• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Closed Beta Discussion Thread

At a quick glance, this looks like it might be similar to MGS5 gameplay. Is that accurate?

I played about 3 hours of the beta yesterday, and the entire time I was thinking on how much better it would be if it played like MGS5 ( movement, stealth, gunplay ) . Unfortunately Wildlands doesn't feel like like that at all, character movement is stiff, and gunplay is decent.

Playing single player and commanding the Team AI should have been something like Brothers in Arms.

Played through all the Beta content. So here is my thoughts.

- Loved the gun-play personally and really love the customization ability with your loadouts. Looks like there is a ton of weapons to acquire in the full version.

- Loved the map. Thought it was fairly interesting and beautiful. Enjoyed getting into firefights in towns and having to avoid townsfolk.

- Loved the drone! Very cool addition and fun. Launching motor strikes or setting up and initiating sync strikes was fun as hell. Once you get the hang of it, i could see it be borderline OP lol.

- AI teammates were okay. I told them to breach, they would do it and clear out a building. I told them to shoot from a vehicle, hold back or whatever they would do so. Simplistic, but it worked for me.

- As a lot of people said, vehicles need some work. I found them floaty and awkward. Motorcycles to me were crazy to use, almost on a comical level. Like strapping a rockets between your legs lol. Helicopters were odd too. I had this weird problem where when trying to move forward, the nose of the chopper would try and continuously point upwards.

- Lack of mission variety. Most of it seemed, Go here, clean these people out..tag this equipment and get info. Now this was only a small part of the game, so maybe the rest will be different? I have to say, i thought the missions to run convoys off the roads, or steal helicopters/planes/vehicles i had a lot of fun with though.

- Character animations were a little wonky in cut-scenes. Not much else to say about that.

- Enemy AI needs tweaking. There was times i could sneak up to an enemy and grab them in broad daylight. Then other times were my team and i would be prone crawling towards an objective in the middle of the night through thick grass and we would be spotted from say 200 yards away? Not sure what sets that off?

- Command wheel i feel needs to be tweaked as well. There were times when i would try and scroll over a command (played on PS4) with the controller and the highlight would just keep passing over the command i wanted. Or sometimes wouldnt move at all. or be delayed in moving.

Have to say despite its quirks, i had fun with it though. And with a few adjustments could be a solid game. I know PVP is kinda up in the air with this game, but i imagine a 4 vs 4 team deathmatch or hardpoint mode could be a blast on this map (not without adjustments to the drone though in my opinion to balance things however).

I probably will pick this up. But not at launch. It comes out like a week after Zelda and Horizon, so ill be busy with those. But in the summer when releases slow down for me, id probably pick this up.

Tecnniqe

Banned
That day night cycle tho

Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-cx6q9t.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-cydr6v.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-cynqhc.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-cjgo68.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-c4wpqh.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-cqfrwv.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-c3zrio.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-c14qt4.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-cjkr7f.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ghostreconwildlands-cdwr1h.png[/IMG]

SJRB

Gold Member
tomclancysghostreconwfwj3r.png

And with that I think it's time I stop playing the beta.

I did all there is do to - did every mission and sidemission, discovered every location. Unlocked many of the skills I wanted to check out, customized my assault rifle in a way I like.

It's too bad neither the site nor the game keep track of total playtime, because I have no doubt it's about 15 hours now, if not longer. I really, really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see and explore the full map. It's going to be awesome.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/tomclancysghostreconwfwj3r.png[/IMG]
And with that I think it's time I stop playing the beta.

I did all there is do to - did every mission and sidemission, discovered every location. Unlocked many of the skills I wanted to check out, customized my assault rifle in a way I like.

It's too bad neither the site nor the game keep track of total playtime, because I have no doubt it's about 15 hours now, if not longer. I really, really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see and explore the full map. It's going to be awesome.

Total playtime is listed under "Top Players" in the Task Force tab :)

Ont

I actually appreciate how unceremonial that "bossfight" was.

When I approached the compound and noticed the jeep and helicopter conveniently placed I C4'd them just in case the enemy would use them as getaway vehicle and I was supposed to go on some crazy chase. Because that's totally what I expected.

Those two people are filth. You enter their fucking insane torture dungeon, you kick down the door, shoot two rounds in their head and leave. One and done. Remember, those two are nobodies to you. Killing them was personal for the CIA agent, but not for you. It's just business, it doesn't have to be this sick finale with Mad Max Fury Road chase sequences or waves of enemies storming a compound for an epic shootout.

I fully agree with this statement. Real life black ops missions are not carefully written GTA/Call of Duty action sequences. Most of the time you are probably going to find your targets in a toilet or sleeping.

Having said that, the open world randomness of this game does generate some pretty amazing moments which are more enjoyable to me than Call of Duty bullet sponge going against a full division of enemies on mission.

I'll spend more time with it before I state it with confidence, but my first impression is that it's not traditional input lag. Your initial input registers fine... it's just not consistent across the stick. There's a transition that happens, into very heavy acceleration on the back-end.

I'm super sensitive to this stuff unfortunately. Wish I wasn't. It really didn't feel like normal input lag.

There's definitely an element of input lag as well as just generally poor controls. You can flick the stick quickly and it will finish moving a second or so after the input. Significantly, this delay also affects driving and character movement.

It's also inconsistent in how it controls, yes, the acceleration and other areas feel weird. In general it doesn't feel as if they've put much consideration into the 'game feel' on console (not sure how it is on the X1).

I was able to have fun with it with the people that I played it with, but two of the three uninstalled it afterwards. I could see myself having fun with it but we all agreed that fundamentally it needs better control and better AI (friendly and enemy) to be more fun than it is right now.

Playing on PC and I generally like using a controller for games like these with lots of land + aerial vehicle use. In switching back and forth from trying out mouse/keyboard vs controller I do notice what feels like considerable input lag while controlling a vehicle with a controller comparatively to a mouse/keyboard setup. Nothing to do with said input lag but I lowered the vehicle camera sensitivity with the controller which helps out with the overall feel a bit.

The more and more I play it the more it grows on me and the world is going to be huge in the main game thus making the topic of travel a big one especially if vehicle control/use isn't improved. That said, going on foot is rather quick as your character can seemingly climb, roll, etc over just about anything.

These are the initial missions in the game so I would imagine there will be some added depth and hopefully a lot more variety to them as well.

I doubt it will happen but I would like to see another Beta before release similar to what The Division did last year with hopefully improved vehicle handling and what feels like a more polished experience overall.

I'm probably in for the game world atmosphere, character&weapon customization, and co-op open-world tactical gameplay alone.

Edit: Question for those who played two player co-op, did you have two AI companions or was it just two human controlled players? Hoping for the latter.

Kyle549

What happens if you've played through a few missions and then you play co-op with someone who is playing for the first time?

How do the missions come up (i.e. completed or not)?

Tecnniqe

Banned
What happens if you've played through a few missions and then you play co-op with someone who is playing for the first time?

How do the missions come up (i.e. completed or not)?

For them it will show their progress and for you it will show yours.

Mr. F

Banned
Played for a few hours with friends and that really feels like the only way to do it. It definitely was hindered by straight up boring mission design, dodgy gunplay, poor vehicle handling, etc. In general wasn't really feeling it, the whole thing feels aggressively average like a lot of ubi stuff

Arol

Game is fun with friends or people that are into it otherwise don't really have fun with it solo.

Probably still get it but it's riding on a friend to get it also.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I think this build is at least a month old.

Well, at least.

Some things seem to be placeholders while glitching out of the map everything is very low quality and missing more or less everything.

Seems like a tech test area to see if things work or not.

ducksauce

Can someone send me an invite? I signed up first day but still didn't get in.

Ubi name is pixelpushr

Would very much appreciate it!

Tecnniqe

Banned
The Community Manager have been talking on Discord with some members and;
8Sa7num.png

make of it what you want
Can someone send me an invite? I signed up first day but still didn't get in.

Ubi name is pixelpushr

Would very much appreciate it!

No Ghost Profile found... with the name pixelpushr

SomTervo

Had a bloody amazing sesh tonight. With three close friends.

Two are total griefers and trolls who are hard to play with. Love crashing vehicles (into walls, enemies, friendlies, you) and generally causing havoc.

The other friends is a slow silent type who just snipes.

And guess what? Enemy awareness locks to each player individually. So while my two griefer pals were being chaotic and getting in huge fights, i was just playing MGSV: parachuting into a base unseen, popping heads from a rooftop, hopping down and sneaking to the objective, interrogating a guy - while in the background all hell breaks loose.

It was fucking awesome. It was like MGS 4 meets MGS V. A warzone with me sneaking through it and getting shit done. Only the warzone was dynamic and caused by coop friends who didn't g.a.f.

Only 1 request there and it was not from AngryPuppeh :3

I did however approve the one request.

Cheers, think I'm in now. Doesn't seem to be reflected in-game yet, I've found everything around the GR Network a bit screwy. Good to get it sorted before launch anyway.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Had a bloody amazing sesh tonight. With three close friends.

Two are total griefers and trolls who are hard to play with. Love crashing vehicles (into walls, enemies, friendlies, you) and generally causing havoc.

