• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Sucker Punch Explain How They Made a Masterpiece (PlayStation Access)

chinoXL

played and finished the PS4 version on my 5 and now almost done with the directors cut...love this game, can't stop playing it..the combat story and characters are cool as hell

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
cover1.jpg

TonyK

I achieved the Platinum two days ago and even if I thought it was an incredible game during the first 2 acts, the third act in the snow region is so ugly and boring that my overall opinion has lowered to a simply "good open world game".

I've never got the hype for this game.

Like most of my favourite games last gen are Sony First party but is it just me who thought Ghost was just good?

Like it's 7/10.

It's fairly good at everything, but I wouldn't say it's great or anything.

It does what it says on the tin.

Aion002

It's a good game and an excellent beginning for a new ip.... But a masterpiece? Eh...

Amazing art, ok combat and incredible performance even on a base ps4.

I am a sucker ( :messenger_squinting_tongue:) for Sucker Punch since the first Infamous and I love Ghost of Tsushima... However, I had some issues with it: the quests are really boring, the combat is really at most fine (compared to Sekiro, Nioh, Soulsborne and even AC Odyssey it is lacking a lot to be great), the generic enemies are boring, the unique bosses are shallow and the "collect a ton" aspect gets old really fast.

But just like the first Infamous that I had a lot of issues with, I am sure that the GoT sequel will be amazing exactly like Infamous 2, which in my opinion is a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Urban

I don’t think there is another which captured the old Japanese culture like that. It’s incredible but I can understand everyone who thinks it’s just a average game.

For me it was one of the best open world games I’ve ever played.

Plus the VA of Jin is the same from Zoro
One Piece La GIF

Really the only two problems I have with the game are that the side quests get boring REALLY quickly and on higher difficulties the combat can be a pain in the ass. If you’re caught in a combat animation, like you’re killing someone and a big enemy just decides to smack you with their weapon there’s nothing you can do to cancel out of it. No rolling, no dodging, no i-frames. It’s a real kick in the knackers, buddy.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
But I feel the combat is better than 90% of those amazing and great games out there.

What would you class as great?
So far GOT is the "best" open world action game for me (i personally thinks that assassins creed games were ass), i just hope there are more variety of NPCs and side quest.
I completed the main story but I have yet to reach the DLC island yet.

Certinty

“Masterpiece”.

I loved the game but the AI is some of the worst I’ve come across in years for a big title.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ghost isn’t a complicated game and does things like story, character building and combat well which goes without saying is important.

Bartski

Gold Member
incredible game and the best coop multiplayer mode ever, playing it almost every day since the last update.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I just wish the game had more camps to clear, or more variety in fights when roaming the open world (and an actual world "simulation", not "same groups of 3-5 enemies appear nearby and disappear if you walk away").

Incredibly solid, polished, etc.. but just too much unskippable walking/talking sections, too many unskippable cut scenes, etc.

The unskippable stuff has had me not wanting to replay :(

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, i think the game is a masterpiece by todays standards but maybe not an all time masterpiece like MGS3, MGS4 or RDR2.

You have to start at the combat. It is quite spectecular when you are in a duel, but really comes alive when you are facing upwards of ten people and have to switch between stances to attack enemies and just cut through them like samurai. How many open world games have combat this good? How many non-japanese games?

Then there is the storytelling which is mostly ok until you get to the end of the 2nd act where it really sets itself apart, and then it's just a phenomenal ride all the way through to the end of the game. Amazing character development, fantastic cinematography and some really well done conclusions to every single storyline in the game.

Very few open world games manage to create a world this beautiful, and then have a great combat system and story to match. i dont think it's going in my top 10 games of all time, but it is definitely the top 3 of last year.

Withnail

At launch it was above average, post launch support has been exceptional, especially when they casually patched in a surprise co-op mode which also happens to be brilliant. I can live with them calling it a masterpiece.

Ozzie666

For me, I don't think I've have ever played a game where the developers passion and respect for the classic source material they are trying to pay homage to, is just so powerful. The game is a love letter to several things, and it shows in almost every aspect. Is the game perfect no? is it for everyone no? but you can't deny the devotion of the developers on this project. It's just such a high quality product and well balanced across different areas. To me it's a bit like Sonic Mania.

