• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany:Demand for PS4 is x6 higher than for the second most popular console the WiiU

kabel

Yes it sounds crazy but according to current reports the second most popular current-gen console in Germany is the WiiU. Nintendo sold around 350,000 units while SONY managed to sell 540.000 PS4s. Microsoft has only sold 170.000 Xbox Ones.

The german price comparison portal billiger.de says that the demand for the PS4 is six times higher than for the WiiU. They even say that the demand for the Xbox 360 is higher than for the One.

One reason for the WiiU sales is Mario Kart 8, says Bernd Fakesch, head of the German branch. The game sold 150.000 times here in Germany and the software sales for the Wii U have increased overall by about 141% compared to last year.

german sources: golem.de and 4players.de

sörine

Banned
Second place in France and now Germany. I wonder if Wii U could manage second in Europe overall, or is UK too big a hurdle?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sörine;127445744 said:
Second place in France and now Germany. I wonder if Wii U could manage second in Europe overall, or is UK too big a hurdle?

At this point, it depends on the other European mainland countries, I suppose.

murgo

Wow, didn't know the Wii U was this popular here. I know one dude with a Wii U, several guys with PS4s and absolutely no one with a Bone.

sphinx

the piano man
we people in Germany have been reporting this for a while now, some thought was hyperbole but that's how it has always looked. Always

this was my local Saturn in Bremen a couple of weeks after Titanfall launched

IMG-20140422-WA0000_zpsac98a6fa.jpg

it has sold some since but not that much.

A much cheaper console selling more than a 400-500(+)€ console during its first year isn't all that ouch-worthy.

Because the PS3 is outselling the PS4 right?

roperclrty.gif

People not wanting your new shiny toy as much as your now 9 year old toy would be ouch worthy for any business.

sörine;127445744 said:

WiiU will die a lot earlier in Europe than Xbone though. After next year there will be probably next to no games for it.

At this point, it depends on the other European mainland countries, I suppose.

How big a percentage of EU sales occur outside of UK, DE, and FR do we know? There are obviously a bunch more people than just in those countries, but GDP per capita drops quickly in the other populous countries.

KJRS_1993

sörine;127445744 said:

Anecdotal, I don't think it'll make second in the UK.
Their is such little shelf space dedicated to selling them now.

shandy706

Wow, didn't know the Wii U was this popular here. I know one dude with a Wii U, several guys with PS4s and absolutely no one with a Bone.

You all have PCs though, right?

Honest question, I have a German friend that says it's basically PC or bust with all his friends (they do have some consoles too though).

Zalman

Odd considering this is one of the few European countries where the Xbox One has actually launched. Can't imagine how it's going to do in the rest of Europe next month...

Sadist

Well, it's not that crazy. I live near the German border (Nordrhein Westfalen) and I visit Bocholt on a regular basis and yesterday I walked into the Saturn... the Xbox section was stacked with Xbox One's. I think I counted about 40+ units.

PS4 on the other hand... I think there were about nine units left. As for Wii U, I believe I counted around fifteen units. Yeah sure, this is no evidence in the slightest, but my German neighbours seems so uninterested. When I'm in the gaming part of the store I always see folks looking at Sony or Nintendo stuff. (Or, you know, PC)

I wonder how the launch of the system will go in all of the T2 countries. There is zero hype in Holland.

Doffen

sörine;127445744 said:

Well UK might be harder than the other European countries since Microsoft knows it exist.

KJRS_1993

sörine;127446782 said:
You mean Xbox One? I thought it was already second?

My mistake - I mean in a few years from now!
Their are definitely more Xbox One's around than Wii U's.

edit: In terms of the amount of advertising and the amount of shelf space dedicated to selling them.

Percy

Banned
I'm the last person to defend Xbone, but that line about 360 being in greater demand doesn't sound likely.

How reliable is the source here?

flkraven

PS3 outsold Xbox 360 2:1 in Germany, so with the way things have gone for Microsoft over the last year I'd say they consider 3:1 a win.

Planet

All those months where you could hardly buy a PS4 anywhere (up until may or june) the XOne had ample supplies here. I know a store manager that often told us stories about how quickly the few PS4s went while they had XOnes in stock all the time, rarely moving any.

It probably got a little boosted with the diskinnected release, but the One still sells far less in Germany than on global scale. Some other european countries are even worse for MS I heard, like Spain.

It's not near 6 times higher than either.

That's interesting though.

PS4 was supply constrained for many months, no? At least that's what I heard.

And Germany numbers for the XB1 is probably higher than it actually is, because there's probably import numbers from those 170k, which doesn't reflect the actual German install base.

zeromcd73

I'm the last person to defend Xbone, but that line about 360 being in greater demand doesn't sound likely.

I honestly think it's believable since XBO didn't have one (or was it just one?) game in the top 100 charts the past couple of weeks in Germany.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS3 outsold Xbox 360 2:1 in Germany, so with the way things have gone for Microsoft over the last year I'd say they consider 3:1 a win.

Nope. The only acceptable result is 40% of German market.

It's not at all far fetched if you've seen the German charts. When some weeks there's not a single XBone game in the whole top 100 (that's hundred) and a decent handful of 360 titles, it sounds very accurate.

Top Bottom