The other friends is a slow silent type who just snipes.

And guess what? Enemy awareness locks to each player individually. So while my two griefer pals were being chaotic and getting in huge fights, i was just playing MGSV: parachuting into a base unseen, popping heads from a rooftop, hopping down and sneaking to the objective, interrogating a guy - while in the background all hell breaks loose.

It was fucking awesome. It was like MGS 4 meets MGS V. A warzone with me sneaking through it and getting shit done. Only the warzone was dynamic and caused by coop friends who didn't g.a.f.
How can one have so much fun in a game with no redeeming quality?
/s

Cheers, think I'm in now. Doesn't seem to be reflected in-game yet, I've found everything around the GR Network a bit screwy. Good to get it sorted before launch anyway.

Yep you're in.

Finished the main missions. Was a fun experience with friends. Once you get the hang of sync shots in solo and commands it works well. My opinion with so many games releasing close to this would be to wait on this title. Hopefully they have a good pvp in place because i dont see the longevity of this title lasting.

Lanrutcon

How can one have so much fun in a game with no redeeming quality?
/s

Yep you're in.

Game has plenty of redeeming qualities.

They're just coated in a layer of mediocrity mixed with shitty performance issues and The Division comparisons.

I am still hopeful that the release will be great and that the beta is a 7 month old version with no optimization, vehicle handling programmed by an intern and 50 hours worth of interesting mechanics cut as to not ruin the surprise.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Game has plenty of redeeming qualities.

They're just coated in a layer of mediocrity mixed with shitty performance issues and The Division comparisons.

I am still hopeful that the release will be great and that the beta is a 7 month old version with no optimization, vehicle handling programmed by an intern and 50 hours worth of interesting mechanics cut as to not ruin the surprise.

Of course it does, after all I put 10 hours into it.

Some stuff do seem like placeholder things and I hope that's the case but we wont really know. Also TD comparisons make me shake my head. How does it even compare to that game?

Got it a bit more expensive on Steam for this reason, Deluxe at no additional cost and the ability to refund should it be needed.

UrbanRats

I like the vehicles (everything except for the helis which are bad, mostly for the control scheme, rather than bad physics).
Bikes in particular are the best in an open world game after gta, imo.

Ephemeris

It's funny, still having issues requesting an invite to the Gaf group.

It re-routes to another Task force (that's amusingly in french).

Bikes in particular are the best in an open world game after gta, imo.

I scaled the side of a steep mountain on the bike.. it was hilariously awesome.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's funny, still having issues requesting an invite to the Gaf group.

It re-routes to another Task force (that's amusingly in french).

I scaled the side of a steep mountain on the bike.. it was hilariously awesome.

FRENCH IS STEALING GAFS TASK FORCE!?!

TheMan

was not impressed, i think largely because my pc is about due for an upgrade and i needed to allows shit graphics settings to get a decent framerate. It's a blend of GR future soldier and mercernaries. Something about the animations and the missions themselves just screamed mediocre to me though.

Ephemeris

Considering the game neither of those are a downside right now, as the AI itself do voice callouts and tagging :)

Sent.

Sure I already did send you one, but here we go again.

still nothing. Also I just learned that depending on what platform you have selected in the top right (when you click on your profile pic), invites/applications can be different.

On PS4, my GAF application goes to a french group with 1 member.
Xbox, goes to someone else.. also 1 member.

I considered making a task-force with a reverse GAF like XOF is to FOX.. but that was immediately a bad idea.

Tecnniqe

Banned
still nothing. Also I just learned that depending on what platform you have selected in the top right (when you click on your profile pic), invites/applications can be different.

On PS4, my GAF application goes to a french group with 1 member.
Xbox, goes to someone else.. also 1 member.

I considered making a task-force with a reverse GAF like XOF is to FOX.. but that was immediately a bad idea.

Wait.. So is the current one locked to PC?

UrbanRats

Considering the game neither of those are a downside right now, as the AI itself do voice callouts and tagging :)
I figured pad is fine if the people you're playing with aren't too demanding, but the headset is pretty crucial if you want to coordinate a minimum, like combined attacks, entering from different points, stuff like this.

By the time the game is out I'm thinking of getting even two copies and two headset so I can do pseudo LAN.

SomTervo

was not impressed, i think largely because my pc is about due for an upgrade and i needed to allows shit graphics settings to get a decent framerate. It's a blend of GR future soldier and mercernaries. Something about the animations and the missions themselves just screamed mediocre to me though.

The game is demanding and the beta is poorly optimised

Hopefully fixed up before launch

Top Bottom