• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Previews and Beta info

big_z

My opinion is more on the side of eurogamer. I tried to explain what they said without saying too much in a previous thread and some people were not too happy.
If you're a ghost recorn fan I would wait for reviews on this one.

Is it just me that finds this game graphics kinda so-so? The open world doesnt look interesting at all to explore.

I mean, division had kinda the same problem. Once you did the round of the city, it wasnt interesting anymore. Now they just replaced cities with trees which is arguably even less interesting.

I dunno about this one.

The early trailers had the Ubisoft magic applied to it but it looks better now than it did last fall. Its still a bit muddy on console... not as clean as watchdogs at least. On pc it's a bit better. In terms of interesting locals, it's standard stuff. If you think it looks generic from the video the game won't impress you.

RedSwirl

Snipers have bullet drop and can aim from quite a far distance away from an enemy camp.

What people are curious about are things like maximum distance. In Far Cry 3 for instance, bullets actually disappear at 200 meters. What I want to know is if you can attempt shots from like, a mile off. Will the game even draw in characters at that range?

Keasar

I don't get the negativity towards the customization here.

Eh, I am not feeling negative about the existence of customization, it is just such a extremely low priority for me when it comes to a tactical shooter. Gameplay is way more important in this case that I would have been happy with the only option being "Male or Female" and that was it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Eh, I am not feeling negative about the existence of customization, it is just such a extremely low priority for me when it comes to a tactical shooter. Gameplay is way more important in this case that I would have been happy with the only option being "Male or Female" and that was it.
But what makes the gameplay so bad that customization could have caused it problems?

It's probably not even worked on by the same people so I don't see it.

So?
They are options for people who do like to play around with that. What the hell does this have to do with gameplay? You act like the customization somehow affects the gameplay.

Keasar

But what makes the gameplay so bad that customization could have caused it problems?

It's probably not even worked on by the same people so I don't see it.

So?
They are options for people who do like to play around with that. What the hell does this have to do with gameplay? You act like the customization somehow affects the gameplay.

No, I don't mean that the inclusion of customization does affect the rest of the game. I meant that it is a low priority in terms of what I would ask about in the case of a tactical military shooter, in this video it is his very first topic to talk about.

For me, that would have been the very last question to ask. If the game has customization or not I don't really care about, fine for the people who do, but I still don't think it should be the priority to talk about. Especially when it comes to Ubisoft games and their track record regarding open world games filled with monotonous tasks to repeat, I would rather ask how they aim to do different with this and showcase that.

Is there any concrete info on what the PvP is like?

I guess hoping for a SOCOM like third person experience is setting myself up for failure but the old GR games were a little similar.

GravyButt

Signed up for the beta a while ago so hopefully I get in as well. Looking forward to the game and the videos have me pretty hyped im not going to lie!

No, I don't mean that the inclusion of customization does affect the rest of the game. I meant that it is a low priority in terms of what I would ask about in the case of a tactical military shooter, in this video it is his very first topic to talk about.

For me, that would have been the very last question to ask. If the game has customization or not I don't really care about, fine for the people who do, but I still don't think it should be the priority to talk about. Especially when it comes to Ubisoft games and their track record regarding open world games filled with monotonous tasks to repeat, I would rather ask how they aim to do different with this and showcase that.

Rainbow Six: Siege was pretty pure in that sense. Until people started requesting those things. In T-hunt even more people want to customize, because it's more casual/ fun with friends based. A lot of people just seem to like it and want it.

But i agree fully that it shouldn't be a top-priority when it comes to showing the game to people. But there are a lot of other videos where it isn't even mentioned.
It's just a video about that part of the game.

It's pretty cool that everything is on the fly though.

Keasar

After listening through Jackfrags video and reading the Eurogamer article, I must say I feel a bit vary about what this might become. It feels like they try to cater more to the open-world chaotic shooter demographic rather than the people who want a traditional Ghost Recon game. Like the Eurogamer article said, the old name feels a bit redundant, could have called the game just "Wildlands" and skip the Ghost Recon name.

While that might be fine, for me as a fan of tactical shooters I can't say I am feeling it. Now with the re-release of SWAT 4 on GOG.com I am looking back again a lot on what I want out of these kinds of games today and feel there isn't much except ARMA, which feels impossible to play with people in a serious manner unless your in a group like ShackTac.

Best impressions video out there atm.
https://youtu.be/AI1t_UrYVZU

Good video and aligns pretty closely with how I feel. I have never played Ghost Recon, so that name bears zero clout or expectation for me. If anything, I ignored this game early on because of that. Once I realized that this was a open world co-op game, or as he put it a squad based TPS Far Cry, I went from ignoring to very excited. I see a tremendous amount of potential fun to be had with my three friends if we all buy this game. I was able to play Far Cry 4 co op for a bit with one friend and we had so much fun and were bummed when all the fortresses were done. Moreover, we would have a friend watch us play via share play ocasionally and all we could think when flying around together on the gyrocopter was, "Damn, I wish you could join in our game too!" It seems Wildlands will deliver on that promise at the very least and I am pretty stoked to see how ridiculous we can be as a four man team.

NH Apache

Banned
Signed up for the beta, but it put me on PC when I chose xbox because it said I was already selected. Anyone know how to switch the platform?

Anyone find out how sync shot works in co-op? I have seen it happen in co-op vids but not sure how it works. Is it just a tagging system?

Bullet drop test on PS4. Looks like you will be able to snipe from pretty damn far away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZEZmeF1Nkc&start=35&autoplay=1 I wish this vid was higher res but it def gives you a sense that that bullets and not going to despawn until very far out.

You only seem to tag and execute.

I imagine its tagging ans voice chat.

The confusing thing is it still gave you the "press X to execute" option even in co-op. My guess on what I have observed is one person marks the targets, then every person picks one to aim at. Once you have your sights on a target, it shows you as ready. So either everyone shoots manually at that point, or the person marking the sync shot gets to hit X and it makes everyone fire at once, wherever they are aiming, or it gives a fire command. I think it may be the former, where it auto shoots the other players weapon, and you just are holding the sights steady. The shot timing seemed really tight.

NoPiece

Positive impressions from John Davison at Glixel:

http://www.glixel.com/news/how-ghost-recon-wildlands-is-the-future-of-military-shooters-w462837

From the few hours we spent with Wildlands, it's clear that it's an incredibly ambitious game that definitely steps outside what we've all become used to as the Ubisoft formula, and also what we're used to from military shooters. Yes, it has a map full of objectives but the tasks the game sets for you throughout draw on tropes that you've seen elsewhere in both open world games and other shooters – in our brief time with the game, we saw hostage extractions that evoked Rainbow Six, carjacking that reminded us of Grand Theft Auto, and a wave based defense mission that felt like Gears of War's Horde Mode. Missions are generally short and swift, with many of them only taking five or ten minutes to complete.

The real delight when we're all playing it in early March is going to come from the stories we share with each other. Because so little of the game is scripted, our experiences are going to be wildly different. Not just because we'll all approach things differently, but because all of the interconnected systems will generate vastly different outcomes.

Muzicfreq

Banned

Tacticool kiddies want looks before anything

Tecnniqe

Banned
Interesting
Tacticool kiddies want looks before anything

"What are you doing xiTzAgentx?"
e4a.jpg

Saw sniping up to 450m in a video, and enemies still visible at least another 50m past that. So I think it is safe to say you can snipe up to at least 500m on PS4. Hopefully you can nudge even closer to 1km, but 500m is still pretty solid. The guy on video was aiming a good 4-5 hash marks up. Satisfying looking bullet drop and speed.

ironcreed

Banned
Positive impressions from John Davison at Glixel:

From the few hours we spent with Wildlands, it's clear that it's an incredibly ambitious game that definitely steps outside what we've all become used to as the Ubisoft formula, and also what we're used to from military shooters. Yes, it has a map full of objectives but the tasks the game sets for you throughout draw on tropes that you've seen elsewhere in both open world games and other shooters – in our brief time with the game, we saw hostage extractions that evoked Rainbow Six, carjacking that reminded us of Grand Theft Auto, and a wave based defense mission that felt like Gears of War's Horde Mode. Missions are generally short and swift, with many of them only taking five or ten minutes to complete.

The real delight when we're all playing it in early March is going to come from the stories we share with each other. Because so little of the game is scripted, our experiences are going to be wildly different. Not just because we'll all approach things differently, but because all of the interconnected systems will generate vastly different outcomes.

http://www.glixel.com/news/how-ghost-recon-wildlands-is-the-future-of-military-shooters-w462837

Sounds like a load of fun to me.

UrbanRats

Kinda lame that gas masks and Ghillie suits are only cosmetic and you select them in character creation.

Also disappointing that you can't drag bodies, absurd in a stealth game in 2017.
I get that GR was never really meant to be a "no kill run" kind of stealth, but since that level of stealth is in there, it should have these basic elements.
Also, even at Ghost difficulty, the enemy seem absurdly blind & dumb.
I think an open world stealth game HAS to be a bit more lenient, but this is pretty extreme.

Sum of its parts and all though, still excited to play this.

Top Bottom