• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio 05/01/2007

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/CGW/050107.mp3

GFW Radio - Podcast - 05/01/2007
The GFW crew buckle down to business with actual discussion of PC games, including Team Fortress 2, Vanguard, and LOTR Online, but don't let that scare you off! Lowbrow hijinks abound, random and unnecessary tangents are taken and abandoned, and Whiskey Nerd returns once again with an audition tape for the next Radiohead CD. All this plus a special message for the fat jerk of a boss of one of our loyal listeners.

Looking forward to the MMO discussion. Jeff seemed pretty into his LotRO hobbit and there was some minor Vanguard drama a couple weeks back stemming from a bitter fan community and their zealous niche getting into arms about the low review score. Both items potentially good for podcast dialouge.

:D :D :D
Awesome, I'm in the middle of packing up since I'm moving tomorrow, this will make that process so much more enjoyable.

The IR and TF2 sections have been real good. The LotRO piece was a little lacking though. Just quick impressions broken up by joking around and roleplayer hate. Jeff should give it a try. It's just another form of immersion (which most everyone values) once you get over the awkwardness of seeing the characters as geeks pretending to be elves instead of elves. Just look at them as realistic NPCs. Dehumanizing the community can actually help immersion oddly (yet not so much) enough.

BOTARDS!!

:lol :lol

LI FTW.

Man, I have no interest in PC gaming but I loves this podcast. Maybe I should get Boot Camp on my MBP.

Is that unprecendented? A podcast being an entire platform's killer app?

:lol

adg1034

That intro really spoke to my current state of life. Shawn, it's like you can see into the darkest taco-stains of my soul.

oh god i didn't mean any of it don't use this next episode

By the way, the Vanguard piece that Jeff refered to is here:

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=8569

Any bitter ex-Vanguard hopefuls like the inclusion of this passage:

plus the first expansion (which is looking like first quarter 200, one that would add RTS style city building, ship to ship combat, jousting, and a second ‘half' of the Kojanese Archipelago that makes ship travel meaningful - and by meaningful I mean not tedious, rewarding exploration, with lots of new areas (both in the existing world and in the extension of the archipelago). And I'm talking about some re-use of existing art, combined with new art that fits into the existing continents, and then finally some all out new stuff - different styles of terrain (islands) and ocean to look at while making your journey to found a new player city while constantly being attacked by exotic sea creatures, leviathans, and other traditional members of fantasy and crypto-zoology. Not to mention pirates with canons, or other players and their ships on the PvP servers.

I mean, come now, Brad. Perhaps you should worry about delivering your promises of comraderie-laden caravans crossing mighting deserts on epic week-long treks in your original game before you start trying to tempt folks with what you want next. I admire your passion and trust me, I want it as much as the next hardcore RPG fan, but realize that once you've failed to deliver once, you should be more walk less talk the 2nd time around.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
The IR and TF2 sections have been real good. The LotRO piece was a little lacking though. Just quick impressions broken up by joking around and roleplayer hate. Jeff should give it a try. It's just another form of immersion (which most everyone values) once you get over the awkwardness of seeing the characters as geeks pretending to be elves instead of elves. Just look at them as realistic NPCs. Dehumanizing the community can actually help immersion oddly (yet not so much) enough.

Yeah, I come across pretty harsh in that piece. I guess I can be kind of an asstard. :)
Actually I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. Beyond just playing it for "work", I'm now finding myself logging in to it instead of WoW for now. We'll see how long it lasts, but this is a pretty fantastic launch on Turbine's part. I just gotta learn to hate the players less. :D

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
JeffGreen said:
Yeah, I come across pretty harsh in that piece. I guess I can be kind of an asstard. :)
Actually I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. Beyond just playing it for "work", I'm now finding myself logging in to it instead of WoW for now. We'll see how long it lasts, but this is a pretty fantastic launch on Turbine's part. I just gotta learn to hate the players less. :D

hate...less? You're not Jeff, not Jeff at all.

Good show this week.
I made one of my friends listen to the intro to last weeks on youtube and he ****ing cracked up, started spamming it to everyone on our Vent server.

derder

So Shawn Elliot says hes coming to 1up yours this week (during the team fortress 2 bit). Does this mean hes Luke's permanent replacement?

JeffGreen said:
Actually I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. Beyond just playing it for "work", I'm now finding myself logging in to it instead of WoW for now. We'll see how long it lasts, but this is a pretty fantastic launch on Turbine's part.
Yeah it's been quite nice for a lot of folks I think. Earlier I actually cited what you said in regards to that in a topic on the official boards since it was recent; a big reason why the game is so satisfying is because folks are going in without expectations. No hype on par with WoW or dreamy promises akin to Vanguard; the game flew under the radar--even was looked down upon a bit because of the perceivably drawn out development because of the whole Middle-Earth Online to LOTR Online event--and then out of nowhere a lot of folks just started giving it a try in open beta and the subtle yet genuine feedback started from there.

Few folks are going into it with high hopes or expectations to make it their end-game for the next fifteen years. They're just figuring, what the hell, I'll give it a shot and see where it goes. If it ends after a month, oh well; you likely got more of your money's worth than the typical single-player game anyhow.

JeffGreen said:
No, it doesn't.
you're not considering taking them up on--going on there yourself, right? seem to remember them tossing your name around while talking about the 'replacement for luke' stuff. 1upyours. pfff. come on... seriously, **** those guys!

JeffGreen

you're not considering taking them up on--going on there yourself, right? seem to remember them tossing your name around while talking about the 'replacement for luke' stuff. 1upyours. pfff. come on... seriously, **** those guys!

Well, no one has said a thing to me, first of all. And I've never even guested on there, except for once a LONG time ago before there was a regular cast. And I'm already on 2 podcasts as it is. That's more than enough me for anyone, including myself.

(And really, my console input would be minimal. I'd be sitting there pickin' my nose while Shane, Garnett and John were yammering about Calling All Cars or whatever. Not that I don't like getting paid to sit in a room and pick my nose. But still.)

Mooreberg

"The shiny Call of Duty commercial or the shit I saw on my TV?" :lol

He should be a radio station character in GTA IV.

How apt! Just weeks after Shawn Elliot mocked a Neogaf Wii fanboy for trumpeting the gaming equivalent of comic book cross-promotional garbage (OMG guys, Batman VS Superman, how can this not be the ultimate product?!) that is the Sonic and Mario Olympics game, we have people asking if Shawn and Jeff will feature permanently on 1up Yours.

Given the right misleading tidbits, I think we could be a page away from things like this:

Hyperventilating podcast addict said:
I just got done listening and I hate this podcast!!1 I speculate that Ziff will be forced to consolidate their podcast talents into one mega podcast (like Johto-Robo-X Evo 4 second form, only cooler), and the dream team of Seanbaby, John Davison, Mark MacDonald, Shawn Elliot, Stephen Colbert, Sushi X and Luke Smith (he would come out of retirement of course) will be the best podcast ever, if they can just talk about every Wii release. Come on you guys, you are this close to not sucking completely. I love this podcast thanks bye.

Rlan

derder said:
So Shawn Elliot says hes coming to 1up yours this week (during the team fortress 2 bit). Does this mean hes Luke's permanent replacement?

He said the 1up show, not 1up yours, so we'll be seeing some new TF2 footage on the video show at some point. Actually, I don't think it's this week anyhow, as it'll be a "Not the 1up show" segment [Broken Pixels]. Maybe it'll pop up 5/11 since that's the "Summer Season Premiere".

JeffGreen said:
(And really, my console input would be minimal. I'd be sitting there pickin' my nose while Shane, Garnett and John were yammering about Calling All Cars or whatever. Not that I don't like getting paid to sit in a room and pick my nose. But still.)

Do you GFW guys kind of feel outcasted within the 1up network? Besides the occasional 1up show segment you always sound split away from game videos, 1up and the EGM groups. Despite Garnett, Sharkie, Mielke, Jeremy + all the WoW guys constantly playing PC games, you never hear about them discussing the game with the GFW group.

Just throwing that out there, you probably can't answer it anyhow :p

I've had interest in TF2 ever since I saw the first footage, and it sounds like a lot of fun. I'm just afraid I'm going to be lost within the games structure. I played a little bit of Team Fortress Classic when I bought the HL1 pack on Steam, and I had no idea on what the hell was going on. Plus the game is ugly as sin nowdays.

Was the TF2 playtest just TF, or was there some game time with Episode 2 too? I played HL2: E1 after hearing Garnett talk about it [and getting a decent computer], then played HL2, then played a bit of HL1. I'm looking forward to seeing some light on Episode 2 soon.

JeffGreen

Nah, we don't feel outcasted. :) We're all friends here and sit dangerously close to each other all day long. We sort of enjoy just having our own little fiefdom here. It keeps us under the radar and thus able to have longer lunches with no one noticing. And we've been talking to the 1UP Show kids about maybe a couple of us other than Shawn representing. The problem is that we all basically have faces made for radio.

Rlan

derder said:
Do you honestly think people visiting this message board would be ones to judge?:lol

Forumers would be uglier, but that doesn't mean they won't judge :lol

Why are people talking to this junior? Come on GAF, double standards!

Can't wait to listen to this tomorrow. GFW has became this console-only gamers most unusually loved podcast.

Akia

Wow, the intro was completely different then last weeks. I wasn't digging it in the beginning (couldn't understand the crazy robot), but towards the end the hype overcame me. The podcast discussion was great.

Some constructive criticism
It always seems like you guys have trouble remembering all the details of your visit to different devs houses when it comes time to discuss it on the podcast. Maybe you guys should record some audio right after you come back and then replay it before the podcast for a quick reminder. Or better yet, just cut it into the podcast as it is. I feel like we're missing out on something. I know most of the good stuff is in the magazine.

FartOfWar

Banned
**** it, I'll never make another one, never use a voice other than my own.

For real, though, at least with the intro skits you can pretty easily skip past and to Jeff's "Hello and Welcome."

*Hey, I removed the quote, didn't catch your edit. : )

Don't you DARE make me into "the enemy".

Hell, I edited it out SIX MINUTES after I posted it.

Edit: And now my post seems overreactive because he did a quick edit, which GAF doesn't mark:

GFWShawnEdit-NeverMake.gif

Wonderful. Pulling my neck out of this topic...

FartOfWar

Banned
Kulock said:
Don't you DARE make me into "the enemy".

Hell, I edited it out SIX MINUTES after I posted it.

I was joking (and refering to something later in this very episode). I've got a thicker skin than that and I think my humor works in the skits because it's so unconcerned with delivering what I think people want. It's made to make me laugh, and if it passes that test, I'm sure someone else will smile, too.

FartOfWar said:
**** it, I'll never make another one, never use a voice other than my own.

For real, though, at least with the intro skits you can pretty easily skip past and to Jeff's "Hello and Welcome."
Don't listen to the bullshit, you have a talent, it's all in good fun and it's funny as hell. I can tell you personally that the skit from last week got you at least three new listeners.

Top Bottom