Getting "Full-Quality" Screenshots off your PS4

Jan 14, 2011
Hamburg - GER
My friend and I just realized today that you can attach screenshots to your PSN messages (lol). Using the Playstation mobile app, you can read those messages under your message history and save the screenshots to your phone and then e-mail yourself or upload to something like Dropbox. I have a separate Japan PSN account that I added as a friend so I could send myself screenshots.
Sry for reviving this thread, but I recognized something interesting when using the above mentioned method.

The original screenshot on my PS4 had a size of 443 kB (picture 1). The screen I have sent with a PS message and saved it afterwards on my tablet with the playstation app has a size 3 times as big (1380 kB, picture 2). But as you can see, there seems to be zero quality difference. Probably a bug within the PS-messaging system or the android app?

Picture 1: Original file, imported via USB

Picture 2: File saved via PS-App

Aug 15, 2007
Sry for reviving this thread, but I recognized something interesting when using the above mentioned method.

The original screenshot on my PS4 had a size of 443 kB (picture 1). The screen I have sent with a PS message and saved it afterwards on my tablet with the playstation app has a size 3 times as big (1380 kB, picture 2). But as you can see, there seems to be zero quality difference. Probably a bug within the PS-messaging system or the android app?

Picture 1: Original file, imported via USB

Picture 2: File saved via PS-App
yep. i wouldnt go through the trouble of doing the usb import over sending via ps app. as quality seems even more negligible than even ps app vs. facebook/twitter. wish they would just save as full quality without compression.

Apr 12, 2007
Actually, if you look around 'fro-man on the bricks of the tower behind him you can very clearly see that there's overcompression in the app version of the image.

The USB version is very smooth while the app version exhibits macroblocking.

So the App is recompressing the image.

Also... number of unique colors:

USB: 306138
App: 321378

So the app version is definitely recompressed. Macroblocking is very evident if you fullscreen the pics on a 1920x1080 screen and flip back and forth between them.

Aug 15, 2007
Actually, if you look around 'fro-man on the bricks of the tower behind him you can very clearly see that there's overcompression in the app version of the image.

The USB version is very smooth while the app version exhibits macroblocking.

So the App is recompressing the image.

Also... number of unique colors:

USB: 306138
App: 321378

So the app version is definitely recompressed. Macroblocking is very evident if you fullscreen the pics on a 1920x1080 screen and flip back and forth between them.
whelp. that does it. getting lasik asap