• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting Older And Switch Is My Vibe

Piku_Ringo

Banned
As time passes more and more, I really feel less interested in "mature" games.

I am a new owner of a Switch and the library is near perfect. I used to shun Nintendo because it was just "kiddie" games and always underpowered.
Sees Avatar

Makes perfect sense to me.
w1G0HU9.png

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony is 41. He wears Nintendo T-shirts wherever he goes and Nintendo pajamas to bed. He owns 5 Nintendo Switches and loves them to bits. His entire house is decorated with Nintendo figurines, amiibo and all kinds of Nintendo paraphernalia.

He doesn't give a shit what other people think of him. And that's what makes him a chad.

He says games shouldn't be realistic and just be pure fun. He says Sony has a lot to learn from Nintendo and should learn how to make games fun again instead of walking simulators that only contain the colours green, grey and brown.

When you think of Nintendo, you think of Mario, joy, colours and fun. And in his own words "When I think of Sony, I think of shit. Nobody gives a shit about Kratos."

As a massive Sony fan, I knew he was right and could only scream into my pillow to vent my frustrations.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony is 41. He wears Nintendo T-shirts wherever he goes and Nintendo pajamas to bed. He owns 5 Nintendo Switches and loves them to bits. He doesn't give a shit what other people think of him. And that's what makes him a chad.

He says games shouldn't be realistic and just be pure fun. He says Sony has a lot to learn from Nintendo and should learn how to make games fun again instead of walking simulators that only contain the colours green, grey and brown.

When you think of Nintendo, you think of Mario, joy, colours and fun. And in his own words "When I think of Sony, I think of shit. Nobody gives a shit about Kratos."

As a massive Sony fan, I knew he was right and could only scream into my pillow to vent my frustrations.

Sounds like my kinda guy.
I hope you value his friendship.

What kind of Nintendo pyjamas does he own? With winter coming I may invest in some myself.

Clarissa

Banned
Just to add on a quote by my great friend.

"Nintendo fans shouldn't have to beg to have games ported to the Nintendo Switch. Every developer should be sucking Nintendo's dick and fighting for a chance to have their games be on the Switch. It is up to Nintendo to choose which game has the highest honour of being on the switch."

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Sounds like my kinda guy.
I hope you value his friendship.

What kind of Nintendo pyjamas does he own? With winter coming I may invest in some myself.
I think he owns this

I think he might own Nintendo underwear as well but I didn't want to ask.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Switch and its wholesome games are great. Perfect if you have limited gaming time and a family. Also perfect for other family members and kids. Just an awesome device.

Not burned out but then again I don't play that often.

One of the things I don't like about Switch is that despite being portable it is relatively inconvenient - you are literally going around with the additional big phone-like object. For me probably streaming will fare better - laptop (even work laptop) + phone is just enough.

And in case of moving somewhere - Series S + portable beamer.

Last edited:
What if I told you Nintendo was never childish it was just you.
I'm sick of this childish ass mentality most of you picked up in middle and high school that if the game isn't M-Rated or devoid of colors you can't be caught dead with it or else people might call you a baby.
I'd like to think most would have outgrown that shit and realized adults can enjoy whatever the fuck they want but I guess not.

I can't play those Nintendo games that have colors in them with engaging simple to grasp, complex to master gameplay on that wimpy little system designed to adapt to peoples lifestyle. "I only pway gwames wit big guns and expwosions and girls with big boobies because I want to be all gwone up"

My god the irony

You don't have to justify wanting Nintendo's games. Games are games there's always something good to enjoy there its people that carry baggage and are in denial.

Sp6W5mi.jpg

“When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

cDXYpHb.jpg
Calm down, my guy. I was a Nintendo player even in High School and I'm pretty much saying here I love Nintendo nowadays anyway. I don't know if that "redeems" me but whatever.

Anyways I always liked games that weren't "mature". I've always been a huge JRPG fan. Frankly I'm just bored of most of them these days. But I think it's also my growing disdain of western games. I'm sure somebody will scream in my face about that but I think more and more I'm sticking to Zeldas and Japanese games in general.

Edit: depression may be a factor as well. Too many ugly western games....

did I really need to see shooting a baby out of my vag in first person?

