• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Of Tsushima II - Revenge of the Kahn [Sequel Wishlist]

So I'm playing the Iki expansion on the PS5 and it looks, feels, and sounds tremendous. Digital Foundry said it was subtle, but not to me - the combat feels so much more visceral with the DualSense implementation and 3D audio. And the higher resolution and clarity is immediately obvious. I will be grabbing the Director's cut for Death Stranding too, I'm sure it similarly looks and feels amazing.

As for the sequel? Ghost is an amazing new IP, but the main complaints revolve around the cookie cutter mission design and some of the side content. I will say that some of the side content was pretty amazing in how they fleshed out characters over multiple quests and even had those rad ancient tales culminating in receiving a new ability.

What I'd like to see:

1. More BOTW inspiration to world design. More traversal options, quicker/better animations, more upgrades. I'm sure that Horizon FW will be a nice template to look at. Additionally, more "secret" and "dynamic" things that happen, similar to BOTW or RDR2.

2. DUNGEONS. Yes. I'd like to see areas with elaborate puzzles culiminating in boss battles.

3. BOSSES. Moreso than in the first game, I'd like elaborage Souls-like boss encounters. This goes beyond the duels mostly featured in the first game. Something grounded but at the same time set-piece heavy.

4. Metroidvania type elements to the world - to further entice exploration. Would love to have more gadgets and things of interest to play around with.

Only bummer is that Ghost of Tsushuma is more grounded so that places some limits on what they can do creatively.

Kuranghi

1. is a must, that was my biggest disappointment, I wanted to find tons of secret stuff from exploring hidden areas and it did deliver that usually but the rewards were boring nearly half of the time (supplies)

edit - I also think they missed a trick by not giving you more flowers depending on how hidden the flowers were, during a shrine I would platform to what felt like quite hidden flowers sometimes and they might be a different colour but you still just get 1 every time. I would love if they actually had to be the colour you wanted and the white and black ones were really hidden, would make exploration so much more rewarding imo, but I can see why they didnt do that because for casual players it would be annoying.

4. would also really light my pipe, I was hoping the grappling hook would do that, bearing in mind I haven't done act 3 yet (starting tomorrow with PS5 update)

Great list, they should have contained the more fantastical stuff in explainable sequences (drugged, a dream, meditation trance) but I guess they did do that, but just in Legends mode.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Make it a "Ghost of" franchise, I honestly think it's a really good game but the setting does nothing for me.

Jin's story is now over and we move onto a new character in a new time period/setting, basically make it Sony's very own assassins creed but without being shit, and sign me up.

Last edited:
Make it a "Ghost of" franchise, I honestly think it's a really good game but the setting does nothing for me.

Jin's story is now over and we move onto a new character in a new time period/setting, basically make it Sony's very own assassins creed but without being shit, and sign me up.

I feel like that's what the series could eventually evolve into but I suspect they want another Samurai game on PS5 before branching out.

But I agree, there's so many great historical pieces they go with this. Would LOVE to see their take on Ancient Rome/Greece.

1. is a must, that was my biggest disappointment, I wanted to find tons of secret stuff from exploring hidden areas and it did deliver that usually but the rewards were boring nearly half of the time (supplies)

edit - I also think they missed a trick by not giving you more flowers depending on how hidden the flowers were, during a shrine I would platform to what felt like quite hidden flowers sometimes and they might be a different colour but you still just get 1 every time. I would love if they actually had to be the colour you wanted and the white and black ones were really hidden, would make exploration so much more rewarding imo, but I can see why they didnt do that because for casual players it would be annoying.

4. would also really light my pipe, I was hoping the grappling hook would do that, bearing in mind I haven't done act 3 yet (starting tomorrow with PS5 update)

Great list, they should have contained the more fantastical stuff in explainable sequences (drugged, a dream, meditation trance) but I guess they did do that, but just in Legends mode.

Yep. GoT felt way better than most open world game design but still lacked the polish and breadth of a BOTW. I hope they go for quality over quantity.

I suppose they could do the supernatural stuff through dream type sequences but the thing about that is that they always feel so limited, I'd rather have it more integral to the game design.

Kuranghi

Yep. GoT felt way better than most open world game design but still lacked the polish and breadth of a BOTW. I hope they go for quality over quantity.

I suppose they could do the supernatural stuff through dream type sequences but the thing about that is that they always feel so limited, I'd rather have it more integral to the game design.

Agreed, maybe you could have there be like a mist that causes changes in the open world, or you walk through an archway flanked by drug-incense sticks and don't realise til later you are out of your tits.

You go to a battlefield and the aforementioned mist is a visual metaphor for your mental anguish and you think your dead pals are rise up and berate you for failing them or just are being generally creepy by standing around looking sad while you travel through the area. The game seems to excel at the quieter moments and not having too much bombast so it would fit well imo.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

If they did a sequel, which ending choice would be canon?
Hmmm. Not sure. I wonder if they'll just avoid that question altogether and not really even mention much of what transpired in GoT 1.
Game Director Nate Fox said the true ending is that...

... Jin does not kill Lord Shimura. That's canon.

Nate also said he personally kills Shimura every time because its what the guy wants. But the real ending is Jin rejects the traditional code and spares his uncle .. (so his uncle can be in the sequel.)

time stamp 28:47

Last edited:

JoeBudden

I think that because Ghost is so grounded and realistic, they should simply focus on making the combat more visceral and complex. Add physics to everything. More interactivity with the environment. I want SP to re-define sword combat in action games, similar to how Insomniac made traversal feel so great in Spiderman and Rift Apart.

I already got faith in these guys to nail the story and everything else in the sequel.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

While I loved Tsushima and the setting, the rest I agree with completely and is what I believe Sucker Punch will do which is why they created the Iki Island expansion. To give people more of Tsushima before moving on to another time period and setting with their next game.

HotPocket69

Banned
So I'm playing the Iki expansion on the PS5 and it looks, feels, and sounds tremendous. Digital Foundry said it was subtle, but not to me - the combat feels so much more visceral with the DualSense implementation and 3D audio. And the higher resolution and clarity is immediately obvious. I will be grabbing the Director's cut for Death Stranding too, I'm sure it similarly looks and feels amazing.

As for the sequel? Ghost is an amazing new IP, but the main complaints revolve around the cookie cutter mission design and some of the side content. I will say that some of the side content was pretty amazing in how they fleshed out characters over multiple quests and even had those rad ancient tales culminating in receiving a new ability.

What I'd like to see:

1. More BOTW inspiration to world design. More traversal options, quicker/better animations, more upgrades. I'm sure that Horizon FW will be a nice template to look at. Additionally, more "secret" and "dynamic" things that happen, similar to BOTW or RDR2.

2. DUNGEONS. Yes. I'd like to see areas with elaborate puzzles culiminating in boss battles.

3. BOSSES. Moreso than in the first game, I'd like elaborage Souls-like boss encounters. This goes beyond the duels mostly featured in the first game. Something grounded but at the same time set-piece heavy.

4. Metroidvania type elements to the world - to further entice exploration. Would love to have more gadgets and things of interest to play around with.

Only bummer is that Ghost of Tsushuma is more grounded so that places some limits on what they can do creatively.

These are all terrible ideas. Why can’t this game just be its own thing? There’s already plenty of From, Zelda and Metroid shit out there. And the world is too grounded for that type of ridiculousness. Dungeons lol what the fuck 😂

Marty-McFly

Banned
The visuals are stunning and the combat is already great but combat can never be good enough, so expand on that further and add world detail and depth. The little things that bring the map life. They could turn into a serious GOTY candidate with the right direction.

These are all terrible ideas. Why can’t this game just be its own thing? There’s already plenty of From, Zelda and Metroid shit out there. And the world is too grounded for that type of ridiculousness. Dungeons lol what the fuck 😂

oh yah? There’s plenty of those games? Sure Jan

and I’m not saying making them a clone. The dungeons dont need to be zelda like, they could be ancient settlements, tombs, etc that are occupied by mongols with light puzzle type elements

works for tomb raider and god of war. Certainly a lot less played out than generic ubsioft design, and it’s a good way to introduce pacing breaks between combat.

screw your taste btw

Last edited:
More weapons.

Many more ninja and stealth options. The samurai combat is solid but they didn't seem to focus as much on in depth stealth gameplay with interesting tactics and level design.

Large towns.

Building interiors, not just being outside all the time.

More quest variety.

Mini games and side content like fishing and meaningful collectibles.

More training in the storyline from a master.

