• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon 2017's best selling game, 40% digital, 73% players co-op, For Honor #2

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Announced in the Ubisoft call:
- Ghost Recon is the best selling game in 2017 so far, with For Honor being #2.
- Approximately 40% of sales were digital for both games.
- 73% of people played Ghost Recon in co-op, which is a record for Ubisoft.
- "Recurring investment" (season passes, DLC, microtransactions) are above expectations on the games as well.
- For Honor's first two months is going better than Rainbow Six's first two months.
- For the curious, Resident Evil 7 shipped 3.5 million, so both these games are above that. You could pretty safely guess 4-5+ million units.

Edit:

From the press release:

Solid performance in the fourth fiscal quarter:
- Number one publisher worldwide3 since the beginning of calendar 2017
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands, the industry's best-selling3 game since the
beginning of the year: the Ghost Recon community grew approximately 60%
- For Honor® – the industry's second best-selling game3

https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/...ingsEngfinal_tcm99-290721_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

150 170 hours into this game, and it's still fun.

Sales are well deserved, hope they get the PvP mode out soon though.

It's a really fun game and a blast in co-op.

Also in before posters who are surprised and posters who call it undeserving.

Both Ghost Recon and For Honor sales are quite surprising to me. I never hear about either of them and neither of them received remarkable reviews. Were there big ad campaigns for these?

ThisIsNeoGAF.gif

nOoblet16

It's a really fun game and a blast in co-op. It's basically Farcry Cartel with co-op. I REALLY like the fact that you can do any mission in any order in any area and pick up any attachment for any gun you want, makes it so easy to just drop in and play with anyone.

Also in before posters who are surprised and posters who call it undeserving.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Both Ghost Recon and For Honor sales are quite surprising to me. I never hear about either of them and neither of them received remarkable reviews. Were there big ad campaigns for these?

They had very successful betas and were designed quite well to be in tune with the market.

blakep267

You barely made it!
Just a disconnect between reviews and the real world.

Servbot24

Banned
They had very successful betas and were designed quite well to be in tune with the market.

Ah. I guess the other thing would be that I have no presence on Twitch (forgot it was a thing actually til just now), so I'm guessing they're fairly big there?

hobozero

With the resurgence of competitive shooters the past couple years, the co-op market is really under-served. Great to see this game do so well, might send a message that these games can make money.

With the resurgence of competitive shooters the past couple years, the co-op market is really under-served. Great to see this game do so well, might send a message that these games can make money.
Yup, although I'm not a fan of the game I'm all for coop making a return in a big way.

Rival

Gold Member
I didn't realize these games were as popular as they were. I wish I had friends that played online because I'd definitely give them a shot.

autoduelist

Well deserved, really. I had a blast with the game. It's fun solo [setting up 'sync' kills to go in stealth with the AI team] and with coop [both on teams that went stealth and loud, though i preferred stealth].

Phediuk

How does Ubisoft have its fingers on the pulse of the gaming market so consistently?

They go from success to success, even in the face of so-so reviews.

Lots of focus testing or something?

Foxxsoxx

Ghost Recon is the best selling title or Ubisofts biggest selling title?

Not going to lie that is shocking, there seemed to be no interest at all pre launch and a lot of negativity surrounded it both on forums and Youtube.

I redboxed it and did have a bit of fun but it wasn't a stable feeling game on PS4.

phant0m

It's kind of scary how Ubisoft has this shit down to a formula.

Ubisoft been doing the formula for a decade now. Just recently they figured out how to add online co-op to the mix.

I've actually been very happy with Ubi lately, enjoyed Division, Siege, and Wildlands. Hell, I even finished an AC game (Syndicate) for the first time since II.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Not going to lie that is shocking, there seemed to be no interest at all pre launch and a lot of negativity surrounded it both on forums and Youtube.

I redboxed it and did have a bit of fun but it wasn't a stable feeling game on PS4.

The industry's best selling title.

Kill3r7

Best selling title this year. It has even done okay in Japan.

Welfare

Big multiplayer titles already hitting 40% digital is crazy. The split for Destiny 2 is going to be something to look out for.

Rymuth

Curious what lessons Ubisoft will learn from this and apply to The Division 2. They clearly hit it outta the park with this one.

Kill3r7

Big multiplayer titles already hitting 40% digital is crazy. The split for Destiny 2 is going to be something to look out for.

Not that anecdotal evidence means much but every single person who is part of my Destiny group is buying it digitally and the same thing holds true for the majority of the clan. Not only that but folks are buying the deluxe edition.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Much of the negativity was from people who weren't going to buy it anyway. The game simply wasn't what they wanted. Meanwhile you've got people who were definitely on board, convincing other people to buy it so they can raise hell in 4-man co-op. Player word-of-mouth is how Ubisoft moves games like Ghost Recon or R6 Siege.

How much power does a mediocre review have in comparison to seeing half your friendslist having a blast playing a co-op game every night? In my case? None.

Wildlands is the first time in a long time that Ghost Recon felt like a Ghost Recon game.

It was fucking awesome all 170 hours of it, taking down all the bosses. The story and voice acting was hot garbage though.

Jesus, it was bad.

joecanada

runs great on pc. first game since ryse that I played on pc and went "damn". having a new 1060 doesn't hurt.
can run everything on ultra but prefer to go max for high fps . only stutters when network issues.

KodaRuss

For Honor's first two months going better than Siege's first two months isnt saying a lot. Siege took a while to get going.

You barely made it!

They're both fun as hell. Especially Ghost Recon. Crazy idea them boys and girls at Ubisoft are a havin! Makin fun games? Who knew!

DZ_b_EZ

Ghost Recon???! Seriously? Come on, people! 👎🏾👎🏾 Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5 is way better than that game.

*sigh* whatever.....

vareon

Ubisoft games, along with the likes of CoD and GTA, always felt something HUGE that keeps breaking record yet escapes my circle of friends. From my perspective it feels like the entire world was playing NieR and Persona 5. There's literally just one guy who's a Ubisoft fan and we (jokingly) ridiculed him for that.

LKSmash

Much of the negativity was from people who weren't going to buy it anyway. The game simply wasn't what they wanted. Meanwhile you've got people who were definitely on board, convincing other people to buy it so they can raise hell in 4-man co-op. Player word-of-mouth is how Ubisoft moves games like Ghost Recon or R6 Siege.

How much power does a mediocre review have in comparison to seeing half your friendslist having a blast playing a co-op game every night? In my case? None.

This is what a lot of people on Gaf have failed to accept about this game. Most people play games to enjoy with others and that includes buying games they may have passed over due any number of factors.

It may help that it also went on sale on EU PSN only two weeks after it came out, down to €50 from €70. That's actually a good price for a new game.

Last time I saw such a quick sale was with Watch Dogs 2, but that was a bit of a failure before it got lowered in price. I'm surprised that such a well selling game got a discount so quickly.

Kill3r7

Ubisoft understand the market better than anyone.

Sort of. They have taken their lumps this gen as well. AC and WD2 have not done exactly great but I believe that R6S provided them with a formula that works. They get little love on gaming forums but their games do the business sales wise.

Not that anecdotal evidence means much but every single person who is part of my Destiny group is buying it digitally and the same thing holds true for the majority of the clan. Not only that but folks are buying the deluxe edition.

With a game like destiny why would you buy physical?

Top Bottom