• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

chadskin

You won't see any real difference going from sata2 to 3 though

That's true for HDDs because they top out before they get anywhere near SATA 2 bottleneck but for SSDs, SATA 3 can make a difference. Remains to be seen in benchmarks how much exactly.

So are you still limited to a 2TB hdd unless you use the ugly ass Nyko thing?

There's a Samsung 4TB SSD if you can pony up €1200. ;)

Traxtech

What if they change it to sata 3 but they still run it off the usb controller once again. That would really suck

SATA II is 300mb/s

A typical HDD is around 80-150mb/s

Not much need for SATA III. Also if PS4 was truly SATA II you should see a huge benefit by saturating Sata II 300mb/s limit with a SSD but that doesn't seem to happen either so it's not as if simply adding sata III is going to magically not hold loading back like the myths portray. I even see people claim not being Sata III is holding stock PS4 back with its slow HDD.

Hopefully Sony fully support SATA III and get that 600mb/s

I'm pretty sure they deliberately throttle the transfer rate for games so the OS can read/write in the background (installing games from disc, background downloading, etc) without impacting the game.

SATA III should still make a very noticeable difference regardless of that though.

Marmelade

That's true for HDDs because they top out before they get anywhere near SATA 2 bottleneck but for SSDs, SATA 3 can make a difference. Remains to be seen in benchmarks how much exactly.

I'm talking about real world difference
Sure you'll get better r/w speeds but you'll only really notice those if you benchmark with crystaldiskmark & co
I used the same sata3 SSD with both a sata3 and sata2 connection and couldn't notice any difference
And the real benefit of SSD isn't really those speeds but the better response time
Il you're expecting adifference in loading times you're gonna be disappointed

Guymelef

So are you still limited to a 2TB hdd unless you use the ugly ass Nyko thing?

Pretty sure PS4 will have this kind of adapters since you don't have to remove the entire faceplate.
1080000-2.jpg

1111_2538_ps3-ez-flash-external-hdd-6.jpg

jett

D-Member
This topic again? The regular PS4 supports SATA3 hard drives too. What matters is having a SATA3 bus interface. Do we have actual confirmation of that? I don't see that in the OP.

Jonnax

I'm thinking this won't have a measurable impact on loading times but I'm hoping to be proved wrong.

Bring on the benchmarks!

It's always funny to see console gamers get excited for things like this.

You obviously haven't experienced the long load times for Bloodborne or The Witcher 3 on console. Any possibility of increased speed is worth getting excited about.

Everyone is going crazy on speed/loading times... what about capacity?

I'm assuming the same as the base PS4 so nothing larger than 9.5mm. Seems like higher capacity would be something they would mention as a selling point.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well......SSD comes out of OG PS4, will pop my SSHD in there and pop the SSD in the Pro.........

so.........fucking...........ready, load times should be soooooo gooooooooooooood

Caayn

Any news about the size limitations? Will drives still be limited to 9mm in height or is it possible to insert drives of 11mm and 15mm as well in the Pro?

sasliquid

Tried looking yesterday and couldn't see any relatively cost effective 2tb+ sad/sshd that are PS4 combatable, anyone know any?

Does that mean the HDD integrated into the console itself is SATA 3.0 or it just supports it and you have to get an extra one and change it?

I was wavering on getting one after the lackluster reveal, but this pushes me back towards the "buy" column.

Can't wait to see what a difference this makes for load times.

BreakAtmo

Should be showing up on Newegg, Amazon, etc soon. 2TB version for $120 ain't too shabby. I have Seagate's 1TB SSHD on my launch PS4 and it's worked wonders for load times and installs for me.

FYI, the 2TB SSHD Firecuda will come with a 5 year warranty too.

OMG I've been wondering for ages when a 2TB PS4-ready SSHD would finally arrive. That plus SATA 3.0 in the Pro will be a thing of beauty.

I really don't know enough about how the PS4 operating system works to know if TRIM is really needed. I suppose it's complicated by the file system encryption.

It would be great if a site like Digital Foundry could do some digging around this, and look at what the implications are for SSDs.
The PS4 is running openBSD. It should support TRIM by default.

nullpoynter

wake me up when Sony decides to support external hard drives like MS, Nintendo and PC.
At least Sony gives you the option to upgrade the internal drive though. You can't swap out the internal on the Xbox even if it goes bad as it's not user replaceable. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo can all do better but I'll take Sony's solution over the others.

wake me up when Sony decides to support external hard drives like MS, Nintendo and PC.

This. During Prime Day I copped 2 4TB external drives, one for my Xbox One and another for my PS4 (which already has a 2TB drive in it) here's hoping Sony let's me use it for once.

ethomaz

Banned
7200rpm HDD or SSHD won't see difference.

But SSD will just fly with SATA3.

Can't wait to have one on my machine.

When I bought my PS4, I also got a 1TB SSHD and have never swapped it out. I have PT on it and a lot of save data I don't want to lose, so I was just going to plug my old PS4 into my PS4 Pro and transfer everything over that way. Then I'll sell my base PS4, meaning I'll only have the ability to easily do this once.

So if I'm going to buy a SSD, I want to have it by launch day. I really hope we get comparisons by release.

Caayn

Does that mean the HDD integrated into the console itself is SATA 3.0 or it just supports it and you have to get an extra one and change it?
Getting a SATA 2 drive is kinda hard these days, it'll most likely be a SATA 3 HDD that comes as the default drive. That said a HDD will sooner run into its own mechanical limits than the limits of SATA 2, let alone SATA 3.

Getting a SATA 2 drive is kinda hard these days, it'll most likely be a SATA 3 HDD that comes as the default drive. That said a physical hard drive will sooner run into its own mechanical limits than the limits of SATA 2, let alone SATA 3.

What do you mean by physical hard drive? Are there virtual hard drives? I didn't get it.

ethomaz

Banned
Getting a SATA 2 drive is kinda hard these days, it'll most likely be a SATA 3 HDD that comes as the default drive. That said a physical hard drive will sooner run into its own mechanical limits than the limits of SATA 2, let alone SATA 3.
Only SSD will go ahead of SATA2 and SATA3 speeds.

Any mechanical HDD will be fine with SATA2.

Edit - You mean HDD... yeap same thing than me ;)

ethomaz

Banned
Slower? That doesn't sound exciting. Slower than what?
SATA3 is slower than M.2 with NVMe or SATA Express with NVMe.

But SATA3 is enough for any SSD without NVMe like the 750/850 EVO... the 950 Pro for example uses M.2 with NVMe and in this case SATA3 can't reach the speeds of the SSD.

Rootbeer

Banned
Great news for a future upgrade... but I'll be keeping my PS4Pro with the standard 1TB for now. Heck, my Launch Day PS4 still has the basic 500GB inside, and while I have to manage the storage more than I'd like, it's been fine. So I'm already getting double storage Day 1 with the Pro, so I'm happy.

Now, later in 2017 hopefully I can swap in a larger than 1TB SSD or Hybrid.

I'll be watching for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals too in case the opportunity for a much earlier upgrade arises.

I just hope that future games allow you to not locally store 4K textures if you only are going to run in 1080p mode. It would save a ton of space.

FZW

At least Sony gives you the option to upgrade the internal drive though. You can't swap out the internal on the Xbox even if it goes bad as it's not user replaceable. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo can all do better but I'll take Sony's solution over the others.

Being limited to 2TB is a much bigger issue to me, I'm already using 3TB on my XB1 and I'm not paying $1000+ for it
I Iimit my PS4 purchases because of it.

Pretty sure PS4 will have this kind of adapters since you don't have to remove the entire faceplate.

So there is no PS4 version yet?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Samsung 1TB 850 Evo is around £300 here, am I not looking in the right places and/or is there a cheaper alternative?

Top Bottom