• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

El Sloth

Banned
Saymund of Ayon 9
ho ho ho I see what you did there.

Jobbs, you wouldn't happen to have been on one of the indie gaming subreddits a while ago looking how to make high quality gifs would you?

Jobbs

Banned
ho ho ho I see what you did there.

Jobbs, you wouldn't happen to have been on one of the indie gaming subreddits a while ago looking how to make high quality gifs would you?

Nope, but I did ask on neogaf a while ago. Previously the only way I knew was a labored multi step process. I ended up with gifcam, which is awesome.

Strydus ;)

Also Dat Metroid jump. Nailed it.

Yeah, this is a bit on the nose, but as I said months ago in my youtube introduction -- What am I gonna tell ya, I like Metroid. You will do a non-flip if you jump while not moving forward, and your jump will remain non-flipping even if you move forward after jumping. But if you jump while running, you'll spin. I can say that there is no screw attack or any plans for a screw attack -- That'd be a bit too much. There is sort of a "ghost float" where you surround yourself in "ghost energy", for lack of a better term, and float back down slowly, while also enjoying increased defenses. This can be chained with other moves for a double jump, or if you dash out of it, your dash will be a big empowered pew pew and kill what you run into (regular enemies, anyway).

here's a gif of just the ghost dash, for fun.
dash3b.gif

remist

First time backing a crowdfunding project. I have a thing for metroidvanias and this looks pretty cool. Good Luck.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jobbs, can you elaborate at all on what the process of interlocking the different areas entails? do you just start intuitively with a piece of graph paper and map it out?

as a big metroid fan, i can't help but be curious how this process works.

and fwiw, the game looks phenomenal.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is that dash able to dodge and/or hurt enemies?

And could you make the backgrounds layered or add more movement for more impressiveness? Something less static. Doesn't need to be 3d, just moves as you do in planes.

The game will be full of enemies, I'm sure. The game doesn't seem as packed now, is that something you plan on improving?

Jobbs

Banned
jobbs, can you elaborate at all on what the process of interlocking the different areas entails? do you just start intuitively with a piece of graph paper and map it out?

as a big metroid fan, i can't help but be curious how this process works.

and fwiw, the game looks phenomenal.

Thanks for the compliment. I draw the maps out by hand initially, with squares that represent a screen size. Groups of squares make up different segments of map, and I decide these based on my knowledge of how many screens tall or wide makes an area "feel" one way or another.

To start with this was a VERY crude process. basically just a big clusterfuck of notes and colors and symbols that no one would understand but me. If this thing funds I'll need to make better maps because someone else will have to understand them too. :)

Is that dash able to dodge and/or hurt enemies?

And could you make the backgrounds layered or add more movement for more impressiveness? Something less static. Doesn't need to be 3d, just moves as you do in planes.

The game will be full of enemies, I'm sure. The game doesn't seem as packed now, is that something you plan on improving?

Dash ordinarily passes through enemies/bullets, but if you do an empowered dash (certain contexts, like coming out of your float move) it will hurt them.

re. backgrounds -- They are a bit sparse in some areas in the existing flash game, this is largely due to the constraints I was working with because I was trying to make this as a flash game. what you're looking at is a flash game. the kickstarter is to remake the game in high res in a new engine (unity) and finish it off strong. it'll be the game fully realized the way it always should have been, and, to answer your question directly, we'll have detailed backgrounds out the ass.

mantidor

Looks nice and I'll keep an eye on it, but Metroid meets Dark Souls? those are some pretty lofty expectations. It looks amazing for sure.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks for the compliment. I draw the maps out by hand initially, with squares that represent a screen size. Groups of squares make up different segments of map, and I decide these based on my knowledge of how many screens tall or wide makes an area "feel" one way or another.