SpokkX

I’m five hours into the campaign and struggling to continue. It’s a beautiful game but just bland in every other aspect. Cool use of the DualSense though.

Death Stranding and The Last Guardian are the true PS4 masterpieces.
I am looking at tsushima

loved death stranding and last guardian but i hated, yes hated, miles morales.. thought it was a boring open world game with bad story

is this more standardvopen world or unique like death stranding?

PanzerAzel

I achieved the Platinum two days ago and even if I thought it was an incredible game during the first 2 acts, the third act in the snow region is so ugly and boring that my overall opinion has lowered to a simply "good open world game".
As someone who adores GoT (and while it doesn’t lower my overall opinion of the game), this is one criticism I completely agree with.

Up to the final area, the game does an incredible job of diversifying its environments and making each uniquely beautiful and distinct, making excellent usage of color and contrast. Then the final area is just covered with snow. Bland, dull….it all looks the same and is completely visually uninteresting. I kept losing motivation to keep playing endgame, and this is definitely a factor as to why. It’s almost like the developers were coming to the end of their work, had a new section to create, yet had busted their creative wad and couldn’t be bothered so just said, “ah, fuck it…..it’s winter!”

BaneIsPain

I’m just glad Sucker Punch do it first and better than Ubisoft. Kurosawa homage is excellent. Third time playthrough to max some armour.

Vaelka

Lol, not about Sucker Punch or this game in particular but this basically summarizes devs in the west perfectly.
I don't think that it's just games either it's also movies and I think it's just a marketing gimmick, Disney does this a lot too with patting themselves on the back about how great they are.
It's like instead of making games for people and then trying to win them over and actually respecting their support it's all like '' I made this amazing thing and you owe me peasant ''.

If you have to constantly tell someone how great you or your product is then it's probably not that great.
But a lot of people do fall for it and want to be part of it I think it actually works as a marketing gimmick surprisingly well.
'' Fear of missing out '' etc.

As someone who adores GoT (and while it doesn’t lower my overall opinion of the game), this is one criticism I completely agree with.

Up to the final area, the game does an incredible job of diversifying its environments and making each uniquely beautiful and distinct, making excellent usage of color and contrast. Then the final area is just covered with snow. Bland, dull….it all looks the same and is completely visually uninteresting. I kept losing motivation to keep playing endgame, and this is definitely a factor as to why. It’s almost like the developers were coming to the end of their work, had a new section to create, yet had busted their creative wad and couldn’t be bothered so just said, “ah, fuck it…..it’s winter!”

I think this is an issue with open world games in general, I'd rather take a smaller area or a linear game that is more '' designed '' for a lack of a better term.
Where every little piece of the area has been designed to look good.

Last edited:

ZehDon

'member when Sony did a "reveal reactions" trailer for TLOU2 as part of their official marketing? Yeah. It feels super tacky when you do it for your own game to hype your own game. Seems they haven't quite learned yet.

Withnail

'member when Sony did a "reveal reactions" trailer for TLOU2 as part of their official marketing? Yeah. It feels super tacky when you do it for your own game to hype your own game. Seems they haven't quite learned yet.
Playstation Access isn't Sony though.

It's the video equivalent of an "official" magazine. These things have been around for decades and while I wouldn't exactly call them impartial if they want to call a game a masterpiece that's their opinion.

ZehDon

Playstation Access isn't Sony though.

It's the video equivalent of an "official" magazine. These things have been around for decades and while I wouldn't exactly call them impartial if they want to call a game a masterpiece that's their opinion.
Ah, sorry, they're branded to look quite "official". My mistake there, I should've done my homework.

skit_data

It definitely scored a bit too low the first time around, the Directors Cuts metacritic score is more in lines with my experience if the game.

The part where
your horse dies
was really touching.

RyRy93

Decent story and combat and a stunning game to explore with nice little challenges sprinkled about the map, not a masterpiece but I enjoyed it more than GoW and Horizon.

MadPanda

Banned
I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. It was a good, enjoyable game with a somewhat unique setting and copy paste assassin's creed formula.

Top Bottom