• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghibli production department facing shutdown, will take a break and consider future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peff

There were rumours about it when Marnie flopped, but it looks like it's happening for real. Sad news, but in the end it's best to quit while you're (mostly) ahead.

Mod abuse by request:

The program in question was discussing the near future of Ghibli with Suzuki. As such they not actually shut production down entirely, but it's something that is being considered as a serious option when they move forward with restructuring.

Suzuki was on Jounetsu Tairiku today. It's a documentary program on TBS/MBS where they feature various entertainment personalities. He declared that since Miyazaki has really retired, they're shutting down the production department.

This isn't really that shocking or anything though. I guess it seems like huge news to people who don't follow the industry at all and only pay attention to a Ghibli film once every one or two years. Like I mentioned before in the previous thread about the rumor - Goro Miyazaki is currently directing a CG TV series at Polygon Pictures which will start broadcast in October. This means he isn't able to direct anything in the next year or so. The latest Ghibli film didn't do well at the box office at all, and that probably made them rethink giving Yonebayashi another film immediately. Miyazaki has retired. Takahata is probably not making another film again. So who's left?

Ghibli doesn't have much directing talent because they chase good talent away with their studio culture, and very few end up rising through the ranks. If they have no immediate film to produce next, shutting down the production department makes sense. Could Ghibli never make another film again? Sure. Could they reopen the production department when they eventually decide to start making another film in a year or two? Also a possibility.

It's not as simple as "OMG Ghibli is dead!" because unlike other animation studios in Japan, Ghibli only makes feature films. So what this means in the immediate future is that they are not going to be in active production for a feature film, which is already sort of assumed based on recent events. What happens after that remains to be seen.

Peru

There were rumours about it when Marnie flopped, but it looks like it's happening for real. Sad news, but in the end it's best to quit while you're (mostly) ahead.

Well no, not when you provide the type of films that will be totally gone when you close down. I'm still kinda baffled a solid culture, not to mention solid cash, is not left behind after so many years producing classics, a culture of filmmaking that would secure decades more of new classics and new great filmmakers.

.la1n

Brought some of my favorite animated films of all time, sad to see them go. Last few years it's become increasingly apparent that Miyazaki was the studio and when he left that would be that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RIP anime.

Save us Hosoda!

Jex

Well it really feels like this has been a long time coming. Still, this is pretty crushing news.

Shantom

Damn. Hopefully I'll be able to see their last couple of films in the cinema.
I guess this means I'm not getting my Porco Rosso sequel :(

GCX

Ghibli was founded so that Miyazaki and Takahata could make any kind of movies they'd like. In that respect it has run its course since both of them are now retired.

Thank you for all the great movies.

TEJ

I'm not a big fan of ghibli but I adore hand drawn animation and have a lot of respect for how they kept at it.

This is terrible news.

Instro

Fuck I'm so sad right now, way to ruin my day. At least they stop before making bad movies.

No they didn't lol.

Anyway hopefully all the people there land on their feet or reform into a new studio, still tons of talent even without Miyazaki and Takahata.

Garjon

Horrible news.

That said, there is a lot of talent there; I am sure they will go on to make better things in the future.

mreddie

tumblr_n3fv02vR181sujz4so4_250.gif

tumblr_mhougvcNvx1rr56cmo1_500.gif

tumblr_mhxaaupVjI1qccuulo1_500.gif

tumblr_mhougvcNvx1rr56cmo2_500.gif

Eh it's a shame and all, but their last batch of movies have made me fall asleep out of boredom, or simply were not nearly as good as their earlier stuff. Better quit now I guess.

I'm going to have Tippi Hedren's head for this!

Rest in legacy, Ghibli. My father saw the limited run of Laputa back in the '80s, he will remember. Best thing that could happen is the staff largely migrates to Telecom.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
So sitting in a packed theater while the credits to the wind rises rolled was the special moment I thought it was.

Damn. Not a single person said a word or got up until the credits were completely over.

What a legendary studio.

Amir0x

Banned
not much left i am interested in from that territory, with Satoshi Kon gone and Studio Ghibli shutting down, feels like the end of an entire era for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom