• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

0racle

Hey guys,

Correct me if wrong, but I think it's live now. I can't wait to hear impressions from some new players!
and hopefully improvements from the closed beta

Hystzen

It seems have a new area thats high difficulty not sure as i didnt get play closed. I been doing bit mess around past 40 mins not liking the controls for vechiles and AI team is wonky at times

Quirah

that driving controls... I didn't spend lots of time, gonna check again tonight. just 30 mins in but I wouldn't and won't give $60 to this game.

Xater

I mean it's still going to be the same mediocre game, but I needed to see if they at least fixed the embarrassing input lag of the closed beta.

Nope, it's still there.

Skyzard

Banned
I played the closed beta and just spent an hour and a half playing the PC open beta.

I was keen on getting it but coming back to it, I'm not so sure. Probably not at launch most likely.

The graphics are decent (on my setup), driving controls aren't that bad (a little loose), except the helicopter which kinda sucks but it's not a huge issue. Gunplay is pretty great and bullet drop is nice. Mission structure is pretty typical open world jazz.

I remember having more fun in the closed beta, I think it's because I spent most of the time playing with others, and it was fresh then. I've been in the mood to play solo now and it's okay for a little while, but nothing special. I've been playing on the second hardest difficulty and it's not really challenging. I'm going to try bumping it up to max and giving solo a go again later today.

But so far, it's pretty meh.

About performance:

On a 980ti and i7 4770k @ 4.4GHz, I can't really get locked 60, even at 1080p. It drops down to the 50s often. I tried adjusting settings I was willing to compromise on and it barely made a difference. I'm not losing temporal AA because it looks like trash without it.

I only crashed once - after changing the settings a lot. But otherwise not had the many blue screens I had during the closed beta - so far anyway.

Is it locked to 30 the PS4? I can't imagine this being a 60fps title, even on the Pro. Unless they've just not bothered with the PC version.

Joeku

After what little I've played I'd call it a gas station ham sandwich of a video game, but on either side of the gas station are delis that are selling much healthier, tastier sandwiches for the same price.

0racle

After what little I've played I'd call it a gas station ham sandwich of a video game, but on either side of the gas station are delis that are selling much healthier, tastier sandwiches for the same price.

That seems like quote fit for the review thread lol.

I mean it's still going to be the same mediocre game, but I needed to see if they at least fixed the embarrassing input lag of the closed beta.

Nope, it's still there.

Yup, measured it again on ps4, same +-11frames of input lag 166ms.

thats unplayable for me personally

FatalT

Banned
I'm having a blast. Been playing it since it went up at 6:00 AM and basically did everything I did in the Closed Beta. After you complete the 6 missions you unlock the new area and get a large resource and XP bonus to help you there since it's a 5 skull zone. There's 5 missions in this area but I just got to it so I dunno what to expect yet.

The car physics are so messed up that I managed more spins driving to the mission than the James Corden insurance advert & then had no issues sprinting full speed through an outpost meleeing every single enemy without resistance. This wasn't on the hardest difficulty but it was above normal.

Open world looks great, but the gameplay mechanics are serviceable at best, like every Ubisoft game. It doesn't have the fun factor of Just Cause, the polish of MGSV or the tactical elements of the older Ghost Recons or an Arma game. It's not a bad game though, just the usual type of product everyone will rave about for the launch weeks before forgetting entirely about it.

I been doing bit mess around past 40 mins not liking the controls for vechiles and AI team is wonky at times

it's quite wonky :D and civilian AI is dumb as bricks. Can't get over that that ever since i think GTA3 cars had the ability to go around obstacles on roads.

Here they just all line up and wait forever or the obstacle to clear the road to be able to keep driving :p

Hystzen

it's quite wonky :D and civilian AI is dumb as bricks. Can't get over that that ever since i think GTA3 cars had the ability to go around obstacles on roads.

Here they just all line up and wait forever or the obstacle to clear the road to be able to keep driving :p

I started a fire fight in a village and civillains just stood and watched. i was being way to generous using term wonky

glaurung

I started a fire fight in a village and civillains just stood and watched. i was being way to generous using term wonky
I found the enemy AI pathing way worse.

When one enemy spots you, he/she telepathically informs half the globe as to where you exactly are. Every other enemy will then fire directly at you. That's just bullshit. You can handle it with regular enemies, but those purple fucks will wreck you mercilessly. They also follow you for miles.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably the lowest quality game I have played in 5 years. I am literally amazed that this is a AAA game. The graphics are awful, the movement is stuff, the AI is non existent and the vehicle handling is diabolical. Wow

SomTervo

I found the enemy AI pathing way worse.

When one enemy spots you, he/she telepathically informs half the globe as to where you exactly are. Every other enemy will then fire directly at you. That's just bullshit. You can handle it with regular enemies, but those purple fucks will wreck you mercilessly. They also follow you for miles.

On the plus side your AI/human teammates can aggro them which balances it out nicely.

During my last session with the Beta, three of my buddies went on an all-out assault on one of the purple army's bases, while I parachuted in and legit MGSV'd my way to the objective and completed it.

It literally felt like MGSV with a war going on around me - every goon I'd see was looking the wrong way firing at my teammates and I just snuck past all of them. Even getting the 'interrogating the target' cutscene while gunfire and explosions were still going on outside the building was awesome and immersive.

It's a bit shit that they telepathically know where you are, but it seems to be well balanced for co-op (like almost everything in the game).

0racle

I'm having a blast. Been playing it since it went up at 6:00 AM and basically did everything I did in the Closed Beta. After you complete the 6 missions you unlock the new area and get a large resource and XP bonus to help you there since it's a 5 skull zone. There's 5 missions in this area but I just got to it so I dunno what to expect yet.

Graphically how is? The new area that is. The salt flats and dried lakes always looked cool to me in previews.

RefigeKru

Banned
This is probably the lowest quality game I have played in 5 years. I am literally amazed that this is a AAA game. The graphics are awful, the movement is stuff, the AI is non existent and the vehicle handling is diabolical. Wow

My memories of the closed beta when I wasn't messing around.

Ont

It is three weeks from the closed beta, I do not expect big changes from this build.

I look forward to playing this over the weekend, had lot of fun with the closed beta.

vivekTO

The game gets released in two weeks, it surely has gone gold some time ago. This is a demo and a server test, not a beta in the usual sense.
Unless they use a old build, but that would make even less sense.

I Totally understand what you are saying!! but still its not the Final (Gold) build unless stated by the Publisher. There are cases where betas are released of the older version of then games even though they are about to get release.

Enclose

Getting a lot of Frame Drops and the Vehicle Controls are a mess. My only 2 Complainments so far. Rest is good.

Ricker

I dont get the graphics suck comment really,the game looks pretty damn good to me on the Pro...I played about 30 minutes until I died because of my errors with the interface(jumped right in a solo mission,doing the tutorial as I went along) but it looks like this will be fun,even playing solo with ordering the 3 other NPC like the usual GR games...looking forward to trying it again with more time later on.

Other than the new area it seems like nothing of significance has changed since beta. Despite having a lot of fun with friends in the closed beta, no way in hell am I buying this game until they fix the controls. Will be watching launch impressions closely.

You use helicopters so often in this game and they are unpleasant to fly. If the developers can't even address this massive pile of turd sitting in the middle of their game, I would have zero confidence in them making meaningful changes months from now. This game is a few tweaks away from being really solid.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Do items and stats carrying over from the closed beta?

I'll be jumping on XB1 today and tomorrow if anyone wants to team up, probably do some streaming as well.

benzopil

I dont get the graphics suck comment really,the game looks pretty damn good to me on the Pro...I played about 30 minutes until I died because of my errors with the interface(jumped right in a solo mission,doing the tutorial as I went along) but it looks like this will be fun,even playing solo with ordering the 3 other NPC like the usual GR games...looking forward to trying it again with more time later on.

Looks amazing on regular PS4 too

xviper

this is my impression from the open beta thread

what the hell is this ?? is this really a 60$ triple A game from Ubisoft ? is this really Ghost Reckon ?

it looks and plays like an early access survival game

the game is just so bad, nothing is good in it, graphics sucks, gameplay is horrible, animation is terrible, controls are laughable

if i didn't know that this is Ghost Reckon i would have thought this was one of the hundreds of survival early access games on steam

i really regret wasting my time downloading this trash

i actually feel ashamed of my words and deeds when i though that it reminds me a little bit of MGS V

i wouldn't even play this for free

i know many disliked The division but it's 100x better, it's quality is way above this disaster

was this supposed to be an indie game but they turned it into full game at the last minute or something ??

Ubisoft should have canceled this shit

Do items and stats carrying over from the closed beta?

I'll be jumping on XB1 today and tomorrow if anyone wants to team up, probably do some streaming as well.

I dunno on xb1 but on PS4 it claimed my save data was corrupt and reset it. I just logged into the open beta and my closed beta character is gone and I had to make a new character.

You can't skip the "welcome to open beta" video either. With the audio off that guys face kinda freaks me out.

IvorB

The impressions don't sound too good. I've downloaded this and will try to jump on this weekend but really I don't think I will be able to leave off Nioh for very long. Mainly I just want to see if getting rid of the cover system is as bad as I think it will be. I don't want this to suck 'cause I love Ghost Recon but at the same time I would be slightly relieved that I can cross it off my list since I just don't have time to play so many games these days.

Top Bottom