• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany:Demand for PS4 is x6 higher than for the second most popular console the WiiU

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think its so sad that the Xone is not selling good worldwide. I mean, I completely understand the backlash against MS politics before E3/13, but after that theyre doing an amazing job with the console, with many big titles to come and an amzing S.O that each month becomes more functional! Theyre giving a super competent support to the platform!

I guess that this is probably because of the exclusives insecurity and the advantage that Sony aquired last year on E3.

It's because there's literally no reason to buy one unless you really, really like the four or five 'true' exclusives on the platform or MKV support is a deal breaker. It is trying to fill exactly the same market niche as PS4 but it simply is not as good a product.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That was a french market as far as I renember.

This was Germany :

EhUlwqF.gif

Just search for PS4 Media Markt on youtube, there are plenty of videos.

That first person was so smooth in their grabbing motion. Probably already at the checkout while that cardboard display is going down.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If this said article was titled" USA: Demand for PS4 is x6 higher than the second most popular console the WiiU"

THEN it would be very bad news for MS.

Germany got pretty peaceful in the recent years, but when it comes to gaming the blood of the germanic tribes starts to boil again.

Oh I don't doubt it.

I love Germans in any case. They're like us English but better in every way:

Better organized, higher punctuality, better industry, better sausages, can handle bigger glasses of beer, higher average height, bigger population, and the real clincher: prefer Playstation over Xbox clearly.... :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Seeing the giant Farming Simulator booth at Gamescom, it's surprising to me that neither console has this game yet. It would sell gangbusters in Germany.

I think Europe will be quite the challenge for Microsoft. It's also going to be very interesting to see what happens between the platformholders when Nintendo launches new hardware.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Newest Germany numbers are :

PS4 - 540.000
Wii U - 350.000
XBO - 170.000

= 1060000 units sold

PS4 = 51%
Wii U = 33%
XB1 = 16%

Heh, interesting with the Wii U, how are the numbers for other bigger Europe markets?

Shiggy

200_s.gif
Germany is home of the PC Master Race....why do we care about console sales there?

Are people still that big on PC? I think the majority switched over to consoles these days. Only some Hardcore crowd is still on PC from my anecdotal evidence. Isn't that also what weekly sales show?

StormKing

At this point Microsoft knows it's lost this console generation and the Xbox One will never be profitable. In Europe it's already buried. In NA it's a question if it'll win a single NPD in its lifetime. The gap will be forever growing.

It beat PS4 in December when both were supply constrained. So that's at least a single npd.

Yudoken

we people in Germany have been reporting this for a while now, some thought was hyperbole but that's how it has always looked. Always

this was my local Saturn in Bremen a couple of weeks after Titanfall launched

IMG-20140422-WA0000_zpsac98a6fa.jpg

it has sold some since but not that much.

Yeah, I went to the mediamarkt in Bremen too and it's ridiculous how many people are interested in the PS4 and the Wii U and Xone don't grap any attention.

Yudoken

Are people still that big on PC? I think the majority switched over to consoles these days. Only some Hardcore crowd is still on PC from my anecdotal evidence. Isn't that also what weekly sales show?

Germany has a lot of pc gamers (many households have a pc) but people like their dedicated Fifa consoles (mainly ps3/ps4).

Oersted

The only thing we can discuss is...of course anecdotal evidence, but I was surprised even my parents and some relatives knew about Kinect (coupled with the whole NSA spy stuff ).

They haven´t played a game since.....Mario Party 2 on the N64.

Yep. What Xbox One truly fucked (pardon) in Germany was the timing. NSA + an american product that tracks all your movement and talks in your household. Killed all the momentum.

Buburibon

I suppose those are cherry-picked videos, and that the vast majority of retailers in Germany have proper line-ups where customers are given numbers in order to keep things civil/safe, right? First come, first served and all that.

I've been to Germany several times on business and have never, ever witnessed anything like that. It's usually quite the contrary actually.

Chariot

Yep. What Xbox One truly fucked (pardon) in Germany was the timing. NSA + an american product that tracks all your movement and talks in your household. Killed all the momentum.
I think that it wouldn't be so bad for the Xbox One if it would be just that. Not everyone really cares so much to not buy a console. What really killed it, was the general view of the PS4 as the cheaper and at the same time superior console, plus the general pitch to Sony, when I look at the numbers. The NSA case didn't help, of course.

There was little that could've gone wrong more for the Xbox One sales in germany. Well, aside from Don Mattrick sacrificing a puppy on live stage, smearing it's blood as Swastika on his forehead yelling: "Hello Nazis!" and then proceeding to sing the french national anthem.

Glad they dodged that.
I suppose those are cherry-picked videos, and that the vast majority of retailers in Germany have proper line-ups where customers are given numbers in order to keep things civil/safe, right? First come, first served and all that.

I've been to Germany several times on business and have never, ever witnessed anything like that. It's usually quite the contrary actually.
Of course it wasn't every where like that, but at a lot of places. Few expected how many fans would come at that time to fight for a PS4

DrKelpo

Banned
i was at a saturn store in cologne 2 weeks ago and microsoft obviously paid some money to get a very large area just for their consoles and there were advertisements everywhere.

but i didnt look like there were a lot of people interested. and thats confirms everything i've seen here so far.

oti

Banned
Yes, we (people living in Germany) have been saying this for months now. Always the same story, no matter whom you asked.

No PS4 available to buy for months.
Retailers were/are desperately trying to sell off Xbox Ones (bundling in a second controller plus games) but people would rather get on a waiting list for the PS4.
Wii U was pretty dead until MK8 launched, I personally know at least 5 people who got the MK8 bundle.

Talking about the infamous "mindshare": PS4 all the way. No question.

impact

Banned
Would be crazy if Nintendo ended up with second for the whole gen. They fucked up a lot with the Wii U, but I'm still rooting for them over MS. Now they fucked up on a catastrophic level.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Looks like my assumption Wii U is selling more than XBox One WW is getting interesting facts to support it. France + Germany = 1.4X UK in terms of HW sales. With Wii U being sold in Japan and more PAL countries, it seems very likely.

RoKKeR

Seeing these stats makes you wonder how much longer MS keeps trying in pretty much everywhere not in the US. What can they do to come back from this?

Looks like my assumption Wii U is selling more than XBox One WW is getting interesting facts to support it. France + Germany = 1.4X UK in terms of HW sales. With Wii U being sold in Japan and more PAL countries, it seems very likely.

haha, France+Germany vs UK once you take out PS4 (i.e. the console that's not being compared) looks very different, also you might want to watch your back on those "other PAL countries" because some of them definitely didn't have Wii U>Xbox One in the first half of 2014

Aces&Eights

That was a french market as far as I renember.

This was Germany :

EhUlwqF.gif

Just search for PS4 Media Markt on youtube, there are plenty of videos.

I just love how that first guy was all "Snag! Time to get the fuck out!"

OT: Are there still shortages one in Europe?

Chariot

Seeing these stats makes you wonder how much longer MS keeps trying in pretty much everywhere not in the US. What can they do to come back from this?
The same Sony did a bit after the PS3 launch wasn't what they expected: keep calm, stay humble and giving their best to regain trust. Its a matter of time and effort, they can't just buy their fans back.

oti

Banned
I just love how that first guy was all "Snag! Time to get the fuck out!"

OT: Are there still shortages one in Europe?

No, not really. You can easily find PS4s in retail and online, there are some neat offers here and there online, 350€, 315€ or even 300€ (which was the best deal so far on eBay wow).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
haha, France+Germany vs UK once you take out PS4 (i.e. the console that's not being compared) looks very different, also you might want to watch your back on those "other PAL countries" because some of them definitely didn't have Wii U>Xbox One in the first half of 2014
Mario Kart increased Wii U's appeal, things got changed from then.

Top Bottom