• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima graphics are distracting

jaysius

Banned
I agree. This game also has better HDR than TLOU2 and especially RDR2 which has broken HDR. Walking through a Bamboo forest at sunset while directly facing the sun and only being able to see the pitch black silhouette of in is just jaw dropping.

On an HDR and Dynamic Weather side note, Days Gone has the best of both of those two things that I have personally seen this generation.

My favorite place to hangout in GoT is the dense Yew Tree forests in the game. I shot a relaxation video in one of them.

If you'd like to relax -

Dynamic weather that has ZERO effect on gameplay, even fucking Breath of the Wild’s weather had an impact on gameplay.

zcaa0g

Banned
I thought the character models were sub-par in relation to the mostly beautiful and detailed game world, but a minor detail.

I'm one of those people that do play the same game again usually 3 to 5 years later and this will be one of them.

Dynamic weather that has ZERO effect on gameplay, even fucking Breath of the Wild’s weather had an impact on gameplay.

In Days Gone it actually does. The Freakers are stronger and more active when it rains and snows as far as I know. But you're right. It doesn't usually effect gameplay but the addition of dynamic weather can certainly make a game better, for me at least.

Best Tenchu game we've ever got.

It's a shame it looked like shit and didn't have interesting quests. Fanboy on though for the underpowered hot garbage known as Nintendo products.

I can play Breath of the Wild at 3440x1440 at 60+fps with my Switch Pro Controller. Can't say the same about GoT.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Playing now and while I think it's a great game, I don't think it's a graphical powerhouse.

Could be because I started playing directly after Tlou2 and also playing on side missions of RDR2.

Vick

Few more:

go5Efuq.png

JEz6g6y.png

R1cFyqI.png

BxZM9jY.png

YqMKDm9.png

IZnKn9Z.png

s7u0Kby.png

MTPFzUN.png

n76dCZj.png

TbKOXaO.png

JNHRgFW.png

31WpXct.png

sU5fF9z.png

UiXajqr.png

uL3hTj8.png

ysqi5De.png

NHge5jN.png

tgddNmp.png

bvLAiJz.png

r6YUr3X.png

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When SkillUp said it's the most beautiful looking game ever, i raised an eyebrow. 200+ hours in, i can definitely say that the game looks too good.
Not a meme, the game look distractingly beautiful way too often. In some instances i was so in awe it felt wrong, RDR2 and TLOU2 photorealism mixed with hyperrealism and the most insane art direction.. don't know how to exaplain, but do not play this game on a calibrated OLED or top tier Plasma if you don't want to be distracted by feeling in awe every five minutes. And even if every single element moves like a mf with wind having such a huge impact in this game, making therefore screenshots almost useless, i still wanted to stop every single minute to take a capture and i ended with just 390 photos only because i had to forcefully and painfully limit myself at a certain point, otherwise i'd be still in the first region.

98GiByl.png

TO5Bxyf.png

STPWaBJ.png

j8Jim9b.png

1x5SH4l.png

lrof5cP.png

yPjRxJN.png

RwP6ELu.png

dFeDXRY.png

IzV9Zpl.png

Y47oxo4.png

9BjqwYl.png

XvmLY3E.png

FqaO8nE.png

hMlkfWu.png

Z63CtUN.png

eDqXieL.png

r2FT28y.png

TlpvgNo.png

Rc53y1Z.png

5f9RY0n.png

afltexP.png

iK3dQEB.png

2fs1UjI.png

t5etHw5.png

D62xDoJ.png

5aphprn.png

CSxPub0.png

du2mNw9.png

HmJbvuE.png

acI7PI0.png

This is a damn action game in a huge free roam with dynamic weather and time of day and instant loading.. don't really think i can handle the next Sucker Punch game on PS5.
Is here a such thing as TLDS? Too Long didn't scroll. I literally started hitting the "End" key to get down to the bottom.

I'm kidding...kinda.

great pictures and I don't think we've seen anything yet. These are good, but still a downgrade from the E3 and susbsequent showings. I was disappointed at this at first. But I mean it's like 85-90% of the quality from what I remember of those trailers.

