• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghibli production department facing shutdown, will take a break and consider future

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxgame

but... the link you provided doesn't seem to say what OP is suggesting, unless I'm missing something. Isn't it saying that they're going to take a break ?

Draconian

Sad, sad news. Hopefully it's a break and not a full shut down.

On a sidenote, where's The Wind Rises blu-ray? I'm glad I saw it 6 months ago because I figured it'd be out now, but it hasn't even been announced for North America yet.

Disney should buy them so that I may have Sora, Goofy and Donald fighting Heartless on Howl's Moving Castle in Kingdom Hearts 4.65 Remix Triple Deluxe.

rip best japanimation studio

they should shut their doors and go out on top

the other employees can form a new company that will undoubtedly be worse

but at least it won't sully the ghibli name

He does say "take a small break" in the subtitles. I don't imagine Studio Ghibli will go away. It does look like they will shut down temporarily to evaluate how best to go forward without Miyazaki, though.

Yup, 小休止 "short break" and then "think how to move forward". There's nothing definitive in these statements.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Good. Go out while you still feel good about the experiences and the work you've done. So few artists know when to really quit and move on. Most of them stop or close when they've been milked dry by their constituents or fans and have been abandoned by the original creative teams to wither and die with their legacy burned by their future.

At least Ghibli is doing this of their own will and outlook.

Good for them. Godspeed.

I also hate when these sorts of images are all broken up...

ghiblionlyanamee3fev.png

Majine

Banned
Probably for the best. The talented people can go something under a different name and expectations. I'm sure it'll be great.

I'm really sad now... I just saw The Wind Rises like a month ago. I think its time to rewatch Howl's moving castle and some others again today :(

duckroll

This isn't really that shocking or anything though. I guess it seems like huge news to people who don't follow the industry at all and only pay attention to a Ghibli film once every one or two years. Like I mentioned before in the previous thread about the rumor - Goro Miyazaki is currently directing a CG TV series at Polygon Pictures which will start broadcast in October. This means he isn't able to direct anything in the next year or so. The latest Ghibli film didn't do well at the box office at all, and that probably made them rethink giving Yonebayashi another film immediately. Miyazaki has retired. Takahata is probably not making another film again. So who's left?

Ghibli doesn't have much directing talent because they chase good talent away with their studio culture, and very few end up rising through the ranks. If they have no immediate film to produce next, shutting down the production department makes sense. Could Ghibli never make another film again? Sure. Could they reopen the production department when they eventually decide to start making another film in a year or two? Also a possibility.

It's not as simple as "OMG Ghibli is dead!" because unlike other animation studios in Japan, Ghibli only makes feature films. So what this means in the immediate future is that they are not going to be in active production for a feature film, which is already sort of assumed based on recent events. What happens after that remains to be seen.

I can't find any other Japanese news source on this - you'd think this would be HUGE news.
Are the photos some kind of TV broadcast? A conference?

Yep. "Even" english sites would report it. But I find nothing but this one blog.

Suzuki was on Jounetsu Tairiku today. It's a documentary program on TBS/MBS where they feature various entertainment personalities. He declared that since Miyazaki has really retired, they're shutting down the production department. Pretty much every anime blog in Japan has something on it. If you're not seeing it, you're not reading the right places for news. :p

Peff

Yup, 小休止 "short break" and then "think how to move forward". There's nothing definitive in these statements.

but... the link you provided doesn't seem to say what OP is suggesting, unless I'm missing something. Isn't it saying that they're going to take a break ?

Yeah, but how likely is it that they're coming back from something like that, especially when they'd keep people employed with nothing on the pipeline? I read it as him sugarcoating it, but maybe a mod could make the title more neutral.

ЯAW;123844649 said:
Mamoru Hosoda seems to make quality movies. Production I.G has talent and if Ghibli's animation side is closing down then there will be new talent.

Yeah, I am always hoping for new blood and talent but still, Lots of memories with Studio Ghibli. It will be sad when they decide to shut down their animation side for sure.

ЯAW

Banned
not better then marnie though

no seriously. I like hosoda a lot but the level of detail found in any ghibli film is so much better its not even funny.

if anyone yonebayashi should be considered as the new Ghibli.
Only seen Arriety but there was nothing special director vise, imo. Without Ghibli art it would have been subpar film. I have heard good things about the new film tho. I don't doubt his talents but Mamoru Hosoda feels more original director.

While I've always been a huge Ghibli fan, to me this news is far less shocking than Miyazaki's retirement news last year.

That was the end of Ghibli for me. Even if the studio continued to operate for decades to come, it wouldn't be the same without Miyazaki and Takahata.

Yeah.

Miyazaki and Takahata really were the beating heart of Studio Ghibli.

I suppose it's fitting to shut it down now with their retirement...even if it's so incredibly sad to do so.

RIP Studio Ghibli

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Devastating news. Their films are masterworks of animation. I really didn't need a news like this. Dammit.

Personally, I think Studio 4c makes the most compelling, new anime.

Not on a Ghibli level that can be appreciated by all people. But all the doom and gloom about anime in unfounded.

Dat comment.

" He's an old man. He knows things. He knows things die. Like humans. This is what they do. This is what we all do.

Ghibli was a workshop shed he and his friends built to work out their dreams and passions, not to exist as a kind of corporate entity. Once the workers are gone, why should the shed stand? Like the workers, its existence accomplished things far greater than itself. Things that will never die because they're not made of bricks nor planks; they even transcend the cellulose acetate substrate on which they were drawn and are now part of humanity's collective imaginary.

Some may argue that the shed could be used by other people, new people. That it still has the ability to produce undying dreams. What of it? It was just a workshop created by just a group of men. If some other man or woman has a dream that needs to be brought into the world, they surely can build their own shed like those men did one day. "

tumblr_lqfo693Byv1qbmtjno1_500.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Watched a clip of the show and this report seems a bit blown out of proportion. They definitely don't seem to be shutting down. Just taking a break while they reevaluate how to move forward.

duckroll

Watched a clip of the show and this report seems a bit blown out of proportion. They definitely don't seem to be shutting down. Just taking a break while they reevaluate how to move forward.

Basically they have shut down their production department because they have nothing to make next. Suzuki says they will decide what's next after taking a break, but that's just him and the stakeholders, the employees have definitely been let go. Again, I explained this before that it's not really surprising because everyone who could direct another movie for Ghibli right now isn't in a position to. Business-wise it's a logical move and doesn't mean anything definite in future.

ЯAW

Banned
To be honest, I don't see what they can do. I mean with current ROI they have to very least cut production budgets of their movies and I'm not sure if that works for today's Ghibli.

Why would they do this? I was under the impression that the studio was highly successful and lucrative.

Just because Miyazaki is bowing out, doesn't mean they need to close up shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom