• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost-Age: What have you experienced that freaked you out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, due to it being October and Halloween is coming, I am bumping this thread to get us in the spirit of things. (pun intended)

We need to read more of these! If you have a story please share.

JimiNutz

Banned
When Gears of War first came out I had a couple of epic sessions several days in a row. I wasn't really sleeping very much, was surviving off nuts and water, and basically just playing Gears non stop for like 3 days.
Anyway eventually I decided that I'd killed enough Locusts, Sera was saved, and I decided to rest my eyes. I crawled into bed and was just drifting off to sleep when my whole body started vibrating. My bed was shaking like crazy and it felt like I was about to be sucked up through the ceiling. In my half sleeping state I tried to hang onto the bed but it felt like that was being sucked up into the air as well. I could also hear this strange whispering as well as a lot of buzzing and scratching in my ears.
All the while though I was pretty chill because I knew without question of a doubt it was simply my body/mind going a bit funny from sleep deprivation. Soon I fell asleep and it all stopped. Not sleeping for too long gets you really fucking high :lol

Not anything ghost related really, but when "The Weakest Link" was coming to NBC the teaser commercials were just a normal promotional spot for one of their current shows like Friends but in the middle of the Friends promo the screen would suddenly fade to red and black and that lady that hosted it would be yelling on screen about being "weak".

The first time I ever saw that was during Conan, so it was late at night, and I thought a demon was trying to contact me. First time I ever truly was scared of a ghost-like "happening".:lol

Crayon

I had a pretty sweet/intense fever dream/nightmare/sleep paralysis episode earlier this year.

I was actually suffering from a high fever. Not sure if I was awake and tripping or just dreaming.

I was (seemingly) lying awake in the guest room of my mother's house. I seemingly had been asleep becasue it was the early morning hours now with just some light making it thru the window.

I heard the doorknob turn. I heard the door creak open. I of course went to look, but I could not move anything but my eyes. Could not see past the thick comforter that was up to my neck. I started to get scared but tried to calm down. Then I heard something like a light footstep on the carpeting. Then another. Another. I still could not see anything much beyond the comforter, the ceiling, and if I "stretched" my eyes, a bit of the window to the left of the bed.

I tried to say "who's in my room?" But my mouth would not move. Barely audilbe mumbling was the best I could do.

"WHO THE FUCK IS IN MY ROOM?"

I managed to form actual words with that one but my own voice sounded terribly distorted. My chest tightens.

This walks up next to me and stands over my bed:

fevadre.jpg

I am trying to scream my brains out and struggle as this thing just looks down on me. The artwork there seems poor but that's pretty much what this near-featurless creature looked like in the dim light and that is exactly the sort of dum expression it had.

After a few seconds of that it was gone. It was just gone and I could move. Very panicked. Everythhing else was exactly as it was. And I was definitly awake now. I grabbed my ds off the nightstand and opted to play the mediocre Scurge: Hive for a few hours instead of going back to sleep in this state.

Some of you have not done any mind altering drugs yet and I urge you to carefully consider doing them/doing lots of them. I don't do much of that sort of thing anymore but I still see stuff that is not there/other people wouldn't see/people aren't meant to see. It can be fun but it's also knocking on the door of crazy so be careful with your brain please.

Just last year me and my buddy went into this house where an entire family was murdered and hanged. Of course, we were just wanted to go there to fuck around and we didn't really think it would be scary at all. We were wrong, though. Once we entered the house, we realized how creepy that place actually was. What was even freakier was that the entire second floor of the house was full of those things found inside VHS tapes. Me and my friend immediately made a connection to The Ring and we decided to follow the tape and see if it leads to an actually cassette.

After about 30 minutes of searching, we finally found something. Me and my friend were already hearing stuff and our imaginations were starting to get the best of us, so neither of us wanted to touch the VHS tape. Once we both finally agreed to kick shit that shit over with our feet so we could at least read what's in the title, we were utterly disappointed.

"girls from California in heat"

Total letdown.

Pop On Arrival said:
Just last year me and my buddy went into this house where an entire family was murdered and hanged. Of course, we were just wanted to go there to fuck around and we didn't really think it would be scary at all. We were wrong, though. Once we entered the house, we realized how creepy that place actually was. What was even freakier was that the entire second floor of the house was full of those things found inside VHS tapes. Me and my friend immediately made a connection to The Ring and we decided to follow the tape and see if it leads to an actually cassette.

After about 30 minutes of searching, we finally found something. Me and my friend were already hearing stuff and our imaginations were starting to get the best of us, so neither of us wanted to touch the VHS tape. Once we both finally agreed to kick shit that shit over with our feet so we could at least read what's in the title, we were utterly disappointed.

"girls from California in heat"

Total letdown.

ummm...ok?

Darkpen

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I never encountered a ghost, but I'm getting alot of deja vu's from dreams. They're nothing special, just me at work, or walking on the street or anything. But the events mostly match up to what happens the next week in real life.

The weirdest thing happened around three months ago. I walked to a co-worker and I thought... wait a minute this is just like the dream I had. I was stunned for a moment and something dropped from the ceiling right in front of me. I waited just a couple of seconds and my co-worker was like, "how did you know that was going to happen?".

I also recall another event. I was out shopping with one of my friends and I asked him to stop for some reason, he almost wanted to cross the road but instead he turned his head towards me. At the very same moment a truck drives through the red light and I'm certain it would've hit him. The strange thing is that I never noticed the truck, so I've got the feeling that I've got some kind of guardian angel.

gutshot said:
Not only do our eyes compensate for a blind spot, but they can also see into the future!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,361623,00.html
While I'm quoting two rather old quotes, reading that article, and that post, made me think of something from my childhood as I took a shower.

In one of my earliest of childhood memories, there was a point where the memory starts with me sort of feeling this horrific feeling that something very terrible was going to happen involving the person infront of me, and my goldfish that was in my parent's room. He suddenly runs, and I immediately sprint after him, with this feeling of horror. Before I know it, its too late, and there, in his small, grubby hand, is the squished body of my goldfish, raised high in an evil triumph.

I don't remember distinctly why, but there was something about what was going to happen that made me go after him. Maybe it was because I sensed the immediate future, maybe he said something, or maybe there was something entirely different that I felt.

I don't know, but it does make me wonder.

As for paranormal experiences, when I was really young, I think I had several crazy psychological experiences that I think had much more to do with my state of mind than anything like ghosts.

For several months, I had continuous nightmares at night, even when I went to sleep in my mom's bed. It would get so bad, I had to tell her that if my hand shook even the slightest bit, to wake me up. Sleep paralysis is such a powerful thing.

Sometimes, I saw frightening figures walking into my room, one of which looked like the marshmallow man from ghostbusters. They weren't fully figured, but rather just shadows, rimmed with slight light.

There was also a point where my friends and high got incredibly frightened by my Pillsberry doughboy toy. I also avoided my Mickey Mouse plush doll for like... 10 years.

Darkpen said:
There was also a point where my friends and I got incredibly frightened by my Pillsberry doughboy toy. I also avoided my Mickey Mouse plush doll for like... 10 years.
Fixed?
Darkpen said:
There was also a point where my friends and I got high and got incredibly frightened by my Pillsberry doughboy toy. I also avoided my Mickey Mouse plush doll for like... 10 years.
Or... is it?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Never seen anything, so I'm not really a 'believer'. But we had a famous (well, locally famous) ghost house in the neighbourhood, which made it to various newspapers. Footprints, sounds and more footprints on its outer wall made the townspeople think it's scary. Sounded like a big fake, but it was, well, interesting ^^

Anyway, I like your stories, so go on please and don't let this thread die.

And haunt you at nights.

Woohoooo.

antiloop

I have never experienced anything myself. You could call me a none believer.

My sister has experienced a few things though.

She and her best friend was visiting another nearby town. It was late at night and they were on their way home from a party. It must have been nearly 10 years ago. They were really sober at this late hour and no other drugs were involved.

They arrived outside the local bus station and saw a weird looking man sitting down on a bench.
He was the only person there and he wore old dirty rags. Looking like a beggar or at least that's what they thought at the time. He also had an old fishing hat on his head with fishing rods in it and the clothes looked like they too belonged to a fisher. Like something from the early last century.

They didn't dare speek to him and sat down as far away as possible. The smell coming from him was awful, as described by my sister like something really old and rotten. They just took quick glances in his direction so to not draw his attention. They didn't notice his spooky appearance at first apart from the clothes, it was just the smell which made them curious. At closer inspection they saw that he had wrinkles all over his face and didn't look like old men usually do. Like rotten.. or something.

After a while the man stood up and walked to a nearby light post. My sister and her friend looked in another direction. The last thing they saw was the guy grabbing the light post and spinning around it 720 degrees with his hand. After that he was gone.

They were really creeped out....

One time in the same town my sister woke up at her boyfriends house and saw an angry looking woman staring at her. It occured one more time after that. It could have been a vivid dream but he boyfriend has felt things too before in that room although he has never seen anything.

antiloop said:
I have never experienced anything myself. You could call me a none believer.

My sister has experienced a few things though.

She and her best friend was visiting another nearby town. It was late at night and they were on their way home from a party. It must have been nearly 10 years ago. They were really sober at this late hour and no other drugs were involved.

They arrived outside the local bus station and saw a weird looking man sitting down on a bench.
He was the only person there and he wore old dirty rags. Looking like a beggar or at least that's what they thought at the time. He also had an old fishing hat on his head with fishing rods in it and the clothes looked like they too belonged to a fisher. Like something from the early last century.

They didn't dare speek to him and sat down as far away as possible. The smell coming from him was awful, as described by my sister like something really old and rotten. They just took quick glances in his direction so to not draw his attention. They didn't notice his spooky appearance at first apart from the clothes, it was just the smell which made them curious. At closer inspection they saw that he had wrinkles all over his face and didn't look like old men usually do. Like rotten.. or something.

After a while the man stood up and walked to a nearby light post. My sister and her friend looked in another direction. The last thing they saw was the guy grabbing the light post and spinning around it 720 degrees with his hand. After that he was gone.

They were really creeped out....

One time in the same town my sister woke up at her boyfriends house and saw an angry looking woman staring at her. It occured one more time after that. It could have been a vivid dream but he boyfriend has felt things too before in that room although he has never seen anything.

Dead fisherman haunting a bus stop. Its almost to crazy not to be true.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Crayon said:
I had a pretty sweet/intense fever dream/nightmare/sleep paralysis episode earlier this year.

I was actually suffering from a high fever. Not sure if I was awake and tripping or just dreaming.

I was (seemingly) lying awake in the guest room of my mother's house. I seemingly had been asleep becasue it was the early morning hours now with just some light making it thru the window.

I heard the doorknob turn. I heard the door creak open. I of course went to look, but I could not move anything but my eyes. Could not see past the thick comforter that was up to my neck. I started to get scared but tried to calm down. Then I heard something like a light footstep on the carpeting. Then another. Another. I still could not see anything much beyond the comforter, the ceiling, and if I "stretched" my eyes, a bit of the window to the left of the bed.

I tried to say "who's in my room?" But my mouth would not move. Barely audilbe mumbling was the best I could do.

"WHO THE FUCK IS IN MY ROOM?"

I managed to form actual words with that one but my own voice sounded terribly distorted. My chest tightens.

This walks up next to me and stands over my bed:

fevadre.jpg

I am trying to scream my brains out and struggle as this thing just looks down on me. The artwork there seems poor but that's pretty much what this near-featurless creature looked like in the dim light and that is exactly the sort of dum expression it had.

