• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima has one of the highest completion rates among open-world games on PlayStation

Rayderism

What "completion" means to me is very different to what the younger generation of gamers have been conditioned to call "completion". Pointless trophies and/or achievements mean nothing to me. When the credits roll, the game is "completed" as far as I'm concerned. Chasing after arbitrary trophies just becomes a chore. If a game becomes a chore, then it is contrary to the whole point of playing games.....to have fun. Once a game begins to feel like a chore, then it's the game playing you.

Topher

Gold Member

So, games industry in your mind....

fall leads GIF

Skifi28

The Last of Us Ps3 = 39.6%
The Last of Us Remastered = 40.4%
The Last of Us Part II = 58% is a damn good value. But feel free to let your personal opinion speak against facts.
I would't say "facts". The numbers are nice to have, but they don't always tell the whole story by themselves. For example, TLOU on PS4 was part of PS Plus at some point. Millions of people not very interesting in the game got to try it out and never finished it making those "facts" kind of meaningless. On the other hand, the second games hasn't been given away and hasn't even gotten any great sales as far as I know, only the "harcore" have really played it so far.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I would't say "facts". The numbers are nice to have, but they don't always tell the whole story by themselves. For example, TLOU on PS4 was part of PS Plus at some point. Millions of people not very interesting in the game got to try it out and never finished it making those "facts" kind of meaningless. On the other hand, the second games hasn't been given away and hasn't even gotten any great sales as far as I know, meaning only the "harcore" have really played it so far.
You are right, but as far as I know the original TLOU PS3 version never was part of PsPlus and 39.6% and 40.4% are pretty close, sso I thought that this could be neglected.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I guess there a lot of "embarrassed" open world developers out there.
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man – 50.8%
  • Assassin’s Creed Origins – 38.2%
  • Far Cry 5 – 36.7%
  • Days Gone – 34.7%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn – 34.1%
  • Assassin’s Creed Odyssey – 30%
  • The Witcher 3 – 29.8%
  • Death Stranding – 28.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption II – 28.2%
  • Watch Dogs 2 – 24.9%
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – 19.8%
Ghost of Tsushima is the fastest open-word game I finished. I usually take months to finish them but GOT I did it in a couple of days and I felt like starting it again. It is THAT good. Absolute masterpiece.

I'm not surprised at Death Stranding, I really struggled to finish it. What a pointless game, I don't even know why I played this. I felt sorry for the actors. Nonsense garbage story and gameplay.

Skifi28

You are right, but as far as I know the original TLOU PS3 version never was part of PsPlus and 39.6% and 40.4% are pretty close, sso I thought that this could be neglected.

I really don't know, which is why I try and avoid using these numbers as proof of anything. They can easily be twisted to fit any narrative one wants. I'm not even sure if or how accurate they really are.

xrnzaaas

I checked the Yakuza games:

Yakuza 0 - 33.8%
Yakuza Kiwami - 16.0%
Yakuza Kiwami 2 - 59.9%
Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 31.5%
33% is a great number for Yakuza 0 considering that it's the first Yakuza game for many people and they may drop it if they don't like it. Plus it's long and honestly not that easy.

As for Ghost of Tsushima, good for them. The main story is very enjoyable and I wasn't counting the minutes until the end like when playing Spiderman.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Tlou2 is not open world and the fact you had to specifically say that in your OP leads me to believe you know that as well

That being said, ghosts is still a way more fun game

Last edited:

Kupfer

I really don't know, which is why I try and avoid using these numbers as proof of anything. They can easily be twisted to fit any narrative one wants. I'm not even sure if or how accurate they really are.
Yeah, but still, those numbers are the best indicators we can get.
There are certainly a certain number of consoles that are not connected to the Internet, also consoles with trophy hacks.
We will never know the exact numbers, but I can live with that and think, the numbers given are useable.

MadPanda

Banned
It's an impressive percentage. I've platinumed it but I regret doing so as it's not worth it, it's straight out of the ubisoft oven. Artstyle was nice and it was relaxing so GOT is a very good game to unwind your day.

SLB1904

Banned
Just curious why you feel this way? It was very pretty, but I don't remember feeling that it was particularly lived in.
Ghost of Tsushima was the samurai game i always dreamed of. i remember watching samurai movies and animes and think why no one makes a grounded open-world samurai game? the amurai games coming from japan always had some unrealistic things from the combat and story and the only thing left of a samurai is just the armor.

having said i like how the side quest in ghost are basically consequences from the main story, often open world games will give a side quest so long and boring unrelated to the main story that you end up forgetting whats the main mission.
the combat in this game is so stylish and smooth. i played on lethal and it blow my mind. instead of buffing the enemies and reduce your health. they kept everything as it is but increases everyone's damaged, brilliant.
the beauty... . this game is insanely beatiful. and because everything is dynamic you wont get the same scenary twice. the moon reflecting on the lake surrounded by red flowers and a thin fog.

anyway i took me a month to finish that game. is that good

Arun1910

I guess there a lot of "embarrassed" open world developers out there.
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man – 50.8%
  • Assassin’s Creed Origins – 38.2%
  • Far Cry 5 – 36.7%
  • Days Gone – 34.7%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn – 34.1%
  • Assassin’s Creed Odyssey – 30%
  • The Witcher 3 – 29.8%
  • Death Stranding – 28.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption II – 28.2%
  • Watch Dogs 2 – 24.9%
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – 19.8%
Community Reaction GIF
Look At Me Reaction GIF by Tricia  Grace

Was gonna say, people are so blind to this. The amount of people that actually complete open world games is really small. Not to mention game reviewers barely ever finish games before publishing reviews... but that;s another story.

The single player industry, meaning AAA, has been struggling creatively for years, decades really. That whole side of gaming is one big grift.

Getting your money takes precedence over everything else so they push all their chips towards the most cancerous aspects of gaming (graphics, marketing, FOMO, story, overeliance on IP).

Single player developers should have been asking themselves why players grow bored of their games. Instead, it's "How do we get their money".

I'm hopeful that things are changing though.
Honestly, what do you think should be an acceptable completion rate?

Do you realize that this includes everyone that has played the game i.e. borrowed, used copies etc.

Do you have any data of games that have done better?

Great Hair

Banned

GameCompletion
Last of Us II60.40%
God of War51.50%
What Remains of Edith Finch50.94%
Ghost of Tsushima49.40%
The Last of US39.70%
Uncharted 439.20%
Infamous Second Son37.90%
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order34.62%
Horizon Zero Dawn34.10%
Days Gone31.60%
Far Cry 531.28%
Rise of the Tomb Raider31.15%
Shadow of the Tomb Raider30.92%
Assassin's Creed Origin28.38%
Gears 427.85%
Titanfall 227.03%
Ratchet and Clank25.90%
Bayonetta23.63%
Anthem23.15%
Quantum Break22.86%
Mass Effect: Andromeda21.74%
Final Fantasy XV20.95%
Halo 520.91%
Doom: Eternal20.27%
Immortals Fenyx Rising18.98%
Doom18.64%
Killzone Shadow Fall17.70%
Call of Duty : Modern Warfare15.93%
Bloodborne15.60% (WTF)
Ori and the Will of the Wisp14.92%
Dead Cells14.43%
Ori and the Blind Forest14.26%
Carrion14.22%
Call of Duty : Infinite Warfare12.80%
Juton8.50%
Vampyr6.91%
Morkredd1.76%

source

Saber

Gold Member
Half the players grew too bored to finish it.

Congratulations?

A 50% finish rate should be an embarrassment for Sucker Punch.

To be completelly honest, most of players nowadays are saying that they're completelly bored of open world games. Also it's a new IP, it doesn't have the same weight as the well know IPs that are in the market for years now.
And to make your take even worse, you said that "people grew too bored to finish", when the completetion rate of this game is pretty high. If people were really bored with this game, they would have quit in the first few hours, so you might have to consider your "take".

Interesting thread. Seems like 65% of playstationers hated Bloodborne.

It's a souls game, thats pretty normal. Most of people either quit, rage or create threads demanding the game to be easier.

Last edited:
There seems to be an almost direct correlation between completion rate [%] and main story length [h]. As story length keeps increasing > completion rate drops.

Game Completion rate % Main story length in hours
Marvel’s Spider-Man50,816
Sukishima50,224
Assassin’s Creed Origins38,230
Far Cry 536,718
Days Gone34,738
Horizon Zero Dawn34,131
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey30,042
The Witcher 329,851
Death Stranding28,640
Red Dead Redemption II28,248
Watch Dogs 224,919

Exceptions being WD2 and Cry5, but that understandable, those are simply exceptionally low quality titles.

/fixed

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
That's an interesting conversation to have.
Still, the percentages seems to be the following:
  • The Last of Us 2 – 58%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake – 53.3%
  • God of War – 51.8%
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy – 50.3%
  • Detroit: Become Human – 49%
If anything, the failure is on the players not completing even linear, single player, story-driven games. But saying TLoU2 is a failure is kinda the opposite of what these number indicate, really.

And with this knowledge, the 50% of Ghost of Tsushima becomes even more impressive.

The Last of Us Ps3 = 39.6%
The Last of Us Remastered = 40.4%
The Last of Us Part II = 58% is a damn good value. But feel free to let your personal opinion speak against facts.

[EDIT]
The Last of Us Part II is at 60.6% right now.
Ok. Nevermind. Didnt say anything.

I guess there's still room for improvement on narrative games : /

wOs

Ghost of Tsushima was the samurai game i always dreamed of. i remember watching samurai movies and animes and think why no one makes a grounded open-world samurai game? the amurai games coming from japan always had some unrealistic things from the combat and story and the only thing left of a samurai is just the armor.

having said i like how the side quest in ghost are basically consequences from the main story, often open world games will give a side quest so long and boring unrelated to the main story that you end up forgetting whats the main mission.
the combat in this game is so stylish and smooth. i played on lethal and it blow my mind. instead of buffing the enemies and reduce your health. they kept everything as it is but increases everyone's damaged, brilliant.
the beauty... . this game is insanely beatiful. and because everything is dynamic you wont get the same scenary twice. the moon reflecting on the lake surrounded by red flowers and a thin fog.

anyway i took me a month to finish that game. is that good
Ahh I misunderstood what you meant. I don't disagree with the fun I had in the world. The last mission (pretty sure it was dead last) was to me exactly what I wanted. The choreography, story, gameplay all came together beautifully.

Kerotan

I was shocked by how high it is. I'm like 22 hours in and 70% of people have reached my stage. That's really high. TLOU2 was very high aswell. I believe it's above GOW and that game had a big completion rate.

https://www.ungeek.ph/2021/03/ghost...-rates-among-open-world-games-on-playstation/

TAKE THAT TLOUP2, go woke, completion rate broke

to anyone wanting to try this, tloup2 isnt an open world game you dumb neckbeard virgins
9319b6c1a4497cc4ab4391b56e0a936c8d36cd96.gifv

I'll write the same thing I always write in GOT appreciation or good results thread: way fuckin deserved, go go Jin and SP ❤ fantastic game

P. S
I fucking loved tlou, so wanted to end tlou2 too, but after the 8248838 flashback, slow walk in an acquarium, zoo or such I was close to hard drop that sequel lol

[Sigma]

Highest Platinumed percentage among Playstation 1st party games last gen too I believe.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Honestly, what do you think should be an acceptable completion rate?

Do you realize that this includes everyone that has played the game i.e. borrowed, used copies etc.

Do you have any data of games that have done better?

I'm not sure, but if half the audience is walking out of the movie theater before the movie ends, you've made a bad movie. I don't care how many tickets are sold.

I'm still hopeful that the next 5-10 years we'll see single player wake up from it's coma.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
So not only does TLOU2 destroy Flop of Tsushima in sales, reviews, and praise, but also competition rate!

60.6> 50
RIP generic open world

GOT is a really incredible game that is easy to pick up and play. Combat is satisfying and arcade like. The wind mechanic might get mocked as a gimmick but it is a good and unobtrusive way to do open world navigation. The game might not be the best technically but it uses art direction to terrific effect and is frequently a gorgeous game. It game has a lot of things going for wide range appeal. And if you play it on PS5 you can have that smooth HD 60fps magic.

Kumomeme

curious about japanese players number. wonder how well it doing at japan since people there seems very fond of the game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Paramount Network Luke GIF by Yellowstone
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

That movie isn't going to be 20 hours long.

So maybe it's closer to a season of TV where half the audience falls off. Maybe it's similar to a book where half the readership thinks it's not worth finishing. Or maybe it's a restaurant where you go a handful of times and think "Ya know what, let's never come back here again."

If game developers/publishers got paid based on completion rate, the industry would be far healthier. Instead, they profit off a business model where you hand them $60 and they do this...

I'm not impressed or surprised that so many grew tired of GoT. Single player AAA is in a coma.

Stuart360

To be completelly honest, most of players nowadays are saying that they're completelly bored of open world games.

No they are not, hense the huge sales of open world games. Fact is that most games have low completion percentage, even fantastic games.

EDIT. In fact look at the chart a post or two above your post for proof.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but if half the audience is walking out of the movie theater before the movie ends, you've made a bad movie. I don't care how many tickets are sold.

I'm still hopeful that the next 5-10 years we'll see single player wake up from it's coma.
Half the players grew too bored to finish it.

Congratulations?

A 50% finish rate should be an embarrassment for Sucker Punch. But they got your $60.00 which is how they measure success.
I'm amazed at the idiocy on display here and the only reason I'm interested in this thread is seeing more of your posts cause its entertaining as fuck.

Please good Sir, you may continue...

84806afeb5e20a1dd2374e95b62a5c2b.gif

GHG

Gold Member

And what do you say about multiplayer games that the vast majority of people try once and never return to?

MiguelItUp

I'm not surprised at all by this news, very well deserving too! GoT was one of the few games where I completed everything and combed the entire world. I had a great time with it. Honestly a LOT more than I thought I would.

Jesus Christ what is up with people coming in here to throw shade at GoT? Oddly enough hardcore TLOU2 fans. So bizarre to me. Especially to be going out of their way to do so, lmao.

Those takes are really interesting coming from a source that considers Fornite a "game of all time", I mean, to each their own of course. I just find it fascinating.

So maybe it's closer to a season of TV where half the audience falls off. Maybe it's similar to a book where half the readership thinks it's not worth finishing. Or maybe it's a restaurant where you go a handful of times and think "Ya know what, let's never come back here again."

If game developers/publishers got paid based on completion rate, the industry would be far healthier. Instead, they profit off a business model where you hand them $60 and they do this...

I'm not impressed or surprised that so many grew tired of GoT. Single player AAA is in a coma.

So you would assert that a 10 hour game that 100% of people played to completion and didn’t really like is good, devs should be proud. But an open world game that people didn’t finish but played for 40-60 hours before feeling that they had their fill and enjoyed the experience is an embarrassment?

NeoLed

So you would assert that a 10 hour game that 100% of people played to completion and didn’t really like is good, devs should be proud. But an open world game that people didn’t finish but played for 40-60 hours before feeling that they had their fill and enjoyed the experience is an embarrassment?
No no. He said a full priced game is an embarassment. Game pass is the way

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And what do you say about multiplayer games that the vast majority of people try once and never return to?

giphy.gif

Go to the restaurant with a packed parking lot and an hour wait out the door. Don't go to the restaurants where the kitchen staff is leaning against the counter with nothing to do.

Single player (AAA) are just trendy pop up restaurants that become a ghost town a week or two after the grand opening. They get everyone's money, customers quit after 7.5 hours (avg), then they promise to return with something even shinier three years later.

People don't play games they don't like. They play games they do like.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Maybe it is not like any of things, because video games are literally not like any of those things.

Welcome to the rabbit hole of contrived comparisons.

rabbit hole GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom