• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghibli production department facing shutdown, will take a break and consider future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's so sad that Yoshifumi Kondou met an early death. People talk about how Yonebayashi could take the reins, and in fairness I have yet to see Marnie, but to me Arrietty has nothing on Whisper of the Heart - Arrietty just lacks that something special that great Ghibli films are made of. WotH, on the other hand, is my favourite slice-of-life Ghibli film by far. The rest I found boring.

ghiblionlyanamee3fev.png

This is depressing, really.

Meanwhile a Kantai Collection is allowed to exist.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm not gunna lie I'm sort of tired of CG films even pixar is sort of losing its charm as of late.

Yeah. I saw Frozen later then everyone else. Going from Frozen to the Wind Rises in the same week was an eye opener for me. I really do think Ghiblis style is superior, and it depresses me to no end to see such a drastic shift to CGI. I have no issue with CGI, it can be beautiful. But I really wish it wasn't the dominant style. :/

It's so sad that Yoshifumi Kondou met an early death. People talk about how Yonebayashi could take the reins, and in fairness I have yet to see Marnie, but to me Arrietty has nothing on Whisper of the Heart - Arrietty just lacks that something special that great Ghibli films are made of. WotH, on the other hand, is my favourite slice-of-life Ghibli film by far. The rest I found boring.

yes. I am basing my Yonebayashi comments on marnie only. I agree that Arrietty was weak in comparison to many of the great Miyazaki classics.

Marnie though may be up there with Howl, Mononoke, Nausicaa, Laputa and Sen to chihiro.

gugi40

I'm not gunna lie I'm sort of tired of CG films even pixar is sort of losing its charm as of late.

I have been tired of CG films for a long time, I still enjoy them but they don't have the same effect on me as traditional 2D animation does.

Yeah. I saw Frozen later then everyone else. Going from Frozen to the Wind Rises in the same week was an eye opener for me. I really do think Ghiblis style is superior, and it depresses me to no end to see such a drastic shift to CGI. I have no issue with CGI, it can be beautiful. But I really wish it wasn't the dominant style. :/

those are different films.

Wind Rises obviously has much more details and you can really see the love and labour put into each screen.

with frozen however you have a better marketable (and less controversial) story and characters and an arguably better soundtrack.

Wind Rises isnt a right wing war anime however I think miyazaki was naive to think that people wouldnt criticize the movie to the ground for the subject it covers.
I have been tired of CG films for a long time, I still enjoy them but they don't have the same effect on me as traditional 2D animation does.
its also amazing how fast CG films age. A bugs life or toy story nowadays looks horribad. Nausicaa which is about 10 years older still look great.

Enco

That's a shame. Spirited Away is one of the best movies I've seen.

Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle

Those are the 3 films I've seen. What else do you guys recommend?

When I heard Poppy, Wind, Kaguya and Marnie were all flopping, I was starting to wonder if this would happen.

The good news is that the company isn't being simply wrapped up, it's just going to a state of hypersleep I guess? The rest of the world has yet to get Kuguya and Marnie, so Ghibli will have some cashflow from the cinema and home video releases of those (not to mention all the other Ghibli films)

But yeah, Ghibi also has the problem that...2D animation is a quickly shrinking field in general. While I'm sure they have some young blood (Ocean Waves was done entirely by their at-the-time rookie team as I recall?) - there's less and less people who study traditional animation or are even up to the level Ghibli would be looking for.

I really liked Poppy Hill (and it felt like a triumph for Goro Miyazaki after the whole mess with Earthsea) and while Wind wasn't quite up my alley, it is an emotional tour de force. If Marnie is the endgame. I think...that's kind of okay? It's sad, but at the same time, Ghibli lived up to it's full potential in a number of ways. If they haven't the talent or confidence in whatever was proposed prior to this, better to pass up till a new passionate lot comes in.

There will be other people who will use the medium to do amazing things, this isn't the end

ЯAW

Banned

Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle

Just watch them all, there aren't all that many Ghibli movies to begin with.

Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle

Nausicaa and Mononoke Hime immediately come to mind
ЯAW;123850061 said:
Just watch them all, there aren't all that many Ghibli movies to begin with.

20 movies... thats quite a number

Persona7

Banned

Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle

kiki's delivery service and my neighbor totoro

Instro

Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle

Pretty much any of them outside of Ponyo, Poppy Hill and one or 2 others. I can't speak for any of the last 3 Ghbili films as I have yet to see them.

Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle

All of them are pretty good in their own way (bar Earthsea, which was an absolute mess and turned out incredibly mediocre) but the must-see's for me;

Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Delivery Service
Naussicca (it's a bit mary sue storywise, but man it's pretty!)
Whisper of the Heart
My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo

All of them are pretty good in their own way (bar Earthsea, which was an absolute mess and turned out incredibly mediocre) but the must-see's for me;

Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Delivery Service
Naussicca (it's a bit mary sue storywise, but man it's pretty!)
Whisper of the Heart
My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo
yah gedo senki (earthsea) can be ignored easily.
ЯAW;123850586 said:
Yup, but $117M is low for Hayao considering last three movies made +$200M.

yes but is still one of the highest grossing japan produced film of all times.