After a few seconds of that it was gone. It was just gone and I could move. Very panicked. Everythhing else was exactly as it was. And I was definitly awake now. I grabbed my ds off the nightstand and opted to play the mediocre Scurge: Hive for a few hours instead of going back to sleep in this state.

Some of you have not done any mind altering drugs yet and I urge you to carefully consider doing them/doing lots of them. I don't do much of that sort of thing anymore but I still see stuff that is not there/other people wouldn't see/people aren't meant to see. It can be fun but it's also knocking on the door of crazy so be careful with your brain please.

doughboy.jpg

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
There was a thread very similar to this a while back, here's my story from that thread.
Other thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110935

oxrock said:
I don't know how to classify my experience really, rather than just cool. My childhood friend and I were always interested in supernatural stuff. We talked about it all the time and even tried ouiji boards and whatnot. (No luck with the board ) But one night we were up in his room just talking about dumb shit like we always did when we noticed a wierd light. I saw it outside his 2nd story window and I called his attention to it. It was this tiny ball of light. Almost like a firefly that was stuck in the on position. What made this really wierd is even though the window was closed, this ball of light came into the room and was moving around. After a minute or two it disapeared into the wall. This is something we both saw, niether of us were drunk or on drugs and we verified eachother's sighting.

Not so much anymore, but I used to jump when I was just slipping into sleep all the time. I felt Like i was falling for some reason. Also, I went through about a month long period where when falling asleep my mind would be awake but I couldn't move my body at all. I remember it TOTALLY freaking me out.

Wow, just realised I had more stories than I though, rofl. Ok, here's 2 more. First story:

This one is pretty short. When I was younger (like 5-7) my father used to take me fishing with him all the time. This one time we were at a lake, I was sitting leaning back against a tree and my father was lure fishing. I don't remember really talking but my father yelled to me asking who I was talking to. The moment he did this i felt a great weight leave my lap (which is strange cause I hadn't noticed it.) Why a ghost or entity or whatever would be sitting in my lap eludes me, but I found this strange.

This second story has much the same atmosphere. My father had taken me and my brother fishing at a resevoir about 30 minutes from our home. A few minutes after setting up, two men arrive. They're wearing really old clothing, I seem to recall thinking them wearing old military outfits. Really, really old clothing. Eventually I shrugged it off as if they just came from an re-enactment or something. So my father went a ways off in search of a better place to cast his lure while my brother and I stayed with our rods. Eventually I had a fish on the line and for some reason my brother (4 years older and much stronger at the time) thought he should be the one to reel it in. We had a fight and I ended up in the water. Now mind you that I was about 5 years old, had no clue how to swim, and the water was over 20 feet deep. It was a long fall into the water, we were set up on a ledge. I seem to remember it being a HUGE distance but it was probably only 15 feet or so. My brother freaked out and went to search for my father to help me. At this time I was just splashing about in the water, I stayed about 2-3 feet from the surface so I couldn't breath and I remember seeing those two guys again(the ones dressed in really old clothing) They yell down to me that everything will be alright and to keep moving towards the light. Which is of course all you can really see when you're underwater looking up. Wierd thing is, if someone's above water and you're underwater you can't make out any words someone is saying, but I heard these guys perfectly. Anyways, moments later my father dives in and saves my life (gotta remember to get him a card or something) and i'm on shore drying off. My brother got yelled at really good for pushing me into the water which made me happy cause we were bitter enemies until we got into our teens. We immediatly left for home and upon arrival my mother heard what happened and freaked out. Upon explaining my story I mentioned those 2 strangely dressed guys and niether my father nor my brother remember seeing them.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Whilst not ghosts per say, but sleep paralysis stories are pretty cool. I experienced one earlier this year due to lack of sleep, and basically it was this white thing slowly falling through the ceiling, I immediately knew what was going on so I closed my eyes tight because I didn't want to freak the fuck out and not be able to move. But the low vibrational hum sound and the fact that it felt like my face was being melted off was enough to freak me out till it all passed.

My last ghost experience was probably in Singapore at the in-laws, when I swear I had seen someone walk past a doorway in white, but when I went into the room no one was there.

I've copped the usual sounds of footsteps, some when I've slept in at mother's and my room is directly below the kitchen and I can hear someone walking around. When I head up there no one is at the house.

Lamps switching on and off in quick succession, fridge door opening by itself constantly, distinct smell of a certain recently deceased person, black and white shadows passing by quickly (sometimes can just be scientifically explained as trick of lights vs eyes).

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I want to make it very clear that i'd prefer everyone to be posting the truth here. That being said... Aren't there any more stories out there? I love reading this type of stuff. Keep it going gaffers

Kevtones

A good three years before Wayne Brady has his own talk show I told a psychologist that he would have his own show and I'd see it for the first time after not knowing it existed, talking to Winnie from Wonder Years. I also told a couple friends and the psychologist even wrote down 'Wayne Brady' and 'Wonder Years' in my file.

It was all based on a dream I had of which came true a few years later much to my confusion. My psychologist even called me.

I've had no other prophetic visions however :lol

trinest

msdstc said:
That's normal. Sounds like the dreams are scaring you awake, meanwhile sleep paralysis sets in. I'm sure you already read all about it and such, people are very nervous, hallucinate and such, while in a state of sleep paralysis. I used to freak out when I got it, but I never had hallucinations or anything like that, I just freaked out, because I couldn't move. Eventually I learned to calm myself down and just drift back to sleep, because fighting it is a terrible feeling.
I used to always rock - even though it felt like I wasn't moving I would end up waking up and slowly start to feel me rocking.

pubba

I was a total skeptic regarding ghost stories and so called paranormal encounters until one night about 5 years ago.

My job was a residential care officer for a client living in secure housing on a huge property that used to hold an asylum and housing for seriously disruptive clients. Basically - it was full of hardcore abusive, angry disabled people.

Luckily my client was pretty high level and he had a whole building all to himself. I used to hate doing the 12 hour night shift because the whole area had an awful oppressive feel to it. I later found out that there were many atrocities committed in the building. Rape, suicide and a number of unexplained deaths.

My client had a whole wing of the building to himself. The wing had about 6 to 8 rooms in it as well as a huge communal shower type area. 'Bad' clients used to get hosed down here, and it was used as a punishment as recently as the 1950's. I used to always get icy chills when I had to patrol that area, and I had a distinct feeling of not being welcome there..

Fast forward a few months and I was starting to get a bit braver. One night I was feeling tired so decided to have a sleep in the staff room that we had set up for the night person.

There was a single old rusty bed in the middle of the room, a broken wardrobe and the windows were boarded up with thick wooden planks. When I turned the light off, the room was totally dark.

I was using a sleep apnea machine then, and plugged it in and closed my eyes. Almost straight away, I felt an oppressive wave of energy hit me. My chest felt heavy and my blood turned to ice in my veins.

At first I thought it was an irrational panic attack and decided to try and think my way through it. Then the feeling grew stronger. I couldn't see a thing, but it felt like a huge hateful entity was breathing inches away from my face.

My heart was pounding in my chest, and I tried to remember the Lord's Prayer that we all had to learn back in school days. This helped for a while but when I lost concentration it felt like my ribcage was being crushed and I couldn't breathe.

I was given an ultimatum - get out now or you will be sorry. But I was paralyzed and kind of stunned by the whole situation. I tried to remember bible stories and stuff from when I was forced to go to Sunday school all my childhood. It sounds stupid now, but at the time I was totally terrified and that is the first thing my brain did..

It felt like time had slowed down.. Suddenly the pressure on my ribcage shot up my chest and I suddenly felt like my tongue was thick in my mouth. Swollen and dry. I tried to swallow but couldn't, and then a tightness closed around my throat.

Back then my brain was still trying to explain what was happening to me. These feelings were very real, and I was not dreaming or hallucinating (I think). When my tongue felt thick and the choking sensation started, I immediately thought 'I'm having an allergic reaction to something!'

Suddenly my sleep apnea machine shut off by itself. This was the last straw for me - It has never done that before and I had been using it for about 3 years then. I stood up, fumbled for the light switch and speed walked back to the staff common area.

When I told some of the old timers who worked at the center about my experience, they shook their heads and said things like 'you should never go in that part of the building' or 'you should have been warned about sleeping in there'.

Seems that a lot of the permanent staff knew that the whole wing was haunted.

I then made some inquiries and found out that about 16 people had died in that part of the center. One of the deaths occurred when a client choked to death. He died in the same room that I experienced the choking sensation.

He was very aggressive and had to be kept sedated at all times. I quit soon after that experience and found out recently that the whole center had been bulldozed. Probably a good thing..

Even typing this again has bought back the feeling of dread inside me. It was the single most terrifying experience of my life.

Just a few days ago myself and two buddies went to this supposedly haunted bridge in our area. We got there at about 2 AM and we walked through the bridge a few times. It was pitch black. We decided it would be a good idea to go under the bridge at about 3 AM. The story behind the haunting is that these gang members murdered this 17 year old girl and tossed her body in the river beneath the bridge about a year ago. So when we went under the bridge we were walking in the area where this girl's body was found.

I'm not a complete skeptic of the supernatural, but I wasn't buying that this bridge was haunted. I thought it was just a bunch of superstitious rednecks trying to make mountains out of mole holes in a sleepy little town. So we went under the bridge, by this time we were all convinced the place definately wasn't haunted. One of my buddies even lit up a cigarette. My other buddy decided it would be a good idea to start making jokes about how druggies come to this bridge at night to get high. He yelled: "any crackheads down there?" under the bridge. I followed by saying "crackheads?" in a high pitched voice. Seconds later we heard a clearly female disembodied scream that droned on for almost a minute and seemed to echo louder and closer to us incredibly quickly. We heard it from the right side of the bridge.

There were no houses and no people, nothing but us, the bridge, and whatever the hell that scream was. I can tell you that there was a split second where we were just sitting there looking at each other like WTF. Then we all bolted to the car and peeled the fuck out of there. I know there is a good possibility that the scream was just someone screwing with us or possibly an elaborate hoax since the bridge has a reputation to be haunted, but it definately freaked me out at the time. The next night when we went there we stayed for about 2 hours and didn't encounter a thing. *shrugs* I just like telling the story, even if there is a good chance it was nothing supernatural. I never really experience supernatural stuff.

DevilWillcry said:
Just a few days ago myself and two buddies went to this supposedly haunted bridge in our area. We got there at about 2 AM and we walked through the bridge a few times. It was pitch black. We decided it would be a good idea to go under the bridge at about 3 AM. The story behind the haunting is that these gang members murdered this 17 year old girl and tossed her body in the river beneath the bridge about a year ago. So when we went under the bridge we were walking in the area where this girl's body was found.

I'm not a complete skeptic of the supernatural, but I wasn't buying that this bridge was haunted. I thought it was just a bunch of superstitious rednecks trying to make mountains out of mole holes in a sleepy little town. So we went under the bridge, by this time we were all convinced the place definately wasn't haunted. One of my buddies even lit up a cigarette. My other buddy decided it would be a good idea to start making jokes about how druggies come to this bridge at night to get high. He yelled: "any crackheads down there?" under the bridge. I followed by saying "crackheads?" in a high pitched voice. Seconds later we heard a clearly female disembodied scream that droned on for almost a minute and seemed to echo louder and closer to us incredibly quickly. We heard it from the right side of the bridge.

There were no houses and no people, nothing but us, the bridge, and whatever the hell that scream was. I can tell you that there was a split second where we were just sitting there looking at each other like WTF. Then we all bolted to the car and peeled the fuck out of there. I know there is a good possibility that the scream was just someone screwing with us or possibly an elaborate hoax since the bridge has a reputation to be haunted, but it definately freaked me out at the time. The next night when we went there we stayed for about 2 hours and didn't encounter a thing. *shrugs* I just like telling the story, even if there is a good chance it was nothing supernatural. I never really experience supernatural stuff.

This post reminded me of a story that happened to me and my friend a few years ago. There's a story about this road in the county I live in called Sweet Hollow Road. Supposedly two girls jumped off the bridge and got hit by a car. It's a very heavily wooded road, very dark too. Supposedly if you flash your lights under the bridge theyll jump through the hood of your car. Also reported of getting pulled over by a police car that seemingly comes out of nowhere. After he pulls you over and goes through the usual "whatre you doing out here" and walks back to his car, if you look back you notice the back of his head is missing.

Anyway, me and my friend decided to drive out there. It was a pretty creepy road indeed, but we did the light thing under the bridge and nothing happened so we decided to just go home. While we were driving out of there a cop car pulled us over. Me and my buddy completely forgot about the cop part of the story. He just pulled us over and asked what we were doing flashing the lights and pulling a 3 point turn etc etc. He let us go, but like I said we forgot to look back at the cop to look at his head. We did notice the cop came out of nowhere and when he left he disappeared really quick. I didnt think of it until we were driving home "holy shit a cop pulled us over, the story."

Although it probably was just a fluke, its creepy to think about it.

Butane123 said:
Another time was when I was young (probably 3 or 4). Anyway, I was playing one of the Capcom Disney games on the NES in my grandmother's house. She and my parents were in the living room, I was by myself. I remember pausing the game and looking to the doorway. There stood an older man, in a suit, smiling down and looking at me. Its almost as if he had a proud look on his face. I remember him asking me "Are you enjoying that?" and I hesitantly shook my head yes, and looked back at the TV and then looked back to see that he was gone. I went into the living room and asked who that man was, but all I got was puzzled looks and "There was no one else here." I didn't think much of it. A few years later (prolly in my teens then), I was looking at some old family pictures my grandmother had brought for my mother to go over. I looked through a few, and stopped at a picture of my grandfather, who died a year before I was born. As I stopped and looked, I had a realization. He had the exact same face as the man I saw when I was younger. My mother also claims that she saw him several times in a chair in the room she was in when she gave birth to me. Again, with a proud look on his face.
I'm not done with the thread yet, but I just wanted to say this made me fucking cry. I read it aloud to my dad and we both got glassy eyed and as I drove out to my GF's house, I cried the whole way. Amazing story, and damn touching. Love is a powerful fucking force.

Edit: For fucks sake, you guys!

hooded pitohui said:
- My mother was pregnant with my younger sister right around the time my great-grandmother was checking out. She told my mother, "Before I die, I want to see the baby." Of course, she dies first, and my sister is born a few months later. One evening during dinner, the back door in the kitchen swings wide open. We're all eating dinner, and my sister is sitting in her high chair next to the table. We had a black lab at the time who would always rush outside at every opportunity, but this time she just backed away from the door and started barking the shit out of it. A few moments later, the door closes and the dog calms down. We have a hunch it was great nana just stopping by to see the baby.
Guts Of Thor said:
This didn't happen to me but when my nephew was a baby(I can't remember exactly how old) my mom saw him waving to empty space and laughing. He did this for a few minutes and then afterwards picked up a picture of my Uncle who had died a few years before my nephew was born and carried it around the house for the rest of the day. To this day we still believe that my uncle appeared to him.

:') *sniff*

harSon

Banned
Not really a ghost encounter but something I'd consider 'paranormal' happened a few years back. My brother and I were in the family room watching television, can't really remember what but it's not really all that important to the story. Anyways, we were watching television when we heard a loud crashing noise from behind us. After checking things out it turned out to be a picture frame containing a photo of my mother and her friend from when they were young. The frame itself was broken so I threw it away and cleaned up the mess. Shortly after, I'd say 15-20 minutes, we received a call from another one of my mother's acquaintances... she needed to speak to my mother and said it was urgent but didn't specifically mention what was wrong. I later found out that my mother's friend had died in a car accident. Still freaks me out till this day.

pubba said:
I was a total skeptic regarding ghost stories and so called paranormal encounters until one night about 5 years ago.

My job was a residential care officer for a client living in secure housing on a huge property that used to hold an asylum and housing for seriously disruptive clients. Basically - it was full of hardcore abusive, angry disabled people.

Luckily my client was pretty high level and he had a whole building all to himself. I used to hate doing the 12 hour night shift because the whole area had an awful oppressive feel to it. I later found out that there were many atrocities committed in the building. Rape, suicide and a number of unexplained deaths.

My client had a whole wing of the building to himself. The wing had about 6 to 8 rooms in it as well as a huge communal shower type area. 'Bad' clients used to get hosed down here, and it was used as a punishment as recently as the 1950's. I used to always get icy chills when I had to patrol that area, and I had a distinct feeling of not being welcome there..

Fast forward a few months and I was starting to get a bit braver. One night I was feeling tired so decided to have a sleep in the staff room that we had set up for the night person.

There was a single old rusty bed in the middle of the room, a broken wardrobe and the windows were boarded up with thick wooden planks. When I turned the light off, the room was totally dark.

I was using a sleep apnea machine then, and plugged it in and closed my eyes. Almost straight away, I felt an oppressive wave of energy hit me. My chest felt heavy and my blood turned to ice in my veins.

At first I thought it was an irrational panic attack and decided to try and think my way through it. Then the feeling grew stronger. I couldn't see a thing, but it felt like a huge hateful entity was breathing inches away from my face.

My heart was pounding in my chest, and I tried to remember the Lord's Prayer that we all had to learn back in school days. This helped for a while but when I lost concentration it felt like my ribcage was being crushed and I couldn't breathe.

I was given an ultimatum - get out now or you will be sorry. But I was paralyzed and kind of stunned by the whole situation. I tried to remember bible stories and stuff from when I was forced to go to Sunday school all my childhood. It sounds stupid now, but at the time I was totally terrified and that is the first thing my brain did..

