• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

Zasa

I'd be curious to see how this game plays with H1Z1's Battle Royale. Would be a pretty interesting mesh imo.

I'm running the game pretty well (50-65FPS) at almost max settings. Mostly ultra, some stuff Very High, awful TXAA disabled in favour of 1.30 resolution scale.

My only problem now is the awful LOD streaming. It seems to break down every 5 minutes:
PnnffZl.jpg

Anyone know why this is? I have 3000MHz RAM and the game is installed on an SSD, storage performance definitely shouldn't be the issue.

I'm also feeling some immense liberal guilt over playing this story. I'd love to see what Bolivians think of this plot.

nothing to do with 'liberal guilt', imo - having the game set in bolivia is just in poor taste, period. as was much of what went on in the division, for that matter. but i'm pretty sure a tom clancy game is, at this point, pretty much required to feature at least some element that's in poor taste? :) ...

ty_hot

Are you sure? I tried launching it an hour or so ago here in the UK and it just took ages to connect. I alt-tabbed out and just waited after a few times of cancelling and relaunching it, and it eventually connected. You'll hear music when it does.
Error Ribera-1000B, meaning server not reached. It's a worldwide problem, but affecting random people. I am still trying and nothing. On reddit for people are reporting the same problem and while other people in the same city are playing without problems...

I played a few hours ago too, but now it just doesn't let me :(

Edit. UBI is aware and tweeted that they are working on it.

luulubuu

The game plays good, way better than the closed beta, 60fps~here with very high settings

But the servers down now uwu

Foxxsoxx

I know it is getting a lot of negative feedback but I'm actually having a bit of fun with this. Pro tip, turn off a lot of the HUD options and thank me later.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Haven't been able to connect since the dl last night.

Keep winning Ubisoft.

Ogs

Hmmm, graphics are crazy good on my first quick go, stuck it on ultra, benchmark was consistently over 30 FPS, but I could see some nasty frame skipping taking place, anyone else notice this ?

i5 2500K
16GB DDR3
RX 480 8GB

Dropping down 1 notch was instant 60 FPS or thereabouts, and didn't seem to have the skips anymore.

kamspy

Without looking at this thread or r/Wildlands, I fully expected the servers to be down when I booted it up for the first time just now. I was not wrong.

Played this for few hours... This is like a mix of Mercenaries and Just Cause without any of the stuff that made Just Cause fun. This could be fun in co-op, but I rarely play games that way. Am I missing something?

Kin5290

The helicopter controls are... manageable? I can at least avoid performing a CFIT.

The plane controls on the other hand, holy shit.

Also whoever let their 13 year old into the script writing room and then decided "shitballs" would be an appropriate profanity for a JSOC operator to utter needs to be blacklisted from the industry.

legbone

Oh so there are server issues.. Shame, oh well :/

Yeah, it's too bad. I was really enjoying what I played of it this morning. Had to log out to go run some errands and now I can't get in to save my life. Should have left it paused I guess.

Gaz_RB

The helicopter controls are... manageable? I can at least avoid performing a CFIT.

The plane controls on the other hand, holy shit.

Also whoever let their 13 year old into the script writing room and then decided "shitballs" would be an appropriate profanity for a JSOC operator to utter needs to be blacklisted from the industry.
Almost as bad as "dick holster"

Those military guys with their profanity! So realistic!

Almost as bad as "dick holster"

Those military guys with their profanity! So realistic!
Lmao the dialog and random quotes from characters in this game is super weird, and the cursing is a big part of it.

Still remember being confused while playing the beta when my dude whispered 'hostile is fucking down' after headshotting someone.

Most of it just sounds mad unnatural.

Karadaliev

Neo Member
I've just played couple of hours in the open beta, did the first main mission, and after that just looked the question marks on the map.

I need to say that the game looks definitely better that I've expected (and saw youtube videos from the close beta). I can run the PC version at 1440p mostly ultra 55-60fps with no problems, and at the most part runs very well.

It plays very much as I've expected, like a tactical shooter, and when you upgrade some weapon stability, binocular/drone range, and at least 2 sync shots and you can basically just order your squad to do the killing.

And they are very-VERY efficient at that, kills from 300+m are just not a problem, you wait for them to say they are ready, hold the "Q" key, and here you go - the enemy is dead :-D.

Still, I've noticed few issues as well:
  • the auto-cover system is not that great, it works from time to time, but its not consistent
  • some of the upgrades require insane amount of materials on top of the skill points
  • vehicle control its not great, the cars are drivable, but the helicopters controls makes exactly zero sense (at least to me)
  • noticed very weird lag when a popup appear on the screen, the frames are not dropping, but when you try to look around you can sense the lag

Anyhow, I did liked what I've saw, and I'm thinking about pre-ordering it.

Gaz_RB

Lmao the dialog and random quotes from characters in this game is super weird, and the cursing is a big part of it.

Still remember being confused while playing the beta when my dude whispered 'hostile is fucking down' after headshotting someone.

I truly wish they would have gone with a more professional demeanor for these guys, who are supposedly the best of the best in the entire world. They currently sound like they just finished boot camp lol.

Springy

Okay, Ghosts, exactly which cars can you hide in the trunk of and hit the aim button to shoot from? My friends and I had great times in the closed beta using that, but now can't seem to find any car that lets you do that, and only half of them let you jump in the trunk at all.

kamspy

Does anyone know if there is one graphic setting in particular that's killing my framerate? 6600K and original Titan.

juventino

Banned
My god this game is just bad. How Ubi can release this mess in two weeks is beyond me, but they did release the hot garbage that was the Division. There is no way I'm ever buying another Ubi game on release. I was thinking maybe I'll buy it a bit down the line, but its looking like a total pass right now

Feels like an early access game. Visually its ok. Taa sucks and materials are meh. Animation is ghastly. Lod is very good. All ao options produce meh results. Lighting is decent. Foliage isnt the best but def better than witcher 3. Vehicle handling is abhorrant. Perf is much improved over closed beta

It looks kind of like a souped up last gen game. Lots of things being rendered but not particularly well. Gives the impression of a pre physically based rendering game. The cartoony aesthetic doesnt fit at all and i dont think it was an intentional design goal.

legbone

Hell, it is like the old GR games or Rainbow Six in this regard. I loved playing those solo with a squad and that is what this is. Only in a huge world and with far more toys, options and some fantastic customization.

I agree. I was playing solo this morning and was having a blast. And I'm digging the story so far (well except for the appearance of the big bad, I see cartel leaders looking more like a middle aged business person, but they kind of partially explain it). The little video regarding the doc and his nurse wife was cool imo.

Tecnniqe

Banned
My god this game is just bad. How Ubi can release this mess in two weeks is beyond me, but they did release the hot garbage that was the Division. There is no way I'm ever buying another Ubi game on release. I was thinking maybe I'll buy it a bit down the line, but its looking like a total pass right now

Frank-Underwood-Eye-roll-GIF.gif

Pilgore

Neo Member
Anyone else really annoyed by the fact that you cant customize you AI buds? Seems like such an obvious thing to allow yet..nope... I want to dress up my Action Men and make them look nice, damn it.

Springy

Anyone else really annoyed by the fact that you cant customize you AI buds? Seems like such an obvious thing to allow yet..nope... I want to dress up my Action Men and make them look nice, damn it.

Yep, I just don't understand why that isn't an option. I even thought it would be based on the customization trailer.

GRW_gif_charactersmith2_263301.gif

benzopil

Yeah sure lol
I'm really enjoying it, just not seeing where all this negativity is coming from at all :/
It's Ubisoft, what do you expect

Hairsplash

Does not matter... if this is a UBISOFT game... IMO " won't get fooled again " i will try my best to never buy another UBI game, due the Tom clancy Division Ripoff... in my eyes, season pass why?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Does not matter... if this is a UBISOFT game... IMO " won't get fooled again " i will try my best to never buy another UBI game, due the Tom clancy Division Ripoff... in my eyes, season pass why?
Then why are you here?

I didn't expected much, but holy shit, this game is hot garbage, it runs like shit, looks like shit and plays like shit. I'll give more detailed impressions after sleep, but Ubisoft is completely out of their mind if they charging 60$ for this mess. Also, this is high graphics presets:

SomTervo

The helicopter controls are still the absolute worst thing about the game. Just a complete, complete joke.

Other problems are very minor grievances for me, but the helicopter thing is just comically bad. The fact that pressing thrust and tilt forward makes you descend is just so fucked.

Play on the hardest difficulty and take it seriously, otherwise it's really simple.

This might be why I'm enjoying it so much.

On Extreme it's still not super hard, but you have to use stealth to thin the crowd before you can start taking risks. Go in guns blazing from the off and you're very likely to be dead quickly.

Even if the game was easy, I like the physical exercise of taking down bases.

Also some of the levels/areas, like the larger towns/cities, are pretty great and immersive to sneak about in.

I didn't expected much, but holy shit, this game is hot garbage, it runs like shit, looks like shit and plays like shit. I'll give more detailed impressions after sleep, but Ubisoft is completely out of their mind if they charging 60$ for this mess. Also, this is high graphics presets:

Game does not look anywhere near that bad for me. Everything on high/max for me.

Runs well, looks good and plays good for me.

He's not really wrong. The closed beta was a jankfest, the open beta seems worse for me - I didn't get crashes during the closed beta, have had hard locks in the open beta.

Not only that but the gameplay is not changed at all - vehicles still handle like ass, and the missions are still just as cookie-cutter.

Akronis

Wow, ARMA 3 looks better than that.

juventino

Banned

Can you seriously sit there and say this game has any worth beyond the typical Ubi convoluted, dull open world? Not only that, but the gameplay is ass, except for the shooting which feels quite nice. There is nothing remotely compelling about the setting or story.

Skyzard

Banned
The helicopter controls are still the absolute worst thing about the game. Just a complete, complete joke.

Other problems are very minor grievances for me, but the helicopter thing is just comically bad. The fact that pressing thrust and tilt forward makes you descend is just so fucked.

This might be why I'm enjoying it so much.

On Extreme it's still not super hard, but you have to use stealth to thin the crowd before you can start taking risks. Go in guns blazing from the off and you're very likely to be dead quickly.

Even if the game was easy, I like the physical exercise of taking down bases.

Also some of the levels/areas, like the larger towns/cities, are pretty great and immersive to sneak about in.

Game does not look anywhere near that bad for me. Everything on high/max for me.

Runs well, looks good and plays good for me.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Makes it feel more tactical - in that there are repercussions for not being smart, which I didn't really feel even on Advanced difficulty.

And yeah it doesn't look anything like that for me either. Looks pretty good here actually.

Ivan 3414

lol, sounds like a Splinter Cell Conviction situation

Top Bottom