• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia sheriff, deputies indicted after body searches of 900 high school students

Davildinho

Neo Member
Ignoring how messed up this is, how would you sign off using 40 officers to search a school for drugs. Surely a couple of officers and dogs could just walk round the classrooms.

Gotta get 'em while they're young amirite? They fucked up big time even for police.

Edit: I missed the part about the groping. There are no words to express how I feel right now.

The Police Department's actions were reprehensible, but WHAT THE FUCK at the school administration approving of this shit?!? No fucking warrant, nothing.

"Sure, pat down ALL our students."

I know I like in a more progressive cell in the South, but I can't imagine a single Principal or Asst. Principal in this sizable country agreeing to this shit.
We just had that story about the nurse in Colorado who was willing to get arrested to stop the police from taking blood without a warrant so no, this kind of stuff doesn't go down everywhere.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
He had a “target list” of 12 suspected drug users.
This is what really bugs me because this was the cause for the other despicable shit. Drug users? Maybe treat this with a guidance counselor and inform the parents?

And if you suspect someone is selling drugs you get a warrant for a specific individual.

Well you can't fire all of them because then who would you call if you were a victim of a crime? Who could you call if someone say forced you up against a wall and sexually assaulted you?

Also only three cops were indicted and the sheriff clearly committed no crime because he didn't even personally touch any students.

No story here, just more liberal fake news to make all cops look bad.

Seriously I predict that the sheriff may step down but nothing else will happen. And he'll get another job somewhere else.

JoeBoy101

We just had that story about the nurse in Colorado who was willing to get arrested to stop the police from taking blood without a warrant so no, this kind of stuff doesn't go down everywhere.

Yeah, but man, teachers and administration have en loco parentis responsibilities for those kids. Cops show up with no warrant and want to pat down the entire student body (no pun intended), how do you just go, "Well, it feels weird but, ah'right."

Call your supervisor. Call the superintendent. Call the BoE Lawyer. Call the fucking press. Raise royal hell. And maybe they did, but it didn't come across like that, especially with the way the article puts it.

I just imagine my wife (works in education) telling the cop to put cuffs on her, because she wouldn't let it roll.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
For the benefit of this thread, the county is about 60% black.

This isn't entirely correct, The city of Sylvester is 60% black,
but the county is 69% White, 28% Black. There appears to be only 1 high school in the county (1 middle school and 2 Elementary schools), so the schools are county wide (going by the naming system of "Worth County ___")

Not that this changes anything on the charges or what that Sheriff Department did. Frisking sucks, but this was a completely egregious overreach to frisk an entire school with no warrant, and "backtracking" over particular body parts is abhorrent. To do this looking for 12 people, why even consider including the other 888 students in this search??? Also, these are just "Users" and not Dealers???

Consider where the jury is pooled from. It'll be from the county.

These cops frisked 5% of their county on this one day.

JoeBoy101

The whole department should be shutdown right now no questions asked but this is the type of bs Jeff Sessions likes.

A note on that: the last paragraph of the post article says the prosecutors formally sent the charges to the Governor of GA as he has standing to suspend the sheriff. Also the Peace Office and Standards board decertified the entire department.

900 illegal searches. The thought bouncing around in his empty skull that he'd be able to justify that in the press or court is almost as scary as anything else.

besada

Banned
There should be state or federal intervention here, but it seems unlikely.

Also, how do you search 900 high school students and not find any drugs? If you'd searched my senior class of roughly the same size on any given day, you'd easily have found coke and weed at least. Seems like this is not a high school with a major drug problem.

Also, how do you search 900 high school students and not find any drugs? If you'd searched my senior class of roughly the same size on any given day, you'd easily have found coke and weed at least. Seems like this is not a high school with a major drug problem.

I'm assuming their interest was mostly in feeling up kids rather than actually finding anything.

Jarsonot

They were after drugs but didn't bring in a drug-sniffing dog?

K.

and what if they found drugs on the floor, would they have the right to fingerprint everyone in the school?

