• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany: Merkel disgust at New Year gang assaults

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gemüsepizza;191495894 said:
Police usually doesn't release much information about rape cases, to protect the victims. Also, there is nothing in this article you have linked about police "hiding" it. Those insane conspiracy theories from right wing radicals like you are getting tiring.

All it takes to become a "right wing radical" in this forum is to be against uncontrollable and unchecked immigration, rape and sexual abuse?
Yeah well, then call me radical.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellsc...-rhein-vergewaltigt-worden-sein-14001863.html
The article also mentions that three of the suspects live in the Netherlands/Switzerland.
Thanks. Hope they get caught. Since the girls knew them then, it should be easier. Bit strange they are from other countries and came all the way there, hope that doesn't make finding them more difficult.

All it takes to become a "right wing radical" in this forum is to be against uncontrollable and unchecked immigration, rape and sexual abuse?
That's a bit of the problem with this whole discussion every time and everywhere. If you have some problems with the current refugee situation, some are quick to brand you a racist. If you are too favorable towards helping refugees, some will brand you a traitor. It's a messy thing.

No. You are making stuff up about police hiding those crimes. And now you are acting like you are the poor victim who gets attacked because of things I didn't even say. You think I criticised you because "you are against rape"? Are you serious?

Fritz

According to the article the victims knew the perpetrators and they wanted to celebrate New Year's eve together.

Obviously terrible, but a totally different case than the gang assaults on strangers in Cologne

That is not in the article. Do you have another source?

Edit: okay thanks Topo!

It is completely unrelated

Europe and the EU are weak in my opinion. The UK is even worse. I live in Europe and I and immigrated here from South America (legally via work permit). This makes migrants and anyone with colored skin look bad. Use CCTV (or if Germany has an equivalent) and make an example of them. Lawless vagabonds acting like animals in the wild. Lock them up.

Europe has a dark future IMO. I hope Aussie politicians are paying attention to what is going on over there. I dont want that stuff over here.

zonezeus

I wonder whether Martin Schulz will be as critical of ZDF censoring crucial informations about these assaults as he was about alleged censorship in Hungarian and recently Polish public media?

justjohn

Europe has a dark future IMO. I hope Aussie politicians are paying attention to what is going on over there. I dont want that stuff over here.
Yep. Not looking good. I've actually been quite anxious the past few years but recently it seems to have heightened. Seems like we're in for some dark period. theres a lot of anger out there and all it will take is someone to tap into it and boom.

Europe and the EU are weak in my opinion. The UK is even worse. I live in Europe and I and immigrated here from South America (legally via work permit). This makes migrants and anyone with colored skin look bad. Use CCTV (or if Germany has an equivalent) and make an example of them. Lawless vagabonds acting like animals in the wild. Lock them up.

Eh? What do you mean by this?

Ayt

Banned
My German might be rust, but I can't seem to find that info there?

Large part of the problem is people are getting away with these things. If you know you are not going to get caught - and apparently have no trouble hurting others - these criminals will just keep continuing doing stuff like this.

Edit: meanwhile, amount of charges in Cologne up to 121, including 2 rapes. Hamburg charges at over 50. Around 75% of charges are of sexual assault.

How many people have been charged?

Kinyou

I wonder whether Martin Schulz will be as critical of ZDF censoring crucial informations about these assaults as he was about alleged censorship in Hungarian and recently Polish public media?
So far I haven't really seen a anything I'd label as censorship, but you can certainly notice a certain angle on the narrative. Like when the new statistics for the asylum applications came out ZDF only mentioned the numbers from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, completely ignoring that 30% of the total applications also come from eastern Europe.

Metrotab

Banned
I agree with that. If any refugees get caught by police doing any of this, immediately deport them.

I don't think that's possible since shipping them back apparently endangers their lives and violates human rights. So I guess we're stuck with keeping these criminals in our own prisons.

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschl...en-waren-frisch-eingereiste-Asylbewerber.html

Polizisten dementieren Angaben ihrer Führung, wonach die Täter von Köln unbekannt seien. Die meisten Kontrollierten seien Syrer gewesen. Den Tätern sei es vor allem um "sexuelles Amüsement" gegangen.

Police denies claims that nobody knows anything about the offenders. In fact, most of the people they checked came from Syria. Main goal was the "sexual amusement"

Die Personenkontrollen ergaben, berichten Kölner Polizisten weiter: "Nur bei einer kleinen Minderheit handelte es sich um Nordafrikaner, beim Großteil der Kontrollierten um Syrer."

Only a small fraction of people came from Northafrica. Most of them were Syrians.

Currently they are looking for 16 suspects of which they don't have the identity but video evidence. They have the identities of 4 other suspects of which 2 have been arrested, but they don't know yet if they have something to do with sexual assault...

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschl...en-waren-frisch-eingereiste-Asylbewerber.html

Police denies claims that nobody knows anything about the offenders. In fact, most of the people they checked came from Syria. Main goal was the "sexual amusement"

Only a small fraction of people came from Northafrica. Most of them were Syrians.

why would the police head spread lies like that? That is like the opposite of what was initially announced. Man I don't even want o follow this clusterfuck anymore and read up the actual results of any internal and external investigations in whatever amount of weeks.

daniels

Not surprised.
Has an event happen of this scale happened at previous new year celebrations in Germany?

NO never ever, not even once.

Which makes the left look even more foolish while they search for every possible and impossible excuse under the sun to not mention any details in the reports.
I wonder will they use the nazi card again on the people that were right ...again (arab spring, paris, now this) and even warned them from stuff like this? probably.
Also did really no one expect that if you import 20-30 year old males from Patriarchal societies by the hundredths of thousands and don't integrate them that the first victims would be women?
Was this really a surprise too anyone?

El Topo

The information policy of the local police seems - if I may use the term - like a clusterfuck. For comparison (in German):

Statement on 01.01.16:
http://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht/pm/12415/3214905

Statement on 02.01.16:
http://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht/pm/12415/3215530

Statement on 03.01.16
http://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht/pm/12415/3215749

Not surprised.
Has an event happen of this scale happened at previous new year celebrations in Germany?

On this scale? I don't think so. No.

From what I can tell, nobody is really charged yet with the crimes. They have 16 people in sights because of cameras, but haven't identified them all yet.

Taking this from here http://nos.nl/artikel/2079104-zestien-verdachten-in-beeld-in-keulen.html

Title is "16 suspects in sight in Cologne".

If your idea of amusement is sexual assault, theft and even rape, something is seriously wrong in the heads of these people and they can't function inside our society.

I agree about the first part
and about the second part, how about you just blame the perpetrators no matter where they come from?
They come from a culture which is very much dominated by men as well as religion, where women are often considered property instead of individuals, unless they are assimilated into the society which is very difficult when you accept a large number where they will just form and live within their own society, you're going to have a long term problem.

Every country accepting these "refugees" in large numbers should legitimately be concerned because you will not be able to integrate these people, they will grow in numbers in closed communities and your way of life as well as democracy will be at risk, while you live a liberal way of life and marry late and have few if any children at all, your population will become outnumbered eventually and their way of life will become your way of life.

This is not necessarily a terrorism problem, it's a matter of demographics and integration, if you don't promote assimilation in terms of language and western way of life, immigrants will try to continue to live in a way they've known their whole lives, speaking as a second generation immigrant myself.

justjohn

Is this enough to topple Merkel? Kinda funny how early last year she was pretty much the most powerful politician in Europe and somehow she decides to fuck it all up by doing this. What was she thinking?

andycapps

I don't think that's possible since shipping them back apparently endangers their lives and violates human rights. So I guess we're stuck with keeping these criminals in our own prisons.

I guess that is a pretty big problem in that if you deport them you're sending them back to Syria, and then they'll probably leave again to be someone else's problem. Maybe prison and attempting to reform them in prison is a better path. When things get to this point it seems like it's choosing the lesser of two evils.

Well the actual policemen that where there and arrested these guys say a very different thing about the attackers:

Essential statements of the Cologne police tip to the sexual assaults in New Year's Eve are obviously untrue, as involved in the use of the Cologne police "Welt am Sonntag" reported. Officials defend themselves against allegations of Federal Interior Minister Thomas de Maizière (CDU) to the address of the Cologne police. The Chief of Police of the cathedral city, Wolfgang Albers, had said on Tuesday: We did not know to whom the matter raised by the perpetrators, robbed passers and had sexually harassed women.

The Cologne police said the "Welt am Sonntag", they certainly controlled many people and sometimes arrested. Therefore, the police had also been known to which groups of people were involved. "There were represented differently from public, very well by numerous persons personal details added" that had belonged to the mob outside the station.

Around 100 of these persons had been checked; some of them had been supplied to the guard and taken into custody. So far, the Cologne police tip has not been reported that the police arrested the perpetrator or took into custody. The identity checks revealed Cologne police report continues: "Only a small minority Was it North Africans, the majority of Controlled by Syrians."

The video is a indirect interview with a policemen where he describes what was going on and its pretty disgusting.

First the news dont report on the issue for 4 days and now the politicians try to forge a fake narrative what happend.

Is this enough to topple Merkel? Kinda funny how early last year she was pretty much the most powerful politician in Europe and somehow she decides to fuck it all up by doing this. What was she thinking?
I think she really wanted to help people. And to be fair, if they integrate well and would adapt to the German society (or other places) they are coming to, the numbers themselves aren't that much of a problem.

The big issue is that we have seen in the past that these groups of immigrants don't integrate well for various reasons and are over represented in crime. Something a lot of people already saw coming and are worried about.

Add to that apparently understaffed police and that most of the immigrants are young men with no respect for other societies, believes, women or authorities here, and you have a recipe for trouble.

Basically, she was very naive and thought everyone would be thankful for any help Europe would give and be on their best behavior. But sadly, that is just not true.

I guess that is a pretty big problem in that if you deport them you're sending them back to Syria, and then they'll probably leave again to be someone else's problem. Maybe prison and attempting to reform them in prison is a better path. When things get to this point it seems like it's choosing the lesser of two evils.
Considering we still have trouble with second or third generation immigrants when it comes to integration and crime, I doubt reforming them will do much good. There seems to be a lack of respect for authority and police, and the sentences we hand out here don't make much of an impression. If they get caught that is, because for a lot of these crimes nobody is going to prison.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
You and that policeman in the video must be part of the right wing conspiracy that Gemüsepizza keeps going on about.

Yeah, the whole thing probably was a right wing false flag operation.
Right wingers disguised as arabs and africans molested all the women. That's why the police didn't arrest anyone. They were paid off.

lenos16

They will just get further radicalized in the prisons, similar to france. YOu end up with large amounts of these people confined to an enclosed space (there aren't that many prisons in Germany to begin with) and it only takes one or two extremists amongst them to infect the whole group with radical islamist views. The only way is to deport these criminals, but as people already mentioned, this is illegal. Merkel and Co. fucked up when they allowed uncontrolled immigration to happen in the first place and the situation will just get worse this year with more refugees arriving.

ElFly

Kind of surprised we don't have video of the attacks.

Not that it would necessarily clear one ethnic group of the accusations, but it would help.

El Topo

Kind of surprised we don't have video of the attacks.

Not that it would necessarily clear one ethnic group of the accusations, but it would help.

Youtube. I'm not sure if there are videos of the actual attacks, I'm not going to look for that, but you can find videos of the general turmoil.

Right wingers disguised as arabs and africans molested all the women. That's why the police didn't arrest anyone. They were paid off.

Are you not the guy that claimed in this very thread that the police in Weil am Rhein deliberately held back information as part of a conspiracy? Don't get me wrong, just based on the two three posts of yours I have seen I would not classify you as a right-wing radical, but the media conspiracy talk is certainly grating.

The burning questions currently should be about the Cologne police, its actions on NYE and its information policy.

smurfx

get some go again
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191494346&postcount=237

you already have people that believe it might be some right wing conspiracy. i don't know what to say really. i've been waiting for more information to be released before making my judgements and it doesn't look good. seems like the real losers in this are the women who were molested and even worst raped. i doubt the police will be able to arrest many of the men who did it since it will be hard to prove and i'm sure many of the men are probably keeping a low profile. so many times i read these threads about some terrible thing happening and a lot of users are more concerned about it helping the right wing rather than talking about the victims and what should be done to make sure it doesn't keep happening.

Are you not the guy that claimed in this very thread that the police in Weil am Rhein deliberately held back information as part of a conspiracy? .

I wouldn't classify that as a conspiracy .. it's politics. They chose not to publish the troubling information until they had to because it was requested by the media. Partly because it involed minors, and partly because it involved refugees.

Calamari41

41 > 38
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191494346&postcount=237

you already have people that believe it might be some right wing conspiracy. i don't know what to say really. i've been waiting for more information to be released before making my judgements and it doesn't look good. seems like the real losers in this are the women who were molested and even worst raped. i doubt the police will be able to arrest many of the men who did it since it will be hard to prove and i'm sure many of the men are probably keeping a low profile. so many times i read these threads about some terrible thing happening and a lot of users are more concerned about it helping the right wing rather than talking about the victims and what should be done to make sure it doesn't keep happening.

Yeah, it's been pretty off-putting to see a lot of reaction along the lines of "oh god, what will this mean for my favored political party???"

Breakage

NO never ever, not even once.

Which makes the left look even more foolish while they search for every possible and impossible excuse under the sun to not mention any details in the reports.
I wonder will they use the nazi card again on the people that were right ...again (arab spring, paris, now this) and even warned them from stuff like this? probably.
Also did really no one expect that if you import 20-30 year old males from Patriarchal societies by the hundredths of thousands and don't integrate them that the first victims would be women?
Was this really a surprise too anyone?

On this scale? I don't think so. No.

I thought so. It can't be a coincidence that this happened after the recent influx. And people still try to suggest that this may not related when it's quite obvious that it is.
Germans are utter mugs and these men are demonstrating that by assaulting their young women.
I regularly have BBC and Sky news running in the background and this incident has been swept under the carpet.
The censorship surrounding this is fucked up.

Kurtofan

I wouldn't classify that as a conspiracy .. it's politics. They chose not to publish the troubling information until they had to because it was requested by the media. Partly because it involed minors, and partly because it involved refugees.

yes the media is well known to control the police.

I thought so. It can't be a coincidence that this happened after the recent influx. And people still try to suggest that this may not related when it's quite obvious that it is.
Germans are utter mugs and these men are demonstrating that by assaulting their young women.
I regularly have BBC and Sky news running in the background and this incident has been swept under the carpet.
The censorship surrounding this is fucked up.
I don't think this is needed. The people attacked and those with them were overwhelmed. When you are surrounded by a dozen men - and an even larger crowd that doesn't seem to care or actually tries to actively hide the crime - there is little you can do outside of trying to get away with as little harm as possible towards you and those with you. I don't think you would have acted any different and take on a mob of people on your own.

If you mean the police has too little authority and should have acted better, quicker and just put everyone there away, I agree. They should act way quicker and more effective, especially if the area was known for this type of crime already. But that is also a management / political thing, since it seems they are understaffed and don't have the resources to deal with this situation, as seen in the cells that were actually too full and people being let go again.

Breakage

I don't think this is needed. The people attacked and those with them were overwhelmed. When you are surrounded by a dozen men - and an even larger crowd that doesn't seem to care or actually tries to actively hide the crime - there is little you can do outside of trying to get away with as little harm as possible towards you and those with you. I don't think you would have acted any different and take on a mob of people on your own.

If you mean the police has too little authority and should have acted better, quicker and just put everyone there away, I agree. They should act way quicker and more effective, especially if the area was known for this type of crime already. But that is also a management / political thing, since it seems they are understaffed and don't have the resources to deal with this situation, as seen in the cells that were actually too full and people being let go again.

I think you're misinterpreting my post. I meant Germans were mugs to welcome such people into their country in the first place. These kind of men view western women (in particular) as nothing more than fodder for their own desires. Of course when you're outnumbered there is little you can do than attempt to get away with your life.

daniels

Not sure if it is the "fault" of the police... they didn't have nearly enough resources, remember that the police got its "budged" cut (no englisch speaker dont know if its the right word) year after year after year and now the same politicians that did that blame the police lol

I think you're misinterpreting my post. I meant Germans were mugs to welcome such people into their country in the first place. These kind of men view western women (in particular) as nothing more than fodder for their own desires. Of course when you're outnumbered there is little you can do than attempt to get away with your life.
Sorry, I see. I agree that the whole situation when it comes to refugees has been handled pretty terrible and German politicians should have thought better about it.

Not sure if it is the "fault" of the police... they didn't have nearly enough resources, remember that the police got its "budged" cut (no englisch speaker dont know if its the right word) year after year after year and now the same politicians that did that blame the police lol
I know, I don't blame the individual officers involved, but the leadership and politicians that do not give these crimes enough priority and the officers on the street the resources to deal with it.

YourMaster

It wasn't just regular police, also riot police and they were prevented from stopping sexual assault and rape by having fireworks thrown at them. The jails were full so they 'had to' wait for 90 minutes to be able to process more people.
It is the fault of the politicians that the jails were full and that there weren't more police available. However, if you're working for the (military) police and you're witnessing a rape and aren't stopping it because your jail is full that's on you. At least until you all run out of bullets, but trained riot police should be able to beat back larger mobs. And as far as I can tell no rioters where hospitalized/killed by the police.

andycapps

Considering we still have trouble with second or third generation immigrants when it comes to integration and crime, I doubt reforming them will do much good. There seems to be a lack of respect for authority and police, and the sentences we hand out here don't make much of an impression. If they get caught that is, because for a lot of these crimes nobody is going to prison.

They will just get further radicalized in the prisons, similar to france. YOu end up with large amounts of these people confined to an enclosed space (there aren't that many prisons in Germany to begin with) and it only takes one or two extremists amongst them to infect the whole group with radical islamist views. The only way is to deport these criminals, but as people already mentioned, this is illegal. Merkel and Co. fucked up when they allowed uncontrolled immigration to happen in the first place and the situation will just get worse this year with more refugees arriving.

Ugh, doesn't seem like there's a good end-game here. Obviously you have to punish them if they break laws. But for the rest of the immigrants I'm assuming they're doing what they can to get them employment and be productive members of society. What you bring up regarding uncontrolled immigration is probably valid. Countries look bad when they have a long drawn out process or low limits on accepting these refugees, but this is one of the alternatives, I guess.

kitch9

Banned
Gemüsepizza;191496494 said:
No. You are making stuff up about police hiding those crimes. And now you are acting like you are the poor victim who gets attacked because of things I didn't even say. You think I criticised you because "you are against rape"? Are you serious?

Rapes are reported all the time though.... A poor lass was gang raped by migrants in my town in a lit street alley recently.

A what point do we at least acknowledge there's a problem that the majority never asked for or want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom