• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting Older And Switch Is My Vibe

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You're the first dude whom I have seen actively mentioning the CPC 464 as one of the computers he grew up with. Mad respect, man.

It was the first machine I learned to code on too, at the age of 8. Not hardcore stuff, initially modifying magazine listings to make them do what I wanted them to do, but then building my own stuff. Tbh though the ST was the really important machine to me, growing up, as much as the CPC set me on the path. The ST was where I really solidified what I was going to do with my life (at about 12 I was making games on it, as well as serious software). Both had an impact though, no doubt. With my background, and my issues, if it wasn't for code my life would have been very very shitty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudo

It was the first machine I learned to code on too, at the age of 8. Not hardcore stuff, initially modifying magazine listings to make them do what I wanted them to do, but then building my own stuff. Tbh though the ST was the really important machine to me, growing up, as much as the CPC set me on the path. The ST was where I really solidified what I was going to do with my life (at about 12 I was making games on it, as well as serious software). Both had an impact though, no doubt.
How big was the ST in the UK back then? I hope you don't mind me asking. I know that "on the continent" the Amiga was clearly favored by many (at least in Germany, dunno about the French). The CPC was somewhat popular in Germany as well but it was called Schneider CPC 464 because Amstrad did a deal with them. But the Commodore C64 was, of course, the market leader still.

Mihos

Gold Member
Got mine at the age of 40. Always been a computer guy before then (Amstrad CPC 464 -> Atari ST -> PC). Absolutely cracking little machine, and as others have said, only Nintendo does what Nintendo does, and they do it brilliantly. This little gadget never fails to put a smile on my face.

My first was a Timex Sinclair... couldn't even type the commands, they were all preset keys :pie_unamused:

Sad that getting an Adam computer was actually a huge upgrade....

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
How big was the ST in the UK back then? I hope you don't mind me asking. I know that "on the continent" the Amiga was clearly favored by many (at least in Germany, dunno about the French). The CPC was somewhat popular in Germany as well but it was called Schneider CPC 464 because Amstrad did a deal with them. But the Commodore C64 was, of course, the market leader still.

Tbh I'm not entirely sure - I don't think any of my friends had one, I think there might have been the odd Amiga but it was mostly mega drives I think. That said, I recall seeing somewhere that Germany was a hotbed of Atari ST users, but I could easily be full of shit. Tbh as a kid I wasn't hugely aware so I'd be going on hindsight and guesswork - likely wiki would provide better answers than I could,

Hudo

Tbh I'm not entirely sure - I don't think any of my friends had one, I think there might have been the odd Amiga but it was mostly mega drives I think. That said, I recall seeing somewhere that Germany was a hotbed of Atari ST users, but I could easily be full of shit. Tbh as a kid I wasn't hugely aware so I'd be going on hindsight and guesswork - likely wiki would provide better answers than I could,
Ah, OK. Thank you for answering me anyway :). I always love to hear from people "who were there", so to speak.

SirTerry-T

It was the first machine I learned to code on too, at the age of 8. Not hardcore stuff, initially modifying magazine listings to make them do what I wanted them to do, but then building my own stuff. Tbh though the ST was the really important machine to me, growing up, as much as the CPC set me on the path. The ST was where I really solidified what I was going to do with my life (at about 12 I was making games on it, as well as serious software). Both had an impact though, no doubt. With my background, and my issues, if it wasn't for code my life would have been very very shitty.
The CPC and the ST both had killer software that came out of France..Infogrammes usually. For some reason both machines seemed to click with the dev scene over there but maybe that's a topic for another thread :)

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The CPC and the ST both had killer software that came out of France..Infogrammes usually. For some reason both machines seemed to click with the dev scene over there but maybe that's a topic for another thread :)

I remember French games being really fucking weird as a rule. That no longer seems to be the case.

Saruhashi

Banned
Achievements just annoy me. Those shitty annoying popups just serve no purpose.

LOL. Yup.

I turn those notifications off within the first day of buying any console.

"I just love these immersive games..."
Bling Beep Beep Achievement - The Journey Begins - Completed Tutorial On Any Difficulty.

The only thing that interests me is the % of players who get any given trophy.
For any given game it looks like almost half of the people who play never get to the end.

I do get that some people love to get a Platinum Trophy or whatever but I wish they'd do something like give you a different icon for the game on your home screen if you 100% a game to that Platinum level. Plus bullshit achievements like getting past Chapter 1, 2, 3 etc are just a waste of time.

Last edited:

xiseerht

As time passes more and more, I really feel less interested in "mature" games.

I am a new owner of a Switch and the library is near perfect. I used to shun Nintendo because it was just "kiddie" games and always underpowered.

Now I want more than ever games like Zelda and Pokemon and stuff like the Trials of Mana remake. I even want to give Animal House a spin.

To me all these adult games all feel the same in a way. It's like "oh there's Laura Bailey again" because apparently there's a severe shortage of western voice actors.

Case in point, I just watched some vids of the Switch remake of Links Awakening and I immediately fell in love.

If I weren't broke, Links Awakening would have been bought by me right now.

