• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Official Trailer [Netflix / April 2020]

plushyp

Atsuko Tanaka, Akio Ohtsuka, Kōichi Yamadera, Yutaka Nakano, Toru Ohkawa, Takashi Onozuka, Tarô Yamaguchi, and Sakiko Tamagawa all reprise their respective roles as Motoko Kusanagi, Batou, Togusa, Ishikawa, Saito, Paz, Borma, and the Tachikoma from previous anime installments in the franchise. Osamu Saka returns from the various Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex anime as Daisuke Aramaki.

Staff: Directed by Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama. The character designer is Russian artist Ilya Kuvshinov.

Release Date: April 2020 on Netflix

Abandon all hope

3D animation
ifrfr2w_1.png

GreyHorace

Well... they got the original cast plus the director of the original Stand Alone Complex series, so it might be good.

But that CG did not look good. It looks like a last generation PS3 or Xbox 360 game. And I'm not liking the emphasis on action, as GITS:SAC was always more of a cerebral show. Still, the trailer probably focused on the action to hype things up. There may be some room for good writing yet.

Fbh

I see ugly CG anime on Netflix is getting slightly better. We've moved from Ps2 era to early Ps3

Naibel

It's a sliiiiiight improvement from the teaser, but not by much. CG quality is still stuck in the early 2000's which sucks.

It also seems too action-focused. But then again trailers tend to be misleading on that front. I hope what remains of the SAC cast keeps the spirit of the original works, especially the philosophical/existential angle.

Btw, what on Earth is that crappy soundtrack ? Where's Kenji Kawai or Yoko Kanno when we need them ?

All in all, I'm still keeping an eye on it because GITS is the GOAT but my expectations are kept in check.

zeorhymer

Ugh. What is up with 3D animation and Netflix. I watched 5 seconds of Saint Seiya and the horror of it. Now they're going to do it for Ghost in the Shell?

lol oh man....

3D animation is gonna take another unfair criticism because the showrunners decided to go for an awful art direction (like Sonic movie). I'm 99% sure the client wanted something along the lines of "we want a cartoony look like Borderlands but realistic. It has to be cartoony but it cannot have cel shading."

Mikado

Aramaki huh. Expecting that the mocap will probably be okay but story will be terrible. The appleseed cgi movies were largely unwatchable.
I thought the white-washing of Briarios in Appleseed:ExMachina was especially lame.

Edit: Watched the trailer; corrected my expectations.

Last edited:
Netflix really loves to mess up beloved Anime franchises huh.
First Saint Seia and now GITS, how the fuck did they make Castlevania?

Top Bottom