• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnarum

It's definitely better as it is where they don't have to look up to a man to look for inspiration.

Why? Daughters can't look up to their fathers?

Star Wars had a great female character. The new one looks great too. This Ghostbusters is a joke IMO.

Also Wonder Woman looks amazing. Another good film girls can look up too. She looks badass. Quit making the excuse that people hate this move due to women.

Volimar

I liked the film okay. It definitely had rough patches. I'd put it GB1>GB2>NuGB

The biggest crime is that it's way less quoteable than the other two films...

That's the issue. People didn't care that it was women, the story just sucks. The jokes suck, the effects suck, and the script itself sucks too.

Would've been way cooler if they were a little more serious, and if they linked back to the original ghostbusters. Such as maybe one of them is their daughters and that's why she's a genius.

That's bullshit. People were shitting all over this movie before anyone knew anything about it but the cast and kept it up for months before any of the plot was known. The trailers didn't help but you're way off base with the assertion that people didn't care that it was women.

nnarum

I liked the film okay. It definitely had rough patches. I'd put it GB1>GB2>NuGB

The biggest crime is that it's way less quoteable than the other two films...

That's bullshit. People were shitting all over this movie before anyone knew anything about it but the cast and kept it up for months before any of the plot was known. The trailers didn't help but you're way off base with the assertion that people didn't care that it was women.

None that I follow. AVGN put out a good video stating his reasons for not wanting to see this movie. Also the box office numbers don't lie. This movie isn't even going to turn profit.

Would've been way cooler if they were a little more serious, and if they linked back to the original ghostbusters. Such as maybe one of them is their daughters and that's why she's a genius.

Not necessarily directed to you, but god damn I'm so sick of people wishing this was a "handing of the torch" film. A handing of the torch film wouldn't have inherently fixed the issues with the script any more than including the actors in needless cameos does.

If the villain was more worth a damn, they didn't ape so many aspects of the original Ghostbusters (Slimer, Stay-Puft, the cameos) and the humor had more of a snap to it, it would have been tons better than it was. The fact that it didn't relate to the 80s Ghostbusters wasn't an issue with the film (for me, anyway). The lore of Ghostbusters isn't so important that one of the newbies has to have some relation to the original 4. All it needs is good comedy and good action.

atr0cious

Why? Daughters can't look up to their fathers?

Star Wars had a great female character. The new one looks great too. This Ghostbusters is a joke IMO.

Also Wonder Woman looks amazing. Another good film girls can look up too. She looks badass. Quit making the excuse that people hate this move due to women.
Why does a woman need a man to show her how things are done? Major issue with the new tomb raider series is her no longer being a bad ass because she can, now she has to slovenly follow in her father's footsteps meaning she has no actual choice, boring. TFA could've had c3P0 deliver Hans lines and the movie wouldn't have missed a beat, actually would've been better with no rathtar scene.
Wonder woman is looking like it's going to be specifically about women over men, "do i not look like one?"

It's a good thing your opinion isn't fact. I haven't made any excuse, I'm rejecting the notion them being handed their tools/destiny from the old cast is better than what we got, especially with the cool logical evolution/miniaturization of the tools, which the originals never gave us.

nnarum

For the record I was just stating my disappointment with the film. And it's not because the characters were women. It just feels like a SNL drawn out skit mocking something that just only has the name of the original ghostbusters.

Watched the movie the other day, I thought it was pretty good.

Super cute thing I overheard while walking out of the theatre: A girl, maybe 8, to her mother, "I liked this movie. Avengers only has one girl and this had 4 smart girls. I'm smart too."

Dalek

Why does a woman need a man to show her how things are done? Major issue with the new tomb raider series is her no longer being a bad ass because she can, now she has to slovenly follow in her father's footsteps meaning she has no actual choice, boring. TFA could've had c3P0 deliver Hans lines and the movie wouldn't have missed a beat, actually would've been better with no rathtar scene.
Wonder woman is looking like it's going to be specifically about women over men, "do i not look like one?"

It's a good thing your opinion isn't fact. I haven't made any excuse, I'm rejecting the notion them being handed their tools/destiny from the old cast is better than what we got, especially with the cool logical evolution/miniaturization of the tools, which the originals never gave us.

I agree with this. It wouldn't have worked if they just "inherited" their roles and gear. They had to earn it and in my opinion they did.

And yes my 8 year old girl wants to be Holtzman for Halloween.

gafneo

Banned
I'm calling it now. They are adding Chris Pratt as the 5th member in the sequel.

I could see Pratt as the bad guy who wants to take credit for starting his own GB squad. Him and the wonton guy get preasured into stealing tech by the possesion of Zool. Sigourney Weaver betrays the origional cast and reveals that she is Zool's vessal. Her reason to fight and capture ghosts would give her temporary fame, meanwhile making it look like the female squad releases ghosts with a found footage of one of them opening a trap in the chinese restaurant. Uncle Bill at one point, puts on the GB outfit and kills some ghosts. He says" I still got it.

I agree with this. It wouldn't have worked if they just "inherited" their roles and gear. They had to earn it and in my opinion they did.

It's interesting to me how there seems to be such a large percentage of 80s Ghostbusters fans that are only begrudgingly okay with new Ghostbusters if their existence is defined by what relation they had with their predecessors. How, some of the very people who were quick to claim these characters were gender swaps, would only be willing to accept them based off a literal relationship to the original four.

I'd honestly be curious to hear an anti-GB2016 person state what type of story for a new GB film they'd be open to besides a passing of the torch plot. Because that's all I ever hear.

I wish people would stop using this false equivalence. It's not about the fact that this movie has women, it's about how it's a reboot that replaces the original characters with different characters who are women.

There are plenty of bad reboots out there that were lousy ideas from the start, but they didn't get even a half the hate that this movie got the minute the cast was announced.

For the record I was just stating my disappointment with the film. And it's not because the characters were women.

And that's perfectly fine, but you shouldn't act like the characters being women didn't factor into the hate this movie got before any footage was even shown unless you're comfortable with being very wrong.

I could see Pratt as the bad guy who wants to take credit for starting his own GB squad. Him and the wonton guy get preasured into stealing tech by the possesion of Zool. Sigourney Weaver betrays the origional cast and reveals that she is Zool's vessal. Her reason to fight and capture ghosts would give her temporary fame, meanwhile making it look like the female squad releases ghosts with a found footage of one of them opening a trap in the chinese restaurant. Uncle Bill at one point, puts on the GB outfit and kills some ghosts. He says" I still got it.

You flipped from it being a sequel to the reboot to a sequel to the old films halfway through. You are aware that Bill plays an entirely different character in Answer the Call, right? He isn't Peter Venkman. That idea makes no logical sense.

Also, IMO having Sigourney Weaver getting possessed by Zuul again even though she's a different character would be terrible. That's a little too on the nose even for me.

Bad Trip

Banned
Got around to watching this film this afternoon . It's bizarre to me that people debated this film to the extent they did . The original two films were ok but I never had any real investment in them . The reboot was pretty by the numbers and the humor was so vanilla that I kept finding myself bored . I think I only kept laughing at Hemsworths character for how progressively stupid he become as the film rolled on . My biggest criticism is McKinnons character, the character was so eye rolling my obnoxious . I don't know who her character was targeted at as far as comedy but it wasn't me lol. Overall the effects were cool and the film wasn't bad , but it definitely wasn't a film I laughed at for being a film with a comedic cast nor was the films that entertaining . Reminded me of Anchorman 2 or Zoolander 2 , a comedy reboot that just wasn't funny or worth watching again .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom