• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia sheriff, deputies indicted after body searches of 900 high school students

Lemonz

A Georgia grand jury indicted Sheriff Jeff Hobby and two deputies for their part in a Worth County High School high school raid.

For the next four hours, 40 uniformed officers — the entire staff of the Worth County Sheriff’s Office — fanned through the school in Sylvester, ordering students against the walls of classrooms and hallways, demanding the students hand over their cellphones.

All 900 students were searched, part of a drug sweep ordered by Sheriff Jeff Hobby, according to court documents.

He did not have a warrant. He had a “target list” of 12 suspected drug users. Only three of the names were in school that day, April 14.

By noon, when cellphones were handed back and classes resumed, no drugs had been found.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-high-school-students/?utm_term=.79dbebd47e17

Holy shit, what the hell is wrong with that police department.

The class-action lawsuit — filed on behalf of nine unnamed students — laid out detailed allegations of groping during the school search. One student recounted that a deputy “looked down the back and front” of the student’s dress, then “slid her hands” over her pelvic area and “cupped” the student’s “vaginal area and buttocks,” according to the legal complaint.

Another male student recounted a deputy “moving his fingers back and forth” from his pockets to his groin, the lawsuit stated. The deputy’s fingertips touched the student’s “penis and testicles, over clothes, four to five times.”

A third student recounted how a deputy “reached up under” her shirt, “lifted her bra, and touched her bare breasts, including her nipples.”

In June, when the lawsuit was filed, one of the teenagers recounted his ordeal to The Post. The deputy “came up under my privates and then he grabbed my testicles twice,” the student said. “I wanted to turn around and tell him to stop touching me. I wanted it to be over and I just wanted to call my dad because I knew something wasn’t right.”
This is mass sexual assault from the police.

I went to that county a decent amount as a kid, ass end of nowhere, the kind of place where time stands still and someone delusional enough to think this is okay could get power. I’m honestly shocked anything was done but glad we have an indictment.

GhaleonEB

For the next four hours, 40 uniformed officers — the entire staff of the Worth County Sheriff’s Office
All the good cops stayed behind in the department office. Good for them.

Every single one of those 40 should be in jail. This is straight up sexual assault of those kids.

Jackpot

Banned
An entire police department illegally locks down a school so they can have a massive grope-fest.

If they had put that in one of those Charles Bronson exploitation films I'd have thought the writers were going too far.

I went to that county a decent amount as a kid, ass end of nowhere, the kind of place where time stands still and someone delusional enough to think this is okay could get power. I'm honestly shocked anything was done but glad we have an indictment.

Can confirm.

____

I sometimes wonder what these fucking criminals' thought processes are during the planning of these crimes.

DavidDesu

Holy shit, what the hell is wrong with that police department.

This is mass sexual assault from the police.

Beyond fucked up. When they say deputy was that a male cupping a girls bare breasts? Not much better if it's a female but fucking hell if it's a male. Literal mass sexual assaults of kids (and still sexual assault for any that were not legally kids of course).

America has a fucking insane problem with their police. And people think you don't have the potential for your police to overnight become a militarised wing of a fascist government... Half way there.

An entire police department illegally locks down a school so they can have a massive grope-fest.

If they had put that in one of those Charles Bronson exploitation films I'd have thought the writers were going too far.
This made me laugh and then feel sad :(

Also if you guys remember that story about the college police chief who said “rape doesn’t happen here,” this is literally the next county over.

The whole corner of the state is a cornucopia of fuckery.

KarmaCow

What were the teachers and other school staff doing while this happened?

”The sheriff's position is that he's not guilty," Hobby's attorney, Norman Crowe Jr., told the news outlet. The sheriff was at the school for the raid but personally did not touch students, the lawyer maintained. ”He's committed no crime."

The search brought unwanted national attention on the department. As the controversy broke, Hobby gave an off-camera interview to WALB in which he said the searches were legal because school administrators were present.

In a statement released on April 18, Hobby elaborated that in ”the weeks leading up to April 14, the Sheriff's Office received information and complaints from the citizens of Worth County regarding illegal drugs at the high school. The Sheriff contacted the Superintendent of the Worth County School District and the Principal of the high school to inform them of the situation and the Principal and the Sheriff agreed on the day of the pat down."

School officials, however, have countered the idea they were willing participants in om Hobby's plans.

”We did not give permission but they didn't ask for permission," Interim Worth County Superintendent Lawrence Walters told WALB after the raid. ”He just said, the sheriff, that he was going to do it after spring break."

”I don't think anybody in the school system had any idea that it would be of the nature of what actually happened," Tommy Coleman, a lawyer for the school district, told The Washington Post in June. ”I've been doing this a long time, and I've never heard of anybody doing that kind of thing."

This is some real horseshit from all involved.

rjinaz

All the good cops stayed behind in the department office. Good for them.

Every single one of those 40 should be in jail. This is straight up sexual assault of those kids.

heheh

A whole department. This is insane. I hope the sheriff relocates to another state and the deputies all get vacations.

darscot

I can't even imagine something like this happening. Was the school swarmed with news crews, lawyers and raging parents. This would be the lead story nationwide in Canada.

Cat Party

This is so insanely and obviously illegal I am actually amazed they did it. It's not like there was any chance they could get away with it.

JoeBoy101

The Police Department's actions were reprehensible, but WHAT THE FUCK at the school administration approving of this shit?!? No fucking warrant, nothing.

"Sure, pat down ALL our students."

I know I like in a more progressive cell in the South, but I can't imagine a single Principal or Asst. Principal in this sizable country agreeing to this shit.

EDIT: I stand somewhat corrected:

Article said:
”We did not give permission but they didn't ask for permission," Interim Worth County Superintendent Lawrence Walters told WALB after the raid. ”He just said, the sheriff, that he was going to do it after spring break."

”I don't think anybody in the school system had any idea that it would be of the nature of what actually happened," Tommy Coleman, a lawyer for the school district, told The Washington Post in June. ”I've been doing this a long time, and I've never heard of anybody doing that kind of thing."

I know they didn't ask for permission from the administration, but they didn't have a warrant. Rolling over and showing your belly instead of protecting your kids. Gotcha.

just realized i've driven thru that county a few times.

got warned in advance to strictly obey the speed limits as you don't want to get pulled over on 82

Top Bottom