To start with this was a VERY crude process. basically just a big clusterfuck of notes and colors and symbols that no one would understand but me. If this thing funds I'll need to make better maps because someone else will have to understand them too. :)

Dash ordinarily passes through enemies/bullets, but if you do an empowered dash (certain contexts, like coming out of your float move) it will hurt them.

re. backgrounds -- They are a bit sparse in some areas in the existing flash game, this is largely due to the constraints I was working with because I was trying to make this as a flash game. what you're looking at is a flash game. the kickstarter is to remake the game in high res in a new engine (unity) and finish it off strong. it'll be the game fully realized the way it always should have been, and, to answer your question directly, we'll have detailed backgrounds out the ass.

Excellent. So the dash can be combo'd into other attacks or used to enhance other moves powers? And so it's balanced enough so the game isn't too easy. Maybe having a dash gauge to limit the use or have a cooldown period. Not sure how it fits with your game as you know what you're doing here so if you can dash to your hearts content, I will leave it to you to make the game tight and not feel too forgiving with the dash.

I hope you make your goal. It's asking a lot but vibrant and lively BG's will go a long way.

And regarding enemies, as it stands now, it doesn't feel bad ass yet like the enemies will beat the hell out of you and in your face. You're just shooting the enemies and they die. Hopefully they have unique attacks and you figure out different techniques to beat the enemies. Boss strategies go without saying. Everyone enjoys finding unique ways to beat each boss. Like a gimmick similar to a rather unrelated game such as Black Belt. Each boss has a neat technique and different way to dismantle and beat him/her.

Jobbs

Banned
Excellent. So the dash can be combo'd into other attacks or used to enhance other moves powers? And so it's balanced enough so the game isn't too easy. Maybe having a dash gauge to limit the use or have a cooldown period. Not sure how it fits with your game as you know what you're doing here so if you can dash to your hearts content, I will leave it to you to make the game tight and not feel too forgiving with the dash.

Right now, the dash can be empowered if you come out of a float jump (after floating for enough time -- the float is sort of an energy shell that charges you up, as well as lets you float down slower). In a related power, if you gain the ability, you can dash through an enemy and sap them of their strength temporarily, and in turn temporarily make your guns beefed up.

And regarding enemies, as it stands now, it doesn't feel bad ass yet like the enemies will beat the hell out of you and in your face. You're just shooting the enemies and they die. Hopefully they have unique attacks and you figure out different techniques to beat the enemies. Boss strategies go without saying. Everyone enjoys finding unique ways to beat each boss. Like a gimmick similar to a rather unrelated game such as Black Belt. Each boss has a neat technique and different way to dismantle and beat him/her.

Right now in the old (existing) version of the game, the challenge comes a lot in the form of "lots of projectiles", as seen in something like rogue legacy. I do have some more tenacious enemies, like this android: (keep in mind, this particular gif is pretty damn old, it's not totally representative of the current game)

tdroid.gif

As you can see he'll pursue you, even up inclines, and he'll attempt to flame you. You need to choose when to attack to keep him away (pumping bullets into him slows him down) and when to dash through him. It's difficult to just run from him because his top speed is higher than yours.

Moving forward, though, I intend to rework the combat system a bit to make it more visceral, with more of a focus on push backs and knock downs, and deftly avoiding damage through quick timing -- as I said, it'll be a bit of brawler injected into the game. It'll still be metroidy, but it'll be something else too.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Cool stuff from a member of the community! Looks real damned nice from those animated gifs / video on the KS page.

Though truthfully on a side note am tired of folks using "Dark Souls" to describe something.

Blizzard

Banned
As much as I like Metroid, I wish it wasnt so blatant about it, not gonna lie

it still looks awesome. Nice job jobbs
I rather agree about the look, but the art is still quite nice. Good luck, Jobbs.

If I may make a respectful suggestion, for the main Kickstarter page, rather than using your non-game splash images with character art, I think something more like one of these would be more appealing and get people to look further:

a52542fbcb80c0ab58240679a0cc66d7_large.jpg

32f0fae7f4d5ef40b21090c5fcd6bc0e_large.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
I rather agree about the look, but the art is still quite nice. Good luck, Jobbs.

If I may make a respectful suggestion, for the main Kickstarter page, rather than using your non-game splash images with character art, I think something more like one of these would be more appealing and get people to look further:

a52542fbcb80c0ab58240679a0cc66d7_large.jpg

32f0fae7f4d5ef40b21090c5fcd6bc0e_large.jpg

You mean put those as the headline image for the project? (The thing that's currently the image of the ghost over the planet)

If you love Metroid, you owe it to yourself to have a Wii U version.

If I hear wind of a Wii U version, I'll back it. I'm too poor right now to back on the premise of a PC version, but even if I have to personally send you a check, I'll send you $60 if a Wii U version is incoming.

Yeah, I know, low user base... T-T

Blizzard

Banned
You mean put those as the headline image for the project? (The thing that's currently the image of the ghost over the planet)
Yeah, maybe the second image in particular in place of the one that's currently the ghost.

I suppose I feel kind of bad saying it, because it basically comes across as me criticizing the art of the Kickstarter header page. I'm just giving my personal reaction. If I see a picture like that, I might just skim past it, since it tells me nothing about a game other than that it has a ghostly figure with long hair, ala Deviantart or something (sorry :p).

Now of course the rest of the page has lots of awesome ingame images. I like the one of the planet too, but I do think that having one of the lovely sprite images as a page header might draw people in better. :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Backed at $25. Best of luck to you guys, I'll be cheering for your Kickstarter's success.

Getting a bit of a Turrican vibe as well.

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks bishop :) and everyone else who backed. You have my HEART.. and the rest of my body if you hit that top tier. :D

Got any high res 1080p wallpaper?

I don't have a lot of supplementary art yet, most of what I've done is work for the game itself or concept sketchies... In coming days I might fool around with some more arty type stuff.

If you love Metroid, you owe it to yourself to have a Wii U version.

If I hear wind of a Wii U version, I'll back it. I'm too poor right now to back on the premise of a PC version, but even if I have to personally send you a check, I'll send you $60 if a Wii U version is incoming.

Yeah, I know, low user base... T-T

I love Wii U, and I'd love to do this. There are costs associated with it and hoops to jump through but at the same time I've heard that there may be open doors for the right game. I can't promise it this early but it's very possible, since we'll be using Unity.

Looks really really nice i wish you all the luck and i would love to play it. Any plans to bring this to the PS4? if so you got another backer.

Voror

Backed. Looks great and I'm honestly fine if it looks similar to Metroid as you seem clear about doing your own thing despite the influence.

Any chance of a Vita/PS4 or 3Ds version? Admittedly, I don't quite know the costs associated so it might not be something possible unless you get far above the goal.

Best of luck in any case!

Lingitiz

im starting to feel like any game that is inspired by a game that is exclusive to a certain company...should bring that game to that companies current console.... just a random thought.

He's only asking for 15k so maybe PC is all that's feasible.

Instro

Backed for $10. I was initially skeptical when I saw the thread title, as I generally am with indie projects that reference popular works, but looking at the video and reading both the full pitch and your comments here, it looks to me like you are really are a big Metroid fan and you have a very good understanding of what makes that franchise great. The game really looks like a love letter. Given that we have no Metroid game on the horizon this could end up being a great substitute :).

Bulzeeb

Backed for $10. I was initially skeptical when I saw the thread title, as I generally am with indie projects that reference popular works, but looking at the video and reading both the full pitch and your comments here, it looks to me like you are really are a big Metroid fan and you have a very good understanding of what makes that franchise great. The game really looks like a love letter. Given that we have no Metroid game on the horizon this could end up being a great substitute :).

well i only back a game if there is a video or some trailer and this game looked nice

Jobbs

Banned
stretch goals - PS4 port , Do it!

I'd love to put it on lots of platforms, and beign that we'll use Unity, it wouldn't be hard -- From a technical standpoint. Unfortunately, each console will have its own hurdles and hoops to jump through to get on. At the outset, it sounds to me like Wii U has the lowest barrier to entry, and is sounding the most plausible right now (in addition to the regular PC/mc/linux version). I can't promise anything on that front yet but it sounds doable.

I don't have much information on how to get things onto Sony platforms yet. I've heard that the licensing fees just for unity can be pretty brutal. Nintendo helps its indies out with that but I don't know about Sony. I just don't have the information yet.

desu

I don't have much information on how to get things onto Sony platforms yet. I've heard that the licensing fees just for unity can be pretty brutal. Nintendo helps its indies out with that but I don't know about Sony. I just don't have the information yet.

Need to look it up, but wasn't it as easy as to twitter your game to Shahid to get into contact (at least for Vita?). I remember reading something like that. Maybe Toma (who runs the monthly Indie thread) knows some details.

Jobbs

Banned
Need to look it up, but wasn't it as easy as to twitter your game to Shahid to get into contact (at least for Vita?). I remember reading something like that. Maybe Toma (who runs the monthly Indie thread) knows some details.

I keep hearing the unity license will burn you in the butt. :) that'd be the big obstacle there.

It's fun to talk about ports but EXTREMELY premature. I'm right with you in the fact that I'd LOVE to do it, but the first focus is to make the game great and working and stuff on its own, on PC. :) Wii U is the one that sounds most realistic to me right now, but I'm still not making promises.

desu

I keep hearing the unity license will burn you in the butt. :) that'd be the big obstacle there.

That's pretty much the only point that might prevent me from doing a game Unity (if I were to make one). The licencing costs for consoles seem to be freaking high and out of reach unless you have a super amazing games on hand/or made enough money from your pc version already (and then again, you might not even sell enough copies to get the money back at all).

Dunno if Sony/Nintendo help you out with that if they think your game is worth it.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm hoping the port thing will work itself out once the game is done. Or -- maybe if our funding hits some crazy level, we can start making lofty goals ahead of time.

69wpm

I love Wii U, and I'd love to do this. There are costs associated with it and hoops to jump through but at the same time I've heard that there may be open doors for the right game. I can't promise it this early but it's very possible, since we'll be using Unity.

You should talk to Dan Adelman. He handles US indies. Maybe he can give you some useful infos on the process and if it works out, you can add a Wii U stretch goal until the campaign ends. I pledged 10$ and wish you all the best.

Parakeetman

Why cant ghost song crawl??

Oh man you so gotta put this in the game somewhere as a joke. :D

Indeed good luck with the project. With games like these becoming more and more rare these days, folks like you are the only ones we can turn to. D:

Jobbs

Banned
Oh man you so gotta put this in the game somewhere as a joke. :D

Indeed good luck with the project. With games like these becoming more and more rare these days, folks like you are the only ones we can turn to. D:

Hmmmm.... You may be onto something there. It'd certainly be good fodder for "supra-fiction lore", which is the term I came up with for people talking about the game. :)

The main character encounters a pathway too low to walk through -- The only such pathway. It's off in some hidden area. You go near it, and you hear a voice "Why can't I crawl?".

This'd work as long as it stands that there really is no crawling -- As currently is the case.

CTLance

You have my Baby Metroid.

Good luck with this.

IMHO: Don't worry about ports and all that other stuff right now. Focus on getting the game to run well on PC, then, when it sells and you have a steady flow of income and a good base of beta testers fans as well as sales numbers to back it up you have something to stand on when you try to port the game to other platforms or OSes.

Parakeetman

Hmmmm.... You may be onto something there. It'd certainly be good fodder for "supra-fiction lore", which is the term I came up with for people talking about the game. :)

The main character encounters a pathway too low to walk through -- The only such pathway. It's off in some hidden area. You go near it, and you hear a voice "Why can't I crawl?".

This'd work as long as it stands that there really is no crawling -- As currently is the case.

haha man you are gonna get so much love from here if you toss something like that in the game. :) Hell from any gamers as folks always get a kick out of stuff that shows the dev has a sense of humor.

Top Bottom