The groping is enough, but the sheriff should at least lose his job for incompetency. The gropers should be arrested, and the school administration should be ashamed, if not ousted.

Yeah, but man, teachers and administration have en loco parentis responsibilities for those kids. Cops show up with no warrant and want to pat down the entire student body (no pun intended), how do you just go, "Well, it feels weird but, ah'right."

Call your supervisor. Call the superintendent. Call the BoE Lawyer. Call the fucking press. Raise royal hell. And maybe they did, but it didn't come across like that, especially with the way the article puts it.

I just imagine my wife (works in education) telling the cop to put cuffs on her, because she wouldn't let it roll.

Yeah, as a teacher, no cop is getting in my classroom without a warrant or a signed note from my department chair. No exceptions.

RS4-

They wanted to touch some kids, they needed an excuse.

FUCK cops.

Wulfric

Where the hell were the teachers during all of this? If I were a parent of a student, I'd be livid if the person who spends all day with my kids did nothing.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
Yeah, as a teacher, no cop is getting in my classroom without a warrant or a signed note from my department chair. No exceptions.

college/university? I suppose you might have more leeway there, but it's not your property so I'd imagine they would just arrest you no?

regardless, this is an absurd violation of rights

Permanently A

This is so insanely and obviously illegal I am actually amazed they did it. It's not like there was any chance they could get away with it.

PeaN55p.png

It may be the onion but its more truth than satire

Boke1879

Fucking this. Do this at my highschool when I was there you would have found a goldmine.

(I'm going to regret this, right?)

So yes, this was illegal on the part of the sheriff, and at least 9 out of 900 students were groped by some number of these forty cops.

But this wasn't 40 cops groping 900 kids. This wasn't 40 cops groping 9 kids. This was some unknown number of cops (probably a few at most) groping an unknown number of kids(probably more than 9). Some of those cops are complicit even if they didn't grope, for sure. Some other number were told they're serving a warrant and properly frisked students.

(Why on earth did I bother to write this.)

40 cops raped 900 kids. Fuck all cops.

That sounds like Iraq War II. A grand, unilateral campaign of shock and awe, but it didn't turn up the WMD's they were planning to use to justify it after the fact. You know these jackasses thought they were going to be on tv standing behind mountains of confiscated coke and heroin.

The Kree

Banned
Can we talk for a minute about how it takes sexually assaulting 900 children to get cops indicted in America.

Like, that's what it takes just to get an indictment. We still have no guarantee there will be any punishment.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

So yes, this was illegal on the part of the sheriff, and at least 9 out of 900 students were groped by some number of these forty cops.

But this wasn't 40 cops groping 900 kids. This wasn't 40 cops groping 9 kids. This was some unknown number of cops (probably a few at most) groping an unknown number of kids(probably more than 9). Some of those cops are complicit even if they didn't grope, for sure. Some other number were told they're serving a warrant and properly frisked students.

K think about who you choose to defend, when and why that is.

40 adult professionals agreed to go along with this.

Alucrid

Banned

right. because painting it as just 40 cops searching 900 students over a "target list" of "12 suspected drug users" and not even finding anything is so much better

strange how 75% of their targets missed school that day... coincidence?@?!

Reminds me of something that happened at my high school once. Rumors were spreading that there was going to be a gang war at school on Friday. They interviewed a bunch of kids, and then on Wednesday they sent a note to everyone that there was a small possibility of it happening and anyone who didn't feel safe didn't have to go to school. I didn't go but a friend of mine did. They had security/policeman at every entrance to the school to search people. They ended up finding a couple people with guns and a couple people with knives. My friend said there was only like 25% of the people normally there.

Pandy

K think about who you choose to defend, when and why that is.

40 adult professionals agreed to go along with this.

right. because painting it as just 40 cops searching 900 students over a "target list" of "12 suspected drug users" and not even finding anything is so much better
Yup. The voice of reason rarely rises above the cries of the those wielding pitchforks and torches. Safer to stay out of their way entirely.

Top Bottom