• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

Corpekata

Banned
Weren't there always a lot of people in other threads saying it wasn't the SATA speed that was the issue but something else? Has that underlying issue also been fixed / improved?

Dio

Banned
Silly question (and slightly off-topic, my bad) but can I just hook those to any SATA port in a motherboard that supports SATA 3? Doesn't need to be a specific motherboard with specific features, right?

They're too fast to see any benefit through SATA.

They use PCIe M.2 slots instead, which are directly on the motherboard as you can see there, so unless you want them to run just as slow as other SSDs do, don't plug them into a SATA Port. SATA III is too slow.

Tinúviel;220048444 said:
I have Seagate 1TB SSHD (ST1000LM014) in my PS4 right now i assume it will benefit more with PS4 Pro.

But how the hell i'm gonna put current HDD in to a Pro without removing data?Any solution for that?

Backup and restore using an external drive.

RocknRola

They're too fast to see any benefit through SATA.

They use PCIe M.2 slots instead, which are directly on the motherboard as you can see there, so unless you want them to run just as slow as other SSDs do, don't plug them into a SATA Port. SATA III is too slow.

Ah, thanks. Saved me from doing a silly investment in the near future hehe :p Need a new motherboard then, just have one PCIe slot open and not sure things can fit there confortably, despite those SSD's being super slender. Damn you, fat GPU's!

Edit: Actually scratch that. Need a new motherboard, period. Just realized that the M.2 slots are their own thing and my current mobo definitely has none of that.

JP

Holy fuck, that would be massive for me. How reliable is the site this comes from?

EDIT:
I have a 2TB hdd in our current PS4 but I'd have no issues at all losing capacity to gain performance. I can see Black Friday being useful for SSDs this year.

Logsi

Weren't there always a lot of people in other threads saying it wasn't the SATA speed that was the issue but something else? Has that underlying issue also been fixed / improved?

I know Trim not being enabled would cause problems.

Finally, some good news about the PS4 Pro!

SATA3 was one of my most wanted features for the PS4 Pro.

Now if only more developers would get on board with supporting it beyond just upscaling to 4K. I'd love to see more AA and texture filtering applied to 1080p games.

Number45

So I assume we can wait for Digital Foundry to do some comparisons again. No chance that will happen before launch I guess?

Deepo

This is the best news. My Samsung 840 EVO 1TB will really enjoy getting a new home in the Pro. Loading times are currently the least next-gen thing about both PS4 and Xbone.

knitoe

People were claiming that the problem was speeds went through the USB2 interface even though the actual connection was a SATA2. Don't know if that's the problem or it's been fixed in the Pro.
All current SSD has their own built in trash collecting routine outside of the OS own. Not an issue.

I really don't know enough about how the PS4 operating system works to know if TRIM is really needed. I suppose it's complicated by the file system encryption.

It would be great if a site like Digital Foundry could do some digging around this, and look at what the implications are for SSDs.

Jezbollah

The PS4 doesn't use SATA 3? Didn't SATA 3 come out in like 2009? Not exactly new tech.

Its not so much the interface, its about unit cost as per usual.

I think Sony now realise that larger capacity SSDs are now pretty affordable and people want to be able to use them in their PS4s.

The real question though would be if the PS4 Slim is SATA3.

Mengetsu

I'm not good with this stuff. So when I buy my new PS4 Pro this can take a HDD that shortens load times? The 1TB that comes with the console won't be this kind of HDD defaultly? If not can I get another 1TB HDD with those same specs for 50-75 dollars?

The PS4 doesn't use SATA 3? Didn't SATA 3 come out in like 2009? Not exactly new tech.

SATA II is 300mb/s

A typical HDD is around 80-150mb/s

Not much need for SATA III. Also if PS4 was truly SATA II you should see a huge benefit by saturating Sata II 300mb/s limit with a SSD but that doesn't seem to happen either so it's not as if simply adding sata III is going to magically not hold loading back like the myths portray. I even see people claim not being Sata III is holding stock PS4 back with its slow HDD.

Hopefully Sony fully support SATA III and get that 600mb/s

Raybunny

Man I still need to upgrade my 60GB SSD from my computer! LOL.

Oh boy.... 480/512 gb ssds are quite cheap ( 100-130 euros) even MLC ones. Upgrading your 60gb if needed wont be that expensive. I still remember paying 350 euros for the Corsair Force GT 120gb. The feels

Arttemis

Don't go SSHD. You get at best mixed results vs a regular HDD.
I thought SSHDs were the best thing short of SSDs, but at the same time, I vaguely recall hearing reports of SSHDs trailing in PS4 loading comparisons.

Does anyone have any info on this?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah just seen the price, no thank you
Does normal 2.5 HDD benefit from this

Anandtech has an article about new higher density, dramless drives coming soon at a lower cost. The drives will be slower and have a shorter life span, but would probably be perfect for a PS4 Pro and its SATA3 interface.

Number45

I'm not good with this stuff. So when I buy my new PS4 Pro this can take a HDD that shortens load times? The 1TB that comes with the console won't be this kind of HDD defaultly? If not can I get another 1TB HDD with those same specs for 50-75 dollars?
You're going to be looking at quite a bit more than that for 1TB.

Yeah just seen the price, no thank you
Does normal 2.5 HDD benefit from this
No, because the drive itself is the bottleneck in that case.

Corpekata

Banned
Question: What is this going to do? I don't really understand SSD vs Hard Drive.

SSDs are much faster. Speeds up loading times being the biggest deal when it comes to gaming.

The PS4 has a connector type that was old (SATA2) and the SSD performance on the console was wanting, so some people assume it is the connection type/speed's fault. So people are thinking that the PS4 Pro will get more benefit out of the SSDs.

Slixshot

Banned
Can cheap SSDs even have more than like ten games installed at a time? Feels like a waste to be honest.

Much faster loading, for one.

SSDs are much faster. Speeds up loading times being the biggest deal when it comes to gaming.

The PS4 has a connector type that was old (SATA2) and the SSD performance on the console was wanting, so some people assume it is the connection type/speed's fault. So people are thinking that the PS4 Pro will get more benefit out of the SSDs.

Solid. Maybe I'll pick one up then!

Arttemis

Anandtech has an article about new higher density, dramless drives coming soon at a lower cost. The drives will be slower and have a shorter life span, but would probably be perfect for a PS4 Pro and its SATA3 interface.
Slower? That doesn't sound exciting. Slower than what?

Raybunny

I thought SSHDs were the best thing short of SSDs, but at the same time, I vaguely recall hearing reports of SSHDs trailing in PS4 loading comparisons.

With bloodborne I remember that there were a lot of articles about it.

searching for some info on HDD vs SSHD vs SSD i got:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459128-tested-playstation-4-hard-drive-vs-ssd-vs-hybrid-drive/

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/PlayStation-4-PS4-HDD-SSHD-and-SSD-Performance-Testing

novabolt

When I had the XBE (The one with the Solid State Hybrid Drive), I really didn't notice a difference in loading times. The only game that was quicker to load was Just Cause 3.

laxu

Question: What is this going to do? I don't really understand SSD vs Hard Drive.

Normal hard drives are absolutely terrible at reading numerous small files quickly. Guess what types of files are games full of? SSDs do this as well as large file reading/writing much, much faster, resulting in a lot faster load times and possibly reduces any ingame stutters that could be caused by using more memory than is available (and thus using paging to the hard drive if the PS4 even uses anything like that). Plus no noise since SSDs contain no mechanical parts.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You're going to be looking at quite a bit more than that for 1TB.

No, because the drive itself is the bottleneck in that case.
So if you don't have a SSD it actually is worse?

Number45

So if you don't have a SSD it actually is worse?
No, a standard mechanical HDD will be a bottleneck even in SATA 2. You'll get the same speeds from those drives using SATA 3, you're just wasting more available bandwidth.

Essentially, in theory, this could significantly improve install/load times when a suitable drive is installed to the PS4 Pro. I'll be waiting for the inevitable DF comparison.

Oh boy.... 480/512 gb ssds are quite cheap ( 100-130 euros) even MLC ones. Upgrading your 60gb if needed wont be that expensive. I still remember paying 350 euros for the Corsair Force GT 120gb. The feels

Yeah I had to settle for the 60gb like in 2010-12 or something. Waited for a good deal and just completely forgot about it until now haha.

those windows 10 updates and iTunes iPhone software updates are killing me haha

Top Bottom