It felt like time had slowed down.. Suddenly the pressure on my ribcage shot up my chest and I suddenly felt like my tongue was thick in my mouth. Swollen and dry. I tried to swallow but couldn't, and then a tightness closed around my throat.

Back then my brain was still trying to explain what was happening to me. These feelings were very real, and I was not dreaming or hallucinating (I think). When my tongue felt thick and the choking sensation started, I immediately thought 'I'm having an allergic reaction to something!'

Suddenly my sleep apnea machine shut off by itself. This was the last straw for me - It has never done that before and I had been using it for about 3 years then. I stood up, fumbled for the light switch and speed walked back to the staff common area.

When I told some of the old timers who worked at the center about my experience, they shook their heads and said things like 'you should never go in that part of the building' or 'you should have been warned about sleeping in there'.

Seems that a lot of the permanent staff knew that the whole wing was haunted.

I then made some inquiries and found out that about 16 people had died in that part of the center. One of the deaths occurred when a client choked to death. He died in the same room that I experienced the choking sensation.

He was very aggressive and had to be kept sedated at all times. I quit soon after that experience and found out recently that the whole center had been bulldozed. Probably a good thing..

Even typing this again has bought back the feeling of dread inside me. It was the single most terrifying experience of my life.

Holy shit dude. I'd quit that night.

I have two events that happened to me that I still have not been able to explain. I hope this isn't too long of a read...

experience #1:

A few years ago up in Seattle I had come home from college (WSU) for spring break. I was up in my parents bonus room ready to fall asleep and just watching TV on low volume. It was raining outside and just a creepy night. I was laying on the couch, and suddenly heard what sounded like breathing. It was steady breathing, like someone was standing in the room, but I was the only one in it. I was confused and when I found out where it was coming from, I slowly turned my head to the corner of the room where it was coming from. As soon as I was facing and looking in the general direction, the breathing stopped, mid breath, like whatever was there KNEW I was looking at it. I immediately got chills and an uneasy feeling. I was frozen. I jumped up to see if it was one of the cats sleeping in the corner...nothing there. I pulled the covers over my head and fell asleep I was so scared. I told my mom the next morning, and to this day she continues to joke about it being a leprechaun (being it was around Saint Patricks day). Still don't know what it was

Experience #2:

My house in Arizona. About a year ago this month. Same situation. I was laying down with the TV on low ready to go to bed. It was extremely quiet. Out of nowhere comes this huge *BANG!*. It was so loud and startling the first thing I thought was that someone was trying to break in to my home. I jumped up and bolted in to the kitchen to see what it was. There was a liquor bottle laying on my countertop rolling back and forth. It had somehow made its way from the center of the top of my refridgerator, tipped itself over the edge onto the counter, without breaking itself. Upon seeing this I had some of the biggest chills ever. I was shaking. I was cold. I couldnt figure out what in the hell happened. (How did this bottle throw itself off of the fridge, and not break?) I immediately called my mom again, who kind of laughed it off again. I still don't know how or why that happened. But I stay strong to both of these incidents and how they remain simple, but odd, and unexplainable.

I guess I'll bite. I've had many experiences I can't quite explain over the course of my life but these are the top 4 ones.

1. Back when I was 10 my parents moved into a house that was across a cemetery. The whole neighborhood actually bordered 2 cemeteries to the north and to the west. I didn't like the house at all because the front design of it reminded me of the Amytiville house with 2 windows at the top that looked like eyes. Only our new house had a row of windows on each side of the front door so it looked like a greening face to me. From the first day I walked in, I always had this uneasy feeling about the house. I never actually saw anything though but whenever I was home alone (usually right after school since I would rush home to catch GI Joe at 2:30pm) it felt as if I was being watched. Never did I feel like I was alone and the hair on the back of my neck would stand.

Still I never saw anything but once I did hear what sounded like whispering coming from the foyer hall. I had always dismissed it because I thought it was just my imagination from all the horror films I watched on cable then (I think I watched Nightmare on Elm St 3 on HBO that same weekend after we moved in). Then one day my mother brought a prayer group over to bless the house and the feelings of uneasiness went away. Didn't give it any thought at the time. It was years later I randomly asked my mom why she had the house blessed. She said it's because my youngest sister was claiming to see "see though people" walking around the house and sometimes when she was in the house alone, she would feel like she was being watched. Blew my mind at the time.

2. Same neighborhood. The main street in that area ran right between 2 of the 3 cemeteries in the area. So whenever I had to take the bus, I was likely crossing or walking up that street. One night my sister said she was walking home up the street where it's bordered by a cemetery on each side. She saw a person a few yards ahead of her walking very slowly. She eventually caught up to the person and passed him. She said after she got a few feet ahead she turned around and the person was gone. She looked to around but there were iron fences about 7 feet high on each side of the road to close off the cemeteries and so there was no place this person could have gone to. She got freaked out and ran the rest of the way.

This surprised me when she told me this because I saw someone walking up the same area very slowly a couple nights before. Only I never turned around to see if the person was still there and went about my business. What did happen to me that night was each street light went off as I walked passed it.

3. When I was in college, I worked at a touristy shop in Savannah, Ga on the water front. The second floor of the shop was dilapidated and so only used for storage and a small toilet stall. My second day on the job I was told by one of my co-workers to go upstairs only if I needed to for the bathroom. She was convinced it was haunted. She said last she was up there, she heard footsteps around her then felt something touch her. Only there was nobody there. I took what she said with a grain of salt until I experienced something. One late afternoon day, I was taking supplies up to the second floor. I went up the stairs which is in the northwest corner of the floor and turned to see the light was on in the bathroom stall and the door wide open. I put down the boxes I had, shut off the light and shut the door. I turned around and went back downstairs and picked up more boxes I had there. I go up the stairs and look to see not on the stall's door is open but the light is on as well. I stop and stare for a good 5 seconds then take a step forward only to watch the light switch flip itself off. I put the boxes down, went downstairs, told me boss I wasn't going back up there again and didn't go back up there. Not the worst of the creepy shop to come.

