• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get ready for the announcement of a major studio acquisition (SIE)

GHG

Gold Member
Who was the writer who called them out on this? What publication? Because if he turns out he's right, then that writer and publication will become a non-reference for me in the future.

Push Square have a history of doing this. I think they are upset they don't have any journalists who are capable of getting decent info anymore. Look at this for example:

Did they later apologise?

CrisPy2019

this is the only thing that sony has over MS though. Xbox one X is already much more powerful than PS4 Pro and - according to rumors - Series X will also be much more powerful than PS5, so what else does sony have? Their exclusive games and thats it. Although nothing is ready for launch of the PS5 but in a couple of years there will be a few.

Having exclusives is one thing. Stealing games from their fanbase something else.

Its just shitty if a company prevents 2/3 of the market from playing a sequel because it's now exclusive.
Of course there is overlap but you get the point.

I mean I love that publisher sega bought atlus. I would have hated console manufacturer Sega to buy atlus.

That's just bad for the industry and fans.

Reactions: 888

Gargus

Banned
I hope.......

Konami. They could release all those classic games they have, continue properties that could get new games, and with their new kojima could cut him lose on thst silent hill game he started if he wanted. Or he could direct or produce a proper metal gear game.

Blue point. They could continue their work on older games which sony has a shit load. Would be a good for those konami games if they had both.

From software. They have always pretty much a perfect match for sony systems since the ps1.

Super massive games. I think they worked on the psvr software if I recall and have had a few playstation hits.

Kojima productions. I could see him signing with them. He shopped himself around and went to sony and they obviously had great success.

this is the only thing that sony has over MS though. Xbox one X is already much more powerful than PS4 Pro and - according to rumors - Series X will also be much more powerful than PS5, so what else does sony have? Their exclusive games and thats it. Although nothing is ready for launch of the PS5 but in a couple of years there will be a few.

Xbox one had a lot of power and it didnt help them any, xbox one s was a refined version and still didnt help, xbox one x was more powerful than the pro and it didnt help.

Good graphics and big horsepower doesnt mean shit except to a small portion of games. The vast majority of gamers want good games. Hence why sony leads the pack now because they have good games. It's the reason why I'm ditching xbox next gen because I dont play mine at all. It's going to be ps5, pc and occasionally switch.

Besides if all I care about is graphics I can do better on a pc than I can xbox xx game boxxx x or whatever their new new system is called.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I also cannot understand what he meant to say with this. Perhaps there will be more exclusivity deals this next gen?
Is that it?
Perhaps??
That's basically the only thing that is 100% guaranteed. There will be exclusivity deals going left and right, MS, Sony, timed, DLCs, the usual.

Thabass

bitbydeath

I've been reading the quote for a minute and I still don't understand it.

I believe it’s referring to how Squaresoft switched from Nintendo to Sony with FF7 and it being a huge franchise.

So history repeating something similar, not necessarily a switch but a major franchise going exclusive.

It could just be that GTAVI temporary exclusivity rumour.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Why does everyone cream at the thought of a studio aquiring and taking control of the overarching creative process of a studio? So you feel giddy that your pre-expiration dated shiny new expensive box can play games other people cant. Exclusivity is a dying tactic that we are moving away from and this recent spate of acquisitions creaks of not being able to get out of the past and find better ways to use the more integrated and open platform to financial advantage...seems really desperate. Not only does it lock your games away from being better explored internally outside their existing platform but locks the assets behind technical walls that limit their historical curation..and of course...less people play them. It also creates a stranglehold on the creativity of the studios , limiting them in scope so they plunk out X version of moneymaker.

Open ended is the way to go.....so i guess is the last tight grip since this is the last console generation most likely.

You claim this on, what exactly? Since when did studio aquisition automatically mean wresting creative control? I mean playstation gamers AND xbox gamers got some of the best games out of aquired studios.

Not everyone is EA...

EDMIX

That is a much bigger acquisition than a major studio.

Seems unlikely, but if true....my god that would be a massive, massive purchase. I don't now if we've yet to ever see such a huge purchase like that in gaming out of the big 3 in terms of so much studios, assets etc. That purchase could be in the billions.

For Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls alone I think it would be worth it, all the other IP they own would be a cherry on top.

hunthunt

Banned
Rationally, they could easily get Remedy and BluePoint.

They could definitively go big and get Konami but that's the biggest thing they could get probably, cmon guys, no way in hell they can ger Zenimax or Capcom and Take2 cmon llol

petran79

Banned
LCG Entertainment, to help them pay the debts from Telltale Games and make a Last of Us cinematic adventure game

Last edited:

Klayzer

Likely -
Bluepoint
Remedy

Unlikely -
Konami
Capcom
Bungie

Hell to the naw -
Take Two
EA
CDPJ Red
Nintendo (lol)
Xbox (industry meltdown of biblical proportions) + lol

bitbydeath

Not by smart people.

Remedy, maybe. I don't even know how reliable this leak is at all, honestly.

I know it seems unlikely, I just think it’s fun to speculate. Square Enix was another rumoured studio Sony was said to be looking at.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It would be good for Konami. Then we suddenly would go #LoveKonami instead of #FuckKonami.

EDMIX

But they could fire them all and make something out of their IPs.

Not likely.

Sony isn't buying such a collection of teams, just to remove those teams. They'd be buying them for what they offer.

FranXico FranXico Not all Sony titles look like The Last Of Us 2, lets relax on the exaggerations. They'd be buying those teams and IP for what those teams and IP can create. People talk about the quality of Bethesda titles , yet we have many games release with bugs and glitches from other studios....

How many of those other studios have NPCs and worlds like Bethesda's? We don't even have a close SECOND to that type of world building to really try to pretend as if a few bugs nullifies what they bring to the table in terms of world building and NPC behavior. Imho, it is a worthy trade off as many games have bugs, many games also DON'T have the level of NPCs and world design that you get from a Bethesda title from their main teams.... Have you tried to steal something from a NPC in a house in the Witcher series? They simply stare at you like they are dumb, deaf and blind. This gen if anything taught us that what this team does in terms of programming isn't as simple as many try to claim. If it was, many, many, MANY titles should already have the level of a detail with their NPCs behavior like you see from even a Skyrim 2011 title. It tells me that such a thing is much harder to do then many of us really understand.

Quality isn't simply about graphics folks. Fallout 4 didn't move 20 million units because of its looks...

//DEVIL//

i dont know this guy. and unless there is an insider that support him, this rumor means nothing to me.

however. Remedy usually focus on single player games and that suits Sony protfolio of games. which is why probably MS didnt get them yes as they focus more on multiplayer side of things. so I would go with that. unless this guy was living in a rock the past few months and just woke up forgetting they just bought insomniac lol

ethomaz

Banned
Who was the writer who called them out on this? What publication? Because if he turns out he's right, then that writer and publication will become a non-reference for me in the future.
I posted the pic in 1st page... PushSquare.

12Dannu123

It's most likely Bluepoint. Remedy is a public company.

Sony did apply to purchase Fox for 20 billion so they do have a bit of money to play with.

$20 Billion is not a lot at all, especially with Fox's IPs, it's no wonder Fox declined their offer. That would mean EA, Activision Blizzard would be worth more than Fox. It's very unrealistic.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sony did apply to purchase Fox for 20 billion so they do have a bit of money to play with.
Yeap that is without sell assets... money is not an issue for acquisitions.

I really didn’t know where come that myth about Sony not having money lol

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It's most likely Bluepoint. Remedy is a public company.

$20 Billion is not a lot at all, especially with Fox's IPs, it's no wonder Fox declined their offer. That would mean EA, Activision Blizzard would be worth more than Fox. It's very unrealistic.

It wasn’t enough for Fox but is more than enough for a major acquisition. Most are around 5 billion or less. Minecraft was 3 billion.

Bryank75

Banned
Cause sony has money, but not that much.

Videogame companies are super expensive right now.
If they got the 'ok' from Japan, very few companies would be safe from acquisition... Even TakeTwo, they could buy a few times over right now.

We're not talking about the Sony of ten years ago. They are a hot company for investors right now with a nice cash pile and plenty of capability to use equity or debt to buy almost anything they want.

They are very conservative though, so I would say 3 billion is as high as they would go. Capcom kinda money.

Top Bottom