• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Online First Look (Wii U Footage, Free 2 Play PC/(Free?) Wii U Title)

AceBandage

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
I like how the controller gives you a top down view of everything. Will be great for planning out strategies.

Anerythristic

Feb 15, 2007
Ummm, am I mistaken or is this an announced Wii U/PC title? Talk about weird and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Threi

notag
Mar 22, 2007
going back to dual analog is such a disappointing downgrade in controller tech.

f0rk

Dec 31, 2009
So they have real games running on it, why didn't they show these in their conference? Would have made for a much more impressive reveal.

Orayn

Jul 4, 2010
Minnesota
Looks pretty freakin' cool. I'd love to have a Wii remote control scheme as well as the tablet controller, though.

Anerythristic

Feb 15, 2007
Shorty said:
it was announced during the conference.
Oh I know, I just think its funny that as far as I know right now its Wii U/PC. We have been hearing PS3/360/PC for five years.

MYE

Jul 20, 2009
The controller screen stuff is cool but meeeeehhhhhhhhh at these fucking Tom Clancy games

Threi said:
Cow Mengde said:
*sigh*

Dual analog aiming...

This too. Kill it with fire!

Hellsing321

Oct 1, 2007
It would be cool if you could use the bottom screen to draw routes and send those to your teammates to plan strategies.

Aug 19, 2006
Cow Mengde said:
*sigh*

Dual analog aiming...
There's nothing that stops the game from having an option to aim as if you're holding an abnormally wide Wii remote. Not sure how that would feel though.

sevenchaos

Banned
Jul 25, 2005
You guys think it'll be a free download and then microtransaction based like on the PC?

Anerythristic said:
Ummm, am I mistaken or is this an announced Wii U/PC title? Talk about weird and I don't mean that in a bad way.
It was announced as a PC game then randomly showed up during the conference this morning.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Apr 11, 2007
Wow, now that's pretty cool. I do there's pointing control options though. As nifty as the U connectivity is, To be able to have that off to the side while you do things with the pointer would be good.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jun 10, 2004
Italy
www.iwagglevr.com
I support those saddened by Nintendo apparently abandoning the whole pointing thing.
But you know what? PlayStation Move :p

;)

That said, I just can't stop thinking if I'd really be comfortable with having to look down at the controller from time to time while I'm playing on the TV screen. Hopefully implementation is sensible enough not to turn this into an annoying distraction. If you get what I mean.

Delio

Nov 27, 2007
Shorty said:
gotta love how everyone seems to be missing the pointer controls after years of LOL WAGGLE
Yes i to find that funny as hell. Ah well

Glix

Jan 28, 2008
New York
Green Scar said:
TOM CLANCY'S SMOOTH JAZZ ONLINE: GUY WITH HEAD IN THE WAY OPS

Yeah, looks cool. I like the use of the U's screen. Would be nice to see some Wiimote/Nunchuk action allowed though.
I laughed really hard at this.

Nice to see a real game running. I'm so curious about price and stuff.

Depending on the power of this thing, I think Nintendo is taking a risk waiting so long to release it. I think they are waiting ONLY to give 3DS its time in the sun.

Fenderputty

Banned
Apr 14, 2008
Cali
Threi said:

I'm not even into motion control, but it seems like an abandonment on what got em to where they are.

VerTiGo

Banned
Jan 10, 2005
You can use and are supposed to use Wii Motion Plus on this platform. Hoping for a confirmation...

Pointer controls and the Wii-mote are not being ditched in any way. Just waiting to hear something.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dec 5, 2008
Tuchanka
I don't think nothing will stop developpers from giving the Wiimote support to Wii U games.

The only question is, will they bother?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Jul 23, 2009
www.facebook.com
Well at least this controller will attract more FPSs.

Hopefully most of them will throw in optional pointer controls and/or the Sharpshooter setup they had in the concept video.

CommieCaptorS

Jan 21, 2009
South London
Green Scar said:
TOM CLANCY'S SMOOTH JAZZ ONLINE: GUY WITH HEAD IN THE WAY OPS

Yeah, looks cool. I like the use of the U's screen. Would be nice to see some Wiimote/Nunchuk action allowed though.
God knows how the guy was keeping his concentration with those sweet sax soundtracking his experience, would have been too much for me..

Nunchuck/Wiimote would seem unlikely if the game was to make any use of the tablet. Wonder if it will mandatory in any way

Cow Mengde

Banned
Dec 26, 2007
Graphics Horse said:
There's nothing that stops the game from having an option to aim as if you're holding an abnormally wide Wii remote. Not sure how that would feel though.
They better. What worries me is that since the Wiimote doesn't come with the Wii U, 3rd parties will neglect it.

Kenka

Feb 20, 2007
Switzerland
You can't tell much since the quality of the footage is below average but it seems that the framerate is inconsistent.

Also, there is no depth of field from what I saw. No tessellation. It tastes like Shader Model 3.0.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jun 10, 2004
Italy
www.iwagglevr.com
Bisnic said:
I don't think nothing will stop developpers from giving the Wiimote support to Wii U games.

The only question is, will they bother?
It really depends on if the Wiimote is bundled. Reading this my guess is not.

Wii U combines motion-sensing gameplay with the ability to support full HD graphics. Each Wii U console will be partnered with a new controller and can also use up to four additional Wii Remote™ or Wii Remote Plus controllers.

Tom Penny

Oct 19, 2007
US
By the time you look down at the map your dead. What's wrong with a small map on the screen. It's only worked forever?

Anton Sugar

Jul 26, 2007
Tom Penny said:
By the time you look down at the map your dead. What's wrong with a small map on the screen. It's only worked forever?
Your map on the screen isn't 6 inches. Give better view, can see more.

Technically, it's not very different than pressing pause or a button for the map. Except now you have a button freed up and the possibility of interacting with the map itself.

Glix

Jan 28, 2008
New York
Tom Penny said:
That is so asanine. Great things come when you challenge what has worked forever. Not saying that I love the map on the controller, but I still disagree with the gist of what you are saying.

Dec 27, 2007
Akron, OH
Threi said:
Do we know the games would require it? Maybe you can still use Wiimote and use the tablet in front of you/on your lap for the map (or whatever else). I know I know, that's an ounce of extra work so who knows if Ubisoft and other 3rd parties would do it, but I wouldn't get too worried until things are definite.