• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting "Full-Quality" Screenshots off your PS4

Melchiah

Tried the trick by sending few Killzone and Tomb Raider screenshots to my US account, and to tell the truth I don't really notice a difference in quality.

Original:
ibmBC31jIAioWm.jpg

FB:
iEX4pgXlp36tk.jpg

Original:
ibaovJ3fI6annb.jpg

FB:
ivyxSfX0weAj.jpg

Nerix

My friend and I just realized today that you can attach screenshots to your PSN messages (lol). Using the Playstation mobile app, you can read those messages under your message history and save the screenshots to your phone and then e-mail yourself or upload to something like Dropbox. I have a separate Japan PSN account that I added as a friend so I could send myself screenshots.
Sry for reviving this thread, but I recognized something interesting when using the above mentioned method.

The original screenshot on my PS4 had a size of 443 kB (picture 1). The screen I have sent with a PS message and saved it afterwards on my tablet with the playstation app has a size 3 times as big (1380 kB, picture 2). But as you can see, there seems to be zero quality difference. Probably a bug within the PS-messaging system or the android app?

Picture 1: Original file, imported via USB
raymanlegends_201408013c30.jpg

Picture 2: File saved via PS-App
2mc2e.jpg

Nerix

Comparing the two back to back there seems to be a very small difference in color intensity, but that's about it.
Yep, strange... The first thought I had was, that this could be a way to increase the screenshot quality (a 300-500 kB file size for a 1080p screen is not really great).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sry for reviving this thread, but I recognized something interesting when using the above mentioned method.

The original screenshot on my PS4 had a size of 443 kB (picture 1). The screen I have sent with a PS message and saved it afterwards on my tablet with the playstation app has a size 3 times as big (1380 kB, picture 2). But as you can see, there seems to be zero quality difference. Probably a bug within the PS-messaging system or the android app?

Picture 1: Original file, imported via USB
raymanlegends_201408013c30.jpg

Picture 2: File saved via PS-App
2mc2e.jpg

yep. i wouldnt go through the trouble of doing the usb import over sending via ps app. as quality seems even more negligible than even ps app vs. facebook/twitter. wish they would just save as full quality without compression.

Schrade

Actually, if you look around 'fro-man on the bricks of the tower behind him you can very clearly see that there's overcompression in the app version of the image.

The USB version is very smooth while the app version exhibits macroblocking.

So the App is recompressing the image.

Also... number of unique colors:

USB: 306138
App: 321378

So the app version is definitely recompressed. Macroblocking is very evident if you fullscreen the pics on a 1920x1080 screen and flip back and forth between them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Actually, if you look around 'fro-man on the bricks of the tower behind him you can very clearly see that there's overcompression in the app version of the image.

The USB version is very smooth while the app version exhibits macroblocking.

So the App is recompressing the image.

Also... number of unique colors:

USB: 306138
App: 321378

So the app version is definitely recompressed. Macroblocking is very evident if you fullscreen the pics on a 1920x1080 screen and flip back and forth between them.

whelp. that does it. getting lasik asap

Top Bottom