• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Grants Asylum to 414 Turkish Diplomats, Soldiers, Civil Servants

Occam

Time for some positive news:
Germany has officially granted asylum to the first wave of Turks who fled Erdogan's regime after the attempted coup in 2016. This basically means Germany no longer views Turkey as a state governed by the rule of law. This is an interesting move, because at this time Turkey is still officially conducting talks about joining the EU (which has of course become a virtual impossibility since Erdogan successfully started to transform the previously secular nation into an Islamic dictatorship).

According to the German Ministry of the Interior, 414 Turkish soldiers, diplomats, judges and high state officials had filed an asylum application in the Federal Republic since the coup attempt last July. This number also includes family members. The "Spiegel" had reported to the BAMF about 7700 asylum applications from Turkish citizens.

Sorry, no English source for this; it's from a German public broadcasting channel:
https://translate.google.com/transl.../tuerkische-soldaten-asyl-103.html&edit-text=

This is a relief to hear as a Turk. Hope other counties follow suit.
Edit: Pro-Erdogan newspapers have already begun to smear Germany as hosting terrorists, lol

Occam

This is a relief to hear as a Turk. Hope other counties follow suit.
Edit: Pro-Erdogan newspapers have already begun to smear Germany as hosting terrorists, lol

Can you even get out of Turkey now if the Erdogoons consider you their enemy? I read they are confiscating passports.

Can you even get out of Turkey now if the Erdogoons consider you their enemy? I read they are confiscating passports.

I've heard people talk about the risk of being unable to leave, but I'm set to leave next year (for university) so I didn't look too much into it.

No faster way to get all of Turkey to unite behind Erdogan than for foreign countries to invade and appoint their own chosen puppet.

Exactly. The common liberal Turk mentality is "He might be literally murdering our country's democracy and shaping it into an Islamist hellhole, but he's our problem and if you lay a hand on him you're the enemy of the whole nation."

Fritz

Very good imo. They are considering to establish an expat institute for research and general welcoming of the brain drain from Turkey at one of Berlin's universities as I read in the news. That would be fantastic!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Expect more Turks seeking asylum once the death penalty gets reintroduced, Especially if they've already been fired/suspended for alleged Gulen links.

KDR_11k

Expect more Turks seeking asylum once the death penalty gets reintroduced, Especially if they've already been fired/suspended for alleged Gulen links.

Not just seeking but receiving. The possibility of a death penalty is a big factor for getting those applications approved.

Germany profiting from another country's idiocy, what else is new. The brain drain will be serious.

I just hope they won't have to struggle with the Yes voting traitors / fake Turks that much here.

Shiggy

Turkey denounces German move to accept asylum requests

Turkey on Thursday condemned Germany for granting political asylum to numerous military personnel and their families with alleged links to last year's failed coup, saying the move risked harming relations.

Germany gave positive responses to the asylum petitions of the Turkish nationals holding diplomatic passports, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung daily and public broadcasters WDR and NDR reported. The reports were not officially confirmed by authorities.

Since the unsuccessful coup attempt in July last year, dozens of diplomats, judges, and high-ranking Turkish officials have sought asylum in Germany as Ankara presses ahead with a vast crackdown on alleged supporters of Fethullah Gulen, the US-based preacher who Ankara blames for the coup.

German media reported that 414 military personnel, diplomats, judges and other high-ranking Turkish officials have sought political asylum in Germany. That number also includes family members.

"We regret that Germany is accepting asylum requests of some former military personnel" linked with Gulen, the Turkish foreign ministry said in a statement.

Gulen, who has been in exile in the United States since 1999, has denied the charges.

"The German decision is a step that is not in line with the spirit of alliance and multi-faced relations between our countries," the statement added.

The ministry said allowing the asylum requests would mean "tolerating and embracing a pro-coup mentality," urging Berlin to review its decision.

Relations between two NATO allies Turkey and Germany became strained during the referendum campaign in April to boost President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's powers.

The arrest of Turkish-German journalist Deniz Yucel on terror-related charges has also gravely alarmed Berlin.

After the failed putsch, Turkish authorities fired, suspended from their jobs or detained over 100,000 people for alleged links to coup plotters or to Kurdish militants.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/3...-german-move-to-accept-asylum-requests/#page1

Shiggy

Members of the German parliament wanted to visit German soldiers stationed in Turkey tomorrow. Due to Germany granting asylum to Turkish soldiers, Turkey didn't grant clearance though. Now Germany is finally thinking about moving their soldiers to another destination as this has occurred shady when the German parliament called the Armenian genocide a 'genocide'.

Occam

Time to expell Turkey from Nato. Experts have been calling for this ever since Erdogan started to establish his autocracy several years ago. At this point, I see no alternative.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Time to expell Turkey from Nato. Experts have been calling for this ever since Erdogan started to establish his autocracy several years ago. At this point, I see no alternative.
In a rational-thinking-ruled Atlantic pact Erdogan would've been a goner by last year. With, erm, characters like Trump in the landscape, though, rationalism can be quite elusive.

sphagnum

Banned

Probably too much of a risk of letting Turkey become an official Russian ally.

brian577

Banned
In a rational-thinking-ruled Atlantic pact Erdogan would've been a goner by last year. With, erm, characters like Trump in the landscape, though, rationalism can be quite elusive.

Even then it wouldn't matter. Turkey's large army and strategic location make it too valuable for that to happen.

Mivey

Even then it wouldn't matter. Turkey's large army and strategic location make it too valuable for that to happen.
Depends. If Turkey start becoming less and less reliable militarily, as they have politically, I could see NATO reacting. Not directly "kicking them out", but reduced co-operation for example.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"The German decision is a step that is not in line with the spirit of alliance and multi-faced relations between our countries," the statement added.

lol neither is threatening foreign nationals because they hurt the feelings of your diaper-shitting dictator-in-chief

Top Bottom