I love the top-down Zelda games so how did I not know this existed?

Furthermore, I'm finding Bloodstained very enjoyable although I'm not sure if that counts.

Anyone else burned out on all the Call if Duties and Red Dead Redemptions and just feeling like good ol'e Mario and Zelda now?

Based on what you are saying . It sounds like you just want to play older style games of the past. The Super Nintendo era games. That are more current .

SirTerry-T

LOL. Yup.

I turn those notifications off within the first day of buying any console.

"I just love these immersive games..."
Bling Beep Beep Achievement - The Journey Begins - Completed Tutorial On Any Difficulty.

The only thing that interests me is the % of players who get any given trophy.
For any given game it looks like almost half of the people who play never get to the end.

I do get that some people love to get a Platinum Trophy or whatever but I wish they'd do something like give you a different icon for the game on your home screen if you 100% a game to that Platinum level. Plus bullshit achievements like getting past Chapter 1, 2, 3 etc are just a waste of time.
That's why I loved what Nintendo did with BOTW's Korok seeds. Someone on that design team clearly had a sense of humour.

Saruhashi

Banned
I find most AAA games are derivative shite infested with mind-numbing hand-holding tutorial style presentation that last the entirety of the campaign, generic game mechanics, micro-transactions along with loads of other boring crap. It's probably not so much that you are burned out on them and more to do with the fact that the majority of AAAs offer very little in the way of fresh ideas. If you are a mature gamer you have seen it all before and most of these games have nothing new to offer and keep you engaged.

Avoid all AAA entirely until a title is at least a year old no matter how much launch hype there is around the game. If a game is genuinely good then it will still have a lot of buzz around it long after its been released. This one piece of advice has saved me a fortune and a shit load of time.

I don't think you are too old to appreciate good games, it's just that you have just been looking in the wrong place for those new and engaging experiences.

I was thinking this with the new Gen coming up.
They will almost certainly do a slim or pro or something version in 3 years.
So it seems almost better to just wait 3 years and then you've got a list of top level games to pick from.
Same applies to Nintendo of course.

For me, when I am playing something on PS4 (or when I inevitably get PS5) I usually want to be left alone for a solid 3 to 4 hours at a time with my headphones on so I can properly get into the game. Most of the AAA experiences kind of demand that at the moment.

On Switch I get more of a feeling that I can pick something up and have an enjoyable burst of gameplay and just put it down when I am done.
As a result Switch becomes my "go to" console far more easily. It's a bit more casual and I don't think that's a bad thing.

A lot of AAA is really focused on making movie or TV show like experiences and this is backed up by a weird desire to see all these games made into movies or shitty Netflix shows. Uncharted, The Witcher, etc etc. Wouldn't it be great if there were movies for all of these? Sure, if you don't like the actually "gameplay" aspect of games that would be great. It's Uncharted but instead of 20 hours it's just 2 and a half hours and you don't have to deal with all that daft videogame bollocks.

The appeal of Switch, for me, is that it's a videogame console for games.
No bullshit.
It doesn't need to have Netflix or Youtube or fucking achievement systems or other assorted crap.

You've got the flexibility of being able to play how you want, when you want.

Not a good console for people who take themselves too seriously though.

Still I have no doubt I'll be sitting up all night playing the Demon's Souls remaster once I pick up a PS5.

Saruhashi

Banned
When you are a kid, you would desperately try to play “mature” games be one of the adults but I’m waaaay past that age. I no longer care if the games looks “mature” or “kiddie”, I play what I want.....it’s that simple.

Yeah it's quite funny to look back.

I remember when Mortal Kombat was this big big deal and nowadays it's just ridiculous to think that this was the "edgy" game of the times.
The violence isn't even remotely realistic and yet it was still treated like some "coming of age" moment to be playing "grown up" games.

Anyone remember the first GTA? Hilarious to look back now and consider that this was the peak of edgy, grown up, games.

Probably actual adults were looking at us thinking "really?"

It seems like that attitude towards gaming never really went away though.
I'm always amused to see people reacting badly to things like Animal Crossing.
As if the existence of "casual" games is some threat to their "real gamer" experience.

Until they put easy mode in FromSoftware games. Then I am going to freak out.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Trying to follow the thread so I may have missed it, but did OP ever explain how they decided to buy a console with no backwards compatibility in the first place when it's such an important aspect to them?

Trying to follow the thread so I may have missed it, but did OP ever explain how they decided to buy a console with no backwards compatibility in the first place when it's such an important aspect to them?
Where did I mention backward compatibility?

I did say it's my first Nintendo system since the SNES but I'm legit confused about what you mean when you said I mentioned backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

wd40

i like the switch and all but other than the good nintendo games (which have been p absent as of recent) theres really no reason for me to play something thats on switch when I can get it on PC or PS4 (or probably Xbox if i had one) for more than likely cheaper and have it run better. I wouldn't even say the handheld part of the switch sells me, because you compare it to the PSP or 3DS, the switch is fucking huge, its like the same size as the atari lynx.

Top Bottom