• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get ready for the announcement of a major studio acquisition (SIE)

Elios83

Don't know about the credibility of this guy but if a new acquisition is being finalized it would make sense to announce it during the Playstation Meeting (if that is happening in February as rumored/expected).

EDMIX

I hate to rain on your guys parade but foxy games uk is bottom of the barrel fro rumors. Ive listened to his stuff for awhile now, hes not credible. I do enjoy his sunday gamers couch podcast but hes worthless when it comes to "insider information."

Likely, but I think what they are saying is moot.

We know Sony is seeking to buy studios, they've said so themselves. To say something like "soon" is also moot, that could mean this month, this quarter, this year LOL! With PS5 coming fall 2020 and likely a reveal in the next 3 months or so, of course Sony is going to buy up some teams. So I file this under, true by default of what Sony has already stated aka moot.

mortal

Gold Member
They have no own IPs, so this doesn’t make sense.
Why would that need to be a factor for purchasing a studio ike Bluepoint?

They've had success in remastering many titles, not to mention their strong relationship with Sony.
Even up til now, with them working on a PS5 title. Makes perfect sense.

EDMIX

Not after MHW. Capcom's in way better shape now.

I don't know about all that, a few titles doing better isn't really going to change what is happening at Capcom.

Their big titles like Resident Evil, MH, DMC are doing as well as they actually always do, not enough to really believe they are 100% in the clear.

Last gen they got in a lot of trouble with just over spending that even put them in a situation to be open to being bought out, this gen they have less releases and focus on CORE IP, Resident Evil, MH, DMC, SF etc Before that, they focused on both established and new IP, Okami, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, DMC, Onimusha etc, after last gen with many mess ups and key developers leaving from SF series, RE series, DMC series, you saw that even less and less as I think its the right call for them to be more conservative on new IP, doesn't mean they are 100% in the clear.

I would not be shocked even remotely if Capcom was open to a buy out from Sony.

I wonder if it’s related to this comment from @OsirisBlack.

It is MS that are making the purchase

gioGAF

Not interested in Remedy Games, hopefully that isn't the acquisition.

Konami would be amazing, so many good games in their past that are languishing in Pachinko land :-(

From Software would also be great, huge fan of the Souls series. I know many don't want single platform versions, but as far as I'm concerned, the single platform games have been the best entries. It is a sacrifice I'm willing to make :-D

Probably Bluepoint/Supergiant/Quantic Dream

It's not going to be a "big" studio, if it's even legit.

Or maybe just proposition Zenimax for Bethesda so Todd Howard can clean the toilets as Janitor in Chief.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think Sony should buy Blur Studio, to take those cutscene simulators to next level...

It's almost 4am in here, caan someone hook up me with Zolpidem pls?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Would it be too crazy if they purchase Tri-Ace or Level 5? I really want Sony has it own exclusive studio making JRPG, same way Nintendo has.

I just dont want to see another western studio, Sony already have plenty of them.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I can't believe so many people are saying things like Konami, SquareEnix or Capcom.

Sony is not buying any of those companies.
Capcom would be great, it's 2.9B market cap. Very good value. Sony bought companies around the same money several times in the last few years.

Could still keep some games multiplat.

Danjin44

You'll get another 3rd person western cinematic studio and you'll like it.
giphy.gif

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Would it be too crazy if they purchase Tri-Ace or Level 5? I really want Sony has it own exclusive studio making JRPG, same way Nintendo has.

I just dont want to see another western studio, Sony already have plenty of them.
I would love a good Multiplayer FPS studio, but who am I kidding? More third person action games OTW people.

GermanZepp

Capcom and Fromsoftware are too hot right now i don't see that happening. Hmm but so was insomniac.

Bluepoint seems like a safe bet.

Remedy and Kojima hope not.

Quantic dream began to put games on pc.

autoduelist

From or Level 5 with a launch title?

Danjin44

From or Level 5 with a launch title?
I cant see FROM being exclusive developers to the big 3 but I can definitely see Level 5 but then again their Yo-kai Watch is very popular and they usually come out on Nintendo systems and that only leaves Tri-Ace .

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Don't believe the rumor whatsoever but what the hell, I'll play -

1. Bluepoint Games
2. Housemarque
3. Ready at Dawn
4. Kojima Productions
5. Remedy

I hope its Kojima Prod as i feel they can't make anything great besides MGS and even MGS5 was considered a let down in many ways. They peaked with MGS3.
I hope this happens to prompt MS to go nuts on even more studios.

PS,why do people so blindly believe litterally anything some so called "insider" claims with zero skeptism?

Ryu Kaiba

Blue Point isnt major or some bombshell. They’ve done fine work no doubt, but they aren’t big.

Don’t know how to express this in tflops
there aren't many realistic options outside of them that are worth a damn
KojiPro thats about it

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

there aren't many realistic options outside of them that are worth a damn
there's From Software and Kojipro. Thats about it.

....Remedy is shit. If Sony acquires them I hope they do take their "creative" freedom and give it to someone with appeal.
FROMSOFTWARE is not independent, they are owned by Kadokawa publishing.
Kojipro is like Quantic Dream, fund its crazyness, but never own it! It will explode sooner or later, and you will want to step away when it happens.

Ryu Kaiba

FROMSOFTWARE is not independent, they are owned by Kadokawa publishing.
Kojipro is like Quantic Dream, fund its crazyness, but never own it! It will explode sooner or later, and you will want to step away when it happens.
Possibly.
But its Definitely not
Square-Enix
Rockstar
Capcom

Those are way too big.

lyan

Capcom is a public company, we would see some announcement and offer document which I assume would be a requirement from TYO, so no.

Top Bottom