• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell Netflix Series Gets a New Trailer and Character Art Ahead of Its Debut

vpance

4 eps in. I'm actually liking it way more than Arise.

Overall the animation isn't as repulsive as I thought it'd be. Some decent action scenes so far.

SirTerry-T

Beastars was only co-produced by Netflix though, right? All the hard work was done by Kinema Citrus who are fucking top of the league where CGI anime is concerned.
Should have been them or Mappa who are also getting pretty useful where CGI is concerned. They did the Dorohedoro adaptation which I think is coming to Netflix in the States and Europe later this month and is bloody awesome.

Faenrir

Love gits... wonder how good this will be but some series have really surprised me like Dark Crystal (always loved the movie).

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked it as much as any GITS stuff. They are all overly introspective and obtuse IMHO. It started rough though, this whole "sustainable war" thing wasn't really explained very well. I'm glad tachikomas are in it as well.

But really, one thing that really REALLY bothers me is how easily, effortlessly and deeply EVERYONE GETS HACKED! Memories replaced seemlessly. Vision tricked at will. Plugging into anyone is a deathtrap. Why, oh why, are there not some normal humans with normal eyes and normal brains walking around has handlers to these easily manipulated cyborg folk? This whole show would have been over in 3 episodes if a normie with normie vision and a pistol was standing around and could shoot all these hacked invisible cyborgs the super elite section 9 constantly gets tricked by :p

Still, some really nice industrial mech designs and fight scenes. Backflipping nude man is a bit ridiculous but also kinda terrifying in the show.

Echelon

I'm never, ever, ever, going to support cheap 3D CGI shit like this. Either commit to proper CGI, 2D, or don't bother at all.

ghost-in-the-shell-gif-16.gif

bronk

Banned
Beastars was only co-produced by Netflix though, right? All the hard work was done by Kinema Citrus who are fucking top of the league where CGI anime is concerned.
Should have been them or Mappa who are also getting pretty useful where CGI is concerned. They did the Dorohedoro adaptation which I think is coming to Netflix in the States and Europe later this month and is bloody awesome.

How is Beastars? Its in my queue

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm a few eps in and it is kinda meh. Think Zootopia with more teenage hormones. The whole concept is silly IMHO, because are they all vegan? Are their dumb animals they can eat? How does a wolf bang a rabbit anyway? Lots of emo internal monologues as well.

The furries will love it though.

caffeware

Banned
But really, one thing that really REALLY bothers me is how easily, effortlessly and deeply EVERYONE GETS HACKED! Memories replaced seemlessly. Vision tricked at will. Plugging into anyone is a deathtrap. Why, oh why, are there not some normal humans with normal eyes and normal brains walking around
XpgonN0X_400x400.jpg

mortal

Gold Member
I'm never, ever, ever, going to support cheap 3D CGI shit like this. Either commit to proper CGI, 2D, or don't bother at all.

ghost-in-the-shell-gif-16.gif
Whew 90's era Production IG were absolute mad lads.

The 1995 Animation actually made use of CGI in some comps. This was also present in some Ghibli animations like Princess Mononoke.
Although the studios at the time used it in such a controlled manner you don't even really notice it, which is more ideal imo.

The problem is many of these studios toady don't seem as concerned with making use of CGI in an aesthetically pleasing way that is cohesive with the art direction.
And the results generate something, despite being pre-rendered, that looks jarring and dated even when compared to some video games from 10 years ago.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

It's good. Kinda interesting how they play with the idea of sexuality/rape with an animals primal instinct.

People get to hung up on the "OMG they are animals" bullshit that they miss the forest for the trees.
I'm a few eps in and it is kinda meh. Think Zootopia with more teenage hormones. The whole concept is silly IMHO, because are they all vegan? Are their dumb animals they can eat? How does a wolf bang a rabbit anyway? Lots of emo internal monologues as well.

The furries will love it though.
Case in point

Azurro

Banned
I started watching this and didn't make it through the first episode. I dislike the character design, for whatever reason the characters have these child like proportions and it just looks cheaply made. It's like they took PS2 kingdom hearts and added a shitload of polygons.

Aside from that, it's a very slow intro, a lot of history that gets glossed over, like wtf is this sustainable war thing? Why were the super powers all fighting? Why did they fail and the entire economy got replaced by that? No explanation? Oh, ok.

No style, out of place, brooding dialogue spoken by a Kusanagi that looks like a toy. Pass.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

It's good. Kinda interesting how they play with the idea of sexuality/rape with an animals primal instinct.

People get to hung up on the "OMG they are animals" bullshit that they miss the forest for the trees.

Case in point
This. The whole "furry" thing is mistaken, the choice of animals is actually a pretty good analogy for our society. When you get to around episode 6 it all starts to make a lot more sense why the author picked this way to tell her story in the original manga.

sol_bad

Recently finished watching Inuyasha and we decided to watch a few shorter animes before watching our next long form series (Naruto). Wife had only seen the GitS anime film which she thought was just ok but I wanted to show her more of that universe. Realised that GitS Arise and it's movie was on Animelab so we watched through it. I've seen the GitS:SAC series which I love but it was my first time watching Arise. We both enjoyed it alot, I fucking loved it as it's everything I love about the world Masamune Shirrow created. Hard core sci-fi universe setting and all this crazy internet hacking and espionage stuff. The storylines were in-depth and you really need to focus to get a full understanding (especially with sub-titles) of the stories. Characters were all done really well. The only issue I had was the story arc where the Major had a boyfriend, I found that a bit odd.

So then we watched the new Netflix show after and ......... what the fuck is this shit? We struggled through the first 3 episodes.
Section 9 disbanded?
Togusa divorcing his wife??
Major and her team are mercenaries hanging out in America?
Why do all Americans speak Japanese?
Why has a black guy been introduced when it's never been required before?
Why are they using VR goggles when they have never introduced it before?
In episode 3 Togusa is looking at a woman and he gets a video game like menu system where he can just click on her private files, am I to assume he hacked her?
And why does he have bloody ad pop ups?

Shit is like a generic action film so far and I don't care about anything that is happening.
Has anyone finished this and is it worth finishing? Do they return to the Japan setting and does the show become more than the stupid Sustainable War plot?

Last edited:

vpance

English dub is out.

This is honestly the closest to a SAC GIG3 anyone could have realistically expected. Surprised me actually since I had low expectations going in.

It sucks if you can’t get past the animation but there are quite a few eps that are textbook SAC, especially after ep3.

Top Bottom