• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GF wants to watch Star Wars, need help.

I'd suggest the most important thing is to reverse your roles. Imagine her showing you Downton Abby or whatever, and being a completely obsessive fan of the show. Telling you every last detail, and lots of stories about the making of the show that you're not even sure you like or care about yet. Would that help your enjoyment of the show?

You know that feeling when someone hypes something up and then it can't possibly match that hype? Don't do that to her. Let her form her own opinions. Don't put her through "han shot first," to the tenth power or whatever. Relax, and enjoy the movies. And when you ask her what she thought, try to listen a lot more than you talk.

Also, just watch Episodes IV, V, and VI. If she wants to see more than that, I'm sure she'll let you know. And if she's not into it after IV or V, you can just let it go there.

MisterHero

VHS Canon order

1997 Special Edition Original Trilogy
1999 The Phantom Menace
2002 Attack of the Clones
????? there isn't anymore star wars movies

live a happy, free life

brian0057

Banned
Star Wars viewing order:
  • The Phantom Menace.
  • Attack of the Clones.
  • The Clone Wars (Movie and show)
    • If you don't want to go through all six season, go with the Genndy Tartakovsky version from 2003.
  • Revenge of the Siths.
  • Rebels (OPTIONAL).
  • The Despecialized Edition of the Original Trilogy.
  • The Thrawn Trilogy (Books of Comics).

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Just do it by release date. That way she won't go into them being tarnished by the shit sequels, the mediocre prequels, the needless one off movies, and then finally getting to see the good ones. You give her a shit sandwich first she may not want to see what you have planned for dessert.

Original trilogy first and if she doesn't want to see more at least she will understand the bajillion of references to it everywhere.

She doesn't know ANYTHING about them, shit she didn't even know what a Lightsaber was before I show her mine.

All women say that, but trust me she has seen plenty of others.

A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Always start with those.

If she then decides she wants more, go ahead and throw on the prequels and watch her interest fade.

If she hasn't completely lost interest and is willing, fill in the gaps with the decent in-betweeners. Clone Wars series, Rogue One.

If she still wants more ask her to marry you, then watch Solo and Rebels.

If she's now a Star Wars fetishist and can only get off from watching new Star Wars things or having her bean flicked while you impersonate Yoda, you have the Ewok movies and the old cartoons.

Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure

Battle for Endor.

Both are abysmal, though I'd argue not a lot worse than Solo.

Ewoks

Droids, which had the best intro of anything. Ever.

If she still wants more, and I mean at this point I'm imagining she has a vibrator shaped like Vader's helmet, lusts after the neighbor's dog because it reminds her of a Wookie, and asks you to bulls-eye her Womprat with your T-16, you could watch Star Wars: Resistance and Episode 8 with her. That should cure her of her new obsession.

If not, there is always the Christmas special... though it may be too much.

Last edited:
I get why everyone would say release order but...like....story wise why would you start in the middle? Idk that's just my input
If you could magically rearrange every scene in GoT/Lost/Memento to play out chronologically would you suggest that's how it should be watched? You'd be spoiling some pretty major shit almost immediately, and narratively the stories wouldn't even make sense.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Best compromise would be to skip the movies, take her to the bedroom and force choke her during sex.

Shelbutt

If you could magically rearrange every scene in GoT/Lost/Memento to play out chronologically would you suggest that's how it should be watched? You'd be spoiling some pretty major shit almost immediately, and narratively the stories wouldn't even make sense.
Yeah true. To be honest I haven’t seen any of them in over 8 years so I was just saying what I did.

Skyfox

Women like 7 and 8 and 4 is too boring to start with. Trust your own instincts and start with Empire.

This order allows you to get out safely if she starts to hate the series. It keeps most order of events but keeps the worst movies for last.

Top Bottom