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Not even a 4k option for Switch ruins it for me. Nintendo is always so far behind the competition. It wouldn't surprise me if their next console doesn't support 4k. Because it's Nintendo.
What does a 4k image add to game mechanics and a strong game design?
It seems such a strange criteria to judge your enjoyment of a videogame on. Does it matter that much if the electronic gaming toys in the entertainment centre don't throw a 4k image onto your big boys TV?

During the PS3 generation there were a string of games I played like Bioshock, Dead Space, Uncharted, and AC 2 that had me questioning if I really like gaming anymore. I was also briefly into trophy hunting which made games even more of a chore than actual fun.

I sold or gave away most of my collection and took some time off. I eventually bought the Wii U because there were a handful of games I was interested in and realized that I never really stopped liking gaming, I just disliked the type of games I was playing and have stuck with Nintendo (+ PC) ever since and have been content. I may eventually buy the PS5 or XSX or XSS, but not feeling compelled at the moment.

Inanilmaz

I love my switch lite 🙌 the only downside is the performance (like many framedrops in Links Awakening) and newly the bad resolution in pikmin 3 etc. But anyway i can live with that even tho its annoying

Been there buddy, been there.
I refused to get the gamecube back then because my friends said it was "too kiddie" and that edgy and mature games mostly found in the ps2 were the ones for us as we were clearly mature and independent grown-ups aged 15.

I love my switch lite 🙌 the only downside is the performance (like many framedrops in Links Awakening) and newly the bad resolution in pikmin 3 etc. But anyway i can live with that even tho its annoying
Yeah that's what I got, Switch Lite.

I've only noticed slowdown in Bloodstained when I fought one of the next-to-last bosses.

mr.dilya

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony is 41. He wears Nintendo T-shirts wherever he goes and Nintendo pajamas to bed. He owns 5 Nintendo Switches and loves them to bits. His entire house is decorated with Nintendo figurines, amiibo and all kinds of Nintendo paraphernalia.

He doesn't give a shit what other people think of him. And that's what makes him a chad.

it was hilarious when someone in another thread was comparing the GOW franchise to Mario. Lmao.

DESTROYA

Nintendo needs to establish a next gen console asap if they want respect from gamers that they think they deserve.
WTF are you talking about they get respect and it shows with the sales numbers, if it came out 4 years earlier in 2013 like the PS4/Xbox did I have no doubt in my mind it it would surpass them in sales or at least have similar numbers to the PS4.
Thats all the respect Nintendo needs and not validation from Sony Ponies or Xbots, see heres the thing Nintendo gamers really don’t care what others are doing because they do there own thing and have fun doing them it’s other consoles warriors that worry that Nintendo is making games that aren’t “mature” enough for them.

A lot of folk on this site need to get over the fact that the vast majority of people who play and buy games don't spend +15 hours a week on them.

Switch is great, and it's success plays into this.

notseqi

QUOTE: Darkmakaimura

"Now I want more than ever games like Zelda and Pokemon and stuff like the Trials of Mana remake. I even want to give Animal House a spin"

Is Animal House on the Switch? JK

animalhouse3.jpg
xgps1.jpg
homepage_EB19780101REVIEWS801010308AR.jpg

Deathmobile+Art+Car+For+Sale+Front.jpg
(you can highlight text and 'quote' or 'reply' will pop up)

StormCell

This is not a switch circle jerking topic and the post you quoted wasn't even about me not liking switch.

You and other people always post retarded gifs\meme when someone doens't like nintendo way or their games because they think they are childish (last example the botw vs mgs5 topic), you people really like nintendo, we get it, how is that different than me posting my disappointement?

again dude, i don't wanna be rude or fight over videogames if i can avoid that.

I wish you were happier with your Switch. Not because I'm happy with mine, but because these are video game systems and they're supposed to deliver entertainment. I've been very, very happy with my PS4 and my Switch. And I'm giving a long look at XSX because it will carry more games that I really like next gen.

Gamers get defensive, but nothing is more important than your happiness with a thing you bought.

I used to be. Back when Ninty had balls. Now they just get by on gimmicky underpowered consoles.

They're doing more than just getting by, aren't they? If Nintendo has lost their balls then the industry as a whole has also lost their balls. Would explain going WOKE. It takes more than making even more photorealistic graphics to have balls. Adding an SSD isn't ballsy. This is the safest and most sterile I've seen gaming in my entire life. The NES had more balls than the PS4/XB1 generation.

At least with Switch I can have a home console experience no matter where I'm at.

Riven326

Banned
How much immersion do you gain vs 1080p? Do you not consider that past a certain point you reach a state of diminishing returns?
Not in my experience. Some games on the Pro or the X allow me to choose between 1080p, 1440p, and 4k. The latter looks noticeably better than the others. Even checkerboard rendering looks significantly better.

But the real issue here is that the Switch doesn't have an internal upscaler. Hence no 4k output option. This means you're relying on the display to upscale everything and they do a mediocre job. Sony tv's are an exception.

The truth is, I want my games to look good when I'm playing them. Low resolution games that are full of jaggies, I find too distracting. It's akin to playing a game that's constantly dropping frames.

DESTROYA

How much immersion do you gain vs 1080p? Do you not consider that past a certain point you reach a state of diminishing returns?
4X
All kidding aside 4K is probably the most overrated things to come to gaming .
Yes it makes games look crisper and cleaner but it doesn’t do anything to improve gameplay besides making things look slightly better.
Is it a great option ? Of course but necessary needed.

Riven326

Banned
4X
All kidding aside 4K is probably the most overrated things to come to gaming .
Yes it makes games look crisper and cleaner but it doesn’t do anything to improve gameplay besides making things look slightly better.
Is it a great option ? Of course but necessary needed.
I remember people saying the same thing about 720p. Its a luxury. It's not needed. 480p looks fine. The same thing happened with 1080p and now it's happening again with 4k. It may not seem as impressive a jump as 30hz to 60hz, but try playing your favorite games in 480p and get back to me.

DESTROYA

I remember people saying the same thing about 720p. Its a luxury. It's not needed. 480p looks fine. The same thing happened with 1080p and now it's happening again with 4k. It may not seem as impressive a jump as 30hz to 60hz, but try playing your favorite games in 480p and get back to me.
Not talking about 480P but the jump from 1080P to 4K isn’t as big , I never remember anyone saying that.

Riven326

Banned
Not talking about 480P but the jump from 1080P to 4K isn’t as big , I never remember anyone saying that.
What im trying to say is, I don't think people should downplay the important role resolution plays in immersion. The goal should be to play games in your display's native resolution. Mine happens to be 4k, a resolution that Nintendo does not support.

DESTROYA

What im trying to say is, I don't think people should downplay the important role resolution plays in immersion. The goal should be to play games in your display's native resolution. Mine happens to be 4k, a resolution that Nintendo does not support.
Yeah but try taking that 4K TV to another room or on the road.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hahaha the console bitching. We are free to play what we want. I don’t give a shit of you play pong on the Atari or the latest game on PC. It’s your time. spend it how you want. Enjoy. Live in peace.

StormCell

I don't play games when I go out.

So you're never on the road? You never stay in hotels or camp sites?

When I visit family for the holidays, I love having my own means of entertainment and to be able to get away for a bit and just enjoy whatever game I'm into at the time.

In fact, one thing I really don't enjoy is getting a new game over the holidays and then having to leave it behind for 4 or 5 days because I'm visiting family. I'm not talking about ignoring family while I pour a hundred hours into a new game. I just like to be able to unwind a little bit before bed by playing my game.

Riven326

Banned
So you're never on the road? You never stay in hotels or camp sites?

When I visit family for the holidays, I love having my own means of entertainment and to be able to get away for a bit and just enjoy whatever game I'm into at the time.

In fact, one thing I really don't enjoy is getting a new game over the holidays and then having to leave it behind for 4 or 5 days because I'm visiting family. I'm not talking about ignoring family while I pour a hundred hours into a new game. I just like to be able to unwind a little bit before bed by playing my game.
I'm on the road everyday. It's part of my job. I go camping to escape the modern world. That includes games. Gaming for me is a hobby that I like to engage in after work sometimes. It's not something I want to take with me wherever I go.

Bragr

Banned
doens't like nintendo way or their games because they think they are childish
But it's a troll statement. Just because many Nintendo games are built for younger audiences in story and art does not mean they are in design or mechanics. It's fine if a person isn't into Zelda or whatever, but Nintendo has the best track record of any developer in history when it comes to game design. Historically it's not even remotely close. Mario might look like a cartoon character and Mario games might look kid-friendly, but his sense of movement gratification in 3D space is unrivaled in videogame history and the level design is tuned to the highest levels of game design mastery and studied by every game developer. In many areas, Mario is more honed than any God of War or Bloodborne ever will be. In fact, those games have their foundations built on old Nintendo games like Zelda. That does NOT mean it's a better game or that you need to love it, but saying that Nintendo games are childish or whatever is only said by people who play very few games or kids who actually think Bloodborne or Call of Duty is mature. It's videogames, it's all somewhat childish. The exploration design in Breath of the Wild will be featured in every big open-world to come, Ghost of Tsushima had it, Assassins Creed Valhalla features it, and you can bet Todd Howard and Bethesda is studing that game for the new Elder Scrolls as well as Rockstar for GTA 6. I can't even fathom how a person can sit and play Mario Odyssey and complain that it's childish when you start to think about what's under the hood of that game.

You have to be somewhat of a muppet to not see what Nintendo has achieved on some of their platforms. Speaking of muppets, some would say the muppets are childish and silly too, but anyone who knows anything of TV is aware that the old muppets show has some of the cleverest and best put together ideas in TV history. Quality does not come from appearance or art style alone, especially not videogames.

Nozz-A-La

I have always liked the idea of team games but in reality they were never as fun as I hoped. I always felt under such pressure to play perfectly or at any moment I was going to get grief from someone. Seeing as my gaming skills are far from impressive I had pretty much given up on them. Then I tried Splatoon 2 and fell in love. That game brings me such a ridiculous amount of joy, and there is really nothing like it.

i do love the Switch for games like only Nintendo make, but I also love my other consoles too for the more “mature” games like Hitman and Yakuza. Basically I enjoy all the consoles and pc gaming.

Last edited:

GymWolf

But it's a troll statement. Just because many Nintendo games are built for younger audiences in story and art does not mean they are in design or mechanics. It's fine if a person isn't into Zelda or whatever, but Nintendo has the best track record of any developer in history when it comes to game design. Historically it's not even remotely close. Mario might look like a cartoon character and Mario games might look kid-friendly, but his sense of movement gratification in 3D space is unrivaled in videogame history and the level design is tuned to the highest levels of game design mastery and studied by every game developer. In many areas, Mario is more honed than any God of War or Bloodborne ever will be. In fact, those games have their foundations built on old Nintendo games like Zelda. That does NOT mean it's a better game or that you need to love it, but saying that Nintendo games are childish or whatever is only said by people who play very few games or kids who actually think Bloodborne or Call of Duty is mature. It's videogames, it's all somewhat childish. The exploration design in Breath of the Wild will be featured in every big open-world to come, Ghost of Tsushima had it, Assassins Creed Valhalla features it, and you can bet Todd Howard and Bethesda is studing that game for the new Elder Scrolls as well as Rockstar for GTA 6. I can't even fathom how a person can sit and play Mario Odyssey and complain that it's childish when you start to think about what's under the hood of that game.

You have to be somewhat of a muppet to not see what Nintendo has achieved on some of their platforms. Speaking of muppets, some would say the muppets are childish and silly too, but anyone who knows anything of TV is aware that the old muppets show has some of the cleverest and best put together ideas in TV history. Quality does not come from appearance or art style alone, especially not videogames.
In my book it's not less childish or trolling material than people who talk shit about realistic or cinematographic games calling them walking simulators.

I wasn't even talking about me in that post, i never said that mario or zelda are childish, maybe just the external coat of paint that can throw some people off.

Also we don't have the muppets here in italy but i played the psx game :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Tough to be broke and a Nintendo fan..

CiV 6 and Dragon Quest Builders 2 are two of my favorites on the switch, that give you plenty of value for the money....
Yeah I know they're very conservative when it comes to first party prices.

I've seen quite a few third party games for cheap though. Unfortunately, Link's Awakening is first party.

No shit right? Switch is awesome like that... In bed, on the toilet wherever you want...
The portability is one of the main reasons I wanted one since I don't have access to a TV for extended times.

Plus I don't have Internet here so if I need to update the system or a game, I need to bring the Switch with me to a family friend who does.

Ten_Fold

I think I brought like 5 PS4 in the 7 years it’s been out, just felt bored of what they offered. I got about 20+ switch games. I feel you OP the COD and the AAA walking simulator games just bored me. Yeah they look cool but I care about gameplay over looking great and the switch seems like they are the best when it comes to gameplay.

Ozzie666

In this busy world, Switch is perfect and translates well into peoples gaming habits on the go and bite size pieces. But I wish more third parties would develop content on the system. A company like Sega and more importantly Atlus. I mean Persona 5 would have been perfect on the console. Shining Force 3 remake or 4, games like that, that suit the Switch. So many companies like EA, have dropped the ball. I hope they continue the Switch aspect of the console, with perhaps a better base that actually improves performance. The brand is too strong to ignore now, development is cheaper.

During the Pandemic, I played Luigi's Mansion 3, Last of Us 2 and Ghosts. I really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion and it was a breath of fresh air from ultra realistic games. I remember not being able to stop smiling whilst playing it.

Bragr

Banned
In my book it's not less childish or trolling material than people who talk shit about realistic or cinematographic games calling them walking simulators.

I wasn't even talking about me in that post, i never said that mario or zelda are childish, maybe just the external coat of paint that can throw some people off.

Also we don't have the muppets here in italy but i played the psx game :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
"Walking simulators", "it's childish", "I don't like under-powered consoles", "consoles are for casuals" it's all the same troll bullshit.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
As time passes more and more, I really feel less interested in "mature" games.

I am a new owner of a Switch and the library is near perfect. I used to shun Nintendo because it was just "kiddie" games and always underpowered.

Now I want more than ever games like Zelda and Pokemon and stuff like the Trials of Mana remake. I even want to give Animal House a spin.

To me all these adult games all feel the same in a way. It's like "oh there's Laura Bailey again" because apparently there's a severe shortage of western voice actors.

Case in point, I just watched some vids of the Switch remake of Links Awakening and I immediately fell in love.

If I weren't broke, Links Awakening would have been bought by me right now.

I love the top-down Zelda games so how did I not know this existed?

Furthermore, I'm finding Bloodstained very enjoyable although I'm not sure if that counts.

Anyone else burned out on all the Call if Duties and Red Dead Redemptions and just feeling like good ol'e Mario and Zelda now?
I feel you brother. I turn 41 this month. I have a ps4 and find myself playing switch much more often. Graphics are presentation take a back seat to pure FUN.

Last edited:
"Walking simulators", "it's childish", "I don't like under-powered consoles", "consoles are for casuals" it's all the same troll bullshit.
I'm too old and too anxious for all that. As much as I am praising the Switch, I love all the consoles and PC. They all have their pros and cons.

My gripes are mainly DRM and necessary day one patches. Well, there's also the issue of "wokeness" in games these days but I am a bit more adamant on the drm/patching.

Intoxicate

Dude you are literally saying what i was saying.

You can't judge other games less fun just because you think they are less fun.

People loved killing dudes in violent ways in manhunt, was it less fun because it's not a nintendo game?? Fuck no.

Everyone has different meanings of fun, i got extremely bored of killing retarded samey enemies with a shitty design in zelda botw but i loved fighting dinobors in horizon, the supposedly serious game...

This narrative is bullshit, even semi-realistic stealth and shooting in tlou2 can be as fun as buying a fucking house in animal crossing or collecting stars in mario, it's all subjective.

Some people love cg pixar movies and some people love gory horror, it's called having different tastes.

Maybe they focus on wrong things for your taste, not for everyone taste.

When I say the same why do you disagree and quote my post to complain about a narrative which I haven't used. Then stop quoting me.
I never said Nintendo is the only company that does fun games. And I never said that Nintendo delivers only fun games.

McHuj

I have a Switch and I like the Switch, or maybe I like the concept of the Switch. But I don't really play anything on the Switch. I enjoy Nintendo games, but any third party multiplatform games, I'll play on my PC or PS4. This years output for Nintendo has been very rough.

The Nintendo DS was one of my favorite and most played devices, I had hoped the Switch would have replicated that, but it has not yet.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm the exact opposite, I feel like I should turn myself in to the police and become a registered sex offender whenever I play a Nintendo game. My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony feels the same way.

Last edited:
I like that Nintendo just does what they want and that's it. Their products generally present a certain degree of quality that we don't see from other game companies (then I look at their mobile market hahaha).

Hudo

Got mine at the age of 40. Always been a computer guy before then (Amstrad CPC 464 -> Atari ST -> PC). Absolutely cracking little machine, and as others have said, only Nintendo does what Nintendo does, and they do it brilliantly. This little gadget never fails to put a smile on my face.
You're the first dude whom I have seen actively mentioning the CPC 464 as one of the computers he grew up with. Mad respect, man.

Top Bottom