• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon 2017's best selling game, 40% digital, 73% players co-op, For Honor #2

This is what a lot of people on Gaf have failed to accept about this game. Most people play games to enjoy with others and that includes buying games they may have passed over due any number of factors.

yep

I think The reviews are on point for Ghost Recon. The game has a ton of problems and mechanically is kind of shit compared to some of the other open world games we've gotten this year.
It's also the only one with co op and all the bullshit(in the good sense) that an online multiplayer sandbox would allow.

Ghost Recon???! Seriously? Come on, people! 👎🏾👎🏾 Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5 is way better than that game.

*sigh* whatever.....

There's many Open world RPG and many JRPG.

There's not a lot of Co-Op focused open world games.

Dunkley

For all its jank it's still one of the most enjoyable experiences I had in 2017, all thanks to co-op play no less.

Well deserved.

Raptor

Killing in this game feels very good, add to that coop in a big ass openworld taking down narcos?

All of mexico bought this game, Im waiting a sale myself.

DR2K

Banned
Honestly surprised both are doing so well. I guess good for Ubisoft? Not sure what this means for their upcoming merger.

Ghost Recon???! Seriously? Come on, people! 👎🏾👎🏾 Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5 is way better than that game.

*sigh* whatever.....

lol

As for the topic at hand, well done Ubi!

Watchdogs, The Division, For Honour, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, The Crew, Assassins Creed. They have become a bit of a mini monster publisher.

How much is it going to cost Vivendi to get that controlling stake?

Much of the negativity was from people who weren't going to buy it anyway. The game simply wasn't what they wanted. Meanwhile you've got people who were definitely on board, convincing other people to buy it so they can raise hell in 4-man co-op. Player word-of-mouth is how Ubisoft moves games like Ghost Recon or R6 Siege.

How much power does a mediocre review have in comparison to seeing half your friendslist having a blast playing a co-op game every night? In my case? None.
Maybe, but me and my group of friends were super hyped by the game and we all universally hated the beta and ended up not buying XD

It kinda surprises me there's so many people that liked, honestly though it would bomb hard.

____

Wildlands one of the most fun games I've played this Gen.

The co-op makes it so so much more worth it. More games should adopt it the way it's implemented here.

KageMaru

That sucks. Based on the demo, it was just another typical open world game with a sea of icons on the map, lacking substance. First ghost recon game I didn't pick up at launch.

____

*sigh* whatever.....

I absolutely loved HZD, but I play Wildlands infinitely more and have more fun with it.

It's a massive game and really well designed.

Xater

Mediocrity sells.

For Honor was at least pretty cool. Would still play it if the connection problems were not a thing.

What?! I surely thought Destructoid's 2.5/10 'scathing' review would sink this game!

I will say that Ubisoft did a good job fixing some of more egregious issues with the game pretty quickly (Silencing. That. Damn. RADIO!). They really need to get the PvP mode out there though if they want to keep people engaged. I want to see how they utilize the map size for smallish groups.

They've started "Weekly Challenges" which are nice, but are not that involved.

All that being said, the same game play loop is still entertaining a couple months later, and I find myself drawn back to it over anything else in my backlog.

The sound design in the game is really well done too

The 2nd big DLC is coming out at the end of the Month, though the first (Narco Road) was relatively poorly received (I still thought it was dumb fun).

Its a fun game when you get friends together. Really wish we got more PVP info though since none of the DLC really connects to the main game at the moment.

TheMan

Really didn't expect this news, especially for For Honor. I was sure that game had flopped. Just goes to show that GAF does not reflect the general market.

____

Not that anecdotal evidence means much but every single person who is part of my Destiny group is buying it digitally and the same thing holds true for the majority of the clan. Not only that but folks are buying the deluxe edition.

Also anecdotal but the group of 3 friends I play with (including myself) also all bought digitally.

Not on purpose, though, we were just too lazy to go to the store and decided we'd download it one night and play it the next morning.

If anything this just shows how far we are from reality. I never would've guessed either game would sell well as they both look pretty shitty. But apparently the general public wanted this more than BOTW, Horizon, Nioh, RE7, etc

geordiemp

How does Ubisoft have its fingers on the pulse of the gaming market so consistently?

They go from success to success, even in the face of so-so reviews.

Lots of focus testing or something?

Its because the 30 + reviewer who still likes Japanese RPG's and SP games is totally out of touch with the western market its laughably funny.

I know this is generalising but its been true for a while in my opinion, and if you estimate sales based on how good an online coop type game is in the west you will better predict sales in western markets (see GTA 5 online, COD , Destiny) for many games outside of the OUTSTANDING single player games, but even then they will be eclipsed by the good games you play with friends.

If anything this just shows how far we are from reality. I never would've guessed either game would sell well as they both look pretty shitty. But apparently the general public wanted this more than BOTW, Horizon, Nioh, RE7, etc

Pretty obvious to me, but allot on GAF and metacritic are stuck in their ways, teens today play in parties and tend to game together is my observation, they might drop out a day or 2 for a horizon type game but they are back online in no time.

Gurish

You can laugh and call me salty but this is really sad, it's a disgrace to see that the run by the numbers open world co-op thing beats all the great and unique games that came out this year.

wetalo

Mediocrity sells.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you didn't play Wildlands in co-op?

I booted up the beta with a friend, and ended up playing it together for four hours straight. Every mission had a virtually infinite number of possibilities to how you want to handle it, and the on-the-fly decision making, with a buddy, is something I never experienced before. It's a sandbox with co-op and just enough structure to allow for some real fun.

Xater

Pretty obvious to me, but allot on GAF and metacritic are stuck in their ways, teens today play in parties and tend to game together is my observation, they might drop out a day or 2 for horizon but they are back online in no time.

People here or reviewers have no qualms with games to play together, they just rather play really good ones. I rather play more Gears 4, PUBG or Overwatch than Ghost Recon. I can play those in a party as well.

I booted up the beta with a friend, and ended up playing it together for four hours straight. Every mission had a virtually infinite number of possibilities to how you want to handle it, and the on-the-fly decision making, with a buddy, is something I never experienced before. It's a sandbox with co-op and just enough structure to allow for some real fun.

All I saw was bad AI, that was easily exploitable by the systems the game provides. That was also easier than actually engage much in the bad shooting.

Both Ghost Recon and For Honor sales are quite surprising to me. I never hear about either of them and neither of them received remarkable reviews. Were there big ad campaigns for these?
Ubisoft knows how to tap into a pretty specific market, I have noticed. Pretty anecdotal, but I have a good friend that is into gaming, but isn't in tune with news, current events or niche games. He falls right in between "I play madden and call of duty" and "I have a neogaf account". He gets hyped for virtually every AAA Ubisoft game. My guess is that Ubisoft marketing reaches guys like him perfectly where as we are naturally aware, but have far more we can choose to focus on.

While I always like to see games succeed, it's a bit sad to see games I love like Prey, Dishonored 2, and Deus Ex fail while games that do nothing for me such as Ghost Recon, For Honor, The Division, etc. do amazing. I think I'm out of touch with the new market.

____

This is how I feel. Fun is fun. And the game is just fun.

Kill3r7

While I always like to see games succeed, it's a bit sad to see games I love like Prey, Dishonored 2, and Deus Ex fail while games that do nothing for me such as Ghost Recon, For Honor, The Division, etc. do amazing. I think I'm out of touch with the new market.

The immersive sim genre is not that big and has never been. By some miracle DEHR and Dishonored sold well at the tail end of last gen and publishers thought they would see massive growth this gen. That just is not the case. I love these games but they are significantly limited in their appeal.

Apocryphon

Surprising. I played the beta and thought it was dreadful. I guess open-world co-op really helped it sell. Probably why GTA V is still selling so strongly.

I expected a more finely crafted experience though. It feels weightless, the weapons and explosions feel weak, the physics are ass, the dialogue is laughable etc. Its the first GR game I didn't enjoy (eh... maybe Future Soldier was just as disappointing...). I'd kinda hoped for an open world GRAW 2 PC type game or something like ARMA.

Still, plenty of people on my friends list bought it so I might just give it another chance.

RedSwirl

People need to realize when they're living in a bubble.

All the talk online in the gaming world this season has been about Persona 5, Nier, Nioh, Yakuza, or Gravity Rush, but those games are still positively niche compared to the actual AAA stuff from Ubisoft or EA. Persona is definitely growing but it was never gonna be anywhere near Ubisoft's latest open-world shooter with probably millions of dollars of marketing behind it. I imagine Horizon and Zelda did a little better than the aforementioned niche games due to being massively pushed by first party platform holders. I'd like to think Prey did okay.

This probably adds more fuel to why Microsoft is avoiding small single-player games for its first party efforts and is instead focusing on bigger online-oriented games.

NewDust

... All the talk online in the gaming world this season has been about Persona 5, Nier, Nioh, Yakuza, or Gravity Rush...

People talk about Gravity Rush?
Let alone, buy it

Anyways had a ton of fun sofar with Wildlands. Perhaps not in the ways most people do, but having so many big provinces which are all diverse, I just treated it as a single player collect-a-thon, without it becoming stale.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I played a little bit of the game at a friend's house and it, uh, creeped me the fuck out. Like hardcore stereotypical South American drug dealer stuff. Americans spouting profoundly terrible dialogue and shooting brown dudes in the face over and over and over and over again.

I'm not surprised it did well.

Aeqvitas

Would love to see the platform split on these games. I wouldn't be surprised if they skewed disproportionately towards XB because it "had no games" this quarter.

Hopefully the more people who read this, the more will realize that the single player, story driven, exclusives are not anywhere near the driving force in the industry. Yeah those type of games can be fine million+sellers, but anyone seriously upset that the bunch of japanese games or the only high profile sony single player exclusive in almost a year since uncharted didn't dominate the entire market has some serious pondering to do.

Also this shows how out of touch giant bomb is, their coverage of wild lands was shameful. yeah the game has some dumb dialogue, but ask anyone who's served in the military and a lot of it is actually pretty spot on to how soldiers talk to each other. Also it is far from the main source of enjoyment of the game. Most rational human beings can not let "and baby makes three" be the defining point of their experience. You would think that games media, with all their resources and connections, would at least make an effort to form a party with fellow trusted journalists to try to see what kind of experience 75% of the players will have in a party. But that's too hard. Yeah, it's all just their "opinion", but when people see that most "journalists" make no effort to inform their opinions, it is what drives traditional games media into irrelevance as people would rather watch a live stream on twitch or youtube for a bit so that they can get a fair representation of what the game is actually like.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Yeah, it's all just their "opinion", but when people see that most "journalists" make no effort to inform their opinions, it is what drives traditional games media into irrelevance as people would rather watch a live stream on twitch or youtube for a bit so that they can get a fair representation of what the game is actually like.

You sound like a five star Amazon review of a Michael Bay movie.

RedSwirl

Oh, and Wildlands came out on three platforms unlike most of the other games we're talking about. Mots of those Japanese games were PS4-only, one also came out on PC, one only came out on Nintendo systems, and Resident Evil was multiplatform.

Most rational human beings can not let "and baby makes three" be the defining point of their experience. You would think that games media, with all their resources and connections, would at least make an effort to form a party with fellow trusted journalists to try to see what kind of experience 75% of the players will have in a party. But that's too hard. Yeah, it's all just their "opinion", but when people see that most "journalists" make no effort to inform their opinions, it is what drives traditional games media into irrelevance as people would rather watch a live stream on twitch or youtube for a bit so that they can get a fair representation of what the game is actually like.

Yeah, but whats the cartel want with boxes of Quinoa? Aeqvitas, whats your take on the cartel using the Quinoa Processing plant to smuggle coke? That sound right to you?

lcd

Excellent, absolutely loved playing Wildlands. 100% complete with 1300/1300 gamerscore and I still go back many nights just to infiltrate a base or two.

Looking forward to starting the campaign again with a harder difficulty and perhaps some self-imposed equipment/weapon limitations.

cyba89

*sigh* whatever.....

Only on GAF people expect an niche japanese school simulator exclusive to one platform to sell better than a AAA multiplatform third person coop open world shooter.

Adnor

Banned
Cool, I liked playing Wildlands in coop, I hope they improve the biggest problems, like the alert system and the super shields that are railings, when they do a sequel.

nOoblet16

When half of your active friendlist on whatever platform you play on is playing a game, those 70 review scores have zero impact. Especially because ANY game becomes fun in co-op but if a game is built for co-op and the design facilitates good co-op (a surprisingly rather rare feat these days) then it amplifies that fun by several factors. That is what Ghost Recon has over other games and this is why it has sold so well. And it completely deserves it because it expertly recognises what people want and builds a game around that need. Just how many open world co-op shooter can you think of in the first place ? Let alone one that is well made.

The people who are surprised and the people who bring games like Horizon, Zelda and Persona, as examples of games that should have sold better, need to get their head out of the sand and realise the reality. And no the reality isn't "people have bad taste" or "people buy shitty mainstream stuff". You can tell that to yourself if it makes you feel better but the reality is people like to play with their friends a lot because they prefer gaming to be a social experience.

Persona 5 is my favourite game ever but I'm not naive to think that it is a game that everyone would like, much less a game that everyone would want enough to outsell a well put together multiplatform co-op game.

Co-op wasn't enough to save a game that was inanely repetitive, I played through with friends in co-op but it was a mile wide and an inch deep. The Cartel was a huge missed opportunity for some dynanicism in the enemy. They were completely static does that never changed or reacted to the players actions. Basically it ended up being a co-op shooting gallery even on the hardest difficulty :/

pgharavi

Banned
Is it possible that Ubisoft is lying about these numbers in order to crush the spirit of Japanese game devs and thus have less competition?

If so, is that legal?

nOoblet16

Is it possible that Ubisoft is lying about these numbers in order to crush the spirit of Japanese game devs and thus have less competition?

If so, is that legal?
Donno about Japanese game Devs but it's certainly crushing the spirit of fans of those games on the internet.

Top Bottom