• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Online First Look (Wii U Footage, Free 2 Play PC/(Free?) Wii U Title)

Kevin

I wonder how the Wii's online infrastructure will turn out. Supposily they will be talking about it sometime this week during E3. I do have some hopes for it seeing how this Ghost Recon title is focusing on online play.

I was expecting an MMO where you play as Tom Clancy in a world of Tom Clancys, playing out the plots of Tom Clancy novels.

f0rk

So they have real games running on it, why didn't they show these in their conference? Would have made for a much more impressive reveal.

Orayn

Looks pretty freakin' cool. I'd love to have a Wii remote control scheme as well as the tablet controller, though.

kamspy

Green Scar said:
I was expecting an MMO where you play as Tom Clancy in a world of Tom Clancys, playing out the plots of Tom Clancy novels.

That needs to be an Obsidian game. I'd preorder it today.

MYE

The controller screen stuff is cool but meeeeehhhhhhhhh at these fucking Tom Clancy games

Threi said:
going back to dual analog is such a disappointing downgrade in controller tech.
Cow Mengde said:
*sigh*

Dual analog aiming...

This too. Kill it with fire!

You guys think it'll be a free download and then microtransaction based like on the PC?

Anerythristic said:
Ummm, am I mistaken or is this an announced Wii U/PC title? Talk about weird and I don't mean that in a bad way.
It was announced as a PC game then randomly showed up during the conference this morning.

TOM CLANCY'S SMOOTH JAZZ ONLINE: GUY WITH HEAD IN THE WAY OPS

Yeah, looks cool. I like the use of the U's screen. Would be nice to see some Wiimote/Nunchuk action allowed though.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Wow, now that's pretty cool. I do there's pointing control options though. As nifty as the U connectivity is, To be able to have that off to the side while you do things with the pointer would be good.

RedSwirl

AceBandage said:
I like how the controller gives you a top down view of everything. Will be great for planning out strategies.

That's what I've always wanted to see in a tactical shooter, like the original Ghost Recon had.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I support those saddened by Nintendo apparently abandoning the whole pointing thing.
But you know what? PlayStation Move :p

;)

That said, I just can't stop thinking if I'd really be comfortable with having to look down at the controller from time to time while I'm playing on the TV screen. Hopefully implementation is sensible enough not to turn this into an annoying distraction. If you get what I mean.

Glix

Green Scar said:

Yeah, looks cool. I like the use of the U's screen. Would be nice to see some Wiimote/Nunchuk action allowed though.

I laughed really hard at this.

Nice to see a real game running. I'm so curious about price and stuff.

Depending on the power of this thing, I think Nintendo is taking a risk waiting so long to release it. I think they are waiting ONLY to give 3DS its time in the sun.

VerTiGo

Banned
You can use and are supposed to use Wii Motion Plus on this platform. Hoping for a confirmation...

Pointer controls and the Wii-mote are not being ditched in any way. Just waiting to hear something.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't think nothing will stop developpers from giving the Wiimote support to Wii U games.

The only question is, will they bother?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well at least this controller will attract more FPSs.

Hopefully most of them will throw in optional pointer controls and/or the Sharpshooter setup they had in the concept video.

Green Scar said:

God knows how the guy was keeping his concentration with those sweet sax soundtracking his experience, would have been too much for me..

Nunchuck/Wiimote would seem unlikely if the game was to make any use of the tablet. Wonder if it will mandatory in any way

Graphics Horse said:
There's nothing that stops the game from having an option to aim as if you're holding an abnormally wide Wii remote. Not sure how that would feel though.

They better. What worries me is that since the Wiimote doesn't come with the Wii U, 3rd parties will neglect it.

Kenka

You can't tell much since the quality of the footage is below average but it seems that the framerate is inconsistent.

Also, there is no depth of field from what I saw. No tessellation. It tastes like Shader Model 3.0.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bisnic said:
I don't think nothing will stop developpers from giving the Wiimote support to Wii U games.

The only question is, will they bother?

It really depends on if the Wiimote is bundled. Reading this my guess is not.

Wii U combines motion-sensing gameplay with the ability to support full HD graphics. Each Wii U console will be partnered with a new controller and can also use up to four additional Wii Remote™ or Wii Remote Plus controllers.

DarkWish

Cool, that's a video from our site, two of our guys are there. I wish I could have gone too. Anyways, definitely looks pretty good from the video.

Tom Penny

By the time you look down at the map your dead. What's wrong with a small map on the screen. It's only worked forever?

Tom Penny said:
By the time you look down at the map your dead. What's wrong with a small map on the screen. It's only worked forever?

Your map on the screen isn't 6 inches. Give better view, can see more.

Technically, it's not very different than pressing pause or a button for the map. Except now you have a button freed up and the possibility of interacting with the map itself.

Glix

Tom Penny said:

That is so asanine. Great things come when you challenge what has worked forever. Not saying that I love the map on the controller, but I still disagree with the gist of what you are saying.

Threi said:
going back to dual analog is such a disappointing downgrade in controller tech.
Do we know the games would require it? Maybe you can still use Wiimote and use the tablet in front of you/on your lap for the map (or whatever else). I know I know, that's an ounce of extra work so who knows if Ubisoft and other 3rd parties would do it, but I wouldn't get too worried until things are definite.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mr. Snrub said:
Your map on the screen isn't 6 inches.

Doesn't matter. When I'm playing a shooter I need to be focused on the action all the time. Having to look down to check the map would be terrible.

Top Bottom