PS5 version is the real mamma jamma. I stopped playing the game just so I could finish it on PS5 or PC whenever it comes out. I plan to take some type of psychadelic and just sit and stare...then walk a few steps...then stop and stare again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The particle effects were definitely a bit overdone, but I loved how the game looked.

Certinty

Honestly, as amazing as most of the game looks, there are some textures which are outright laughable. This is where RDR2 and TLOU2 truly excel, there is no visual weakness in those.

Vick

Playing it now,
Dude, mind sharing your PSN?
Even in private if you want, because i doubt you've been even near this game after the nonsense you felt the urge to post.

Fanboi hyperbole runs freer than diahrrea after drinking Mexicn tap water.

looks ok, some textures are pure trash and out of place. Photo mode camera settings really helps hide the ugliness.

The camera which all the sucker punch fanbois never mention is criminally bad, i haven’t played a third person action game with such a trash camera since early 2010s, it gets stuck on everything, shows you the wrong shit sometimes, completely abandons you in the heat of combat.

When talking to NPCs for sidequests they are board stiff.

The companion AI is mentally delayed.

A great deal of the “excellent combat“ is more dodging red attacks instead of being able to parry shit. Archers in the dead of night still have pinpoint accuracy.

This game is rose tinted glasses.

Excellent ad hominem, the game is a fucking mess, your “clever” response doesn’t fix that.

This forum i swear, Sonyland XD
Bullshit mate sorry, this place often feels like the closest thing you can have to an official Xbox Forum right now, as a matter of fact. A safe space for individuals such as the one i quote above you.

Out of what Elog said only quest writing is debatable.
And this is coming from someone who had this to say before playing more of the game:

I literally started GoT today, and while combat is already better than W3, there’s absolutely no way in hell is going to be nearly as good. I mean, it’s great, beautiful to look at (because of it’s art, least impressive Sony F1 i’ve played this gen technically, outside of vegetation which is basically next-gen and what i guess took all resources) and with jap dub i get chills constantly, but W3 is one the best games every made bar none.
I don’t want to vote W3 yet, but i don’t see my preference changing.

What about people who put gameplay first?

I mean, i played more of GoT today and combat is insanely deep, overwhelming even. And outside of combat you can perform many more actions while playing. They also made sure to make everything shared beetween the two games feel more responsive/intuitive/better looking. It’s imo the only free roam on the market with environments as beautiful as Witcher 3 even.. i’m starting to undestand people voting for GoT.

P.S. Bloody Baron is overrated, Towerful of Mice is where the real magic happens. Should be a fucking movie.

It’s now my favourite of the gen and top 5 of all time.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Nice pics, but it seems most of them involve some kind of surreal light source; sounds like you're easily impressed by lighting.
Looks nice, but def not "most insane art direction".

Hustler

Can't wait to play this game. I've been waiting for a sale and for the PS5 to come out so the game will have the best performance possible. Best Buy has it for $40 on black Friday, so I have to hold out just awhile longer!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree. This game also has better HDR than TLOU2 and especially RDR2 which has broken HDR. Walking through a Bamboo forest at sunset while directly facing the sun and only being able to see the pitch black silhouette of in is just jaw dropping.

On an HDR and Dynamic Weather side note, Days Gone has the best of both of those two things that I have personally seen this generation.

My favorite place to hangout in GoT is the dense Yew Tree forests in the game. I shot a relaxation video in one of them.

If you'd like to relax -

RDR2 looks more like HDR with their sepia filter HDR turned off, lol.

Vick

It's incredible how EVERYBODY who played GoT made a photo of that same place

Here's mine (slightly edited with the photo mode)

EfTBWSeWoAABtyu
Yeah, loved that quest.

Can't wait to play this game. I've been waiting for a sale and for the PS5 to come out so the game will have the best performance possible. Best Buy has it for $40 on black Friday, so I have to hold out just awhile longer!
Believe it or not, visuals are not the best thing about the game, at all. These will age eventually, the combat will not.

Cobenzl

Playing it now, the game looks ok, some textures are pure trash and out of place. Photo mode camera settings really helps hide the ugliness.

The camera which all the sucker punch fanbois never mention is criminally bad, i haven’t played a third person action game with such a trash camera since early 2010s, it gets stuck on everything, shows you the wrong shit sometimes, completely abandons you in the heat of combat.

A great deal of the “excellent combat“ is more dodging red attacks instead of being able to parry shit. Archers in the dead of night still have pinpoint accuracy.

for sure you touch on a few of the weaknesses of the game and overall presentation. I’d also add that I hate the way that the enemies in the duels are total damage sponges compared to me.

It’s also the only game I’ve ever taken the time to platinum.

I’ve finished Death Stranding and RDR2 this year but so far no compulsion to go back on replay when my PS5 turns up in a couple of weeks.

GoT does something weird, it’s flawed diamond.

Hustler

Yeah, loved that quest.

Believe it or not, visuals are not the best thing about the game, at all. These will age eventually, the combat will not.

I'm cool with that, at least the combat will be more fluid. I'm not expecting this to be the best looking game ever, I was always on the fence with this game. The positive reception, new update and PS5 support made me cave on buying this.

Dude, mind sharing your PSN?
Even in private if you want, because i doubt you've been even near this game after the nonsense you felt the urge to post.

Bullshit mate sorry, this place often feels like the closest thing you can have to an official Xbox Forum right now, as a matter of fact. A safe space for individuals such as the one i quote above you.

Out of what Elog said only quest writing is debatable.
And this is coming from someone who had this to say before playing more of the game:

It’s now my favourite of the gen and top 5 of all time.
You haven't been here very long if you think Neogaf is an Xbox forum. Sonygaf is very well known. It's why the Bloodborne vs. Witcher 3 poll was so heated, Sonygaf just hated that an exclusive didn't poll as well as a Sony exclusive.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Honestly, as amazing as most of the game looks, there are some textures which are outright laughable. This is where RDR2 and TLOU2 truly excel, there is no visual weakness in those.
they both have some low res textures here and there, especially rdr2 (mostly because it's an open world game), i'm replaying the game on pc 4kultra during these days and a lot of npcs have mediocre textures, same for some objects, some type of terrain and some trees.

We are still far far away from open world games with the order\detroit (or better) level of details EVERYWHERE you look.

Last edited:

Vick

You haven't been here very long if you think Neogaf is an Xbox forum. Sonygaf is very well known. It's why the Bloodborne vs. Witcher 3 poll was so heated, Sonygaf just hated that an exclusive didn't poll as well as a Sony exclusive.
“SonyGAF“ was something dudes without a PS3 came up with when objective gamers (the same users who previously praised the Gears series, or Bioshock when it was a 360 exclusive) were praising the shit out of the Uncharted series, God of War 3 and The Last of Us.
The so called “SonyGAF”, left in 2017 during the infamous split.

This is a very different place now.

It's a gorgeous presentation; a lot of it is art direction and effects over crazy HQ assets to.. it's just a nice little showcase of technique.

yup. Its not that great actually. Mostly art work and it uses the same technique as Horizon. Everything is lit at an angle so it casts long shadows and its always in twilight. That gives the illusion that the graphics are better than they are. Its an eficient trick, but its not that impressive if you know what they're doing.

“SonyGAF“ was something dudes without a PS3 came up with when objective gamers (the same users who previously praised the Gears series, or Bioshock when it was a 360 exclusive) were praising the shit out of the Uncharted series, God of War 3 and The Last of Us.
The so called “SonyGAF”, left in 2017 during the infamous split.

This is a very different place now.
giphy.gif

Not really. Sonygaf just can't get away with bullying as much as they used to because objective evidence is more of a requirement here than it used to.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
yup. Its not that great actually. Mostly art work and it uses the same technique as Horizon. Everything is lit at an angle so it casts long shadows and its always in twilight. That gives the illusion that the graphics are better than they are. Its an eficient trick, but its not that impressive if you know what they're doing.
Well I'm impressed with how gorgeous it looks without relying on insane horsepower or assets. But yeah in the end there's not a ton going on if you pay attention.

They also clearly managed to render most of the game with the same set of assets. I think the game does a lot of initial loading of shared assets while the game is booting; and most of the game is able to render from these same assets so when you load a save or fast travel there just isn't much to load. That combined with the overall simplicity of the game is how they pulled off the really short load times.

Despite being an "open world" game there's not a lot being simulated here, but they did a lot with a little IMO.

Vick

giphy.gif

Not really. Sonygaf just can't get away with bullying as much as they used to because objective evidence is more of a requirement here than it used to.
No, sorry.
Objective evidence my ass, this Forum is in such a bad shape at the moment that you can not only get away with calling things like God of War or Spider-Man or Ghost of Tsushima overrated interactive movies (but then vote for Witcher 3 over Bloodborne?), you will also get tons of likes for it. And God forbid checking the post history of these people, or the Ban Thread.

Calling what this place is now “SonyGAF” is moronic to say the least.

No, sorry.
Objective evidence my ass, this Forum is in such a bad shape at the moment that you can not only get away with calling things like God of War or Spider-Man or Ghost of Tsushima overrated interactive movies (but then vote for Witcher 3 over Bloodborne?), you will also get tons of likes for it. And God forbid checking the post history of these people, or the Ban Thread.

Calling what this place is now “SonyGAF” is moronic to say the least.
I never called it Sonygaf. I said there's a reason that term exists. You've been here...7 mos. now? You got it all figured out I guess...Have fun.

Last edited:
Excellent ad hominem, the game is a fucking mess, your “clever” response doesn’t fix that.

Watch Dogs: Legion is a mess.

Ghosts of Tsushima is a starter point for what will undoubtedly become a polished franchise in the future.

I'm sorry you're so jaded that you can't find any enjoyment in the game.

Your spouse or significant other must be really happy to have you as a partner, if you even have one.

Vick

I never called it Sonygaf. I said there's a reason that term exists. You've been here...7 mos. now? You got it all figured out I guess...Have fun.
I've been a NeoGAF reader since 2005, after playing RE4 on Gamecube. I was here during the “Gears next-gen“ hype. Used to be my favorite place on all the Internet.
I only became a user once they got rid of the paid email limitation on accounts, which happened very recently.

I've been a NeoGAF reader since 2005, after playing RE4 on Gamecube. I was here during the “Gears next-gen“ hype. Used to be my favorite place on all the Internet.
I only became a user once they got rid of the paid email limitation on accounts, which happened very recently.
Hey, fair enough. You have your opinion. Fine by me.

Playing now and while I think it's a great game, I don't think it's a graphical powerhouse.

Could be because I started playing directly after Tlou2 and also playing on side missions of RDR2.

The game is not an amazing power house looking game for sure, especially compared to TLOU2.

I played it right after TLOU2 back to back during launch and boy did it take a while to transition - especially when it came to animation and the smoothness of it.

Took a while to "click" and understand that some of the shortcuts taken were needed for a game such as this, but eventually I enjoyed it enough to finish the game.

Hope you enjoy your time with it.

Iced Arcade

The game is not an amazing power house looking game for sure, especially compared to TLOU2.

I played it right after TLOU2 back to back during launch and boy did it take a while to transition - especially when it came to animation and the smoothness of it.

Took a while to "click" and understand that some of the shortcuts taken were needed for a game such as this, but eventually I enjoyed it enough to finish the game.

Hope you enjoy your time with it.
Oh I'm enjoying the hell out of ghost without a doubt.

wtf is this? He doesn't like your videogame so you resort to attacking his character? Fucking gross dude.

......I'm attacking his character?

Did I push your button or hit too close to home or something with you?

I'm sorry, I guess I should just have used "you must be fun at parties."

You can calm down now, okay?

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Playing it now, the game looks ok, some textures are pure trash and out of place. Photo mode camera settings really helps hide the ugliness.

cool

Top Bottom