I feel like that's what the series could eventually evolve into but I suspect they want another Samurai game on PS5 before branching out.

But I agree, there's so many great historical pieces they go with this. Would LOVE to see their take on Ancient Rome/Greece.
So, Assassins Creed but from Sucker Punch?

I can roll with that.

I don't think this will work. The setting and art style with tons of flowers/grass in the wind were something special, AC has covered so many settings and times there won't be much left. Samurai in space maybe.

Last edited:

That might happen, but seeing how much the studio invested into this game. A sequel with upgraded systems is the way to go. The last game they released was a launch window PS4 game.

I would love for them to make a game set in the Shadow of the Colossus world.

I don't think this will work. The setting and art style with tons of flowers/grass in the wind were something special, AC has covered so many settings and times there won't be much left. Samurai in space maybe.
There’s so many settings and times. Idk what you mean. Aztecs vs Spaniards. Aka Ghost of Tenochtitlan. Ghost of Tippecanoe. Can keep using the GoT abbreviation.

GymWolf

In what world botw has better animations and secrets than tsushima?! Lmao.

They need to completely overhaul the stealth and enemy ia because as it is now it's utter crap, making the combat far more varied and challenging with the addition of new weapons and enemy types, add more depth to the stance system, improving the main plot/villain and get rid of those fucking precanned death animations for something more dynamic.

Stealth and combat are the priorities here, game need some serious balancements.

Also they need to cut off this honor bullshit a bit, it was already hilarious in the first game and samurai were probably the opposite of honorable fighters, and give jin a fucking personality.

Last edited:
There’s so many settings and times. Idk what you mean. Aztecs vs Spaniards. Aka Ghost of Tenochtitlan. Ghost of Tippecanoe. Can keep using the GoT abbreviation.
Of course you could use any time and setting, but it has to to be something for the massmarket. As much as i would like an Aztec setting in a game other than Age of Empire, i'm not sure it's for the masses and the rest from your link is even more special. Everybody knows ancient Greece, Vikings, Egypt, Pirates, Japan, Paris, New York, London and so on. I think Ghost will always stay in Japan.

GymWolf

If they are smart, sony is gonna start their own ghost series with different locations and protagonists like AC, time to steal some clients to ubisoft.

Jin story has already a decent finale imo and the protagonist itself is not exactly unforgettable (and mongols are quite frankly boring except for their nice armours)

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Yeah I agree. The next one should be either during the Sengoku era or the Bakumatsu; preferably the latter as far as I'm concerned. I dream of an imperialists vs shinsengumi game. In any case they need to improve combat further. Make it flow better, more fluid when fighting multiple enemies and reactive to the environment.

rolandss

This is its best feature, not a bummer. Completely sick of “samurai” games that are like playing a ridiculous anime on crack. The genre needed this game. There’s enough fantasy stuff around. If anything they should go harder on realism and make the world more grounded ala Red Dead 2 and have lethal one hit kills with better slicing physics that let you sever limbs and stuff, be more historically accurate and leave the “fantasy” to the legends mode multiplayer.

rolandss

Yeah I agree. The next one should be either during the Sengoku era or the Bakumatsu; preferably the latter as far as I'm concerned. I dream of an imperialists vs shinsengumi game. In any case they need to improve combat further. Make it flow better, more fluid when fighting multiple enemies and reactive to the environment.
Would love a realistic game where you play as the Shinsengumi

Two words: Nemesis-System
give it to me GIF

This is its best feature, not a bummer. Completely sick of “samurai” games that are like playing a ridiculous anime on crack. The genre needed this game. There’s enough fantasy stuff around. If anything they should go harder on realism and make the world more grounded ala Red Dead 2 and have lethal one hit kills with better slicing physics that let you sever limbs and stuff, be more historically accurate and leave the “fantasy” to the legends mode multiplayer.

Fair point.

It just makes Sucker Punch's job a little more difficult to provide the level of variety and engagement that can keep the title interesting for its sequel

I absolutely loved Ghost of Tsushima. But, my wish is there wouldn't be a sequel. Part of why I loved Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn was because they were new IPs. New IPs always interest me more than sequels.

I get why the industry thrives on sequels. They are usually cheaper than starting from scratch and are safer bets financially. But, I still prefer new IPs.

EDMIX

What I'd like to see:

I'm sorry James but you don't want a sequel to Ghost ,you fucking want a completely different game lol

I also disagree with being "grounded", you have many elements in the game that are complete fantasy, unless you telling me all those dream scenes where he is in another realm is some normal gounded idea or something.

Even the MP is literally an otherworldly type thing.

So even if its more grounded relative to some other game, imho...that is better to set it apart, vs begging for it to be a clone of another milked to death IP rehashing the same ideas generations later. I'm fine with what they left Ghost to be and don't feel the sequel needs to add any of what you stated.

We have enough games doing that shit....

I don't even want Ghost of Tsushima's sequel called "2" or about Kahn etc, let that shit die. Its literally about a thing that already happened, we going to clone this dude? Have 5 games where 5 of his brothers come to shore and be like "remember when you killed my bro? time for ROUND 4 BITCH" lol

Ghost Of Tokyo
Ghost Of Kyoto
Ghost Of Osaka
Ghost Of Hokkaido etc I'd rather they moved the fuck on and continue to tell new stories vs milk the same shit. They are telling the story of a setting of something that occurred already for a reason....

Sleepwalker Sleepwalker ok, see...I see I'm not the only one that was thinking that lol

@peter42O agreed, so many of us thought of this already lol

HotPocket69 HotPocket69 THANK YOU! Let that shit BE what it is.

Captain Toad Captain Toad I'd say I'm more so not open to a direct sequel as I didn't love the story, I didn't hate it either, but I felt that because its about an actual event, to even continue it is to then force the writers to make up a bunch of more shit lol

Last edited:

Valt7786

More outfits
More Weapons - Naginata, dual katana's, Staff etc. Just steal every weapon from Nioh 2 idc. (the realistic ones anyway, just a staff and scythe, not the transforming ones)
Collectibles meaning a bit more would be nice. Outfits, weapon skins, clothing etc.
Not finished Iki yet so dunno if they've put these in, but more arrow types. Only 2 for each when there's spaces for 2 more for each bow was a bit of a bummer.
Let me use the grapple a bit more freely, instead of just on certain points.

Bryank75

Banned
I want to have a boat that you might be able to upgrade and go from Tsushima to Iki and to the mainland.

It would be cool if you could do smuggling runs and stuff to make money and build a Ghost empire.

I want to be able to fish, gamble and drink sake.

We need a large town / city.

I'd like to see some influences from GTA and RDR.... if you are caught doing something illegal in the mainland, the Daimyo or Jito might send out Samurai to hunt you down... say if you didn't have your disguise on.
You might be able to take contracts as a Ronin or as the ghost.

Assassination missions where you might have to sneak into someones mansion and poison someone by dripping the poison down a string from above into their mouth as they sleep. Kinda Hitman inspirations to that aspect, it would give a massive variation to missions.

Maybe show Jin developing the way of the shinobi, the methods and techniques further.... with darker and more questionable methods always being added. Maybe he questions himself if he is going too far.

An expanded arsenal of weapons of course. Maybe you can fire a rope from one building to another with your bow and run across it to get around a town without being noticed.

Disguises should really work when you are in the right group and answer the right thing.

I'd be happy with a few of these, obvious asking for all of them is pure crazy.

HotPocket69

Banned
I’d like to see more weapon variety, new stances, longer/deeper and more memorable side quests (akin to something like the Baron’s in Witcher 3), and new types of ghost tools/gadgets. Oh and some black people.

rolandss

Of course you could use any time and setting, but it has to to be something for the massmarket. As much as i would like an Aztec setting in a game other than Age of Empire, i'm not sure it's for the masses and the rest from your link is even more special. Everybody knows ancient Greece, Vikings, Egypt, Pirates, Japan, Paris, New York, London and so on. I think Ghost will always stay in Japan.
There’s still so much they left untouched in the Japanese setting I would love a return. We basically got an open world of mainly trees and fields, with a few forts and scattered villages. It was beautiful and fun and suited the location, but love a move to the main islands of Japan, preferably later in its history, more urban environments in big cities, like Nara, Kyoto or Edo. There’s way more scope here in Japan and so many other historical events. Also the mongols (unsuccessfully) invaded Japan twice. I won’t be surprised if the sequel is playing as Jin fighting off the second invasion from Kyushu, but frankly I’d rather they move forward in time and go for a different period but in Japan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom