavior for people who're supposedly transitioning into autonomous adulthood.

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
I wonder if students are paying for their own tuition from their own money
There is a lot of Daddy and Mommy's money at places like Georgetown.

As our society moves towards this idea, I demand a personal exemption because my family was herding goats on some hillside in Avellino until 1920.

Oct 2, 2017
I wouldn't see the harm in Georgetown University paying for these reparations out of their own profits since they are the actual documented party that sold these specific slaves to benefit themselves.

Passing the financial obligation to their students who had nothing to do with this seems like BS.

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Seriously, why is reparations a big deal now? Slavery ended 150 years ago, yet here we are, 2019 and it's getting a push, aren't we supposed to be moving past these things? What's the point of having people pay the price for something that happened over a century ago that doesn't involve the people that are alive today?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Seriously, why is reparations a big deal now? Slavery ended 150 years ago, yet here we are, 2019 and it's getting a push, aren't we supposed to be moving past these things? What's the point of having people pay the price for something that happened over a century ago that doesn't involve the people that are alive today?
Sowing division and free shit son!

Oh, and it is a political tool for select politicians.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
This is stupid, why do the students have to pay for this. None of these students had anything to do with what Georgetown did.

If Georgetown wanted to do something then pay out of their own pocket or give the descendants free tuition or some shit.

This is just the student body being as WOKE as possible. Look we paid reparations let be virtue signal the world and extra 50$ a year that will go to someone who had nothing to do with being enslaved, never pick a nary of cotton in their lives.

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
I’d ask to see the voting paper trail personally. I’m sure there are people who voted for it, but two thirds voted to increase the tuition? I only buy that if two thirds had their parents paying for it.
Why not? It isn't like they are paying their tuitions right now. Either their parents are or they will be the ones crying about student loan debt in a few years.

Petrae

Nov 19, 2006
West Springfield, MA
www.youtube.com
Exactly. If you or your children were kept as slaves prior to 1865, fine. We can talk reparations. If you’re a great-grandchild or later, sorry. No free shit for you. Your can stop leaving your hands out.

Stop holding present people accountable for shit their ancestors may (or may not) have done in the past.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
The biggest problem with reparations is that there is no logically consistent cut-off for them, in terms of time frame. The idea that reparations should be paid based on how African Americans living now have been impacted can obviously be applied further back and applied to other situations, such as indentured servitude.

What if your Roman ancestor had my Germanic ancestor as a slave? Consistently, I would be owed damages, adjusted for inflation, if I could prove that my ancestor was enslaved, as that obviously limited their economic mobility and would potentially have an impact on me. I could be a trillionaire if your ancestor had not enslaved mine 1000 years ago.

Unless that scenario can be addressed in a consistent, objective way (e.g. not "that was too long ago") then the concept of reparations leads to too many absurd conclusions to be logically consistent.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Seriously, why is reparations a big deal now? Slavery ended 150 years ago, yet here we are, 2019 and it's getting a push, aren't we supposed to be moving past these things?
Wokeness and virtue signalling is very trendy now. So if this shit has any chance to pass, now is the time.

juliotendo

Jan 5, 2019
What a bunch of phony self righteous morons, but I expect nothing less out of the current crop of youth in western society.

I’m sure after this event they went back to waiting in line at their campus Starbucks while taking Instagram photos of their lattes using their iPhones.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
How about the DNC pays reparations for the historic role their party played in the birth and rebirth of the KKK, Jim Crow laws, lynchings, etc. and then we'll know they're actually serious about setting the record straight?

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Only an idiot would believe a race traitor coon uncle tom like Sowell./s

Getting that out there before someone else comes in to unironically use that to disparage Sowell.

To the topic, this is stupid. I disagree with reparations for slavery being paid for by the masses. An organization such as Georgetown, which owned its own slaves can pay reparations from its coffers, should not be increase the tuition to do so passing the buck on to its students. The students agreeing tho this proves they are taught nothing about responsibility at the university.

edited: for grammar

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Only an idiot would believe a race traitor coon uncle tom like Sowell./s

Getting that out there before someone else comes in to unironically use that to disparage Sowell.

To the topic, this is stupid. I disagree with reparations for slavery being paid for by the masses. An organization such as Georgetown, which owned its own slaves pay reperations from its coffers, should not be increase the tuition to do so passing the buck on to its students. The students agreeing tho this proves they are taught nothing about responsibility at the university.
Georgetown just played their students by appealing to emotion.

Shy Fingers

Aug 3, 2011
52k in tuition a year, add in housing and living on top of that... yeah no one is going to notice the $30 they spend on this.

More feel good policy that won't amount to much.

Mar 18, 2018
There is a lot of Daddy and Mommy's money at places like Georgetown.

As our society moves towards this idea, I demand a personal exemption because my family was herding goats on some hillside in Avellino until 1920.
I don't like your dog whistle. /s