• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL marketplace purchases ending Aug 22, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's happening.

JJcrn6C.gif

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
itshappening.gif

Also those who have non-Steam GFWL games and didn't get the DLC before then will be screwed out of it.
Time to get all those SSFIVAE costumes people!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder how many games will only be playable with pirated versions way down the line when they take the authentication servers offline? I wish all developers who are in a position to do so will remove the authentication from their games now.

Will no longer be digitally purchasable as of Aug 22; possibly available at retail
AFL Live
Battle vs. Chess - Not purchasable on Steam, Publisher is essentially defunct
CarneyVale: Showtime - Independent title
Crash Time 4: The Syndicate - Other series installments are on Steam
Game Room - Many constituent titles are available sans-GFWL
Gears of War for Windows
Halo 2 for Windows Vista
Hour of Victory
Quantum of Solace - Game no longer for sale on Steam
Shadowrun - Servers are no longer running for this, right?
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Mahjong Wisdom -- MS has a free Mahjong game on W8, "replacement"?
Rugby League Live
Tinker - Free, download right now if you ever want to play
Tron: Evolution
Vancouver 2010
Viva Piñata for Windows
Where’s Waldo? The Fantastic Journey

Purchasable on Steam, but requires GFWL for activation, so will die if GFWL dies and are not patched
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon – Enhanced Edition
Blacklight: Tango Down - Game has been replaced by sequel, which is F2P, on Steam, and not GFWL. But original game is still for sale on Steam, but requires GFWL to activate.
Bulletstorm
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
DiRT 2 - Most recent sequel is available sans-GFWL
Dirt 3 - Most recent sequel is available sans-GFWL
F1 2010
F1 2011
Fable III
Fallout 3 - Sequel doesn't use GFWL; apparently playable offline, without online activation, so might still work in the event of total GFWL shutdown
FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage - Sequel doesn't use GFWL
FUEL - Also uses SecuRom, fuck these guys
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Iron Brigade
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - Sequel doesn't use GFWL
Lost Planet 2 - Sequel doesn't use GFWL
Microsoft Flight - F2P
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - Subsequent PC port doesn't use GFWL
Ms. Splosion Man
Operation Flashpoint: Red River - Sequel doesn't use GFWL
Red Faction: Guerrilla - Sequel doesn't use GFWL, publisher dead, new IP owner probably isn't going to patch
Resident Evil 5 - Sequel doesn't use GFWL
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Section 8 - Not sure if it uses GFWL on Steam, Enhanced Steam doesn't say anything, sequel uses GFWL
Section 8: Prejudice
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes - Publisher no longer exists
Street Fighter IV - Replaced by upcoming Ultimate SF4, which does not use GFWL
Street Fighter X Tekken - DLC is on Steam, but presumably requires GFWL for activation
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition - Replaced by upcoming Ultimate SF4, which does not use GFWL
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Virtua Tennis 4

??? -- Anyone want to clarify? I think most of these are in the category above, but some might not be
Stormrise - Not sure if it uses GFWL on Steam, Enhanced Steam doesn't say anything.
The Club - Servers are down, but Enhanced Steam doesn't mention anything about GFWL on Steam version
Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - ??? Publisher no longer exists, Enhanced Steam doesn't mention anything about GFWL on Steam version
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II + Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising -- these are some kind of cluster-fuck, someone who knows better than me should explain the DRM situation

Safe!
Age of Empires Online - Sans-GFWL version exists on Steam today.
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Being updated
Batman: Arkham City - Being updated
Battlestations: Pacific - Sans-GFWL version exists on Steam today
BioShock 2 - Being updated
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger -- Ported to W8 sans-GFWL but not on Steam
Dark Void
Gotham City Impostors -- Patched
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - Patching out soon
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - GFWL version is separate from Steam version ("Colonies edition")
Osmos - Separate Steam version
Toy Soldiers - Patched
World of Goo - Steam version has no GFWL

Grief.exe

Nabs

Isn't that mostly on Bioware using Sheppard points?

I have yet to buy DLC for any of those games.

Same and this won't change any time soon. That backwards ass system needs to go.

I wonder if Codemasters will do anything about the Dirt 3 DLC.

merrick97

Banned
I liked getting achievement points using GFWL.

Hopefully, they will make more PC games that allow achievements, but in a non-obtrusive way.

fantomena

Holtman: Kill GFWL client and release all games on Steam.

It is only the store right? I still can activate games trough GFWL service?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I might have to break my no-GFWLM rule for Gears of War. There's retail copies on Amazon but they're upwards of $40, and more importantly, ew @ PC games on a disc. For the greater good Microsauce should allow GoW and Viva Pinata to be sold digitally elsewhere.

Grief.exe

I might have to break my no-GFWLM rule for Gears of War. There's retail copies on Amazon but they're upwards of $40, and more importantly, ew @ PC games on a disc. For the greater good Microsauce should allowed GoW and Viva Pinata to be sold digitally elsewhere.

Hopefully we see Steam versions of those games, along with the Halo Trilogy release.

GFWL could have been something cool, but the way it ended up it deserves to die.