/XX/

Everyone in the -production- department has probably been let go based on what he said. But that's different from the -animation- department. The production unit would include staff who manage active projects like associate producers, planners, production runners, project managers, copy writers, etc. It is not clear to me from what Suzuki said that the animation department has been shut down at all. Ghibli does contribute inbetween animation and assistance with both TV and other film projects from time to time when they have the resources to spare, so they could continue doing that while there's nothing being produced at Ghibli. The details aren't clear.
I don't think anything has changed since Mr. Suzuki commented those plans in early-July, and at that time he just mentioned changes that imply different methods of production for the future but not ceasing at it.

Also, Mr. Takahata hasn't said anything about a retirement recently, only about how it all depended on the willingness of the studio to entrust him another work... we can't count him out yet!

ЯAW

Banned

yes but is still one of the highest grossing japan produced film of all times.
That's true, no questions there, but Ghibli probably was counting on the film making more. Or maybe not since the subject of the movie was heavy.

It's sad news, but not so much. The studio has not been making the memorable films that it used to make. The tradition of excellent hand-drawn japanese films lives on with Hosoda. Wolf Children is the best animated film since Spirited Away, and a good way to pass the torch.

Edit:

Except it's soundtrack. It's best one of all Ghibli films.

I don't think anything has changed since Mr. Suzuki commented those plans in early-July, and at that time he just mentioned changes that imply different methods of production for the future but not ceasing at it.

Also, Mr. Takahata hasn't said anything about a retirement recently, only about how it all depended on the willingness of the studio to entrust him another work... we can't count him out yet!

kaguya hime was the first movie from takahata since the yamadas (1999). pompoko which is the movie before that (and one of my favorites is from 1994)
ЯAW;123850943 said:
That's true, no questions there, but Ghibli probably was counting on the film making more. Or maybe not since the subject of the movie was heavy.

they would be stupid to think that the movie has mass media appeal. The controversy around WW2 probably did help the film a bit but overall its a theme that is not really suited for kids (which is still the main target for anime).

solomon

Only thing I did wish Ghibli had done before closing albeit be temporary was one more mononoke like film where they weren't afraid to be a little more violent.

Spinluck

Fuck, to me, Ghibli was the last truly great animation studio out there, end of an era for sure. Traditional animation is as good as done outside of television and direct-to-video. :'(

Also, obligatory from the documentary on Ghibli:

miyazaki1guacu.jpg

miyazaki23eyfw.jpg

miyazaki3tizlu.jpg

miyazaki4tpz88.jpg

miyazaki5i2xnm.jpg

miyazaki68pbrz.jpg

What the hell?

Why is this so sad and incredibly badass at the same time.

Only thing I did wish Ghibli had done before closing albeit be temporary was one more mononoke like film where they weren't afraid to be a little more violent.

while wind rises doesnt explicitely shows it that much the death toll that is hinted at in that movie is much higher than any ghibli film to date (duh...)

that said i think it was a good decision not to explicitely show too much battles in that film as it was about a person who worked on the "homefront" if you will.

Aurongel

They were really the last bastion for animation of that type and it's heartbreaking to hear this news.

Their work looks like paintings given life.

jerry1594

Oh well. I loved all their movies save for arrietty which I thought was good. Haven't seen any of the ones after that or a couple of the older ones.

So sad :(

I hope they do find a new inspiration, hibernation may be better than trying to survive on flops. I hope the hibernation isn't to tough.

Been over a decade since I really enjoyed something from them.
Their legacy is going no where, but at least there's now less chance of more stuff like Ponyo getting made.

Vito

Banned
Yep. "Even" english sites would report it. But I find nothing but this one blog.

What English sites? The only two major ones are Crunchyroll and Anime News Network. Scott Green probably can't find the news unless it's handed to him translated on a silver platter. ANN is probably busy mulling over whether or not to pretend to be journalist and find more facts than screenshots and tweets... or missed it. They aren't all that good at finding news on their own, it was on yaraon though... As for Spanish sites, 2 are parroting Koi-nya, who are copy pasting a Japanese blog? If non-JP sites report it, doesn't make it more/less true, none are particularly good.

sub_o

This is so sad. I'm gonna start crying again.

My top 3 fave Ghibli movies are:
  • Kiki's Delivery Service. It's a story about coming of age for a young little witch. She traveled to a new town, learn new things, make friends with the friendly townsfolk. There's no real antagonist in the whole movie, and everyone is friendly. Such a warm and heartfelt movie, that I watch it again almost every year.
  • The Wind Rises. It's about a guy who poured his everything into what he loves, plane and his wife. Jiro's obsession to creating a plane while standing against flow of time, is almost like Miyazaki's obsession in creating his works while other animations becoming more and more cookie cutter, more and more computerised. It's almost like Miyazaki and Hirokoshi Jiro are telling us, not to be afraid of going against the flow, pour everything into what you love.
  • Only Yesterday. It's just about an adult woman reminiscing her past, and learning how to be true to her self. Such a simple and mundane movie, but it feels closer than anything else.
I'm going to cry for awhile while listening to Yumi Arai's Hikoukigumo
I hope that one day I could draw as good as Miyazaki, but for now, I'll keep practicing.

Good bye Studio Ghibli, you were amazing.

The-Wind-Rises-e1378996468964.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom