• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Announced for 2018 (New Sucker Punch IP)

888eddyx

I mean, when it comes to new ips, I tend to have a "no game, no hype" kinda mindset. I need to see gameplay in order to be convinced on a new game that isn't in a series I already trust. That being said, I'm really excited to see gameplay for this.

Back in the day I got Grand Master for every Layout of every Mission in the original Tenchu.

Regardless of how open or closed its gameplay areas are, any large focus on stealth and I'm pretty excited.

That said, even if it was mostly action rather than stealth, it actually doesn't matter to me too much because that setting is awesome.

Been waiting for a western developer to make actual full fledge ninja/samurai game with real world settings. Most ninja/samurai games coming out of Japan are either anime inspired with demons and giant sword weilding characters.

SaberEdge

Back in the day I got Grand Master for every Layout of every Mission in the original Tenchu.

Regardless of how open or closed its gameplay areas are, any large focus on stealth and I'm pretty excited.

That said, even if it was mostly action rather than stealth, it actually doesn't matter to me too much because that setting is awesome.

I'm very happy to see so many Tenchu fans in this thread. Those are some of the best games of my gaming life. Needless to say, I am insanely hyped for Ghost of Tsushima.

I hope it is more Tenchu and less Onimusha or Nioh, although I love all of those games.

ffvorax

Well they didn't showed anything actually... I like the idea, more than Nioh "dark souls edition", so looking forward what they will give us...

levitan

Kamakura period. Refreshing.
Mongol invasion. Nice.
Stealth. Yup.
Sucker Punch. Bravo.

Can't wait to see some gameplay! Also, nice atmospheric shots.

arcticice

I remember we had a "What's your dream game that will never become a reality" thread. This is the game that i wanted. i was ecstatic when this got announced. Stealth/Action/Adventure along with open world, count me in. The wait is going to be difficult, but it will be oh so worth it.

THE:MILKMAN

Where's this 2018 release date from?

I would like to know too. In the accompanying PR interviews SP do say they have been working on the game for 3.5 years so second half/late 2018 would seem about right?

Also Sony have said they will try to reduce the reveal to release time of games.

The biggest suprise of the show, and it was the opening too.

Definitely been wanting more samurai games as of late, looking forward for more info soon hopefully!.

firelogic

Nitpicking here but the choice of font for the title is terrible. It makes me think there's something futuristic to the game like Assassin's Creed. If it doesn't have an element like that, then it's just a terrible font for a game set in feudal Japan.

Mikey Jr.

Nitpicking here but the choice of font for the title is terrible. It makes me think there's something futuristic to the game like Assassin's Creed. If it doesn't have an element like that, then it's just a terrible font for a game set in feudal Japan.

As stupid as it sounds, if they made the title look more like Japanese font, it would probably turn off a lot of the more casual audience.

This setting is probably already a hard sell.

vpance

I had the same reaction. Seemed out of place.

SaberEdge

I had the same reaction. Seemed out of place.

Not to me. Just because it's set in feudal Japan doesn't mean the font needs to look old and kanji-like. I mean, if we really want to get technical, they shouldn't be speaking English, the type of armor shown in the end of the trailer is likely inaccurate and exaggerated, and ninja weren't known to exist at that time either. I think the font looks great.

Here is Tenchu Stealth Assassins box art for comparison:

https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/9/9/5/7995_front.jpg

GeoramA

Now my most wanted game by far. That trailer is amazing.

AAA Fuedal Japan game from a top-tier dev, I'm super stoked.

I don't like the logo design either. But to me it does not look futuristic. It looks like they tried to go for a brush stroke type of look. Look at the ragged edges. Like Japanese caligraphy.

But the font is so super square and boxy. Not flowing. That part is really wierd if they were trying to emulate caligraphy. It looks more like moveable type for printing.

The background maze patterns and the red triangle things do not look out of place. Those seem in line with ancient Japanese styles. I'm not an expert to know what era that style is from. But I have seem those kinds of minimalist patterns in Japanese art before.

Its possible the logo style is a woodblock print kind of style. But according to wikipedia that style is frim the Edo period (1603–1868) and is bit more modern than when this game takes place.

JP

I do really hope there's an option to play this with a Japanese voiceover and subtitles, for me it would make such a difference to the atmosphere to be able to play it like that.

Fizggig

Neo Member
mehhh, not big into samurai games. Ill give it a try maybe tho. It does look good plus suckerpunch is really good.

vpance

Not to me. Just because it's set in feudal Japan doesn't mean the font needs to look old and kanji-like. I mean, if we really want to get technical, they shouldn't be speaking English, the type of armor shown in the end of the trailer is likely inaccurate and exaggerated, and ninja weren't known to exist at that time either. I think the font looks great.

Here is Tenchu Stealth Assassins box art for comparison:

https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/9/9/5/7995_front.jpg

I like that one on the Tenchu box actually. I think it's just the hard right angles on this one that gives it an unintentional modern look.

Speaking of language I'd probably play this in Japanese audio if it has it, which I think it should.

Speaking of language I'd probably play this in Japanese audio if it has it, which I think it should.
I'd be good with only the native tongues being the only languages even, TBH. At least outside of cutscenes and in terms of gameplay.

MGS V isn't exactly analogous because the Diamond Dogs and XOF were mostly English speaking... Meaning, I do understand from a design perspective and making a game consumable, it's easier to justify native tongues for minor gameplay 'coments' more than major main story scenes.

But on that former point at least and in terms of gameplay, I really appreciated the MGS V enemies only speaking Russian, Afrikaans, etc. I also liked how Koei's last Romance of the Three Kingdoms offered Mandarin, too, which is something Dynasty Warriors could benefit from. Even simple things... Age of Empires 2 had native language little command 'responses' too, didn't it? Limited to yes, OK, understood, attack, etc, but it's a nice touch any time the 'setting' is as important as the 'story,' and this could be an example of that where the story is pretty simple and the game is really all about the setting and atmosphere.

That said, hearing badly acted "my moneyyyyy *grrrggggle*" in various English forms through Tenchu series has always had its own sort of campy charm a la sort of 70s ninja films haha.

To me it looked like he started as a Samurai and sort of became reborn as a ninja. Maybe the main character acquires some sort of ninjitsu training after his village was ravaged?

At first I got Shinobi vibes, this looks like a really nice concept, cant wait to see gameplay. Im sure itll look amazing going by how Infamous SS looked so early in PS4 gen - this will prob beat Horizon in graphics Im guessing

I mean, I guess the reason why they're speaking in English is the same reason why all the Assassin Creed's characters are speaking mostly in English no matter where the setting is.

I mean the real reason, not the in-game excuse.

Top Bottom