I don't see how it ever could have been something cool. They were trying to charge for multiplayer on day one.

AHA-Lambda

Safe!
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
Toy Soldiers - Patched

Why is dark souls safe? Doesn't that need gfwl, plus there is the servers too?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why is dark souls safe? Doesn't that need gfwl, plus there is the servers too?

Mis-copy on my part when I went through the game list.

I'm going to check the marketplace for non-GFWL games that are sold on the marketplace and not Steam. I think there's a few low-end casual/indie titles that fit that bill.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thank goodness. MSFT just needs to leave the PC gaming scene to Steam and other far more competent entities.

Struct09

I don't see how it ever could have been something cool. They were trying to charge for multiplayer on day one.

Having an online presence with my Xbox 360 friends and earning achievements was pretty cool. Charging for multiplayer was a problem, but they backed off of that pretty quickly. Had they just tied their games into your LIVE account in a seamless (and perhaps optional) way it could have added something to the games, instead of making them into the mess they are today.

DieH@rd

Banned
Safe!
Toy Soldiers - Patched

B:AC was never digitally released in Euro2 zone on Steam, hopefully after conversion to Steamworks it will become available.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
@Stump: WH40K DoW2 is both GFWL and Steamworks (yeah...), LP1 is GFWL through and through (the Colonies Edition has cross-plaform play even)

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Having an online presence with my Xbox 360 friends and earning achievements was pretty cool. Charging for multiplayer was a problem, but they backed off of that pretty quickly. Had they just tied their games into your LIVE account in a seamless (and perhaps optional) way it could have added something to the games, instead of making them into the mess they are today.

They didn't on all of them. Some of the Flatout games required gold to play online still even after MS backed off that. So yea it wasn't completely done away with because some publishers still decided to enforce it even after that.

topplehat

I was one of the ones who never had a problem with it. I liked the cohesiveness with the 360 friends list and achievements. Didn't really use it for much else.

Xanonano

Some clarifications for the list:
Will no longer be digitally purchasable as of Aug 22; possibly available at retail
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger A retail version was released, but only in Europe.

Purchasable on Steam, but requires GFWL for activation, so will die if GFWL dies and are not patched
Apart from Bulletstorm, Flight and Age of Empires, all these games will still work in single player if you create a local account. Bulletstorm is the only non-F2P game that will be completely unplayable if the servers shut down (unless you activated it already)

??? -- Anyone want to clarify? I think most of these are in the category above, but some might not be
Dark Void - Enhanced Steam isn't saying GFWL on Steam, so may have been patched? The Steam and retail versions were released before the GFWL version, so they didn't use it.
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition - LP3 doesn't use GFWL, LP2 does, Enhanced Steam doesn't mention anything about LP1 on Steam There are two versions of Lost Planet 1. The original version used Steam for multiplayer, and the Colonies Edition used GFWL. Both are available on Steam.

larvi

I'm assuming we will still be able to log in to gfwl and earn achievements for those games we already own, right?

Grief.exe

I was one of the ones who never had a problem with it. I liked the cohesiveness with the 360 friends list and achievements. Didn't really use it for much else.

Its cool to be able to check in on your 360 friends, but it really fucked over PC gamers and consumers on the whole.

If you lived in certain regions, you couldn't even purchase games, there was a good chance your purchased game would just flat out not work, and so many more problems.

I'm assuming we will still be able to log in to gfwl and earn achievements for those games we already own, right?

Yes.

X05

There is actually two versions of LP1

One is Steamworks, and the other is GFWL.
I thought the Colonies Edition had replaced the original one. My bad.

Then only the Colonies Edition is GFWL.

kuYuri

Dark Void - Enhanced Steam isn't saying GFWL on Steam, so may have been patched?
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition - LP3 doesn't use GFWL, LP2 does, Enhanced Steam doesn't mention anything about LP1 on Steam
Section 8 - Not sure if it uses GFWL on Steam, Enhanced Steam doesn't say anything, sequel uses GFWL

Dark Void - Games on Demand version is only version of Dark Void that uses GFWL, all other versions (retail, non-GoD digital versions) do not use GFWL.
Lost Planet/Lost Planet Colonies - Vanilla LP keys can apparently be added on Steam and do not use GFWL, Lost Planet Colonies contains GFWL since it's cross-platform multiplayer with 360.
Section 8 - Pretty sure this uses GFWL.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This all seems like such a mess. I suppose at least they're not telling people that their purchases are gone outright.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks for the clarifications to the earlier list, I'll edit stuff in.

Non-GFWL games that do not appear to exist digitally on Steam or Amazon or GameStop
A Vampyre Story - not on Steam, retail-only on Amazon - Available on GamersGate
Cubis Gold - Cubis Gold 2 is on Amazon, but not the original - On a bunch of Yahoo free games portals, and Cubis Gold 2 is on Amazon for DD
Flight Simulator X - Amazon, retail-only, no digital
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Amazon has it retail-only, no other digital outlets I can find
Zoo Tycoon 2 - Retail-only on Amazon

This may be your last chance to buy these games digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom