• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

CTLance

Jobbs, will you be putting in place anything for slacker backers?
He said in the last update on the site that the paypal account will remain open for donations and that the benefits will be the same for "slacker backers":
Jobbs on KS said:
Quick house cleaning:

1: People keep asking me if there's a Paypal option. Scroll down a couple inches, it's right there. :) Or just click here. I'm leaving it open and all the rewards the same, at least for now, in case more people want to get in on this and support us. (This means you can still get all the tier rewards, including the Dizzy bonus for all backers)

2: To those who may be lamenting about the Wii U goal -- I'm working to make this happen anyway. That's not official, but it's a desire of mine and I hope to have that out at some point, if not at release, then following release.

Clott

I had to sleep, so I couldn't be a part of the last 2 hours (still in Euroland). But I am really happy that so many people contributed in the last few days.

I hope you just empty your mind and create, just create the best game you can and the rest will take care of itself.

Looking forward the the first screenshots that come out of unity!!

Congrats Jobbs, you got an article on eurogamer, you're in the big time now!

Click

EDIT: Aw, I jsut realised it was an edit, most of the article had appeared before. Well done anyway though :)

nillapuddin

My deepest deepest desire, is that once this game is built, it gets ported to Xbox One/Windows Store.

Every single article I see about Unity's partnership with Microsoft, all I read is (theres hope).

I know its a pipe dream, but the point is, now I am so much more interested in all this, I want to actively go seek out the next Jobbs/Ghost Song combo and help them out also

I am so happy that the world backed Jobbs like this, I am putting so much positive energy into him and roger, Ive never seen a concept I wanted to support as much as this

MaLDo

I just saw this game in greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180427325

BE16AC6549C7692BCDB73DD3B22E02A1EA6C0CEF

and I'm nearly sure that Matt has no relation with Magnetic Realms.

CTLance

Well, it's not like Jobbs has an monopoly to make a Metroid-y game with Zombie-like enemies.

That game looks OK, but I'm far more enamoured with the atmosphere oozing from Ghost Song.

That said, feel the urge to stalk the game.
ZmU7Dpd.gif

I mean, Jobbs didn't have any time yet, so it would probably boil down to "I bought some hardware, set up my office/working place, got legal counsel, downloaded the SDK and played around a bit with the examples. Oh, and I also read 500000 pages of documentation and contemplated suicide by API printout." - but still. Jobbs, are you OK? Post if you are OK.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, I never went anywhere, I felt like people saw enough of this thread during august so I was trying to give them a break from it for a while. :)

I've been in the somewhat unsexy slog of working on initial art assets, (I'm basically going from scratch on the art) which in some cases takes quite a while, particularly in the case of the main character, which I've been working on for over a week straight now. I've started over completely on it twice now. First I came up with something mundane that I just ultimately decided wasn't good enough. Then I tried a bit of a departure, a more animated, almost ghibli style of art for the suit -- which had its merits, but ultimately I decided it was simply too different from what people were used to with the game.

After having my kicks trying things, I came back around and just decided to keep things very similar to the original design but "upgraded". I'm very mindful of the Kickstarter campaign and that I have backers who backed something they saw and liked. That's not to say I won't make changes that I think are best for the game. It's a balancing act.

I just saw this game in greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180427325

BE16AC6549C7692BCDB73DD3B22E02A1EA6C0CEF

and I'm nearly sure that Matt has no relation with Magnetic Realms.

This looks pretty neat, but I honestly don't see what the connection is. It doesn't look much like my game, particularly in motion. That there's a blue suit and a spikey back enemy here I'd chalk up to coincidence. I don't have the trademark on spikey back enemies or blue suits. :)

Really hope Matt is able to bring this to Vita at some point in the future. Seems like it would be such a good fit for the platform. I'll even buy it over again; how about that?! :)

CTLance

That blur effect on the boots/feet during the standing animation really bothers me for some reason. Other than that:

Matt, that looks
de912vczxs3j.gif

It makes the wait for the final product way worse, though. Heh.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Great update. I love how the art and animation is coming along. I also appreciate the behind-the-scenes information.

Keep it up!

UrbanRats

Yup, when i saw the content of the email, i got a smile on my face.
I love those animations, and the asymmetrical ones especially, fill me with joy!
A great decision there.

Jobbs

Banned
Just noticed this thread got bumped. You guys are very kind, and I've really gotten off in a physical way to your nice words. Just kidding.
not kidding

Edit: While the jumping animation is pretty great I think there should be a delay between the highest point of the jump (complete
deceleration) and the beginning of the fall, the cape goes down and instantly up as the falls begins.

Don't worry.. That's two animations. Travel up, then travel down. The travel down animation never happens unless you are traveling downward. So At the apex of your jump, the animation will switch. There are a couple of cycling frames that it "holds" on after the up or down animation finishes to keep the character looking alive. I never let anything get static. Everything's always moving in some way.

Really hope Matt is able to bring this to Vita at some point in the future. Seems like it would be such a good fit for the platform. I'll even buy it over again; how about that?! :)

I actually just got my first Vita ever relatively recently. I picked up a few games, including Soul Sacrifice, but have primarily been glued to Muramasa Rebirth. I could go off on a tangent about how great this game is and looks, but the more relevant bit here is that I really love the Vita, inside and out, it's such an elegantly designed system. The hardware is beautiful and feels solid, the tiny sticks feel great, and the OS is terrific and snappy.

I couldn't help but load some Ghost Song screenshots onto the Vita and try and envision it. I'd love to do this. The Unity licensing fee barrier may be preventative unless we get a publisher to help us (incidentally I've heard from a number of them, including some rather major ones -- being naive I don't know if it's bad form to name names or not so I'll stay on the safe side -- Keep in mind there is absolutely no deal with anyone at this point, I feel as though I want to get the game more laid out and in place and further along before entertaining such thoughts).

The fact the character sprite isn't mirrored (so his gun arm remains his left arm facing both ways) makes my d*ck hard.

The first reason for this was my own obsessiveness, the second reason for this was your dick. So, yes, I'm happy to help. :)

Wow, this looks amazing. That it's made by a GAF member is even better. I don't know how I missed this, but I'm glad it got backed.
It's not too late for a Paypal donation! ;)

Agreed btw, it's looking great. It's good to see someone properly inspired by Super Metroid, because Nintendo sure as hell hasn't been following up on the formula in recent years. I'm glad I backed this, and am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the *seemingly* somewhat likely Wii U version. The updated sprite stuff is looking sweet. Keep up the rad work Jobbs!

MaLDo

Jobbs, those new HD screenshots are 720p but your character animation gifs are too large to fit 1:1 in a 720p frame. Please, say me those screenshots are scaled down and Ghostsong is not 720p only. This character work deserves 1080p full glory.

thank you neogaf.

*arg* found this too late. Btw. i think Nintendo would be very interested in having that game on Wii U. So if you're game, maybe contact Dan Adelman about it?

I would get it on Wii U day 1 (Well maybe day 7 or 14, depending on the releasedate ;) But i would buy it)

Just finished reading the latest update - love the character animations. So beautiful. I may have missed something, but what's her name? Was her design based around being a love letter to Metroid; i.e. woman in power armour with a gun-arm attachment?

I actually just got my first Vita ever relatively recently. I picked up a few games, including Soul Sacrifice, but have primarily been glued to Muramasa Rebirth. I could go off on a tangent about how great this game is and looks, but the more relevant bit here is that I really love the Vita, inside and out, it's such an elegantly designed system. The hardware is beautiful and feels solid, the tiny sticks feel great, and the OS is terrific and snappy.

I couldn't help but load some Ghost Song screenshots onto the Vita and try and envision it. I'd love to do this. The Unity licensing fee barrier may be preventative unless we get a publisher to help us (incidentally I've heard from a number of them, including some rather major ones -- being naive I don't know if it's bad form to name names or not so I'll stay on the safe side -- Keep in mind there is absolutely no deal with anyone at this point, I feel as though I want to get the game more laid out and in place and further along before entertaining such thoughts).

You could go directly to someone from Sony, as they seem to have a very strong indie-friendly team and send out dev kits no problem. What about Adam Boyes or Shahid Ahmad?

PS - this is such a tease! I want this game on my Vita so much! If you need any Vita recommendations, try Guacamelee and Gravity Rush to begin with.

I wonder if it's okay to use this thread as a relay point to you Matt? Just wanted to say, read the last update, you're crushing expectations as usual, looks fantastic.

Your animations and coloring are wunderbar!

av9.png

Jobbs

Banned
Jobbs, those new HD screenshots are 720p but your character animation gifs are too large to fit 1:1 in a 720p frame. Please, say me those screenshots are scaled down and Ghostsong is not 720p only. This character work deserves 1080p full glory.

They started as 1080p. I scaled them down because I was originally doing it to put them in a forum reply and it was just easier to look at them at that size. The animations shown are representative of the character's size on your screen if you are playing the game full screened.

Just finished reading the latest update - love the character animations. So beautiful. I may have missed something, but what's her name? Was her design based around being a love letter to Metroid; i.e. woman in power armour with a gun-arm attachment?

You could go directly to someone from Sony, as they seem to have a very strong indie-friendly team and send out dev kits no problem. What about Adam Boyes or Shahid Ahmad?

PS - this is such a tease! I want this game on my Vita so much! If you need any Vita recommendations, try Guacamelee and Gravity Rush to begin with.

The suit is called the Deadsuit, and it's actually supposed to be a bit mysterious (for most the game) what or who is inside of it. I let some pronouns slip a few times by accident.

I wonder if it's okay to use this thread as a relay point to you Matt? Just wanted to say, read the last update, you're crushing expectations as usual, looks fantastic.

Your animations and coloring are wunderbar!

Thanks :) Not sure what you mean by relay point, but if you want to post here and talk to me, that's fine. :)

The suit is called the Deadsuit, and it's actually supposed to be a bit mysterious (for most the game) what or who is inside of it. I let some pronouns slip a few times by accident.

The 'Deadsuit' huh...? Must the operator be deceased, perchance? Or that will be the 'twist'; that the person inside is dead and the player has unbeknown been controlling the suit directly and not the character, as one would assume? A bit like the Doctor Who episode 'Silence in the Library'?

I'll stop suggesting things now just in case I accidentally stumble upon your twist! Already love the feel and mystery surrounding it all though!

UrbanRats

They started as 1080p. I scaled them down because I was originally doing it to put them in a forum reply and it was just easier to look at them at that size. The animations shown are representative of the character's size on your screen if you are playing the game full screened.
Say if i play this fullscreen on a 55" TV...

i2T74Zu1VqlON.gif

nillapuddin

Just dropping by to say, Jobbs, if yall ever get a chance to work on Xbox One
a man can dream

I will double dip to support yall in a heartbeat

Jobbs

Banned
Just dropping by to say, Jobbs, if yall ever get a chance to work on Xbox One
a man can dream

I will double dip to support yall in a heartbeat

I pretty much know what you know on this, but it sounds good to me. If we can get onto the xbone without any cost I'd be game. I love consoles, I think our game is a natural fit on consoles, and I'll do what I can to get it onto any console.

btw, since I'm here, I'll say wii u is looking really good right now.

nillapuddin

I pretty much know what you know on this, but it sounds good to me. If we can get onto the xbone without any cost I'd be game. I love consoles, I think our game is a natural fit on consoles, and I'll do what I can to get it onto any console.

btw, since I'm here, I'll say wii u is looking really good right now.

Yeah I read around, I would assume that once you can finish up a final product, or rather full version of the game, the ID@xbox program would work for yall.

Im just glad that MS is opening up their platform, it creates a better environment for dev's, and much better for the players.
Cant earn money without players.
Cant play/buy what you've never seen.

Good luck in development and hopefully post launch you can stretch past where we left you off with kickstarter

Top Bottom