• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany:Demand for PS4 is x6 higher than for the second most popular console the WiiU

Who cares?

EU is a much smaller country than US anyway and Germany is just one of the member states.

It's like caring about which console is doing best in Ohio.

Here

iC5mX9vvQyhdr.gif

That is such as classic now. Poor Mattrick.

The only thing we can discuss is...of course anecdotal evidence, but I was surprised even my parents and some relatives knew about Kinect (coupled with the whole NSA spy stuff ).

No wonder, I think it was even on the Tagesschau that MS planned a console with a always-on camera just around the time the whole NSA story unfolded. Also mainstream newspapers took up the story of Kinect and always-on and it was a big discussion for some time.

Xando

No wonder, I think it was even on the Tagesschau that MS planned a console with a always-on camera just around the time the whole NSA story unfolded. Also mainstream newspapers took up the story of Kinect and always-on and it was a big discussion for some time.

Yeah it was everywhere, even politicians talked about kinect + NSA .

Moonstone

Says demand is 6x, not installed base. WiiU sold well at launch then fell off a cliff, so current demand could be 6:1 in favour of PS4 right now

WiiU sold really well in the last year. Thanks to 3D Wörld and Mario Kart.

WiiU Q4 2012 75k (launch)
WiiU Q3 2013 160k
WiiU Q3 2014 (-2 month) 350k

It sold more in the last 10 month than in the timeframe before including the launch.

Kinect and fears of surveillance killed Xbone dead in Germany. I think their attitude to it is pretty unique for historical reasons. It's a huge market as well.

Whatever. German here. Ordered mine yesterday and couldn't be happier.

Will I be able to play Halo, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Forza, Titanfall, Crackdown, Gears, etc. on PS4? No.
I realize that some may not end up being exclusive forever, of course.

Easy choice for me.

Although I might get a PS4 at some point down the line since, well, yeah, Germany is PlayStation Country and as such most of my friends lean towards it. Also there are a few great exclusives on that system, too. For now, I'll have to resort to playing them at a friends house though. And I'm fine with that.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
At this point Microsoft knows it's lost this console generation and the Xbox One will never be profitable. In Europe it's already buried. In NA it's a question if it'll win a single NPD in its lifetime. The gap will be forever growing.

If Microsoft is serious about the console business they need to cut the XBO loose and start the next generation in about 3-or-so years. Beat Sony to the market with a backward compatible console. Start the next generation early without losing the games that's being released for XBO/PS4.

They also need to have a serious look at their gaming division. Let i343 create a new IP. Trust Blacktusk with doing their own thing. In short: don't rely on Halo and Gears of War. Broaden the audience through games. I'll be glad if they keep the Kinect alive and found a reason for its existence. They really can't rely on 3rd party support for the next generation with Sony this far ahead.

sphinx

the piano man
the thing is that the markets and target audiences are pretty clear and divided here in Germany,

Parents buy nintendo for their children, so sooner or later young gamers will feel enticed enough to buy the hardware so even though WiiU is struggling, there is a place for it. Nintendo can fix things with their next hardware.

the market MS is seeking is sealed shut with those gamers going PS4 or PC.

it's done.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Kinect and fears of surveillance killed Xbone dead in Germany. I think their attitude to it is pretty unique for historical reasons. It's a huge market as well.

How does that explain the even larger ratios from other european countries? It's one of the flimsiest excuses i've ever seen.

Mlatador

Banned
WiiU will die a lot earlier in Europe than Xbone though. After next year there will be probably next to no games for it.

Holidays 2014 means that Smash & Mario Kart DLC & Bayonetta 2 will increase the install base by quite a bit!

2015 there will be a lot of great releases and probably will be a great year for Wii U overall (possibly the best so far), especially coming off the Holidays 2014 momentum, because new Wii U owners = demand for games is rising.

So in 2016, when the Wii U is in it's 3rd year on the market (so basically at the half of its console life) every developer including Nintendo will suddenly stop making games for it, eventhough the Wii U's install base should have doubled by then?

This.Makes.No.Sense.

Yes it sounds crazy but according to current reports the second most popular current-gen console in Germany is the WiiU.

Actually no, this sounds completely sane and the way things should be right now based on the libraries (if not Wii U first). It's NA/UK that have got things the wrong way around.

At this point Microsoft knows it's lost this console generation and the Xbox One will never be profitable. In Europe it's already buried. In NA it's a question if it'll win a single NPD in its lifetime. The gap will be forever growing.

If Microsoft is serious about the console business they need to cut the XBO loose and start the next generation in about 3-or-so years. Beat Sony to the market with a backward compatible console. Start the next generation early without losing the games that's being released for XBO/PS4.

They also need to have a serious look at their gaming division. Let i343 create a new IP. Trust Blacktusk with doing their own thing. In short: don't rely on Halo and Gears of War. Broaden the audience through games. I'll be glad if they keep the Kinect alive and found a reason for its existence. They really can't rely on 3rd party support for the next generation with Sony this far ahead.

I wouldn't put it past them, they killed the original Xbox pretty quick, too. But that would really sour a lot of people, especially since it would happen just as PS4 is really gaining momentum.

Phamit

The Xbox reveal was a mess, it was pretty much a presentation of things most people in Germany dont care about.

Maybe they didnt care for Europe, especially Germany, since the final design of the OG Xbox was leaked in German Television.
/jk

Well the Drm issues didn't help either.

murgo

You all have PCs though, right?

Honest question, I have a German friend that says it's basically PC or bust with all his friends (they do have some consoles too though).

Almost everyone, yeah. Basically all my friends from University are PC gamers. I also put 1000+€ into my gaming PC :)

I did.

Common sense and knowing the market I live in. Wii U is still doing ok because Germany still love Nintendo games so i guess we are willing to buy a console just for those.

I did!

As soon as the first news about MS going this road with Xbox One I knew they would be in the shitter, not only in EU but also US. I cant for the life of me understand how MS did not see this happening.

Actually I saw it coming and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

JWhxK.png

Holidays 2014 means that Smash & Mario Kart DLC & Bayonetta 2 will increase the install base by quite a bit!

2015 there will be a lot of great releases and probably will be a great year for Wii U overall (possibly the best so far), especially coming off the Holidays 2014 momentum, because new Wii U owners = demand for games is rising.

So in 2016, when the Wii U is in it's 3rd year on the market (so basically at the half of its console life) every developer including Nintendo will suddenly stop making games for it, eventhough the Wii U's install base should have doubled by then?

This.Makes.No.Sense.

Heh. Bayonetta 2 will be lucky to break one million worldwide (original sold 1.1 million on PS3 and X360). It's no system selling game. After Smash there is only Zelda anymore with some system selling power. Compare that to constant release schedule that Xbone will have from this fall onwards and there is zero chance that WiiU outsells Xbone in Europe. There is just going to be too few games for it. Months and months with next to no releases. When something like CoD skips WiiU you know there is no return from it when it comes to third party support. I am not saying though that Xbone will sell that greatly in Europe either. It's going to be almost like PS2 domination for Sony in Europe.

Top Bottom