• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get ready for the announcement of a major studio acquisition (SIE)

Ar¢tos

I think it's Bungie.

A less crazy scenario is IO Interactive.

But i still think it's Bungie.
Nobody wants sloppy thirds that have been used and tossed away by 2 publishers already.
If Activision of all publishers doesn't want to deal with them, I seriously doubt Sony would.
And Bungie is selling out to Chinese companies, bit by bit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sega don't have a good IP for this operation. Yeah, they make great games such as Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, etc. But those games are not selling too good for a Sony acquisition.
I said this before but one thing I liked about Sony was they supported games that don’t usually sell because they wanted to diverse their library. If in next gen Sony only supports games that do big numbers then we are going have very, very boring next gen.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Probably a Japanese studio, Microsoft’s been trying to get one so it’ll be interesting to see if they beat them to the punch.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Huh? What? A lot of Sony exclusive games are very similar, like uncharted, the last of us, horizon, god of war etc.
I was mostly talking about PS3 era when we used to get unique games like Tokyo Jungle, Soul Sacrifice and Folklore, thats why I said “that don’t usually sell”.

And even some PS4 games like Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Huh? What? A lot of Sony exclusive games are very similar, like uncharted, the last of us, horizon, god of war etc.
Ha, they are totally different. What is similar? The aspect? Just because they are 3rd person....

Uncharted is a pulp adventure like Indiana Jones / guns with loads of ammo and set-pieces.

The Last of Us is a gritty post-apocalyptic world / limited weapons and survival/stealth mechanics

Horizon is an open-world adventure against robot enemies / fantasy world with a crazy mix of old and scifi technology

God of War is an action game with linear / metroidvania style world, hack and slash combat and magic.... about gods.

It's like saying RDR2 is exactly like every Sony exclusive.

vkbest

LOL 😂 are you seriously comparing FINAL FANTASY VII to Alan wake? 😂👍

Yes. FF and Square's games exclusive to Nintendo until FF VII. Alan Wake exclusive to Microsoft until this rumor would be the correct comparison. The guy is talking about acquisition and using a not exclusive game for comparison. Remedy and Bungie are the ones developers who was making games to Microsoft exclusively

vkbest

I said this before but one thing I liked about Sony was they supported games that don’t usually sell because they wanted to diverse their library. If in next gen Sony only supports games that do big numbers then we are going have very, very boring next gen.

They can support their own games to diversity, but would be stupid to buy Sega (huge operation) for supporting those games.

Aion002

Kojipro is like Quantic Dream, fund its crazyness, but never own it! It will explode sooner or later, and you will want to step away when it happens.

WTF!!?

Did you just compared the guy that created METAL GEAR to a QTE fest tiny studio?

Dude... Dude... Just this MOTHER FUCKING GENERATION, Kojima created an engine for Konami that she uses for everything, made MGSV that has an 93 metacritic score and sold 3 million of units in a couple of days!

Then he created a freaking demo that made everybody crazy about it...

Now he just released the 2019 GOTY.

Like it or not, Kojima can only explode from Success.

Yeah I am triggered.:messenger_face_steam:

Thabass

Kojipro is like Quantic Dream, fund its crazyness, but never own it! It will explode sooner or later, and you will want to step away when it happens.

This comparison is leaps and bounds silly. KojiPro is a hell of a lot better than Quantic Dream and I love both. Come on, bro. Use your head.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

WTF!!?

Did you just compared the guy that created METAL GEAR to a QTE fest tiny studio?

Dude... Dude... Just this MOTHER FUCKING GENERATION, Kojima created an engine for Konami that she uses for everything, made MGSV that has an 93 metacritic score and sold 3 million of units in a couple of days!

This comparison is leaps and bounds silly. KojiPro is a hell of a lot better than Quantic Dream and I love both. Come on, bro. Use your head.
*sigh*
The comparison wasn't about games/studios at all, but about creativity.
The more creative a person is, the more unstable and unpredictable they can be, and there is a chance that might turn against them.

Thabass

*sigh*
The more creative a person is, the more unstable and unpredictable they can be, and there is a chance that might turn against them.

Ah, I see. My bad then. Carry on.

TLZ

Banned
If true I hope it's a Japanese studio. They have enough talented western devs already

They bought Konami and will be doing a massive internal restructuring. The reason they haven't truly shown the Ps5 yet is because it's a pachinko machine
I'd love it if they bought Konami and use all their awesome IPs. Also make PES great again.

Aion002

*sigh*

Life is made of risks.... If Sony or Nintendo don't take chances... They end up being like MS this gen... Recycling Halo, Forza and Gears.

So yeah, let Sony take chances... Also, it kinda doesn't makes sense... Kojima never failed to deliver so far.

WTF!!?

So much stupid here, i don't know where to begin.

DonF

That was over a year ago so I imagine it’s grown since. No idea though.
If they got the 'ok' from Japan, very few companies would be safe from acquisition... Even TakeTwo, they could buy a few times over right now.

We're not talking about the Sony of ten years ago. They are a hot company for investors right now with a nice cash pile and plenty of capability to use equity or debt to buy almost anything they want.

They are very conservative though, so I would say 3 billion is as high as they would go. Capcom kinda money.
god damn, I wasnt aware that Sony had that amount of cash! News to me!

Now things make more sense. I mean, buy a very expensive company, it will eventually make you more cash.

Aidah

If they're buying something, good for them. Early congrats to my dude Jim 'The Suit' Ryan. We all good just as long as it isn't someone I like and is already doing well as a 3rd party.

Klayzer

Ha, they are totally different. What is similar? The aspect? Just because they are 3rd person....

Uncharted is a pulp adventure like Indiana Jones / guns with loads of ammo and set-pieces.

The Last of Us is a gritty post-apocalyptic world / limited weapons and survival/stealth mechanics

Horizon is an open-world adventure against robot enemies / fantasy world with a crazy mix of old and scifi technology

God of War is an action game with linear / metroidvania style world, hack and slash combat and magic.... about gods.

It's like saying RDR2 is exactly like every Sony exclusive.
They keep repeating the same tired lines hoping it will stick.

The are false information's there? I am sorry for making a stupid post... But unless there are lies in my post....eh... Everybody is a little stupid depending on the point of view...
DS has an 82 metacritic score. There are SEVERAL (Sekiro,RE2,The Outer Worlds,Disco Elysium,Gears 5,Control,DMC 5,Outer Wilds,Astral Chain, Fire Emblem TH,etc,,)games that reviewed critically better or as well. You can not say "DS is the 2019 goty" as if everyone voted for it or is unanimous. Nobody is surprised that a japanese game wins goty by japanese media or that other game devs/actors give him high praise(based on his history more than anything else and celebrity) or a bunch or sony/kojima fangirls litterally sabotage voting on some site. No different than metacritic user fanboys giving great/poor (review bombing)reviews based on whether its an exclusive or if the devs are well liked.

What respectable gaming sites gave DS goty?
Gamespot-Sekiro
Ign-Control
The Game Awards-Sekiro (even Geoff Keighley doesnt think DS is Goty)

Ryu Kaiba

DS has an 82 metacritic score. There are SEVERAL (Sekiro,RE2,The Outer Worlds,Disco Elysium,Gears 5,Control,DMC 5,Outer Wilds,Astral Chain, Fire Emblem TH,etc,,)games that reviewed critically better or as well. You can not say "DS is the 2019 goty" as if everyone voted for it or is unanimous. Nobody is surprised that a japanese game wins goty by japanese media or that other game devs/actors give him high praise(based on his history more than anything else and celebrity) or a bunch or sony/kojima fangirls litterally sabotage voting on some site. No different than metacritic user fanboys giving great/poor (review bombing)reviews based on whether its an exclusive or if the devs are well liked.

Gamespot-Sekiro
Ign-Control

"respectable : IGN"
LUL
Geoff Keighly doesn't vote in the game awards for fucks sake.

Like or Dislike Death Stranding, Kojima is still a high valued producer and will command attention whenever he announces another game.

Aion002

Gamespot-Sekiro
Ign-Control

Death Stranding - 68

The Critics' Picks - 45

The Readers' Picks - 23

Resident Evil 2 - 56

The Critics' Picks - 43

The Readers' Picks - 13

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 47

The Critics' Picks - 41

The Readers' Picks - 6

But that's subjective.... Sure.... if you believe that IGN has more value than whatever other website, you are right to do so.

Still.... if you wanna discredit a weird new IP, that a shit ton of people hated for "reasons" and still got an 82 metacritic score, got a lot of the goty awards.... well you can also do that. But I also can say: that's just your opinion man and I won't call it stupid....

Also, an 82 score for a new IP.... well that's not bad at all.... Detroit wished to get an 80.....

Last edited:
Who are these critics? List them. Readers critiques? Who is that? DS has 107 reviews on metacritic and only has a 82 metacritic score

Aion002

Who are these critics? List them. Readers critiques? Who is that? DS has 107 reviews on metacritic and only has a 82 metacritic score

You can click on the link I posted. But I get it... You believe that Death Stranding isn't GOTY material... that's fine life goes on.... Have a nice day!

Dabaus

Banned
I dont think it will happen but id say go all in and buy capcom. Estimated value ive seen thrown around is 2.9 billion, hell even at 4 billion thats a steal.

Skyfox

How many years from now? no way PSVR2 is releasing at same time of PS5. How limited of users will be a supposed PS5+PSVR2?
PSVR2 is currently set to be a very minor upgrade (prediction). However, with news of the biggest VR game ever Sony could make more cash on their VR investment. So they may be willing to delay and upgrade PSVR2 if they can work out a deal with Valve.

Sadly, Valve will not do well with Alyx due to the limited audience but they will hold it as a PC exclusive for a year (prediction) and then release on PSVR2 on PS5.

marcincz

Konami gaming division, with their IPs, could be a very smart and probably not too expensive move.
Silent Hill, Castlevania, ProEvo and many older titles.
So next project of Kojima will be SH/Castlevania? He created PT and Castlevania LoS (consulting probably).

Last edited:

vkbest

PSVR2 is currently set to be a very minor upgrade (prediction). However, with news of the biggest VR game ever Sony could make more cash on their VR investment. So they may be willing to delay and upgrade PSVR2 if they can work out a deal with Valve.

Sadly, Valve will not do well with Alyx due to the limited audience but they will hold it as a PC exclusive for a year (prediction) and then release on PSVR2 on PS5.

PSVR2 is no way releasing until later 2021 or even 2022. So you think Valve will port this game to platform with 0 devices sold?

People forgets that PSVR has needed 3 years to sell 5 million, and released when there was 50 million PS4 on the market.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Nobody wants sloppy thirds that have been used and tossed away by 2 publishers already.
If Activision of all publishers doesn't want to deal with them, I seriously doubt Sony would.
And Bungie is selling out to Chinese companies, bit by bit.
They are not to my personal liking either but you would be very naive if you can't see the benefit for Sony if they were able to acquire such a studio let alone the Destiny IP. Especially since Sony had said a couple of times recently that for then next gen they want to focus even more in multiplayer games and games as a service.

As for the poor souls mentioning Japanese companies what makes you guys think that Sony give's a rat's ass about Japanese companies?It has been very obvious this gen that their eyes are set firmly in the West.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if next gen they close down SCEJ.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I dont think it will happen but id say go all in and buy capcom. Estimated value ive seen thrown around is 2.9 billion, hell even at 4 billion thats a steal.
That's what I'm saying, think of their IP's and all the talent there....

As you say 'a steal'.

Buy them Sony!!!!!

Top Bottom