One night when I was closed shop and it was about 9:20 pm. I'm counting the register cash and going on about normal business when one of the toys in the back end of the store went off by itself. We had a variety of animal toy that makes noise when you squeeze them. This one was a lamb. I ignore it and think it's simply a faulty toy (even tho I hadn't heard it go off all night). Then it went off again but then a second frog toy went off too. So I'm hearing "baah" and "ribbit" coming from the back of the store. I take a moment, go out the front door and pull aside the first person I see and ask 'Excuse me, toys don't go off on their own do they?" The guy chuckles a "no". So I take a deep breath and go back inside. About 5 minutes pass and I'm filling out the paperwork to put the money away in the safe. Now all of a sudden ALL of the toys start going off. A barnyard of animals toys just all going off at once. I was in shock but then just got this sudden feeling of dread. Like if I stayed any longer something was gonna happen. I drop the money on the floor behind the counter, grab my bag and bolt for the door. Thankfully the light switch was right by the door and I locked it all and left. The next day I went in early after ignoring a voice mail asking me why the money was all over the floor and quit.

4. Same town just a few months later I was interning at a museum. Lots of the local tour companies have guides that walk around in period dress leading small tour groups all over town. So seeing a dude in a civil war outfit was pretty common. One night I was walking past the city's oldest cemetery right in the middle of town. This cemetery often had a thick layer of fog covering ti at night when no other parts of town had any. This was one of those nights. I'm walking around the fence of it and notice a guy in a confederate uniform sprawled on the sidewalk ahead of me. Pale blond kid with bright blue eyes staring into space like he was dead. I told him he was pretty dedicated at his job since I figured it was part of some local tour. Only there wasn't anybody else in sight save the night tour trolley which had already passed and was leaving. I took a few steps forward after watchign the trolley drive out of sight and turned around towards the guy to say something to him but he had vanished. He was just gone. I continued on my way and had never walked passed the cemetery after dark from that day on.

Yeah, I now really hate cemeteries. There's been other weird things I've seen but those are the top 4.

VeritasVierge said:
I guess I'll bite. I've had many experiences I can't quite explain over the course of my life but these are the top 4 ones.

1. Back when I was 10 my parents moved into a house that was across a cemetery. The whole neighborhood actually bordered 2 cemeteries to the north and to the west. I didn't like the house at all because the front design of it reminded me of the Amytiville house with 2 windows at the top that looked like eyes. Only our new house had a row of windows on each side of the front door so it looked like a greening face to me. From the first day I walked in, I always had this uneasy feeling about the house. I never actually saw anything though but whenever I was home alone (usually right after school since I would rush home to catch GI Joe at 2:30pm) it felt as if I was being watched. Never did I feel like I was alone and the hair on the back of my neck would stand.

Still I never saw anything but once I did hear what sounded like whispering coming from the foyer hall. I had always dismissed it because I thought it was just my imagination from all the horror films I watched on cable then (I think I watched Nightmare on Elm St 3 on HBO that same weekend after we moved in). Then one day my mother brought a prayer group over to bless the house and the feelings of uneasiness went away. Didn't give it any thought at the time. It was years later I randomly asked my mom why she had the house blessed. She said it's because my youngest sister was claiming to see "see though people" walking around the house and sometimes when she was in the house alone, she would feel like she was being watched. Blew my mind at the time.

2. Same neighborhood. The main street in that area ran right between 2 of the 3 cemeteries in the area. So whenever I had to take the bus, I was likely crossing or walking up that street. One night my sister said she was walking home up the street where it's bordered by a cemetery on each side. She saw a person a few yards ahead of her walking very slowly. She eventually caught up to the person and passed him. She said after she got a few feet ahead she turned around and the person was gone. She looked to around but there were iron fences about 7 feet high on each side of the road to close off the cemeteries and so there was no place this person could have gone to. She got freaked out and ran the rest of the way.

This surprised me when she told me this because I saw someone walking up the same area very slowly a couple nights before. Only I never turned around to see if the person was still there and went about my business. What did happen to me that night was each street light went off as I walked passed it.

3. When I was in college, I worked at a touristy shop in Savannah, Ga on the water front. The second floor of the shop was dilapidated and so only used for storage and a small toilet stall. My second day on the job I was told by one of my co-workers to go upstairs only if I needed to for the bathroom. She was convinced it was haunted. She said last she was up there, she heard footsteps around her then felt something touch her. Only there was nobody there. I took what she said with a grain of salt until I experienced something. One late afternoon day, I was taking supplies up to the second floor. I went up the stairs which is in the northwest corner of the floor and turned to see the light was on in the bathroom stall and the door wide open. I put down the boxes I had, shut off the light and shut the door. I turned around and went back downstairs and picked up more boxes I had there. I go up the stairs and look to see not on the stall's door is open but the light is on as well. I stop and stare for a good 5 seconds then take a step forward only to watch the light switch flip itself off. I put the boxes down, went downstairs, told me boss I wasn't going back up there again and didn't go back up there. Not the worst of the creepy shop to come.

One night when I was closed shop and it was about 9:20 pm. I'm counting the register cash and going on about normal business when one of the toys in the back end of the store went off by itself. We had a variety of animal toy that makes noise when you squeeze them. This one was a lamb. I ignore it and think it's simply a faulty toy (even tho I hadn't heard it go off all night). Then it went off again but then a second frog toy went off too. So I'm hearing "baah" and "ribbit" coming from the back of the store. I take a moment, go out the front door and pull aside the first person I see and ask 'Excuse me, toys don't go off on their own do they?" The guy chuckles a "no". So I take a deep breath and go back inside. About 5 minutes pass and I'm filling out the paperwork to put the money away in the safe. Now all of a sudden ALL of the toys start going off. A barnyard of animals toys just all going off at once. I was in shock but then just got this sudden feeling of dread. Like if I stayed any longer something was gonna happen. I drop the money on the floor behind the counter, grab my bag and bolt for the door. Thankfully the light switch was right by the door and I locked it all and left. The next day I went in early after ignoring a voice mail asking me why the money was all over the floor and quit.

4. Same town just a few months later I was interning at a museum. Lots of the local tour companies have guides that walk around in period dress leading small tour groups all over town. So seeing a dude in a civil war outfit was pretty common. One night I was walking past the city's oldest cemetery right in the middle of town. This cemetery often had a thick layer of fog covering ti at night when no other parts of town had any. This was one of those nights. I'm walking around the fence of it and notice a guy in a confederate uniform sprawled on the sidewalk ahead of me. Pale blond kid with bright blue eyes staring into space like he was dead. I told him he was pretty dedicated at his job since I figured it was part of some local tour. Only there wasn't anybody else in sight save the night tour trolley which had already passed and was leaving. I took a few steps forward after watchign the trolley drive out of sight and turned around towards the guy to say something to him but he had vanished. He was just gone. I continued on my way and had never walked passed the cemetery after dark from that day on.

Yeah, I now really hate cemeteries. There's been other weird things I've seen but those are the top 4.

Didn't you ever talk to the shop owner or your boss about what was going on in the store?

super-heated plasma said:
Didn't you ever talk to the shop owner or your boss about what was going on in the store?
Actually, I did. They thought I was crazy and "making the whole thing up in an effort to cover up being lazy" (WTF? I was an honor student with a 4.0 GPA while working 25 hours a week). Rather than argue about it and waste my time, I just quit right then and there.

Fireblend

Banned
Although I tend to think it was just me being the usually-frightened kid I was in my childhood (2-5 years old maybe?), I tended to avoid a particular door in my house, which led to an inhabited room (currently my brother's room) at the end of my hallway. See, my house's layout is something like this (warning: very rough representation):
2r7r5mr.png

And I always could swear to see some sort of shadow people coming out of the pointed door whenever I stared at it for too long, like looking at it would summon them or something, and they'd start walking through the hallway towards me. So whenever I had to be in front of the corridor I'd go through the back part of the table, avoid "visual contact" with the door and I'd be always scared to walk through the hallway. I can even remember various dreams in which I was frozen looking at the door forced to look at them and they'd get all the way through the hallway, which was fucking freaky.

It stopped, of course, which is why it just was me being the creepy kid I was.

A second story is also related to the hallway though; which is why I included the bathroom's mirror in the drawing. Some day a few years ago I was brushing my teeth, looking at the mirror(the blue rectangle in the drawing), when I see a man looking at me from the hallway, sort of hiding behind the wall with another door, like he was walking through there and didn't notice I was there, peeking at me. I don't remember what I did, probably some excuse to wake up my brother so he could confirm I was seeing things, obviously it was gone when I looked again. The man looked like someone in his sixties, very short, with a cane and obviously non-menacing, but still freaked me out :p

Other than that, nothing though; I know this house has no stories since we're their first owners (we built it), so unless some murder was committed here hundreds of years ago, I'm pretty sure I'm safe from potential angry ghosts. :lol

VeritasVierge said:
Actually, I did. They thought I was crazy and "making the whole thing up in an effort to cover up being lazy" (WTF? I was an honor student with a 4.0 GPA while working 25 hours a week). Rather than argue about it and waste my time, I just quit right then and there.

Surely they would have had to have witnessed some shit themselves. I mean they had to have spent much more time in the shop than you. Strange.

Surely they would have had to have witnessed some shit themselves. I mean they had to have spent much more time in the shop than you. Strange.
My boss only believed "stuff happens upstairs". She was open to that but not the possibility of things happening downstairs in the shop itself. I had worked there a few weeks without any incident. The shop did have a high turn over rate even before I started working there but I thought it had more to do with my boss who was one of the most incompetent managers alive. She would frequently lock herself out of the store and someone with keys (usually me when I worked there) would have to come down and open the place up for her. You could tell she only had the job because she sucked up to the owner so much. The store owner on the other hand didn't spend much time there at all since it was the 3rd store of a chain he owned in the area. He live din Hilton Head, SC so spent majority of his time at the store there and only came in every couple weeks. He just happened to be there the next day. I probably wouldn't have quit had he not insulted me.

Feep

Banned
There is nothing in this universe that cannot be logically explained.

There is plenty of stuff in this universe that we cannot logically explain.

VeritasVierge said:
LOL No way! I'm not going back. Ever.

LOL. I doubt anything would happen the very short time you enter the shop. But if it did, you would maybe share an experience with a hot chic who works there and you'll have an in because you guys will have something to talk about. ;)

Or you lose your soul to a life force sucking malevolent spirit. Either way, tell us what happened. :)

LOL. I doubt anything would happen the very short time you enter the shop. But if it did, you would maybe share an experience with a hot chic who works there and you'll have an in because you guys will have something to talk about. ;)

Or you lose your soul to a life force sucking malevolent spirit. Either way, tell us what happened. :)
I don't care if anything happens or not. I just couldn't stand those stuck up bigoted people to be in their company again. Not going to waste my time which has better things to do than play junior paranormal investigator. At the time was considered the "hot chick" who worked there so I think you have the wrong idea here. LOL Then again any girl was next to the whale of a woman my boss was.

I remember being in my sisters room looking in the mirror, and right across from the mirror was her door(which was open) and the hallway. At the left of the hall way was my old room and to the right was the bathroom that lead to the attic. So when I was looking at the mirror (im so hawt) I saw some hands coming out from MY room, and I automatically thought that it was my 5-6 year old brother (at the time), and called his name..the "thing" came out and looked like a person/alien/demon/ghost whatever it was..it had black lines on its back...I was in shock and the thing ran to the bathroom. To this day I have no IDEA what it was..shit scared the fuck out of me.

Damn im getting goosebumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom